Masters Golf Tournament in San Francisco Area (Ch. 29) - drop outs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-15-2002, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

I was very excited to see the Master's golf tournament on CBS in HD this weekend. It was fantastic!! However, it dropped out a lot during the weekend. My "signal strength" on CBS (29 uhf) is pegged at 100, on my external Hughes DirecTV HD receiver. I am wondering why it was dropping, with occasional pixeling, several times an hour, also with audio dropouts, that required me to switch channels and then come back and it was ok. I will post this on some of the other forums as well, to see if others had the same problem.

Wondering if it was CBS or something with my installation/equipment or if this is normal?

Thanks..Dave
Belmont, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-15-2002, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
Dave
I live in the city and have my antenna pointed at sutro tower; direct line of sight and under 1 mile away.
I get drop outs all the time.
just wondering what stations do you get?
My next idea is to get a rotor. The only thing I can come up with is the antenna is too directional and a few degrees off wipes out the signal
Grant

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
post #3 of 12 Old 04-15-2002, 11:53 AM

I noticed dropouts as well. I'm pretty sure it's not my reception of KPIX because the light on my Samsung STB stayed green the whole time and reception of other stations were fine.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-15-2002, 11:56 AM

i feel so much better now! i live in atlanta, and had dropouts on what seemed like one paticular hole during the masters. my wife kept insinuating
that i screwed up the install. fyi - terk hdtv outdoor antenna>samung 150
receiver>15 pin>AE100

steve
post #5 of 12 Old 04-16-2002, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

GBishop - I get CBS, ABC, WB, KQED, KRON, FOX, plus several other alternate language channels from Sutro. The "signal strength" (from the HDTV receiver, not a real meter) is 100 on all of these channels. I have a clear shot to Sutro and can see it from my roof, with the naked eye. Probably 20 miles line of site.

My 2nd antenna, on the same mast, is a cut Ch 12 and is pointed to San Jose for NBC. This way, no rotor is necessary. Last thing I want is a rotor to contend with. So - I give up a few Fremont/SJ channels like KICU, etc. I have a big hill in my way to the South but after some recent experimenting, I do get NBC ok.

Not so certain about the absolute direction requirements, especially from your close proximity. Using a real signal strength meter may tell you something. However, I bet the signal is so strong where you are, you can probably get it with a coat hanger :D

I get most of the Sutro stations with just the RG6, not even hooked up to the antenna.

The dropouts may have been associated with the original broadcast, not the relay from KPIX. Jusy guessing though.

Regards...Dave
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 12:18 PM

Well, good for you! I cant live without a rotor here in Marin. It allows me to fine tune the weaker stations.Theres lots of terrain to deal with here. I get good signals from KQED, KGO and fair from KRON> What puzzles me is why cant a get KPIX and KTVU. , since they are all on the same tower. Maybe I need a preamp?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2002, 01:14 PM

ddarche,

Where did you get your cut Ch12 antenna?

fishman,

What's your antenna setup like? I live in a difficult area also and have no LOS to Sutro, but just recently I was able to receive KGO, KPIX, KBWB and KRON just by raising the antenna (CM4228) a few feet up the mast. Prior to the tweak, only KQED came in.

As far as preamps go, from what I understand, you only need one if your coaxial run from the antenna to your STB is long (60' and up). Preamps don't increase signal strength; you need a bigger or better positioned antenna for that.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2002, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

NiteWrider,

I got the cut CH. 12 antenna from an installer in San Mateo. Chris from Remtronics. In the phone book under antennas. Works out of his home. I think he gets them from Schad Electronics in San Jose. This dealer has to buy them in lots of 60, to get them. He has sold hundreds since the NBC affiliate switch.

Schad Electronic Supplies
980 South 1st Street, San Jose, CA 95110
(408) 275-6484

Good Luck - Dave:p
post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2002, 04:15 PM

Nitewrider: Got the same 4228CM bowtie mounted with RS rotor 6feet up then another 6 foot mast housing my Bowtie. The goy at Warren Electronics said the 7775 can boast a signal up to 20 plus DB, but if my signal is less than , say 35, Im out of luck! I find I need a signal well into the 60s stable rect. I get 72plus with KQED with a GREAT picture, around 62 on KGO and only 52 or so on KRON. Nothing anywhere else. I spoke to a guy from KTVU and he said to aim at KRON as their transmitter is next to theres. But, I think I know the REAL PROBLEM. Some, like KTVU is only transmiting at around 500kw, while other like KQED are at or near 1000kw. Go to http://www.hdtvpub.com for factural broadcasting figures. If THEY dont turn up the juice, It just want matter. What I cant understand is WHY I cant get KPIX as they are sending out the strongest signals and they are are in the general area at the SUTRO TOWERS. I am using a solid performer in the RCA DTC100. If you nhave any ideas, please pass them along!
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2002, 05:08 PM

ddarche,

Thanks. I'll give Schad a call tomorrow.

fishman,

Seems like your antenna is at a decent height. What's your antenna pointing at (a hill, trees, houses)?

You could have a multipath problem. How does your analog stations 32, 38 and 44 look?

Maybe a preamp is worth a try. I've mentioned that preamps don't increase signal strength, but Channel Master or Stark Electronic says otherwise. "ADDING A PREAMP TO AN ANTENNA SYSTEM HAS THE SAME AFFECT ON YOUR TV RECEPTION AS WOULD INSTALLING AN ANTENNA UP TO 16 TIMES BIGGER"
post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2002, 06:13 PM

Nitewrider: I have a few trees in its path, but maybe 100feet or more away. But, as I mention, thers a lot of hills between me and the tower. Like you mentioned, its probably a mutipath problem. I cant get a decent analog picture either/ have to watch the Giants on my Directv local feed as KTVU is weak on analog and non-existant on digital! I was told I could pick up some DB with a shorter RG6 run. I am using a 100ft roll and have about 30 feet extra. I might cut that down and see. If a preamp can(who knows?) give me 20 to 26 db increase, it still want help much im thinking since you need (I believe) a SS of , at least, mid 50s to 60 for the signal to lock in. So, I have to be at a starting point of, say, 30SS, if you do the math and IF this is the case. THIS IS REALLY A LEARNING AS YOU GO DEAL! We just keep experimenting> Thanks again for your input! Fishman
post #12 of 12 Old 04-22-2002, 09:37 AM

NiteWrider
After downloading the s/w patches to my HD100 no more dropouts! all of sutro comes in fine (as well it should)
thanks again for turning me on to the patches, can't understand why sony fixes gear and forgets to tell anyone who has it
isn't that the reasson for registering the things??

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page