Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 6614 Old 04-24-2003, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope we aren't TOO off topic here - mods, speak up, if we are!

Sounds like you have as much fun with this stuff as I do
Oh yes!

I collect antique radios and vacuum tubes. Also have a couple dozen transistor radios. If you guys need any tubes, let me know. My prized possession is my Grandfather's old 1942 Zenith upright console w/ record player. It has 12 tubes. It's one of those shutter-dial kinds, with SW, and the old FM band (it was only around for a couple of years and went away when the war started).

---------------------------------------

In my last house (far north Centerville), I had a nice big outdoor antenna on the chimney with a rotator, and inside one of those wireless remote controls for the rotator - it read out in compass degrees. Could get an OSU basketball game on channel 10 on a good night. Now, where we live in Washington Twp, they have an ordinance against TV antennas, so I have to live with one in the attic - which for digital TV, works real well, pointed at Gettysberg Rd area, 330 degrees.
---------------------------------------

One thing about "line of sight", "RF Line of sight" and Optical line of sight are 2 different things

Right - I remember when I did some calculations, for me, I was to add 5 degrees (CW) to the geographic LOS to get the RF LOS.
------------------------------------------------

re: WRGT site - they do have two towers, like right next to each other. So, maybe some of those 5 stations you listed might be on the other tower.

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 6614 Old 04-24-2003, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye1010
Now, where we live in Washington Twp, they have an ordinance against TV antennas, so I have to live with one in the attic
[/b]

No, you don't have to live with that. There is an FCC ruling which prohibits any "organization"/etc. from prohibiting outdoor TV antennas. While there are certian cases in which they can make it a PITA, basically, the FCC ruling indicates you can go up to 12' above the roofline on property you control. It's the law. Do a search on the forum for "OTARD" or "HOA" for more info. Banning outdoor antennas makes about as much sense as banning the use of flagpoles/etc, and HOA's etc have made attempts to do that as well.

Quote:

re: WRGT site - they do have two towers, like right next to each other. So, maybe some of those 5 stations you listed might be on the other tower. [/b]

That makes sense as if I recall correctly from the FCC site, the coordinates for a couple of the stations did differ by a couple of seconds. It also makes me think the one with the 3 masts on top is fairly new. I looked at them several months ago while driving by on route 4, but didn't get a good enough look ... BTW, there is a tower on the other side of RT 4 that has a LOT of antennas hanging off it, and one up by Hara Arena which has more antennas hanging off a single tower than I think I've ever seen! I meant to get a pic of it when up at Hamvention last year, but I think I ended up getting sidetracked by a 50KW Dummy Load in the Flea market

Jeff

Jeff
post #333 of 6614 Old 04-25-2003, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

At 4:57pm, I tuned to 58 --- And ... WPTD-DT 58 PBS Dayton is on the air!

Getting a solid signal here which seems to be matching the other Dayton stations ... 80-82% readings from both receivers and solid reception.(ANT used is a CM3010 "STealttenna" aimed towards Dayton and side mounted to tower 28FT above ground)

Presently, I assume they are testing, these are the subchannels I'm getting(1st column from DTC-100 with Channel remapping turned off, 2nd column from HDV420 with channel remapping)

58-2 (16-1) - 480i Simulcast of WPTD 16 programming
58-3 (16-2) - Blank
58-4 (16-3) - Blank
58-5 (16-4) - 480i, current Simulcast of WPTO 14 programming
58-6 - (16-5) - A 16x9 ATSC format, probably 1080i or 720p - Blank

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Hmm ... I'm getting No audio via the Zenith HDV420 from either 16-1 or 16-5, but the audio is fine on both subchannels via the RCA F38310 (basically, a internal DTC100)

Jeff
post #334 of 6614 Old 04-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Jeff,

I thought you would beat me to it. I just tuned in and in addition to your observations, I noted the details listed here:

16-1 Think16
16-2 16KIDS
16-3 16TOO
16-4 THINK14
16-5 THINKHD

Only picture on 16-1 and 16-4. No audio on any of them with my Sammy. All of them show up as SD.

