Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 6619 Old 02-16-2003, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Buckeye,

Yep, 30-2 has been there more or less since they signed on 5/1/02 via a RCA DTC-100 -- Always has been blank, so far anyway.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oops - I guess I forgot - I need to write these things down! Still looking for 58, though!

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #273 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
any word yet if ESPN HD will be carried by TWC?

post #274 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 01:10 PM

Hey guys, I'm thinking of having my RPTV calibrated. Have any of you worked with an ISF tech? Is there an ISF tech in the dayton area?

hey REGNUS, have you had your pioneer 730 done? If so, did it make a big difference?

Thanks....

Evan
post #275 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 01:12 PM

Evan - please let me know if you find a tech. I may consider the same thing done. Just did the taxes yesterday

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #276 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was thinking about having mine done, also. I've heard of a guy from Maine that travels all over. His name is Gregg Loewen and I've read very good things about him. He's scheduled to be here this month but he's booked solid. He said he would be back in the Dayton area in May or June if he got enough responses for another trip here. It's a non-refundable $50 deposit to book him. I was hoping for someone a little sooner than that. http://www.lionav.com/
I hope this isn't against the forum rules to post his link.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #277 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 03:03 PM

A search on the imagingscience website reveals a couple local calibrators if I remember correctly. I'm thinking of getting my set calibrated too.
post #278 of 6619 Old 02-18-2003, 05:49 PM

I would be up for signing up for a tour. I would want to make sure Greg does pioneer TVs. Isn't he know more for MITS?

We should all get together on something...

Evan
post #279 of 6619 Old 02-19-2003, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a price list at Audio Etc probably about 8 or 9 months ago for a local ISF calibrator.

post #280 of 6619 Old 02-21-2003, 12:06 PM

Hi, I'm a HDTV newbie. I live in Beavercreek and just started to receive DTV signals this week using a Samsung SIR-T165 STB and a Silver Sensor indoor antenna. I was wondering if someone could sum up the availability of HD programming in the Dayton area.

As far as I can see, the OTA situation locally is something like this: WHIO-DT (41-CBS), WKEF-DT (50-ABC), and WDTN-DT (51-NBC) are all broadcasting HD and WRGT-DT (Fox-30) and WBDT-DT (WB-26) are broadcasting SDTV. But from reading this thread, I see that HD stations don't always broadcast every HD-available program in HD or drop back to SDTV during the middle of programs.

I guess my question is: is it worthwhile getting an outdoor antenna to pick up the Cincinnati stations? Can I get a widescreen (albeit 480p) Fox or a hi-def WB station from there? I'm not so concerned about PBS but are there any HD PBS stations on-line in that area?

Another question concerns the local Time-Warner cable. It seems like the only HD channels available on their digital cable package are HBO and Showtime? Do they now offer or plan to add any of the local DTV channels?
post #281 of 6619 Old 02-21-2003, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Scaper,

Welcome to AVS, looks like you've got the situation pretty much pinned for Dayton. However, generally, WKEF-DT is really the only one(knock on wood)of the 3 doing HD in Dayton from which we lose the HD occasionally. WPTD-DT 58 (PBS) Dayton should be on the air beginning of May.

As for Cincy, WXIX-DT 29(Fox) Does Fox Widescreen(480p - Upconverted at WXIX to 1080i) --- Sometimes, they don't do it right, though and we end up with "weirdscreen" instead. Currently, WXIX-DT is on the air only during prime time, and sometimes on Weekends when Fox Widescreen is available. WSTR-DT 33(WB) Only Does SD at present. PBS wise, WCET-DT 34 Cincy does PBS HD, currently, 15 hours per day of it, but they are currently at low power(7 KW ERP) and might be difficult to pull in from Beavercreek, at least until they go Full power, which is currently planned for mid-march.

There is also another PBS/KET station in N KY, WCVN-DT 24, but it would probably be difficult to pull in from Beavercreek, as its tower is a lower one than the other Cincy stations and it's a few miles further south.

