SF Bay area KNTV 11-1 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 45 Old 05-06-2002, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
KQED went back to 30.1 and 30.2 last night (Sunday). Have no idea why or whether they'll return to 9.1 and 9.2 shortly.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-07-2002, 05:04 PM

Liked: 10
Well, I took the advice I received and went to Schads. I will admit to making the run to Radio Shack, Good Guys, Frys and even OSH first, none of these people know what they are talking about. At least the guy at the Good Guys was honest enough to steer me away from one of the more unpopular antenna brands that they happen to sell.

Anyway, Schads set me up with a Winegard VHF and a channel 12 joiner. I already had two UHF antennas stacked on a mast, so I placed the VHF between them, facing south, towards Loma Prieta. After all of the chatting, driving, spending, working and almost falling off my roof, I still don't get KNTV 11-1 (12). I also noticed while on the roof that the previous installer had installed a Channel Master pre-amp, so I ran ALL signals through this, including the VHF for channel 12 (after the joiner), still no signal. Every other channel I can think of looks great, and has a VERY strong signal, nothing at all from KNTV. When I check it out on my tv, it comes up and tells me the call letters, channel number and program that should be on, there just isn't any signal at all (zero signal registered). I tried pointing the antenna more west, than south, didn't help at all. Any ideas? Let me just say that the guy at Radio Shack on Almaden Expressway tried to get the same channel and could not, he said it wasn't on the air. Can someone in the San Jose/Almaden area verify they are receiving it and tell me what they did to get it?
post #33 of 45 Old 05-07-2002, 05:18 PM

Found this out, the Channel Master pre-amp I have mounted to my mast is model number 7775, UHF ONLY! I'll have to visit their web site, but my guess is it's filtering out the VHF signal that I took the time to put in.
post #34 of 45 Old 05-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

D'oh!

Sean Kelly / Independent Consultant
http://www.seankelly.tv/
post #35 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 09:20 AM

you know HD is so easy to set up and so problem free and so cheap you wonder why everone doesn't have it????
Opppps it's opposite day (as Calvin woud say)

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
post #36 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 10:29 AM

Liked: 12
ringgold,

I am getting it quite well in Belmont, despite a hill in the way to my immediate South. Just in case, look for it on 11-1 or 12-1 Variious tuners seem to pick it up differently.

Dave
post #37 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 10:31 AM

My problem was I hired a "professional" who sold and installed, "everything you will need to get great HD reception." The only detail, he happened to leave out, was that he was limiting me to HD reception coming from Directv and UHF, and that if any stations added HD on VHF later on I would have to add an antenna, a joiner, some cables and replace the amplifier he WAY overcharged me for to begin with. I'm off to Schads again today, hopefully by tonight I will have a better report.

To those out there who are thinking of hiring someone to do this, either do it yourselves, it's not that hard. Or if you do hire someone to do it for you at least make sure you are getting EVERYTHING you need, at a reasonable price, right from the start. Don't make the mistakes I made because I was in a hurry to get a good picture.
post #38 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by ringgold
Found this out, the Channel Master pre-amp I have mounted to my mast is model number 7775, UHF ONLY! I'll have to visit their web site, but my guess is it's filtering out the VHF signal that I took the time to put in.

I can speak from personal experience.... YES, it IS definitely blocking KNTV's VHF signal! In my case, all I had to do was swap the CM7775 with a CM7777 (UHF/VHF), and my reception is 80%+, even with a CM yagi UHF antenna! The UHF specs are the same for both preamps.
post #39 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 02:40 PM

Well Schads didn't have the next model up in the Titan line (7777) in stock, didn't have the 7778 either. I purchased another Channel Master UHF/VHF/FM pre-amp from them, specs weren't quite as good, but close. Hooked it up, tuned into 11-1 and what do you know, there it was!

Thanks for the advice from those who provided.

Oddly, it, and the roof top, mast mounted antenna, didn't help my FM as much as I thought it would. Oh well, that's a different chat room all together.
post #40 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Not another FM DX'er ... :)

Sean Kelly / Independent Consultant
http://www.seankelly.tv/
post #41 of 45 Old 05-08-2002, 06:56 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by ringgold
Oddly, it, and the roof top, mast mounted antenna, didn't help my FM as much as I thought it would. Oh well, that's a different chat room all together.
If you are still using that channel 12 joiner, that would kill the FM reception. FM is between channel 6 & 7, and the UHF antenna certainly won't pick it up.
post #42 of 45 Old 05-09-2002, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DAP,

Not quite so, I'm using a channel 12 joiner and I get FM just fine. If you have as your main antenna a FM/UHF/VHF or FM/UHF or just FM the joiner is not going to do anything to the main antenna except block channel 12 on the main and join channel 12 from the second antenna (assuming it's a UHF).
post #43 of 45 Old 05-09-2002, 11:34 AM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My understanding is that he has a UHF antenna attached to a channel 12 antenna via a channel 12 joiner. The only chance he has of getting any FM is through the channel 12 antenna, but it would be blocked by the channel 12 joiner.
post #44 of 45 Old 05-09-2002, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DAP,

If combining a UHF (only) antenna to a VHF only antenna then I would use a channel 12 joiner - just a combiner. But the VHF antenna I added did not cover the lower VHF band. There are a lot of configurations that you can get into with all the different types of TV antenna today. And that's way you either have to know your stuff or rely on someone who truly does know his/her stuff or your going to spend a lot of money and....
post #45 of 45 Old 05-09-2002, 08:58 PM

I live in North Monterey County and receive KNTV 11-1 pretty well with a UHF antenna(Channel Master 4228 w/7777 uhf/vhf preamp). I used to receive KBWB-19 until this month. A local repeater of KCNS-38(Home Shopping Network) started up here on channel 19 -probably from Fremont Peak- and blew away the weak signal from KBWB. I still get the analog signal(KBWB 20), but the picture quality varies a lot with weather conditions.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page