Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 42 Old 04-13-2002, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Noticed last night that WLWT-DT is back on the air. New transmitter looks considerably tigher than the old one, or they're using better upconversion. Local news was almost frighteningly sharp. Fell asleep before Leno, though.

Has anybody had any luck getting through to WXIX-DT? The 4:3 upconversion problem seems to be fixed, but programs touted as being in "Fox Widescreen" might be in 16:9 for about 20 minutes, but that's it. Also still getting the squeezed 9:16 shows on occassion. I've quit trying to communicate with them about it because it seems to anger them when I do. And I'm such a NICE GUY.:rolleyes:

Dr Don

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-15-2002, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Leno is in HD tonight(mon) via WLWT-DT! Yahoo!

The audio was ahead of the video for the first 10 minutes or so, but since then it's been synching fine.

Everytime I've checked, WXIX-DT is also still doing the weird, squeezed, or vertically stretched 9:16("backwards" 16x9 squeezed into a 4x3(or less) frame )Thing during the Fox 480p feeds. For 16x9 480p stuff it's squeezed into 4x3, for 4x3 480p stuff it seems to fit about 1/3 of my 16x9's screen.

Don't know Doc, I didn't have much luck communicating with WXIX or Fox either. Sure, I would like to see them fix the problem, but mainly I was just looking for some kind of explanation/info from them as to what was going on ...all in all, it seemed about as useful as pounding sand.

Well, I suppose we're lucky here in Cincy, we've got 4 out of 5 local stations that can currently pass 16x9,(5 of 6 including Dayton CBS) and HD from the Big 3 Networks, I guess I don't need to watch Fox.

Jeff
post #3 of 42 Old 04-16-2002, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'll have to try to catch Leno on Friday when I can stay up past 8!

Guess I got lucky taping "Alias" this week. Accidentally selected the analog channel instead of the digital. I hear ABC did't feed audio with "Alias" in HD, this week. So, I didn't get 16:9, but then I didn't have to read the dialogue, either.

Doc

post #4 of 42 Old 04-16-2002, 06:53 PM

Liked: 10
Looks like WLWT has pulled a dissapearing act again, there's nothing there on 35 tonight.
post #5 of 42 Old 04-17-2002, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Why don't they broadcast 4:3 as 4:3...leave stretching and windowboxing duty to the set top box. Give us control over our image!
post #6 of 42 Old 04-17-2002, 12:52 PM

I live downtown Cincinnati and have just started receiving WLW. Signal strength was running 88-100, CBS runs 100, however ABC has dropped to low 40s, although picture quality is good. I get a similar reading on Channel 9 WT, although I have not received the weather for over a week. Is anyone receiving channel 9 weather? How does my signal on channel 9 compare?

Thanks
L
post #7 of 42 Old 04-17-2002, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Laird,

Good to see new folks from Cinci area at AVS, Welcome!

I'm North of Middletown at 33-39 Miles North of Cincy Towers and for the Cincy area DT stations currently on air I get:

86~88 from WCPO-DT 10(9-ABC)
88~94 on WKRC-DT 31(12-CBS)
86~88 on WLWT-DT 35 (NBC),
85~88 from WXIX-DT 29(19- Fox)
70~82 on WCVN-DT 24(54 - KET/PBS-N.KY)

All with no dropouts using a outdoor UHF/VHF combo antenna with a Mast Mount Preamp.

Also, with my reciever, On an interference free channel without multipath problems, anything fairly steady at 40 or above gives perfect picture quality with no dropouts, as you seem to be experiencing also.

I think WCPO-DT and WLWT-DT have actually improved their signal a bit in the last few weeks and since WLWT-DT has been back on the air, as I used to get 70~76 readings from both stations according to the "signal reliability" meter on the receiver.

For a while WCPO-DT was having problems passing through HD, they seem to have the HD back up now although they've had audio problems at times as Doc experienced.

I also haven't seen the weather on 10(9"WT")-2 for a while, although 10-2 is still there with a blank screen. I contacted the station a couple of weeks ago about the HD pass through recently, and they said it was a equipment problem, so they are probably still working out the bugs.