Paul

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #335 of 6614 Old 04-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if they care, but I just sent a signal report to their chief engineer:

Fred Stone, Chief Engineer
937-220-1686
fred_stone@wptd.pbs.org

I also let him know they were being received in Florence, KY per the Cincy thread. They must be cranking a few watts right out of the gate.

post #336 of 6614 Old 04-25-2003, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

You beat me on the signal report by a few mintues! LOL ... I Forwarded Doc's post to Fred as well ...

It's just a guess, but I'd guess they are running at full power(according to their CP, 290KW with a non directional antenna, 1922FT ASL, 1043FT AGL, 1050FT HAAT) under Program Test Authority, since an STA filing hasn't popped up on FCC site.

Judging by the communication I've gotten from them before, I'd think they most likely do Care given the effort that they have to put into getting their digital station on the air , but, from what I've gathered, they think there are only "a few" of us out here with DTV/HD reception capability. Soo, by all means, everyone, contact them with a signal report/request for Time Warner HD carriage of PBS/etc. and let them know that a "few" doesn't mean 3!

Another good ThinkTV contact to send comments regarding their digital station, and HD programming/etc. (and to let them know we are watching thier digital station) is:

For Programming Questions/Comments:
Jim Wiener, Program Manager
937-220-1724
jim_wiener@wptd.pbs.org

BTW, I can tell 16-5 is being sent in an 16x9 HD(or 480p) format by the way my receiver's handle stretching/zooming/etc ... The DTC100(internal to a F38310) Won't let you stretch HD, nor will it add grey bars, while it will on 480i SD, and, The HDV420 Won't either unless you output at 480p ... And, if you do output at 480p, it won't let you manipulate 4x3 SD, but Will let you stretch/zoom a 1080i or 720p source ... So ... Everything I'm seeing plus the "ThinkHD" label you're seeing seems to indacte that 16-5 will be where the HD will be ...

Jeff
post #337 of 6614 Old 04-27-2003, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the first chance I've had to turn on the TV and tune around at 6pm(sunday) - Since Last night around 11pm or so, and I notice that WPTD-DT is currently Off the air, perhaps all day long ... It was up still last night at 11pm ...

-----------------------------------

"Forrest Gump" Looked really good on ABC Last night in HD ... The following is just my .02, and is subjective, but, I'd rank it up there with some of the other best Film Transfers to HD I've seen which have been: The Indy Jones" movies on ABC, MI2 on CBS, and "The Green Mile" on ABC ... Even though I've seen this movie too many times to count, I still very much enjoyed it in HD(first time I've seen it in HD), and, I really didn't mind the commercials since the HD looked so good ...

I "synch'ed up" the DVD and made a comparison between the DVD, WDTN-DT and WCPO-DT .... The DVD (at 480p) just doesn't compare to HD, as it "looks" NTSC ..

On the one hand, WCPO-DT Video just looks a little better than WDTN-DT ... Sharper and Clearer ... I assume this is because they are (still?) using a professional upconverter, and converting the 720p from ABC to 1080i, while my consumer equipment has to upconvert the 720p from WDTN-DT to 1080i for my display ...

On the Other hand, Compression artifacts were quite evident at times during certian scenes, such as many of the scenes when Forrest was running and there were lots of "other" details in the shot, such as all the foilage in the Battle scene/etc ... I assume this is because WCPO-DT is multicasting, as I've never seen this effect when a station gives HD the entire bandwidth possible(even with 16x9 HD Video, Forrest Gump should have required LESS bandwidth since it was HD from Film, AND used less than the entire 16x9 frame, since it was an OAR at 2.35:1 .... No compression artifacts whatsover visable on WDTN-DT BTW, even with their SD subchannel(BTW, the WDTN-DT SD subchannel to my eyes DOES suffer compression artifacts just about all the time, whearas this isn't so much the case via WCPO-DT's weather/"Promo" subchannel)

Jeff
post #338 of 6614 Old 04-30-2003, 04:20 PM

Anyone catch any HD on Dayton PBS yet? Today, sometime around 5pm, I caught 2 seconds of a horse in HD on 16-5, then it froze and went off. But I have been picking up stuff on the other 4 channels, though. I wonder if they are going to do that "HD Demonstration" thing that other PBS stations are doing?

