Attic Antenna - Chicago Suburb - Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks
I am looking for information on anyone that has an attic antenna with Aluminium Siding.

I live close to Naperville

Has this worked? If so

<B> Thanks in advance </B>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

I had an attic antenna, and a house with aluminum siding. The attic antenna wasn't doing very well with WBBM-DT channel 3, but the UHF channels were coming in well. I read here that roofing materials can block quite a bit of low-frequency VHF signals, right where channel 3 is.

So finally this weekend I put the antenna on the roof, complete with a rotor. It's a big one from Radio Shack, with a 14-foot boom. I now get WBBM-DT steady at 65-70 signal strength, with no dropouts. The Masters this weekend was spectacular.

I would strongly recommend anyone who can't get WBBM-DT well to put something outside as high as possible, and with as long an element as possible. In the WBBM forum, Chuck DeCourt recommended a 92-inch element length, and mine must be pretty close to that.

Good luck...

Dan
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 09:03 AM

You say Chuck recommended a 92" element length. I assume this means 92" or larger?

Any antennas people would recommend?
post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 09:16 AM

I have an attic antenna, and a house with aluminum siding. Although the antenna is clearly above all the siding, I too understand that roofing material can decrease antenna effectiveness.

At the moment, I am receiving ALL digital OTA channels with few problems in the 75-85 range which is acceptable for signal lock. The exception is Channel 3 WBBM-DT, which is working at 45 - 50 but plagued with breakups. For WBBM I switch to AT&T cable where WBBM-DT comes in nicely at signal strength of 80-85 trouble free.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think it means 92" or longer. Channel 3 is in the 60-66MHz range. At 63MHz, the wavelength is 4.76m, or about 187.5". If I remember an old physics course correctly, an antenna length of 1/4 the wavelength is best, which gives 46.9 inches. Maybe each element must be this long, so the best antenna span for channel 3 is 93.7 inches, which is pretty close to the 92" given here by Chuck DeCourt.

So I'm thinking that's what's best, an antenna where each element is a little less than eight feet long. I don't think mine are quite that long, but I didn't measure. Maybe I'll go back on the roof.

I don't remember the Radio Shack part number of what I'm using, but it's a common antenna.

Good luck...

Dan
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2002, 11:23 AM

I've heard that the exact direction you point your antenna makes a big difference. I am in Naperville and pointed it as directly east as I could tell, being inside my attic.

Are there additional things I should do to ensure that my antenna is pointed correctly?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2002, 03:19 PM

Location: Centennial, CO **** Mits 46", SIR-T150, Sony Surround, Progressive DVD
I got a inexpensive compass ($18) and a map($1.50). Plotted my position, the position of the antenna towers. Made sure the antenna was pointed to that coordinate. Got me some HDTV........

If you build it, they will come.....
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2002, 07:40 AM

DMunn, I tried that, too, and got a crappy signal. when I gave up and just started panning the antenna, I ended up getting a great signal...about 10 degrees from where I 'should'. why? I don't care, I just know I'm getting the goods now.

'You never can tell what goes on down below; this pool might be bigger than you or I know'
Dr. Seuss
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2002, 11:52 AM

Location: Centennial, CO **** Mits 46", SIR-T150, Sony Surround, Progressive DVD
Could have been a couple of things.
1. Signal Bounce - any obstacles around you?
2. Magnetic Declination - You have to account for it .

If you build it, they will come.....
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page