Jeff
post #8 of 42 Old 04-18-2002, 04:56 AM

I've pretty much given up on WXIX getting it right. I think it's pretty obvious that a) they don't know what they're doing and b) they don't care about those of us with HDTV.
Hopefully Fox out of Dayton will come online soon (same for ABC, since I have interference problems from Columbus, thanks FCC!).
Scott
post #9 of 42 Old 04-18-2002, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have been around AVS for a few years and posted under a different name. Changed email & changed user name. Recently installed a DST 3000 to receive digital. Started a new thread about WCPO.

LL
post #10 of 42 Old 04-18-2002, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Laird..
You might be getting multipath on WCPO-DT, being downtown, as you are. Since you're point blank to the towers, you don't need much antenna, at all. Plus, WCPO-DT is VHF, so if you're using a UHF-only antenna, that might explain the discrepancy.
Go to channel 9's digital site, www.wcpo-dt.com and sign up for the newsletter. The PD is pretty good about updating everybody. This morning's newsletter lists the upcoming ABC Big Picture Show movies that'll be in HD and informs that the weather on 10.2 (or 9.2, if that's how your tuner maps) is back, now. Never thought I'd use that very much, but I have.

FWIW, I'm in Florence. (If you ever fly out of CVG, wave as you lift off from the north-south runway)
Zenith 1080
ChannelMaster antenna, attic mounted.
Rat Shack 10db pre-amp (turned down to only about 3db)
Sony 57HW40

Doc

post #11 of 42 Old 04-18-2002, 10:31 AM

DrDon - Does this mean I can't pull in WCPO-DT with my Rat Shak DBT antenna? Also, anybody in the Cincy area had any luck pulling in WHAS-DT from Louisville? I would love to see Thunder over Louisville in HD.

Thanks for helping a HDTV newbie like me out.

Rob
post #12 of 42 Old 04-18-2002, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

That would be correct. Need a VHF antenna to do it. Shouldn't take much, tho. Fairfield's not that far out.. try rabbit ears and a combiner.

I haven't tried WHAS, largely because I can't turn my antenna. It's in the attic. But I might hide a DBT in the trees behind my house this summer and see how that works. The association would murder me if I hang anything on the house....

post #13 of 42 Old 04-18-2002, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CincyHD
DrDon - Does this mean I can't pull in WCPO-DT with my Rat Shak DBT antenna? Also, anybody in the Cincy area had any luck pulling in WHAS-DT from Louisville? I would love to see Thunder over Louisville in HD.

Thanks for helping a HDTV newbie like me out.

Rob
I received a report of someone from Lexington picking it up but no one from the Cincinnati area yet. But, keep trying on Saturday as they're supposed to switch to full power (1megawatt!)
post #14 of 42 Old 04-19-2002, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Let me know if you have any luck. If you can get it, I ought to be able to, but don't want to spend the day stringing bow ties in trees for nothing. The wife isn't going to like that unless it works. Maybe not even then (grin).

post #15 of 42 Old 04-21-2002, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

"America's Most Wanted" was in 9:16 last night. At least it makes the crooks look thinner. C'mon WXIX. You can do better than that.

post #16 of 42 Old 04-21-2002, 05:16 PM

Quote:
"America's Most Wanted" was in 9:16 last night. At least it makes the crooks look thinner. C'mon WXIX. You can do better than that.
Actually, they can't.
post #17 of 42 Old 04-22-2002, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'm beginning to believe you're right. Got 2 segments of "24" in "Fox Widescreen" about a week ago. The rest of the show was the 4:3 simulcast. The only Fox shows I've checked in the past week have either been 4:3 or the silly 9:16. Thank God there's not a digital feed from FOX for the race. That would be very hard to watch in 9:16.

Doc

post #18 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 06:43 AM

Since ch 35/5 NBC started broadcasting their digital signal again, I've watched the TONIGHT show once in HDTV 16x9. The other times I manage to stay awake all I get 4x3 non-hdtv. How often is the show actually passed on by CH-5 in HDTV?
post #19 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Not sure I'm the guy to ask. I'm in bed by 7:30, most nights, so I can get enough sleep for my OWN show. So, I only catch the Leno repeats that are on at 3AM.

I could guess and say that, since they never passed through HDTV before (always 4:3 until the Olympics), the guy on the switcher just isn't accustomed to doing it. It's only ONE SHOW. Might be better about it when NBC increases its HD offerings.

It could be technical. This is a new transmitter, a new antenna and new pass-thru equipment from NBC. Might not have all of the bugs worked out.