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #339 of 6614 Old 04-30-2003, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Buckeye,

Per the scheduling of the PBS HD DT2A sat feed and the info I have gotten from ThinkTV, I'd assume(and I'm just assuming) we'll see the PBS HD demo loop(and more) from them, follows is the info I received concerning their HD schedule from their Program director a few weeks back:

"ThinkTV 16 will go digital on May 1st: we'll offer HD M-F 8-11pm and Sat & Sun 6-11pm. Those hours may change slightly to
coincide with start/stop times for programs on our analog channel. "
----

Sooo, I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that they'll be passing through the PBS HD DT2A feed during those times, the schedle for the DT2A Sat feed is available here:

http://www.ptvdigital.org/dt2a_may.html

BTW, They had PBS HD for about an hour today on 16-5 between 1 and 2pm ...

I noticed while I'm getting the Audio fine from WPTD-DT with the DTC-100 with the "off air guide"(This turns off channel remapping, and various PSIP features such as channel ID, off air guide data/etc -- The DTC-100 is the only receiver I know of that lets you do this) function turned off, If I turn the off air guides(psip) ON, then I LOSE the audio completely! I'm getting no audio via my other receiver from WPTD-DT, a zenith HDV420 ... I've forwarded this info to their CE ...

Also, I heard back from Fred Stone(ThinkTV CE) today, follows are his comments:

"Hi, Jeff--

Thanks for the report Friday and again today. I read your Friday report just as I was ready to leave the office Friday
afternoon. I had intended to reply from home over the weekend but never got around to it.

We'll check out the audio. I'm not sure what's happening. It sounds OK at the transmitter test and monitoring set-up. Our
off-air monitoring in Master Control is being set up as I write this, albeit a temporary arrangement. We will be continuing to
develop our full switching, automation and monitoring systems during the Summer.

0600 Thursday 1 May is the premiere of ThinkTV digital broadcasting. We plan to broadcast four SD channels except during
"primetime" when we will do HD plus one SD (simulcast of ThinkTV16).

Thanks, again, for the report. By the way, how did you know when we came on the air Friday? Were you "scanning?"

Fred"

Jeff
post #340 of 6614 Old 04-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Well Jeff, were you "scanning"?

post #341 of 6614 Old 04-30-2003, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

Sort of ... I got lucky this time though ... I Had just gotten home and decided to do my "usual" daily check* to see what all the local DT's were up to, and as I told Fred, I had tuned to 58(manually) just for the heck of it at 4:57 pm last Friday ..... If I remember correctly, that's the first time I'd tried 58 for a couple of days ...

* --- Which I normally do around lunch time but I hadn't gotten around to it last Friday --- I did the check before I ate my rapidly cooling chinese take out as I had planned on eating while watching the local news at 5pm and/or the Simpsons, as I had expected to go through the check of the 13(now 14) locals without seeing a change in things .... The food and my growling stomach BTW being why my email to Fred followed yours ....

Jeff
post #342 of 6614 Old 05-01-2003, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick note, presently(6pm), WPTD-DT isn't sending Channel remapping data via PSIP, so, presently, you'll most likely have to tune to 58(or, 58~2-6) to tune it in ... I suppose its possible some receiver's might require a "auto rescan" of channels/etc, but I wouldn't think so(keep in mind, they might switch Channel remapping back on sometime "soon" in the future)

Anyhow, Looks like this has FIXED the audio problem

---------------------

Fingers crossed for some PBS HD from them soon -- I'll be checking at 8pm. I haven't seen much of it from the Cincinnati area stations lately, even though it's "available" from PBS and the DT2A feed 24/7 .... Although, there may be programming rights issues involved with "some" programming ...

FYI, between Dec and a few weeks ago WCET-DT Cincinnati had the PBS HD throughout their hours of operation(8am-11pm), It's been over 2 weeks now I believe since they've had ANY HD ....

