SF Bay area KNTV 11-1 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone notice that KNTV (11-1) was sending a correct PSID. Or, at least one thay the Mits STB could display the program guide. The channel display was also changed from KNTV-HD to KNTV-DT. Don't know if that was due to the PSID or not. Also noticed that the volume was way too low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I noticed too: there's 11.1 KNTV-HD and 11.2 KNTV-SD now. My SIR-T150 gives my good signal and a green light on 11, and can display the picture on 11.1, but shows NO SIGNAL on 11.2. Apparently, there's two channels in the data stream, but nothing in the second channel?

Sean Kelly / Independent Consultant
http://www.seankelly.tv/
post #3 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I noticed that also. Yes, the volume is very low on the HD channel. I am still getting a small stutter (instantaneous freeze then catchup) in the video approximately every 5 seconds. Pretty irritating. Is anyone else seeing this? I had a solid signal from KNTV through the Olympics but now fine this not watchable. Not sure if they made a change or what. I pick their signal up on my UHF Yagi aimed at Sutro and have never tried anything else. The sound is solid, only this irritating stutter in the video.

..Doyle

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
post #4 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DoyleS,

I'm not seeing the video stuttering you see. Last night's ER was perfect, as far as SD goes. What STB are you using?
post #5 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ken for the input. I don't see a problem on the SD signal. I see a problem on the HD signal on 12-1 (11-1). I am using a Unity Motion HD1000A which has always served me well. No problems on any of the other channels. The only complaint with the receiver is that it does not show the signal strength so I don't know if I am getting a solid signal into my antenna. If everyone else is getting the HD signal with no problems, then I will have to look at adding a VHF antenna for channel 12 and combining that with my UHF signal.

..Doyle

post #6 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DoyleS,

If your ant is pointing north to Mt Sutro and the backend has a straight line of sight to Loma Preita I've heard there should'nt be a problem. I'm in the east hills and I had a heck of a time getting KNTV-DT (channel 12) until I added a small VHF ant w/ a channel 12 joiner.
post #7 of 45 Old 04-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

I myself pick up 12 with the RS Double Bowtie pointed in just about any direction. :)

post #8 of 45 Old 04-28-2002, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I it just me or has KNTV-DT turned the volume way-way down? I just installed a new Denon AVR-4802 yesterday and I had to turn the volume so high that when I changed channels it hit the peak limit on the speakers. Just when I thought they had fixed all their problems (video; psid; display sync-up time) they go and blow it with the audio.
post #9 of 45 Old 04-28-2002, 10:59 AM

The volume is super low! Too bad I can't watch 11.1 and listen to 20.2 simultaneously.
post #10 of 45 Old 04-29-2002, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken,

Which small VHF antenna are you using and which joiner? I took a quick survey at Shack and Fry's this weekend and didnt' see much for small VHF antennas. The Fry's in Sunnyvale didn't have much inventory so there might be others available. I also haven't seen "Joiners". Lots of Splitters and as far as I can tell I would think they are bidirectional. I had hoped to find one that would take coax in and out with VHF and UHF inputs so that I don't get the VHF antenna picking up UHF stations and adversely affecting the signals from my UHF antenna.

..Doyle

post #11 of 45 Old 04-29-2002, 01:32 PM

DoyleS,

I think you'll find what you need here Stark Electronics.

Schad might have most items you need in stock, so I would check w/them first. Also, Schad stocks VHF Ch. 11-13 cut antenna available in 6 elements (50") or 10 elements (100"). They cost between $19-$33.

