Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 42 Old 04-27-2002, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 226
My neighbor wasn't happy with no widescreen on ESB, so he called. Whoever he talked to said that 4:3 IS widescreen and that WXIX-DT shows exactly the same as every other digital Fox affiliate in the country. So, my neighbor asks why his brother in Chicago gets a wider picture. The person at 19 backtracked and then said "Well, we upconvert. We hope to be doing widescreen in the future."

The number is 513-421-1919. I'm guessing the more calls the more quickly they'll get on it.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-28-2002, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I note that the ABC/WCPO website states that they broadcast in DD5.1. I recently hooked up my Samsung SIR-150 to my receiver with what I presume to be the correct coax cable, and simply do not get DD5.1 to come through... Otherwise get great HD reception on all the stations in the area for picture, etc. (Other that FOX of course.) Is this simply a case of false advertising, or am I hooked up incorrectly?
Thanks in advance.
post #33 of 42 Old 04-29-2002, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'll have to defer to Jeff on that one. I'm hooked up the ol' Pro Logic way, which works astonishingly well. The wife might be buying a DD/dts receiver for my birthday, although I told her the old one works quite well. I'm now sort of looking into something that takes at least 3 optical inputs and has hookups for two sets of speakers.

Confirmed from WLWT-DT that they will be carrying the Derby in HD.

Looks like I'm having another watch party. My basement was packed for The Masters. Figure that!

Doc

post #34 of 42 Old 04-29-2002, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm in same boat as you are Drbob, no DD5.1 from WCPO, or any of the other locals anytime that I've noticed ... Getting just DD 2.0 here ... I'm pretty sure things here are setup properly, and I get 5.1 or DTS from DVD no prob .... But I'd also like to "pull in" DD 5.1 from the DTV Receiver just to make sure!

Also, I think I asked someone at WCPO about this months ago, and I'm unfortunately a little hazy(too much stout since then) on the response, but I think they said they were "currently" doing only DD 2.0.

Doc, in case you might want to check this receiver out, For the Audio, I'm using a Yamaha HTR-5440 w/DD5.1/DTS, it has 2 optical inputs(which I'm currently using both of), but they also have a HTR-5450 which has 3 optical inputs and 1 optical output .. Both have a single Digital Coaxial input.

edit: Also, the receivers mentioned above have outputs for 2 sets of Main Speakers(A/B).

Jeff
post #35 of 42 Old 04-29-2002, 11:24 AM

No DD 5.1 here either. I'm sure it is a local issue, because I am passing 5.1 off of certain channels on D*TV. I've tried a couple of WCPO movies with no luck on obtaining DD 5.1.

On a seperate note, I am able to lock in WCPODT off of a RS DBT. I thought this was a UHF only antenna and WCPODT was transmitting on VHF.......?:confused:
post #36 of 42 Old 04-29-2002, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by CincyHD

On a seperate note, I am able to lock in WCPODT off of a RS DBT. I thought this was a UHF only antenna and WCPODT was transmitting on VHF.......?:confused:
It is a UHF "only" antenna and will not work anywhere near as well as a VHF antenna for VHF frequencies which WCPO-DT transmits on(ch 10), becuase it's not "resonant" at VHF frequencies, VHF wavelengths are longer than UHF, channels 2-6 Moreso than channels 7-13 ... Therefore, your bowtie would work a little better for Channel 10 than it would for Channel 2, but still, it can't work as well as it does on UHF frequencies.

BUT even a UHF antenna just like a coathanger can still pick up signals on any frequency, if the signal is strong enough at your location.

For instance, I'm sure if you are close enough to WLW's tower(700AM) the double bowtie could pick that up as well, although a wire 60~200Ft long would give better results if you were in Texas and trying to pull in WLW at night.

Jeff
post #37 of 42 Old 04-29-2002, 05:22 PM

Thanks again. I really appreciate the replies.
re: RS DBT antenna, that's what I use, and it pulls in everything this area throws at it, although in Villa Hills, I have great line of sight to all the antennas except WCVN, and I simply have to turn it around to face that tower for good reception.
post #38 of 42 Old 04-30-2002, 06:35 AM

I have used two STBs, the DST 3000 and the RCA DT 100. Using the Prologic setting you will get full channel. On DD, you will get only what is being transmitted, ie., either 2 channel or 5.1. This is true for OTA and Direct TV. I have found that on Direct TV, although the DD symbol is present, I only get 2 channel. Then, as last night, I was getting two channel on Band of Brothers, until the feature started, then I got full 5.1. I have learned to check to see if sound is coming from the center channel to see if I am getting 5.1. If not, I switch to Prologic. The Dt 100 does not pick up channel 10, however the DTC 3000 did, usually between 40-50 on the meter.
post #39 of 42 Old 04-30-2002, 06:39 AM

This has turned into the Cincinnati thread. Let's consider having an official Cincy thread each month, like some of the bigger cities. I will be in Florida the first two weeks, but will have my laptop. I have found these posts very informative.

L
post #40 of 42 Old 04-30-2002, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I certainly don't have a problem with that. Was thinking about using my own webpage for Cincy HD information, but this probably works better. Guess we'll start our own "May" thread, tomorrow.

Doc

post #41 of 42 Old 04-30-2002, 12:14 PM

Anyone receiving Showtime HD on Direct TV?

L
post #42 of 42 Old 04-30-2002, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I think they're still testing the transponder with an HDNet simulcast mapped to 198. I don't have Sat C. Gonna wait to see what they actually end up doing.

Doc

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page