Jeff
post #343 of 6614 Old 05-01-2003, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I assumed wrong! Apparently, "ThinkTV HD" has HD recording and time shifting capabilities, which is excellent

Also, a little "digging" on their website seems to indicate that they will be using their HD recording and time shifting abilities in a way which should give us ALL the PBS HD/Widescreen digital, and then some, which is Excellent

Concerning tonight's schedule, They had 10 Minutes of the PBS Demo loop at 8pm, then had a showing of "Manor House"(widescreen digital SD), Then, they had Nova's "Secret Garden" in HD at 10PM

They also put up a graphic indicating that a schedule would be posted on their website ... I looked, but couldn't find a complete listing of HD programming, however, I noticed that if I did a "search by Program" that I knew that PBS has in HD such as "Tracks ahead", The scheduling info/channel info/detailed program info for all showings of Tracks ahead, SD+HD popped up. So, I assume they will soon be adding a more compreshensive schedule to their site, which won't necessite a "search by program" when looking for HD ...

After searching for a few of the programs I know PBS has in HD, I must tell you, I was VERY impressed at how they seem to have their schedule for HD worked out ... The way they are doing it with the time shifting, Between the Hours of 8-11pm weekdays, and 6-11pm on weekends, we should get ALL the PBS HD/Widscreen SD Digital that is available, and Then some ....

When everyone gets the time, IF you're so inclined, I would Highly recommend that everyone send ThinkTV their Comments on their HD service, as well as letting them know that we appreciate the HD! If they don't think there is anyone out here watching, they may not be as inclined to "keep up" the HD at the "level" which was evident tonight, as well as to the extent that they seem to be planning for the future ...

Now, the Not so good news ....

1.)For those that didn't see it tonight, there were 2 large Bugs evidently being inserted by some piece of equipment they were using. I would imagine(and hope) these will disappear soon, and(and this is just a guess) that they might have been caused by an issue involving their "need" to make a change in PSIP/etc. for the audio problem they were having.

2.) There were noticable Compression artifacts where you would expect them when a station is multicasting, and especially so when HD sourced from HDVideo is being broadcast --- I.e. During Fast motion, Fast Camera Pans, and fast focusing. There was one scene in "Secret Garden" of heavy snowfall which really did it too.

I hope they can improve things a bit where this is concerned without too much difficultly --- This is after all their first "scheduled" day of broadcasting, and they've been dealing with the audio/PSIP issue. While I'd certianly rather have the HD "AS IS" than none at all, I think giving anything Less than the Full bandwidth possible to HD is detrimental ..... I've seen PBS HD via WCET-DT back when they devoted the entire bandwidth possible, at which time you could stick your nose 12" from a large HD display and NEVER see a HINT of a compression artifact/"jaggies". Unfortunetly, it looks like none of the local PBS stations will be giving the entire bandwidth to HD. They are "hindered" by a current FCC requirement which requires that they simulcast, currently, 50% of their analog schedule on their digital station ... Furthermore, there may be other issues involved, such as Cable Carriage of the Digital "simulcast" of Think16.

So, on the one hand, I'd certianly like to see the entire bandwidth devoted to HD when it is being broadcast. On the other hand, and a more positive note, it's good to see that ThinkTV is trimming down the SD services to Only 1 when HD is being broadcast. Both Cincinnati/N. KY PBS DTV stations Do 2 SD services alongside HD.

--------------------

Ok, this is my 3rd post in a row to this thread(as you might be able to tell, I'm a big time PBS viewer), So I'll quit bumping this thread for now ...

Jeff
post #344 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 03:56 AM

Jeff- thanks for all that!!! I was forced to watch the PBS widescreen 'rollout' at commercial times for survivor. I couldn't quite convince the wife of the historical implications of witnessing a new service being shown for the first time!! My Mits w/internal tuner is still re-mapping to 16. Any idea why they had both a 16.05 and 16.06? When they had Secret Garden in HD, did they have it on both of those? Jeff - I'm with you about trying to conserve on bandwidth for HD. The idea of one station showing 5 or 6 SD shows at once is also a pretty cool idea! But most people who own a digital tuner are able to see the HD, and thats what large screen is all about! (IMHO).

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #345 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

When I tuned to 16-1 last night, it quickly changed to 58. I received a picture for about 2 seconds, then it went to "no signal" and the screen went blank. I tried changing back and forth to other channels, but never could get anything on 58 other than "no signal" and a blank screen. The Samsung's reception light turns green, and the signal strength meter tells me there's plenty of signal there, but no picture. I tried doing a channel re-scan but it didn't help--still the "no signal" indication. My Samsung receiver doesn't like something they're doing.

