no local digital 2 or 5 in bergen co. nj !!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-18-2002, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
last week, after 6 months of perfect hd reception from local digital 2(2-1) and 5(44-1), i now get a black screen. explained the problem to directv, they send me a new card - didn't work. now directv tells me it has nothing to do with the receiver or the card. ive been using a rs bowtie antena and toshiba dst-3000. i re-booted, checked all diagnostics, everything fine. anyone else having this problem, please help, thanks john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2002, 03:29 AM

John,

Both WCBS-DT and WNYY-DT work fine on my RCA receiver here in N.Y. I am not familiar with that receiver. I assume from your post that it receives both Direct TV and over the air digital. If that's the case the Direct TV side has nothing to do with the OTA reception side. Try rebooting the receiver again and do a channel rescan.

Check your antenna and cable connections and the posistiong of your antenna to see if that helps. WNYW DT also has WWOR on 5-2. So if you get WNYW DT on 5-1 then you should also receive WWOR DT on 5-2 as well.

BK
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2002, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply bk. i did all of the above every day for the past week and still nothing. the rs bowtie antenna sits on top of my mits 55807 and is diplexed into the sattelite in line to my dst 3000 receiver. signal strengths for digital 2 & 5 were in the 80's since october 2001, now signal strength is only in the teens. i live in wood ridge, nj which is only about 5 miles away from the empire state building. please help, any suggestions welcome. thanks, john
post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2002, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I would suggest hooking your antenna directly into your TV set. Then see how analog channel 41 from Empire comes in. If it comes in good then the problem is probably not the antenna.

Have you tried doing away with the diplexing and hooking the antenna directly into the DST-3000 without the satellite cable connected?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-24-2002, 03:21 AM

BB,

Good point, I had a mulitplexer go on me at my home installaion on the sat side of things (I have 3 receivers on a single dish). Everythinig was fine all 3 worked then one just died. Thought at first it was the receiver till I took out the multiplexer and connected the antenna directly to the receiver. Boy was I annoyed. Oh well it happens. Yea check to see if the diplexer is bad. Put the antenna directly into the receiver and try that, then the TV to see what 41 looks like off of Empire. There still is alot of work being done at ESB so they may have reduced power on the transmit side. Also can you try an outdoor antenna?

BK
post #6 of 7 Old 04-24-2002, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for your advice bb & bk. heres the latest, i spent 3 hours yesterday jerking around with conections & talking to directv & toshiba(their no help).
finally the only way i can get local digital 2 & 5 is i hooked the bowtie antenna line directly to the cable-in input on the receiver and changed the setting on the local input guide to reflect this change and it worked with signal strength at 100.
if i run the bowtie line directly to the satellite-in line, that dont work. if i diplex the antenna line with the satellite line, that dont work. if i diplex the antenna line with the cable line and change the setting in the local input guide i get digital 2 & 5, but then cable is all screwed up(wife only watches cable).
so with or without the diplexer the only way so far i can get local digital 2 & 5 is to connect the bowtie antenna line to the cable-in input on the receiver, but then there is no cable.
am i overlooking somthing? could their be a problem with the receiver?
i hate to think that every time i want to watch hdtv on channel 2 i have to manually move wires and change inputs in the program guide. you guys have any more suggestions? thanks again, john
post #7 of 7 Old 04-24-2002, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

it also seems that after reading all the posts and threads in this forum and the hts forum, many other folks are experiencing the same type of problem, however, in most cases, but not all, powering off, re-booting and adding zip code bought back the local ota digital channels.
another odd thing happened yesterday when i first tried to set up local channels after the 5509 upgrade. when i went into local channel set up there was the new expected "lil" area, i clicked on, re-entered my zip code and zingo, still no local ota, since then the 10 times ive rebooted & aquired the new data and zip code data base upgrade the "lil"(local in local) button has disapered. please help, thanks, john
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page