WFMY2(51) is on TRIAD NC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-18-2002, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WFMY is on Ch 51. OF course Survivor is on so I can't tell anything about HD yet. ALso ABC45 is on CH29 as reported earlier and UPN48 (33)will probably make it by May 1.

nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Man..... too bad my antenna is in 2 pieces in the garage instead of on the roof until tomorrow morning :(
post #3 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 06:43 AM

Are you folks getting any guide information for WFMY, WXLV, WXII, and WUNL digital stations. For a few weeks I received guide info from WUNL, but now my RCA DTC-100 shows no guide info at all for any of the OTA stations.
post #4 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Checked CSI last nite and YES-HD! Neely as far as guide info is concerned usually mine is all screwed up, guide info for the wrong stations or none at all.

nick
post #5 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Neely
Are you folks getting any guide information for WFMY, WXLV, WXII, and WUNL digital stations. For a few weeks I received guide info from WUNL, but now my RCA DTC-100 shows no guide info at all for any of the OTA stations.
Not on my Mits HD5. either. In fact, I get no guide info on any of my OTA's. Including WCNC & WBTV.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, WXLV probably not be HD capable this year. Apparently Sinclair gave them millions for the tower & most equipment, but stiffed them ~$40K for the HD converter in engineering studio.

Oh well, hope the 9' boom antenna I'm putting up tomorrow will hit ABC-Charlotte. I was really looking forward to ABC's primetime in glorious HD, and (I know, I know) FOX widescreen, where most of our favorite sitcoms live.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 08:10 PM

I saw the press release today (Friday) and tuned my RCA DTC100 to Channel 51 - no signal. Good signal on WXLV's 29 and intermittant on WUNL's 32 (I must turn my antenna for a good lock). WXII is similar to WUNL, but they've only been on in the evenings as far as I can tell.

Still no signal Friday night on Channel 51.

They are only a mile away from WXLV-DT, is reception that hard?
post #8 of 21 Old 04-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

I'm also getting 0% on 51 from the South side of town. I've also got 10% on 32 becausing the attic antenna won't turn any more. So WFMY's all HD-ready? Does anyone know about WGHP? I haven't heard anything about how the're doing lately, and most of our favorite shows are 420p, which is better than the super-compressed WGHP I get from DirecTV.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-20-2002, 07:46 AM

OK, I'll blow my cover....

I'm the Chief Engineer for Pappas TV's WTWB Ch. 20.

Here's the deal in the market....

- WFMY can not replicate their Analog Coverage with DTV. Ch.2 carries better than Ch.51.
- WGHP will file for STA, allowing them to operate at less than Full Power.
- WXII has also filed for a STA.
- WGPX has filed for an extension and STA. (The FCC recinded their DTV permit and re-issued it later.)
- WTWB has filed for extension and STA. (The FCC granted us our DTV permit on January 22, 2002. Even if we opted to build out at Full-Power, it would take almost a year to get all the materials ready. We were not going to order anything until we had permission from FCC.)
- WUNL will continue to operate at Full Power, they have recently applied to maximize their power.
- WXLV and WUPN will file for STA's. (WXLV and WUPN are located on the 2,000 foot tower that Pappas started and sold to American Tower Corp.)
- WLXI has filed for an extension and STA.

In the Race for Digital - here's the results:
#1 - WXII - 9/11 killed their BIG plans, limited air schedule
#2 - WUNL - on air 24/7
#3 - WXLV - finished in February, on air 24/7
#4 - WUPN - finished in February, but currently has problem with transmitter.
#5 - WFMY - finished in March, status unknown
---------------------------
#6 - WGHP - still under construction
#7 - WTWB - bidding vendors for STA
#8 - WGPX - unknown
#9 - WLXI - unknown

No station to my knowledge has converted to a digital plant, similar to what WRAL did in Raleigh last year. Most stations had planned to up-convert their NTSC signal.