SCHAD ELECTRONIC SUPPLIES 980 S 1ST STREET SAN JOSE, CA 95110 (408) 275-6484

Hope this helps.
post #12 of 45 Old 04-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoyleS
I also haven't seen "Joiners".
This is what you will be looking for at Schad (Fry's won't have it.) . . . the ChannelMaster model 0582 Join-tenna:
http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/cjs1.htm

What I really need is a "join-tenna" tuned to allow bandpass of both channel 11 and 12 . . . Everything else I get from Sutro. Anyone know how to build one?
post #13 of 45 Old 04-29-2002, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dagman,

I first thought that I would need a channel 11 & 12 joiner. But I don't seem to have a problem receiving channel 11 from my RS UHF/VHF/FM antenna pointed at Mt Sutro. Just a small VHF 11-13 antenna and a channel 12 joiner has worked for me since the first of the year.
post #14 of 45 Old 04-29-2002, 06:40 PM

Liked: 12
Dagman,

Yup - Niterider sent you the proper prescription. I have a Winegard CC-3113, which is cut for channel 11-13 VHF and I also employed a Channel Master Join-tenna, which you can use to add a Ch 11-13 antenna to your existing installation and still run one lead to your theater.

I have two leads (one VHF cut 11-13 and a UHF lead coming into my house and have the CM join-tenna inside and it works very well.

Schad should have all of the stuff you need.

Dave
post #15 of 45 Old 04-30-2002, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks,

I forgot all about Schad. That is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted the VHF/UHF isolation that you don't get when you use a splitter. Hopefully that will solve this mini-freeze problem I have been getting on the 12-1 HD.

..Doyle

post #16 of 45 Old 04-30-2002, 03:11 PM

DoyleS,

I also have the "mini-freeze" problem. I monitor ch.11 for noise/static. When I see many color dots running across the screen in the formation of a horizontal band, I see hiccups on digital 12.
post #17 of 45 Old 05-03-2002, 11:36 AM

Do I have any hope at all? I'm less than a mile from Sutro, but on the N. side of the hill, perfectly blocked line of sight to the south. Has anyone pulled in a signal from this kind of aspect?
post #18 of 45 Old 05-03-2002, 12:01 PM

Liked: 12
Tombair,

I am in a similar spot, however I am also much closer to SJ than you. There is a significant hill in my line of site but I do get it quite well.

VHF is a bit easier to get (versus UHF) in a challenging location, as the signal tends to hug the ground. I have my vhf antenna on a 15' mast, but the hill is about 150' high.

Regards...Dave
post #19 of 45 Old 05-03-2002, 01:51 PM

Liked: 11
tombair>
I am in a similiar spot, west side of sutro. I've been in talks with an antenna guru who basically said its hopeless from my location, I think the exact quote was "forget Ch12." I asked him about the jointenna but he said that because of my distance from loma prieta I would need an amp, which would then pick up noise from sutro. He also said that the jointenna would probably never work right because of my proximity to sutro. Not only that, but sunset heights gets in the way for me (my house is around 450 ft elevation) and beyond that is mt davidson at around 700 feet. past that though your'e home free (56 miles) to the tower. I havent tried yet but I may do so this weekend despite his predictions. I'll let you know if I get anything, which I doubt.
post #20 of 45 Old 05-03-2002, 02:39 PM

You have to figure there's many, many more who can't even get *analog* NBC reception in SF (have a dish for it myself) so we shouldn't hold our breath for a Sutro DTV xmitter any time soon.
post #21 of 45 Old 05-03-2002, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm between the Castro and Noe Valley east of Twin Peaks with the largest Radio Shack VHF-UHF antenna available about 10 feet above the roof. I can't get channel 12 or 49-Telemundo, but I do get channel 52 (virtual 36).

I haven't tried an amp yet and I'm going to try to find a shorter run for the coax so that I can decrease the length. I'm running close to 100 feet of RG-6 and I'm afraid I'm losing quite a bit of signal through it.

I'll be watching your progress and will give another report here if I have any luck.

