Local Koin TV advertising as the "HDTV" station - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2002, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was very pleased to see our local CBS affiliate, Koin TV have an advertisement during their regular SD broadcast extolling the virtues of HDTV. The basic premise was that in the evolution of TV, Black and White to Color to Big Screen etc, that Digital HDTV was the next great innovation, and that they were the local leaders in this transition
Kudos to Lee Wood and his compatriots at Koin.

michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2002, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

This ad is part of the "Digital TV Zone" NAB/CEA campaign that Lee talks about on his website.

Unfortunately, it uses the undefined term "high resolution" TV, the same one Fox uses to describe their offering.

But what really makes me gag is the admonition at the end, "for more information, see your local TV retailor". Yea, right! Case in point: I was in Best Buy during part of the CBS Masters' Saturday broadcast. The store was packed, what a pefect time to showcase HDTV, right? Not a chance. There was a MITS widescreen with a Samsung SIR-T150 in the corner, boh turned off. I tried playing around with them, but to no avail. It appeared there was no antenna connection. There was even a customer there expressing interest in HDTV, and asking about what he might need, but a little misinformed and looking for information. The pimple-faced kid in the red shirt was feeding him the usual dose of flat out wrong information. I couldn't believe it.

Meanwhile, every TV in the place was playing some DirectTV demo loop, from a satellite apparently so poorly installed the picture would break up with a "lose of signal" message every few seconds. These guys don't even try to do things right. I'm also guessing that they must have some promotional kickback deal with DirectTV to only show their demo on the store TV's.

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2002, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I know what you mean, Barry, I live in the Salem area and our local Best Buy doesn't even have an outdoor antenna hooked up. I asked why they weren't showing people what was available locally and the guy told me that HD reception requires a "special HD antenna". ROTFLMAO! Sad, but the guy was probably not even 20 years old and has probably never even seen an antenna.:rolleyes:

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2002, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Somewhat (or a lot) OT, but here is another reason to avoid Best Buy:
Quote:
Best Buy said it is willing to work with the recording industry, manufacturers, distributors and other retailers to develop an anti-copying process for CDs.
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....y=breakingNews
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page