Where's Baltimore in the DTV Transition? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2002, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed that there were no waivers filed with the FCC for extensions by Baltimore's WNUV and WUTB. The other day, I was driving out near 40 West and Rolling Road and I noticed that there appeared to be a transmission tower close to WUTB-TV's tower, but there appeared to be no antenna at the top. Is this going to be WUTB's new transmitter on digital channel 41?

I believe that WNUV-DT will be transmitting from the same tower as WBFF-DT. I'm guessing that a lot is in place there since I remember them doing some testing on channel 40 back when Sinclair was trying to prove the inadequacy of 8VSB. So, if they left that equipment in place they should be ready to go with little work.

Does anybody know the status of these two Baltimore stations and whether or not they'll be on the air by 5/1/02?

Also, when is WBAL-DT going to do some PSIP and drop the crop and stretch picture? It's hard to believe that they're getting the same feed from NBC as WRC-DT because unless it's HDTV, the picture is so much worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-16-2002, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I got no response, I decided to start calling stations today. I spoke to the lead engineer at UPN24 and he told me that if the weather cooperates and everything else goes according to schedule, they should be on the air by the 5/1/02 deadline. He's expecting the equipment to arrive at the transmitter site tomorrow. He also informed me that the tower I saw out in Catonsville has been there for several years. It used to be WBFF's analog, but they have since moved to TV hill. He indicated that they will be broadcasting at a lower power (since the FCC is allowing it), but that he expected the signal to reach "at least to DC and maybe Northern VA".
post #3 of 6 Old 04-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thats not very low power. wbal stinks, i cannot get through one showing of the tonight show wihtout frequent audio and video breakups.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2002, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info, Carlton.

Do you know the status of PBS in Baltimore?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-21-2002, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spoke to the lead engineer at Maryland Public Broadcasting about two months ago concerning the tower that they had just finished constructing in Annapolis for WMPB-DT 22. He didn't give a time frame, but indicated that once they moved the transmitter from the old tower to the new, they would boost the power. This should enable most of us to get the signal, but I got the idea that this was months away from happening. They are building similar towers throughout the state and it could be that they will be turning them all up in power at about the same time...

Anyone else have any info?

Coincidentally, WBFF-DT suffered a storm hit Thursday night that knocked out their picture on the digital station. I let their engineer know that there was sound and no picture. The picture was restored that afternoon, so he was very responsive. A while back, he told me that because the station is located right underneath the transmitter and because of their low power, they are unable to receive the signal and that they don't monitor it. I assume this will all change for them once they boost the power.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-29-2002, 07:31 PM

Can anyone see WUTB-DT, now on air at low power?
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page