The Cincy ABC(WCPO-DT 10), NBC(WLWT-DT 35), CBS(WKRC-DT 31) stations all do an excellent job providing Network HD. These, or the Dayton stations make for a good backup should something go wrong at one or the other stations. WKRC-DT 31(CBS) also has Parmount's HD One Movie Package, once a month on Friday's at 8pm. "Ferris Bueller's Day off" was in HD last Friday. The last couple of years, they have also done a local production of WEBN/Riverfest Fireworks in HD. One "fly in the ointment" for you may be WBNS 10 Columbus analog, which may put enough signal into your location to make WCPO-DT 10 Reception difficult.

For more Cincy Info, Check out the Feb 2003 Cincinnati thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=221488

(Note: Past Month's threads can be very useful as well)

Anyhow, from Beavercreek, you'll never know what you'll be able to pull in with a decent outdoor setup until you try(Being on a hill, or relatively high spot instead of down in a valley would be a good thing for you too), but, in addition to Cincinnati Stations, Some of the Columbus stations may be within range as well. WWHO-DT 46 Columbus/Chillocothe(UPN+WB) may especially be a good target for you, since I believe they DO have WB HD+ Paramount's HDOne Movies.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
post #282 of 6619 Old 02-21-2003, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Scaper -

Regarding Time Warner - I understand that they have recently started carrying WRGT-DT and WKEF-DT on channels 745 and 722, respectively.
post #283 of 6619 Old 02-25-2003, 12:26 PM

I posted this reply from the VP of Marketing TWC in another thread. Here is the link. More HD channels on the way.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...17#post1921717
post #284 of 6619 Old 02-28-2003, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

No HD from WKEF-DT for "Mr Sterling" tonight, It was in HD via WLWT-DT Cincinnati.

WXIX-DT Cincy has the Baywatch movie in Fox Widescreen, WRGT-DT Dayton, of course(since they only DO 4x3 SD -- All the time!) does not.

WKRC-DT(Cincy) was 22 minutes late in switching to HD for the Springsteen show tonight, WHIO-DT still has letterboxed SD upconvert.

I'm really glad I'm not "stuck" with just the Dayton stations :-)

Jeff
post #285 of 6619 Old 03-01-2003, 04:13 AM

How frustrating... Hypothetically, is there harm in ALWAYS keeping HD on? I mean, sure it might have an ill effect on SD material, but there's always the analog station for that.
post #286 of 6619 Old 03-01-2003, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

They lost me as a viewer when Springsteen wasn't in HD.

post #287 of 6619 Old 03-01-2003, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
Hypothetically, is there harm in ALWAYS keeping HD on?

WCET-DT (PBS Cincy) Currently does just that(when they are on the air, 8am-11pm), but, PBS feeds them HD/Widescreen programming 24 hours a day over the PBS HD Sat feed, the other networks don't.

It really shouldn't be THAT big of a deal for stations with the necessary equipment for HD Passthrough to properly do the switching to(and from) HD when it is available from the network, even if the switching is done manually, which the last I heard is the case at least for WKEF-DT. The only station I know for sure at the present time that has automated switching to and from HD(and automated switching/insertion of local ads during HD programming) is WLWT-DT Cincinnati.

Nevertheless, here are a couple of the problems involved with leaving the HD feed from the network switched "on" all of the time :

1.) Soon, a requirement from FCC goes into affect which requires a digital station to simulcast a certian percentage of their analog programming, the precentage goes up to 100% before 2006. I think this is an issue FCC will be reviewing soon, however. Granted, this shouldn't be a problem for the stations running a simulcast of their analog station in 4x3 on their 2nd subchannel. However, for those with TWC that would probably(for the time being at least) just be getting the main subchannel from the digital, if upconverted programming weren't shown, then all TWC would get from the digital stations would pretty much be a blank screen/test pattern/etc except during the times when HD programming was being shown.

2.) Most stations (understandably!) want/need to insert local ad spots into HD programming anyhow, which requires switching between SD/HD sources.

