Xium Air dish type antenna - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-16-2002, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking to install a rooftop antenna to my Toshiba DST 3000 to receive local HD broadcast. I was thinking about hooking up a Channel Master 4248 to a Channel Master rotor on my rooftop. I just happened to be reading the latest Popular Science magazine and I come upon an ad at the end of the magazine that's for a dish type antenna for the rooftop that claims it delivers local broadcast reception as good as, or better than, cable tv or satellite reception up to a 50 plus mile range. It's called the Xium Air and because it is dish type, the ad claims the antenna does not need to be rotated to pick any one channel. It says no aiming, rotating or turning. This sounds great and I'm half tempted, but it does sound too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience or input on this antenna? I can't wait for your feedback. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-16-2002, 06:34 PM

No aiming = no directionality = no ghost control = rocky DTV performance.
Hey! I've got a little device that turns all of your household wiring into an ungainly antenna -- it's called a capacitor. That's another bad idea. It's your money...
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2002, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Why would you put a parabolic reflector (which is very highly directional) on an antenna and then say you don't have to aim it. =Scam. Stick with proven designs for UHF. As someone posted here "put as much metal in the air as you can" to get best signal/noise ratio & strength. Antenna principles have not changed in the last 100 years. Physics is physics.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2002, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
kmann, I'd pass on the Xium and get the Channelmaster 4248. Heck, if you live close enough to the broadcast towers, you may even be able to get by with the Radioshack double bowtie indoor UHF antenna. Either way, you'll probably get much better results than with this snake oil Xium product.

Jim

EDIT: Ok, this is a different Xium product than the (poor) ones I've seen before. What the hell, if they guarantee you can return it, you might as well try it out. I think it's just their cylindrical antenna mounted on top of a "dish-looking" reflector. Could be interesting to compare its performance with something reputable like a Channelmaster 4248.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #5 of 5 Old 10-22-2003, 02:33 PM

I have acutally purchased and tried this antenna from their internet website, and let me tell you, it doesnt work for squat. I purchased their 70 dollar cyclinder "spilateral" antenna and installed it in my attic and picked up little/no vhf, and absoultely no dtv.

Go with the CM, or pick up a 20 dollar UHF only model at radio shack for about 22 bucks, and u'll probbaly most likely need a preamp like the CM 7775
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page