Paul

post #346 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Buckeye,

The only "real" subchannel HD is on is 58-6, via my RCA DTC-100(internal to a RCA F38310) with the channel remapping stuff turned off(DTC-100 is the only receiver I know of that lets you do this) it has remained 58-6 throughout, and the SD services have remained 58-2~5.

Of course, all the programming on all the different subchannels are really just sent in one datastream on a single RF channel(58), and there is further info sent which lets your receiver "sort out" which programming gets sent to which subchannel ...

On the other receiver here (Zenith HDV420), for which I can't turn off PSIP/Channel remapping, I was seeing the HD subchannel on 16-5 until day before yesterday(I think), at which time 16-5 disappeared, and the HD subchannel "moved" to 16-6, until yesterday afternoon at which time the channel remapping disappeared, and it's now showing up on 58-6. Luckily, as long as the actual RF channel is in the "Channel list", or, if you tune manually to the actual RF channel(in this case 58) whenever a station changes something with the channel remapping via PSIP, this receiver just seems to "roll with it" and change to whereever the new subchannel is, as it allways "knows" where the "real" channel is, and takes the info from there accordingly ... However, if I were to manually tune it to 58-1 now instead of just 58, it would currently "stick on 58-1 and give me a blank screen ...Tuning to 58 only however, would switch it to 58-2 and ThinkTV 16 programming, or, I could manually tune to 58-2~6 with good results. If I would try to tune to 16 presently however, it would just sit there and give me "no signal" as it has no way to know, currently, that the actual "data" is on 58 ... If they were remapping to 16 however, all it would take is 1 time tuning to 58 "first", and then the next time I tuned to 16, the receiver would know to "actually" send the tuner to 58 to check and see where the subchannels go ...

Anyhow, I noticed that the HD programming is listed(via "search by program") on their website as being on channel 16.6, so I suppose it's possible they changed it from 16.5 to 16.6 to "coincide" with the listings.

So, if you're still seeing both 16.5 and 16.6, they are really only 1 subchannel -- A auto channel rescan/etc. might make it disappear.

My guess as to why your still getting the remap to 16.x is that your tuner may not support channel remapping via PSIP, and instead does the channel remapping via infomation that is sent along with the "program data" .... Some receivers support channel remapping "only" via PSIP, and others do it via data sent with the program data ... Still another possibility is that if your receiver is also a Sat receiver and you're using the dish, the channel remapping could be being "handled" by the DirecTV Adavanced Program Guide ...

I'm wondering, prior to yesterday, were you getting audio from them? If so, I'd say it's very probable that your receiver isn't doing the remapping/etc. via PSIP functions.

Paul,

Hmm, that's odd that you're having problems tuning them in ... I wonder if tuning to the subchannels manually would be of any help? --- I'd think though that a auto rescan should have had them "pop up". This is where the subchannels "are"(currently) without remapping, at least, this is how they are showing up on both my receivers :

58-2 - Simulcast of WPTD 16 analog (Was remapping to 16.1)
58-3 - Think TV Kids (PBS Kids) (Blank During HD) (Was remapping to 16.2)
58-4 - Think Again or ThinkToo(?) (Blank During HD) (Was remapping to 16.3)
58-5 - Simulcast of WPTO 14 analog (blank during HD) (Was remapping to 16.4)
58-6 - ThinkHD - (Blank when all 4 SD subchannels have programming) (Was remapping to 16.5, then changed to 16.6 before remapping via PSIP was dropped yesterday)

---------------

Since different receivers behave "differently" where this channel remapping stuff is concerned, you can easily see how it might be difficult for those at the station to know what is "going on" without input from us viewers when something "goes wrong" .... Personally, I'd just as soon DO AWAY with Channel remapping alltogether, and see the channels where they really are! While I think a big part of what channel remapping is "supposed" to do is help avoid confusion, I think what is actually happening is it is CREATING more confusion!