Now that 20.2 is no longer carrying NBC, I can't watch NBC at all. Channel 11 is too ghosty to watch off the antenna, and I don't have cable or the local channels on DISH.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #22 of 45 Old 05-04-2002, 01:30 PM

I receive most HD channels in the area quite well, but when I tune into 11-1 (KNTVHD) it tunes it in (displays call letters and channel), but does not bring up a picture or sound. I have a Mitsubishi HD-5, and what I believe is a pair of UHF antennas (they were installed on a mast by a pro, which is why I am not positive what they are). I think that I need to either change the direction of one of the antennas, or add a VHF/UHF combination antenna to the group. Clearly, I know not what I am doing. Can someone please help? There are a few shows on NBC that are worth watching, but not on a 65" tv after being unlinked to a satellite then back down again on directv channel 11, it looks almost blurry by then.

I live in the Almaden area of San Jose, I'm told notorious for bad reception, but get 2-1, 4-1, 5-1 and 7-1 just great with the set up I have. The only hold out is 11-1, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Direct contact regarding this issue can be forwarded to mscottring@aol.com.
post #23 of 45 Old 05-04-2002, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ringgold-

Welcome to AVS Forum! Yes, you probably need a VHF antenna to fix your problem. A good test for your system/location, would be to look at your reception of analog channel 11 over-the-air using your existing antenna(s), and then trying other antennas or adjustments as needed until that channel is reasonably clear and ghost-free. How is your reception of DTV channel 52 ("36")? That one is also in San Jose, but I don't know if it is at the same location as KNTV.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #24 of 45 Old 05-04-2002, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

52 (36.1/36.2) is on the hills over Milpitas, while 12 (11.1/11.2) is south of San Jose on Loma Prieta.

post #25 of 45 Old 05-05-2002, 02:14 PM

ChrisW6ATV-

I checked 52, it's pulling just about 100. I checked a couple of others while I was at it. Of course 11-1 comes up, but shows 0 on the meter, 2-1 (56), 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 7-1, 9-1, 9-2, 20-1, 44-1 and 48-1 all came up around 100, only a couple of them dropping down into the 93 range from time to time. Time of day was 12:30pm, extremely clear and no wind. I don't know if any of those are factors at all, but I am getting great reception on the channels that I DO get, for the most part. I really don't want to add more stuff on the roof, perhaps I can replace one of the two UHF only antennas I have with a UHF/VHF model. Is there one you can recommend for this area?
post #26 of 45 Old 05-05-2002, 02:18 PM

Also, would just making an adjustment of some type to the existing UHF antennas enable them to receive 11-1? I know I am most likely reaching at this point.
post #27 of 45 Old 05-05-2002, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ringgold,

KNTV is on channel 11/12. Both are in the VHF band - UHF ant ani't gonna make it. I have a large RS UHF/VHF/FM antenna and I have problems receiving channel 12 and I can see Loma Preita from my place. I had to add a small VHF ant along with a channel 12 joiner. Now everything working as it should.
post #28 of 45 Old 05-06-2002, 09:40 AM

Ken, Thanks, looks like I will have to check out some VHF models and see which one is best for this area. I hope I can get by with one that isn't too big or too expensive. More worried about the size issue than the cost right now though. Dom't know what the other component is that you mentioned, is that something that Frys or Best Buy would have? And is it something I would need? Also, I see a lot of negative posts on one specific antenna manufacturer. That said is there one you would recommend?
post #29 of 45 Old 05-06-2002, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ringgold,

The joiner is a box designed to electronicly join 2 ant. The one I have is designed to take the signal in the channel 12 band and merge it with all the other channels, minus channel 12 on the main ant. The other method for just 1 ant would require a rotor. And I hate rotors - makes channel surfin' a bad experience. I got the small VHF ant and joiner from Schad Electronics in San Jose. 408-275-6484
post #30 of 45 Old 05-06-2002, 01:00 PM

BTW In case the North Bay is more convienent, elecronics plus in San Rafael has a good supplly of antennas, rotors etc and the people actually know something (?!?!?!?!?) about them

I am in the Haight and get 36 and 49 but no digital 11. I have my antenna on the roof (3 stories) but sutro is in spitting distance.
I had no 9.1 & 9. on sunday, anyone else????
Grant

"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception