Help! Can't Get HDTV in Scottsdale AZ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-25-2002, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can only get 2 of the 6 HDTV channels. I went out and got the second largest antenna from Radio Shack (installed in attic) and can only get channels 26 (UPN) and 36 (NBC). Any suggestion on what I might try to get better reception. I'm around 101 and Cactus in Scottsdale. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks
Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-26-2002, 05:50 AM

Lee:

I guess that your antenna is a good UHF antenna? All the digital stations are UHF here. Since you get two signals I wouldnt think distance or line of sight would be factors in this instance.

Kevin
post #3 of 14 Old 04-26-2002, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

The antenna is model VU-120XR, according to RS it's spec say:

The VU-120XR VHF/UHF/FM Antenna is specially designed to provide improved performance compared to similar-sized antennas. Radio Shack's engineers have made this possible by using two special design features:

UHF Bowtie - delivers more of the UHF signal to your TV.
Since UHF signals are more difficult to
receive than VHF signals, this antenna gives
UHF signals the extra boost they need.

VHF/UHF Isolation Network - prevents the two types of TV signals from
interfering with each other. This results in
cleaner signals and better pictures on your
TV.

length 120" height 38" boom width 95" elmts 37
Gains lo-band 5.2 hi-band 7.6 uhf 8.8 fm 1.6

Do you think an amp of some sort would help?

Regards,
Lee
post #4 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I use that same antenna, with a rotor. The rotor is really the key, get a Channel Master rotor!!!!! Also, in my case, my roof line was blocking the angenna some, so we put on a longer pole so the antenna is just above my high roof line.

I have a friend, Gerry Behm, who redid my antenna to shore it up, raise it up, and rotor. He lives right by you. As a custom installer, he does this for a living. If you're willing to pay, you could contact him to get your antenna setup to work!!!! If interested, e-mail me for his e-mail. But I must emphasize that CLEARANCE and ROTOR are a must!!!!

I have tried amplifiers and they aren't needed here. They actually worsen signal reception, once you have a rotor to maximize reception.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #5 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 08:27 AM

Would I be safe in assuming that OTA HDTV's not available in the Anthem area, because of the hills? The broadcasts originate down in Phoenix, right? Or are there towers up Scottsdale way? Scottsdale towers might be good new for us!

Ross

Ross Taylor
Anthem, AZ
My System's Stuff
post #6 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Steve thanks for the reply. I tried an amp and it did nothing. So I moved the Recoton TV3000 antenna outside on the roof of the patio and what a change. I now get all 6 digital channels with signal strength from 50 to 60. Not great but watch able. The RS antenna is still in the attic as it's to big a pain in the rear to remove and I don't think my HOA would be to happy with me if I moved it onto the roof.

Ross,
I don't know about OTA in Anthem but I think the transmitters are on South Mountain, If so I think you'd be able to get a signal.

Regards,
Lee.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, does anyone know if channel 3 has any plans to start transmitting in digital?

Cheers,
Lee.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 04:48 PM

I e-mailed Channel 3 Friday morning, asking if they were going to make the May 1 deadline-so far, I've heard nothing back. If/when I do, I'll post the reply here.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The stations are all at South Mountain!!

Channel 3 has no digital plans whatsover. The former GM of Channel 3 was President at Temple Emanuel where we belong, but she recently left to move out East with her husband, and she had told me NO WAY was Channel 3 ever going to do HD if they could help it!!! Frankly, that is understandable, their being an Independent and all, not having major network support, and the cost of HD for what is now still a limited, although growing market. I dare say there's nothing I watch on Channel 3 anyway!!!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #10 of 14 Old 04-27-2002, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, if you have mountains actually between you and the transmitters at South Mountain, like which is the case for Fountain Hills, I've "heard" that HD and digital reception can be very problematic.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-28-2002, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Steve,
That's too bad about channel 3, I was really wanted to watch the D-backs in HD.

Cheers,
Lee.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-28-2002, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RossVTaylor
Would I be safe in assuming that OTA HDTV's not available in the Anthem area, because of the hills? The broadcasts originate down in Phoenix, right? Or are there towers up Scottsdale way? Scottsdale towers might be good new for us!

Ross
I don't remember who posted the message, but there is one forum member in Anthem and he stated that he has an antenna in the attic and gets all of the Phoenix digitals. I live at Carefree Highway and Central which is a few miles closer and have no trouble receiving the Phoenix digitals even with a hill directly between South Mountain and me. The good thing about being up north is that you can point the antenna in one direction for all of the stations.

Al Keown
post #13 of 14 Old 04-28-2002, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm surprised that you have to use a rotor. Of course I'm in Tempe and the towers are 7 miles west so I can use a set top UHF antenna. All the towers are on South Mountain within a few hundred feet of each other, so changing orientation of your UHF antenna in North Phoenix, or north of Phoenix, should not be required unless you are getting the signal from some "bounce."

Thanks for the info, Steve, on Channel 3. I guess we should consider ourselves somewhat lucky for the HD transmissions we DO have --not kicking any dead horses today...:rolleyes:
post #14 of 14 Old 04-29-2002, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually, my antenna stays in one position for all channels generally. But occassionally, I will have reception problems for a channel, and the freedom to use the rotor on that occassion solves the dilemma.

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page