In Greensboro, we are almost at the point where a digital re-build of the plant would be cheaper than maintaining our current NTSC facilities. At NAB, we looked at server technology that would replace our entire tape library cheaper than converting to a digital tape format.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-20-2002, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for "coming out", dubbadon. It's good to have an expert located here in my area. Please feel free to e-mail me any time you need feedback once WTWB gets off the ground. I usually have nothing better to do than scan OTA channels over here. roland@triad.rr.com
post #11 of 21 Old 04-22-2002, 08:27 AM

Here in Reidsville (25 miles north of Greensboro), I enjoyed WFMY (51) for two or three glorious days, but now the station has gone totally dead. Anyone have any guesses why? Has power been reduced? Broadcast radiation pattern changed? Or have birds nested in my $18 Radio Shack bowtie antenna.

One other question - what's a STA?
post #12 of 21 Old 04-23-2002, 05:29 AM

Every time I try WFMY-DT, I get nothing.... When did you receive their signal? (Fri. 8A, 6P, Sat 12N, 8P, Sun 1P, Mon 2P - Nothing for me).

STA - Special Transmitting Authorization or in the words of the realists - "whimps way out". The FCC realized that their transition to HDTV was never going to make in two weeks, so that provided a "reasonable alternative" - as long as stations provided a minimal signal of their city of license by a certain date, they did not have to build out a HIGH POWER DTV system that would replicate their analog coverage area.

SO, instead of transmitting at 1 Million Watts, station might be broadcasting at 3,000 watts. If you have a GOOD outside antenna, this probably won't affect you - but forget about getting a signal without an outside antenna.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-23-2002, 09:17 AM

Here's the answer to what happened to WFMY. It comes from WFMY enginner Andy Hitchcock.

"We have encountered a technical problem with control of the transmitter.
In a nut shell we can not maintain remote control so the system shuts
down. We are working on a solution at this time. We hope to have the problem solved shortly."
post #14 of 21 Old 04-26-2002, 07:35 PM

Let's party!

As of 9 PM on April 26, WFMY-51 is back on the air with HDTV!
post #15 of 21 Old 04-27-2002, 06:23 AM

Cancel the party. WFMY-51 went dead again at 11 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-27-2002, 09:20 AM

If what I was told was right - then WFMY lost control of the transmitter and it shut down as required by law - automatically.

Sometime this weekend - look for WGHP-DT to sign on - Ch. 35. They installed their antenna Tuesday. The transmitter was scheduled for delivery on Friday. Their staff planned to begin installation as soon as it arrived and work through the weekend until it was operational.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-27-2002, 03:41 PM

Hey dubbadon,

Do you know Charlie Layno? He is (or used to be) transmitter engineer at ch 8.. I've known Charlie for years, however, I moved away and lost touch. I need to go hound him sometime soon to see what he's up to. I used to work with Stu Smith in engineering at Magic radio a while back. Nice bunch of people to work with. I used to hang out a lot at the 1000 foot stick where tv20 was located at the time. They had a contract engineer maintaining 20 when I was there. Been a while!

Regards,
Steve
post #18 of 21 Old 04-29-2002, 08:23 AM

WFMY NEWS

WFMY-51 came back on Sunday (4/28) night at 9PM for the HDTV broadcast of Living With The Dead. The picture quality was simply stunning. No Dolby Digital audio, but not sure if program was recorded in Dolby Digital.

The signal stayed on through the movie and then for the local newscast As soon as the Andy Griffith Show came on at 11:35 PM, the digital signal was switched off.

During the HDTV broadcast, there were two other standard definition sub-channels present, but with no programming. All three channels were being mapped to 2-1, 2-2, and 2-3. Also present was guide information in full detail, including all information about the movie
post #19 of 21 Old 04-29-2002, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

FOX8(35) & WUPN48(33) are now on the air. Fox8 must be at low power because the signal isn't that strong.

nick
post #20 of 21 Old 05-14-2002, 01:07 PM

Hi from Roanoke. Our Channel 7 signal has had some regular viewers in parts of Greensboro through the years. WDBJ-DT is up at full power on Channel 18 (but the PSIP will identify it as 7.1, 7.2, etc. Is anyone with a rotor picking us up down there?

Bob Lee
retired TV guy
post #21 of 21 Old 05-14-2002, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes! I am able to pick up WDBJ most of the time. WPXR comes in usually at night while WSLS is iffy. I have not been able to get CH20 though. I have an attic install of a CM 4251 but am going to set up a APS U-92 soon to improve reception of Roanoke and maybe even Charlotte stations.

nick
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page