Jeff
post #347 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I went though and searched "by program" on the thinkTV website for HD/Widescreen showings this weekend, and this is what I came up with ... Don't know how accurate this will be, but it looks like this is how they have it scheduled -- IT Did work out they way it said for last night .... Hopefully, we'll get a much more convienant listing by day of their HD programming via their website sometime soon:

unless otherwise indicated, All programs below are HD from PBS :

Friday May 2 :

8pm - Manor House Pt 2 (Widescreen SD)
9pm - ?? Couldn't find the program that goes here ...
10pm - Manor House Pt 3 (Widescreen SD)

Saturday May 3:

6pm - Smarttravels Europe - "Burangdy and Loire"
6:30pm - Tracks Ahead - "Cable Cars"
7pm - Chef's Afield - "Birmingham, AL"
7:30pm - Smartravels Europe - "Berlin"
8pm - Nature: "Big Red Roos" - (Widescreen SD)
9pm - Manor House Pt 3 (Widescreen SD)
10pm - Nova: Japan's Secret Garden

Sunday May 4:

6pm - Smarttravels Europe - "Burgandy and Loire"
6:30pm - Tracks Ahead - "New Zealand"
7pm - Chef's Afield - "Seattle"
7:30pm - Smarttravels Europe - " Berlin"
8pm - Nature: "Animals Behaving Baldy (Widescreen SD)
9pm - PBS Hollywood presents "The Gin Game" (a Play, with Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore) - 90 Minutes
10:30pm - Smarttravels Europe - "Berlin"
11pm - Nature "Animals Behaving Badly"(Widescreen SD) -- Note: This seems an odd listing, as I thought the "HD" would be off by 11pm ...

------------------------------------
Several of the above programs are also scheduled for other showings throughout next week/etc, and I would imagine will be joined by other programming (This takes too much time to keep doing this, searching 1 program at a time! - Again, hopefully we'll see a better listing on their website, or even TitanTV/etc soon!)

I'm glad they have "Tracks ahead", "Smarttravels" and "Chef's afield" listed, as these are programs I very much enjoyed in HD from WCET-DT Cincinnati, UNTIL the HD Mostly disappeared from WCET-DT a few weeks ago! I'm also looking foward to checking out "The Gin Game", although I'll probably have to wait for another showing, as I'll be watching "Alias" on Sunday at 9!

---------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I also did a search for "PBS HD Loop", and was surprised to find the following listings scheduled, as I had thought they would be switching off HD at 11pm (In other words, perhaps this is wrong)

PBS HD Loop
Monday 5/5 - 11pm
Monday 5/12 - 11pm
Monday 5/19 - 11pm
Monday 5/29 - 11pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff
post #348 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

Still not getting anything today with 58. The light turns green like there's something there, but it still displays "no signal". I can't manually enter any subchannels with this unit. I can directly input two digits. If there are subchannels, it shows it in the onscreen display, then I have to arrow through them with the remote to select them. Oh well, it's a cheap 1st generation Samsung. Other than this, it's been pretty flawless.

Is anyone else out there having any problems receiving WPTD-DT since they turned off remapping?

Paul

post #349 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 03:46 PM

I was having the same problem, but then I would just wait a few seconds, and it would pop up.
post #350 of 6614 Old 05-02-2003, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

At 7:58pm, WPTD-DT is remapping to 16-x now via PSIP, the audio is working OK as well.... There is no 16-1 now, first subchannel is 16-2 So, hopefully it's working for all now ... Update 8pm, The big "E" and "EVertz" Bug is up on 16-6 along with "Manor house" in Widescreen SD ... Hopefully, they can get rid of those bugs soon(Evertz makes HD equipment, such as upconverters/etc) ... 8:02pm --- Video was missing for a couple minutes, but is back now ..

BTW, Jambino I checked out your HT website, Very nice setup!

Update: 8:10pm -- "Manor House" Video, but I believe we're now hearing the audio from the PBS HD Loop via the PBS DT2A sat feed now ... I do suppose it's difficult to monitor audio from more than 1 programming service at the same time

update #2: 8:20pm -- Cool! I'm impressed, they caught it a couple minutes ago, and just switched to the correct audio feed for "manor house".