It's very frustrating and a real PITA, but about the only thing we can do (besides switching channels) is call/contact the station and ask them for HD when it is supposed to be there, and remind them we notice, when it isn't there. It's a silly way to do things IMO, as they should do it right if there is even a CHANCE that 1 person is watching(which is always the case I'd think), but if they don't get any calls when they "mess up", they often don't think anyone is watching, or that anyone cares. They certianly should know better by now though!

Hopefully, someday their will be so many of us watching, and calling them when they mess up they'll finally get the idea that they HAVE to get it right.

Sometimes, the Networks mess up at a higher level, or an affiliate can have difficultly with the feed. But, Luckily, there are often "on time, On demand" threads in the programming area at AVSforum(there is one on "The Boss" on CBS last night), where you can see if folks in other areas of the country are getting HD -- This helps us when the stations tell us "The Network didn't send that in HD/etc --- as we know better!" Also, most of us with OTA around here can pull in Dayton and Cincinnati stations, and can usually see what is going on. It's actually rare that both network affiliates in both Cities miss the HD ... Bruce last night being the first exception I've seen in a long, long time where stations from both cities missed the HD.

Jeff
post #288 of 6619 Old 03-02-2003, 08:14 AM

Nitewatchman,

When you notice that HD is off when it should be on and you call the particular station, do you just call the general number? Or are there direct or alternate lines that you now know to call?
post #289 of 6619 Old 03-02-2003, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can call the general number(or newsroom since there is usually allways someone there) and ask to be transferred to master control(or engineering), if that doesn't work, just tell whomever answers that there should be HD on the digital station but it isn't there.

Thanks,

Jeff
post #290 of 6619 Old 03-03-2003, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. this is odd. At 11:50a, noticed that I wasn't getting a signal from WKEF-DT on 51, so, on a whim, I tuned an analog tuner to 51, and I'm getting the "Shop at Home Network" from a analog station from the direction of Dayton! Haven't seen an ID as of yet, but my guess is it is WRCX-LP Dayton, which was displaced from 51 when WKEF-DT hit the airwaves. WRCX-LP has a Construction Permit from FCC to move to Channel 40, but they've yet to show up there.

WRCX-LP has also recently had a "Remain Silent Authority" for Channel 51 "Accepted for Filing" by FCC on 2/28/2003 ....Perhaps there is some testing going on of adjacent channel issues/etc, but, it Doesn't appear as if they are remaining silent on 51 currently!

Jeff
post #291 of 6619 Old 03-03-2003, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

This makes NO sense! ID of WRCX-LP 51 Dayton confirmed(scrolling ID at 54 minutes past each hour). See screenshot below. WRCX-LP has been on the air on channel 51 since before noon today. I've sent messages to WKEF, WKEF's Chief engineer, and Sinclair with no response so far, I'll post if I hear anything. If they are trying to Share 51 with the 2 stations on the air at different times, I don't think that is a very good idea! It will really mess up some of our tuners/DTV receivers, since (at least the DTC100) will default to NTSC analog and stay there until a channel rescan if a analog signal is received.
LL

Jeff
post #292 of 6619 Old 03-04-2003, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

I'm curious what TWC viewers are getting on 722 which is/was WKEF-DT.

post #293 of 6619 Old 03-04-2003, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

I'd like to hear from the TWC folks concerning 722 as well. My "guess" would be that WKEF sends their signal, or has a backup to the TWC Dayton's head end By fiber or microwave.

I've been thinking about it, and although there are a lot of scenerios I can think of, one possibility is that there is probably some sort of issue that is currently "requiring" WRCX-LP to be on the air, and the two stations have some sort of agreement, at least until WRCX can get moved to 40. Or, I suppose WKEF-DT could have had some sort of Maintenence/upgrade planned, which is giving WRCX a chance to get on the air for a while.

Without any facts, just a lot of speculation is all I can do, unless someone will tell us what is going on! I realize there could be a "sticky" issue involved with this, but, the fact that noone at the stations is telling us what is going on, and that there is no info on it at FCC site/etc currently, or in the Media AFAIK, are what is bugging me about this, and especially so since Sinclair is a company who supposedly is interested in serving OTA viewers.

