Any word on WCIU Chicago - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-15-2002, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are a few programs I find entertaining on Chanel 26. They would be much improved by a digital broadcast even with bars on the sides. I find I'm watching a lot more WTTW now that it is so clear (besides their HD which is fantastic.) So I'm just curious about WCIU, last I heard was 5/1/2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-15-2002, 05:12 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saw a copy of the letter the FCC sent WCIU requesting more information about why they want an extension on the 5/1/02 live date. WCIU's reason was that they have been in negotiations with the owners of the Sears Tower concerning access to the antennas. The FCC wasn't buying it and wanted documentation on what was done when and why WCIU wasn't looking for space somewhere else. I hope the have to pay a big fine for dragging their feet:D
post #3 of 3 Old 04-15-2002, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A month ago I looked up WCIU and didn't see a CP Extension application at the FCC web page, but now there it is. Darn it, I was hoping they'd get on the air. They wouldn't show anything in HD, but it would be nice to have a ninth DTV station up and running.

I called the station back in the fall, asking when they expected to go live. The guy answered, "Uh, May 1, 2002" and I thought, yeah right, these guys really care.

This is the sort of thing that really makes me mad. We the public give these broadcasters free spectrum, and then they take it for granted and don't fulfill their obligations to get a digital transmitter up and running. I sure hope the FCC fines stations who aren't up promptly. I'm okay with most six-month extensions, but a big company like Weigel can afford the equipment. Fine them for not complying with the May 1 deadline is what I say.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page