Jeff
post #351 of 6614 Old 05-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

I can receive them again, but something they did while enabling the PSIP locked up my receiver big time--several times.

post #352 of 6614 Old 05-03-2003, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

"Chef's Afield" in HD has made me hungry although I already ate

Although they started out with the bugs tonight, They have since gotten rid of the "E" and "Evertz" Bugs, but I am getting a a/v synch issue tonight. Really looks good though.

------------------------------
Update 9:25pm : On another issue: concerning WDTN-DT tonight, I notice that they don't have HD for "Gladiator", while WCPO-DT Cincinnati does have it HD. I sent Jim at WDTN-DT a note, hopefully it's just a temporary issue .... It's the first time I've noticed ABC HD as missing from them.

I watched this in HD last year via ABC/WCPO-DT, and as then it looks very good tonight... I'm not really watching it tonight, but I have to wonder, unless they are cutting a large portion of the movie out, how they are squeezing the same presentation into 1 night, as the last time it ran in 2 parts over 2 nights ... And when I've checked it tonight, there have been plenty of commericals ...

Jeff
post #353 of 6614 Old 05-03-2003, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

WDTN-DT info --- Just received the following(I didn't think anyone else would still be awake) from Jim Atkinson concerning the missing ABC HD tonight :

Jeff,

Sorry about the missing HD. We began running our master control from WISH in Indianopolis last Thursday and are experiencing a couple of problems. One problem is the one you noticed, the missing HD. Sometimes the auto-switch doesn't activate. We should have that corrected the first of the week.
Thanks for your interest and patience.

Jim Atkinson

Jeff
post #354 of 6614 Old 05-05-2003, 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes, I had to re-scan the channels, and I then no longer had the 16.05 and 16.06 in HD. I just now get 16.06. I no longer get 16.01. I've never had a problem receiving audio, but it is low level. My audio set up is digital coax out of the Mits into the Yamaha (audio)receiver.

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #355 of 6614 Old 05-05-2003, 03:45 AM

oh yeah - audio sync is rather bad, but isn't too bad with those travel shows!

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #356 of 6614 Old 05-05-2003, 09:08 AM

I emailed with Mr Stone (Director of Engineering) at WPTD about the audio syncing problem. He basically said that they are still operating at a bit of a learning process and he expects everything to be perfect by 1 September.

He also said he will look at the low audio levels of the HD channel.

I asked him about DD5.1 and he said:

"We will have the capability to pass through what ever audio
scheme the respective programming has. We are
designing an 8 channel audio capability, per video channel. And, with two
stations, we'll have a combined 10 video channel
system."

Mr Stone seemed happy that I contacted him. I encourage everyone to send him a short reception report and tell him we're out here! His email address is: fred_stone@WPTD.pbs.org

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #357 of 6614 Old 05-05-2003, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Buckeye,

Thanks for the info. I think they are doing a fine job addressing the issues which have popped up so far, as well as giving us PBS HD, which I hope they can keep up indefinitely.

Jeff
post #358 of 6614 Old 05-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

Dayton stations are stronger this evening than I've ever seen them.All Dt's are in with high 80's-low 90's,and the analogs are bleeding all over the band.Even Lp55 is almost snow-free [over]Dt-55 Lou,Ky.

Picking up now-Columbus 28,34 in and getting stronger.Maybe some new DT catches tonite!

Later,
GregB
post #359 of 6614 Old 05-06-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Max,

Can you believe I was messing around with "tweaking" the HT Audio last night and I didn't even LOOK to see what conditions were like, even though the calm weather, humidity and Fog told me I should have been looking!

In the Wee hours of Sunday morning however I was seeing strong signals out of Indy around 3am(about as strong as they get through the hills) and Louisville later on, around 4am ... Some of the Louisville stations must have been off air in the wee hours, as I was seeing the weaker analogs(WBKI-CA/WBNA) and was about 1/2 way to a lock on WHAS-DT(it's DT snow was covering up WWRD-LP off the backside Completely -- usually, at the most it just "sparkles") ...

Jeff

Jeff
post #360 of 6614 Old 05-06-2003, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent!

HD listings, as well as listings for the Multicast services are now showing up On ThinkTV's Program Schedule listings(by day/time etc) Without having to search by program name.

The Listings are here:

http://www.thinktv.org/program/program.php

Jeff
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page