So, also, if anyone knows what is going on, please post and let us know.

Jeff
post #294 of 6619 Old 03-04-2003, 09:37 AM

I received an email back from Roland Martel at WKEF, saying that they had some parts fail and that the parts were overnighted and they will be back up this afternoon. I did tell Mr Martel about the analog LP signal present on ch 51. I'll let you know what he says! FYI, the email address I used was: rmartel@sbgnet.com - I got that as a "technical concerns or questions" email address from the nbc22.com website. It's nice to get a reply from these guys for a change!

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #295 of 6619 Old 03-04-2003, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Buckeye,

Thanks for the info, and would appreciate any further info you can provide. Good to see they've added Roland's(WKEF/WRGT Chief engineer) email address to the website, that should be an Excellent place for us to direct comments. Roland has been very helpful and informative in the past to my inquiries(I posted quite a bit of info from him much earlier in this thread), but lately I haven't heard anything back from him, or the station.

Anyhow, I sent him a screenshot(to that email address) of WRCX-LP during ID Yesterday, Kinda Makes me wonder if WRCX-LP has been broadcasting for quite a while, but, WKEF-DT is just "covering them up" when they are on the air! LOL. WRCX-LP is still on the air presently, so, if they are still on the air at the time, it will be interesting to see what happens when WKEF-DT comes back on the air, although I would *think* it might cause some sort of interference issue, at least for some, for both stations to be on at the same time!

Thanks again,

Jeff
post #296 of 6619 Old 03-04-2003, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

WKEF-DT is back on the air as of 4:03pm. I also just received a reply from Roland Martel, which contained the same info as Buckeye had posted ... However, he also said that he notified WRCX that they could go on the air for the time that WKEF-DT was off the air.

He did apologize for taking so long to answer my inquiry, but I don't mind, I'd rather that he be getting the station back up and running rather than answering my emails ;-)

It was odd though to see another Dayton station using 51 while WKEF-DT was off air!

Jeff
post #297 of 6619 Old 03-04-2003, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

First, the good news, A quick check shows WKEF-DT has HD "right off the bat" at 9pm for Fraiser tonight! Way to Go WKEF-DT! They even made it through the first local ad insert without too much disaster! Anyhow, They do, after all deserve some credit every now and then, being that they were the 2nd Digital station on the air in Dayton, and even came on Early for the Month of February 2002 in order to give us the HD Olympics.

Now the bad news ... While WHIO-DT did have JAG in HD at 8, they are back to upconverted SD for at least the first 17 minutes of part II of the "Salem Witch Trials", WKRC-DT, CBS Cincy has the Movie in HD.

Certianly, I know better, but, I was about to say, if only WRGT-DT would do Fox Widescreen, and, if WBDT-DT would do WB HD, and when WPTD-DT makes it to the air with PBS HD on 5/1/2003 we'll be set for OTA HD(and Fox widescreen) in Dayton -- Although, it certianly would be nice also if we had a UPN Digital station in Dayton -- Or even Cincinnati for that matter.

Jeff
post #298 of 6619 Old 03-09-2003, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

It's been a while since I've aimed the antenna towards Oxford, however, I see that WKOI-DT 39 (TBN) has changed the ATSC format they are sending! Now, they are using a 16x9 ATSC format(Seems like it's either 1080i, 720p or 480p, and, they are stretching 4x3 to Fit 16x9 --- Yuck!

Does TBN have HD or widescreen plans? That would certianly be a big surprise.

It's still 1 subchannel, and audio is only coming out of the right channel.

Jeff
post #299 of 6619 Old 03-12-2003, 06:40 AM

Anyone experience audio problems on Tuesday evening March 11, with Whio-DT??
I had bad sync and breakup.

Jon
post #300 of 6619 Old 03-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Jon,

Yes, I experienced the same thing. It must have been WHIO because WKRC-DT was fine.

Paul

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page