What happened to WBBM? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2002, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the last 2 days I have completely lost any signal from 3 digital. All other Digitals are upper 90s. There is no flicker like multipath, it's just 0. Anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2002, 04:28 AM

WBBM was terrible here (South Evanston) on Thursday night -- lots of dropouts and breakups, about every 10-15 seconds. Hadn't been this bad, I don't think, since they upped the power to 2/3 months ago.

Usually WBBM and all other channels are great here with only an indoor set-top antenna. I'm lucky, I guess.

This morning (Saturday -- early...) it is rock solid and beautiful again, though nothing is on in HD at this time.

I've read somewhere on this forum that atmospheric conditions play havoc with the low VHF band, and perhaps that was it on Thursday night.

Anybody else got any feedback?

Doug
Old 04-27-2002, 08:25 AM

I watched Survivor Thursday with no noticeable reception problems. I think this is the nature of the beast - channel 3 is susceptible to changes in the atmosphere, weather, etc. I'm less than 2 miles away, but my crummy rooftop antenna does not have a clear shot - the building next door blocks it. Some days it pulls it in fine, some days it's not watchable at all. On those days, I pull out the rabbit ears, by flattening them all the way out I get a stable signal in the high 50's which is very watchable. Thursday was one of those days.

It's ridiculous that almost everyone says the same thing - 'all the other digitals come in great, except for WBBM.' I can use an 8" loop for UHF signals, but I need something 8' wide to get ch 3?
Old 04-27-2002, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

The mystery to me is that I had been getting a signal in the 50s since they started with the occasional drop out. I watched the masters and it was really nice. So I said to myself what the heck I'll take it out of the attic and put it on the roof. Now all the other channels are greatly improved analog channels are so good I'm thinking of dropping the locals except I would still like to get cbshd from the dish, but dish doesn't always broadcast the same programming as WBBM (the masters for example.) Normally when reception is bad I can see the signal bouncing from 0 to 60 now I get no signal at all.

Halla$%^&*luya, I have a Panny stu51 I plugged it in and did a scan... low and be hold digital 3 was there. I killed the power to the dish 6000 and removed the ota module. I reinserted the module remade the connections and looked for 3 digital. It was there at 85%. I don't know what happened but now it works better than ever. Oh well, trials and tribulations of an early adopter. Thank you to all that replied to my post, you made it obvious that the problem was on my end and that's where I should be trouble-shooting. Now WBBM is stronger than WFLD, but both work fine. Thanks again and sorry to have taken your time