You might throw a call into WLWT and just leave a message. They may simply think nobody's watching. I'll do it, too.

Doc

post #20 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Guess I was one lucky bahstahd to have picked up WLWT-DT during last week's great tropo and caught, apparently, the only showing of Leno in HD. :)
post #21 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

WLWT-DT had Leno HD last night, but 4:3 the night before, at least for the first few minutes when I was tuned in.

On another note, noticed WKRC-DT Cincy is showing HD demos this afternoon, the strange missing pixel areas with the "orange dots" are back, hopefully they are working on getting rid of that, which don't occur during the CBS HD feeds.

Jeff
post #22 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I wrote the chief engineer at WLWT. I'll let you know what he says.

It's my understanding that the demos and movies WKRC-DT runs on its own come over a different satellite and that the problem is somewhere in that gear. But, to be honest, I think I got that information off of another board post. And, if memory serves, someone in another market watching the same show saw the same flaws. But, I've had several beers since reading that.

Doc

post #23 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Response from WLWT-TV says they'll be switching Leno to HD again, this week. Seems they were working on some of the gear.

Doc

post #24 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the running commentary, very helpful. What is your show, DrDon? I am having a digital sound problem with my DST 3000. They are going to install the RCA tomorrow to see if the problem can be localized, plus test the Tosh against the RCA. I originally did not want the RCA unit as it did not have component inputs and another piece was necessary to connect them. From what I have gleaned from this Forum, the RCA is the most reliable. What does everyone here in Cincy use for the STB?

Thanks

Laird
post #25 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Laird..
I do a morning radio show here in Cincy. And I'm using a Zenith 1080 and I absolutely love it.

Doc

PS: Anyone try to contact WXIX, yet? Like I said, I think I've worn out my welcome with them. Haven't watched back "24," yet to see if it's in Widescreen or weirdscreen, yet...

post #26 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Weirdscreen -- LOL! Hits the nail right on the head. Although only 4x3 supposedly 480p, It certianly does add a new, although unwanted "aspect" to the character "Bender" on Futurama!

No luck here getting info from WXIX or Fox. I've checked a couple of shows in the last week, some of them were upconverted 4x3, and some were in weirdscreen .... Will check to see what "Empire Strikes Back" looks like tonight if I get a chance. Not sure if it's supposed to be 16x9 or not.

Laird, I am using a RCA F38310 Integrated direct view HDTV, from what I can tell, the internal tuner is fairly equivilent to a RCA DTC-100. I really like it, the only minus was carrying it's 216lbs. in and sitting it in it's "spot" back in December 2001.

BTW, noticed at lunch that WKRC-DT cut into the middle of HD "Young and the Restless" to show the HD "demos" today, the first of which was a bit from Rob and Kit HD in the newsroom with HDTV info, as well as Cincy scenes in HD. I think WKRC is back to the 4x3 upconverts now.

Jeff
post #27 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

There's a Cincy riverboat documentary running on HDNet, too. Haven't seen it yet, but plan to.

Doc

post #28 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDon
Laird..
I do a morning radio show here in Cincy. And I'm using a Zenith 1080 and I absolutely love it.

Doc

PS: Anyone try to contact WXIX, yet? Like I said, I think I've worn out my welcome with them. Haven't watched back "24," yet to see if it's in Widescreen or weirdscreen, yet...
I tried emailing them about a week ago asking about how they pass through FOX programming as they are my only shot at digital FOX for at least 6-9 months.

No response yet.

BTW, are you all seeing normal signal strengths on the Cincy digitals? I wonder if they are all ramping up or preparing to make changes for May 1 of some sort?
post #29 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Haven't checked signal strengths. But they were all at 80%, anyway, given my distance and antenna setup.

I swear WXIX lost the owner's manual.

Doc

post #30 of 42 Old 04-25-2002, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

"Empire Strikes Back" tonite on 'xix-dt ... "Available in Fox Widescreen" logo at bottom ... but, I see 4x3 upconvert..... And the channel surfer goes "Click" ....

edit: Jerry, No real change in Signal "reliability" levels from the Cincy or Dayton DT's here, all except WCVN-DT KET are 82~94, WCVN-DT in N. KY generally ranges from 70~82 depending upon time of day and signal propagation conditions.

Jeff
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page