Channelmaster 4228 antenna - Detroit area success - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-19-2002, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
after my less-than-great reception test using the little RS double-bowtie indoor antenna, I bought a Channelmaster 4228 UHF antenna with tripod roof mount from a dealer in Ann Arbor. I installed it last week and once I got it aimed correctly, I'm pulling in all 6 of the Detroit locals' digital/HD signals with at least 80-85% on each one, and PBS (WTVS) comes through with 93%.

This is interfaced with my Dish 6000 box using the 8VSB module. As add-ons, the 8VSB and the antenna & tripod cost me a combined $265. That still seems a bit steep, but the results far exceed my expectations! My Toshiba 50HX81 tv never looked better. I'm still in awe of the unbelievable picture quality, color and extreme detail of HD.

The only downside is after watching a local channel through the antenna for a little while, when I switch back to a Dish satellite provided channel, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the 6000 box to "re-acquire the satellite signal" and give me a channel guide. A minor annoyance.

Regards,
Al

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alhull
The only downside is after watching a local channel through the antenna for a little while, when I switch back to a Dish satellite provided channel, it takes about 20-30 seconds for the 6000 box to "re-acquire the satellite signal" and give me a channel guide. A minor annoyance.
Sounds like something's not right. Have you let the 6000 receive the latest updates? When I get the chance of getting reception on the Cincinnati CBS station, I'll hit the recall button on the DISH remote to compare against CBS-HD on 9453.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2002, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have my 6000 box set to allow system updates without asking. I can only assume it has the latest s/w. The apparent "loss" of satellite connection happens after a period of time has passed. It's almost like it knows it's only tuning thru the 8VSB module and goes into "powersaver mode" with the sat. connection. If I directly punch in a channel number like 9440 for HBO-HD, it will tune that channel in, but the Guide listing for that slot say "no info" or such, and then after 30-45 seconds it shows up with the details.

Regards,
Al

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

I've seen that happen even when watching purely DISH stuff. Seems it loses sight of the bird and resets or something (even in clear weather). Also, I've seen the receiver freeze or lock up (like a PC) when I'm tuning local digital channels on which I can't receive reception at the time (because the antenna is pointing away). I have to power down the receiver and turn it back on.

I just shrug my shoulders and go on. I'll live with that until the day it finally doesn't come back. THEN, I'll be :|

:)
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page