WB20 in Detroit: Bad news. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2002, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally got around to e-mailing the Detroit local WB station, WDWB, regarding their DTV plans. Here is their response.

Quote:
As for WDWB-DT or WB20 as it is known, we have had an application pending with the FCC for construction of our DTV allocation since November of 2000. However, because of our proximity to the border that application must also be approved by Canada, the rules governing this are part of an international treaty. Industry Canada, the Canadian equivalent to the FCC, has not approved our application and therefore the FCC has not acted on it either. We are currently working with both US and Canadian organizations to resolve this, so we can begin our DTV build-out project.

When will this be approved and when will WDWB begin DTV operations? I cannot even guess at the answer to that question. We are actively working to resolve the problem and I expect we will begin build-out as soon as we have the required FCC Construction Permit.
The response was timely and professional, so I am going to ask a few follow up questions, and will post the reply here, when I receive it.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Ken,

Thanks for the update, I've been wondering when the WB was going to go digital. Do you know if the WB network has any HD plans for the upcoming year? I highly doubt it but I thought I would ask in case I missed an announcement.

Rick
Old 04-27-2002, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The WB has announced they will use the 720p HDTV format for distribution, but I know of no specific plans as to when they will actually have HD programing. It seems possible we could see some filmed episodic programs this fall, like CBS & ABC are doing.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 04-27-2002, 11:08 PM

I find it interesting that WDWB is indicating that they will not be on the air anytime soon due to delays with getting approval from the Canadian authorities. They have not filed for a CP extension and their is at least one station in the Detroit or Toledo (my memory fails me at the moment ) area that has the same problem. However, the other station did file for a CPExtension along with an Exhibit detailing the reasons for the delay.

Despite the nature of the problem, is it possible that WDWB-DT could run into problems with the FCC since they did not file an extension?
Old 04-28-2002, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

[quote]Originally posted by Ken H
I heard that Industry Canada was only taking a cursuary look at the applications and then giving approval until:

WKYC-DT Channel 2 Cleveland went on the air

Now they want to look at every aspect in triplicate to make sure that this does not happen again. What genius in the FCC assigned Ch 2 to a Cleveland digital channel?
Old 04-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The same FCC genius who assigned Ch. 3 to CBS in Chicago I guess.....It does not work well and they can't broadcast at full power on ch.3 because it wipes out ch.3 output cable boxes!

R. B.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 86
And the same idiot that assigned digital channel 43 to WTVS pbs in Detroit when the is a religious channel on 43 in lower Michigan already. Do they understand the concept of co-channel interference???