Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6613 Old 05-06-2003, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been perusing the new programming schedule for ThinkTV, I just customized my own HD schedule for the next week for 16.6 and printed it out! Very cool. (BTW, as listed, the PBS HD Demo Loop DID run last night from 11pm-12a).

Anyhow, I came across an HD listing of Special intrest, follows is the full program info from the ThinkTV website, air times are for the HD showings on 16.6 -- This should be intresting in HD! BTW, ThinkTV does list 3 HD Studio Cams as part of their production facilities ...
--------------------------------

Ohio: 200 Years

The dramatic story of Ohio's history. This documentary was produced in celebration of Ohio's bicentennial in collaboration with the Ohio Bicentennial Commission and Ohio's public television stations.

Running Time: 60 minutes

Airtimes: 5/8-9pm, 5/9-10pm, 5/11-9pm, 5/13-8pm, 5/22-8pm, 5/25-8pm, 6/2-8pm

Audio: Mono

HDTV: Yes

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6613 Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
TWC has added the PBS HD stations.
post #363 of 6613 Old 05-06-2003, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acs236
TWC has added the PBS HD stations.

Cool! That didn't take long ...

Jeff
post #364 of 6613 Old 05-08-2003, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Noticed that A/V was sycnhed nicely last night, for the most part from WPTD-DT. 1st time I had a chance to watch "The Gin Game", as the synch was off the first time via WPTD-DT, and it was "Silent HD" during WCET-DT's Cincy's Tuesday night showing. Anyhow, we really enjoyed it here. "Quality Television" as they say.

Jeff
post #365 of 6613 Old 05-08-2003, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

What are the channel number(s) for the PBS DTV on Time Warner? Do they carry all the sub-channels?
post #366 of 6613 Old 05-10-2003, 11:53 AM

TWC PBS Channels:

716 - WPTD HD, broadcasting HD sporadically (at night), when not HD only a blacnk screen.
717 - Think 16, digital, simulcast of PBS 16 I think.
718 - 16 Kids, digital, Kids PBS programming
719 - 16 Again, digital, not sure what the programming is
720 - Think 14, digital, simulcast of PBS 14 I Think.

The one program I saw on 716 Thursday night looked good. Digital channels (717-720) are NOT coming in widescreen for programs like Manor House, just as FOX (745) is not showing its widescreen programming either.
post #367 of 6613 Old 05-10-2003, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by logic8482
TWC PBS Channels:
716 - WPTD HD, broadcasting HD sporadically, when not HD only a blacnk screen.

First off, Welcome to AVSforum, it's always great to see new members joining us from our area.

Secondly, I wouldn't exactly call WPTD-DT/ThinkTV's HD "sporadic", at least from What I've seen OTA. I would hope that is the case with cable as well, if not, let's hope it's a temporary technical issue.

WPTD-DT's HD Subchannel(a 16x9 1080i or 720p? ATSC format) has PBS HD/Widescreen Nightly, M-F 8-11pm, and 6-11pm on weekends. This is per info from their Chief Engineer, program director, AND it has been the case, at least OTA since they began "regular" operations on 5/1. They've also had the PBS HD demo loop last Monday from 11pm-12am, and it's scheduled to run the next 3 mondays in that time slot. Anyhow, Hopefully, they'll be able to keep up their present HD schedule, AS the Cincinnati/N KY PBS stations aren't giving us anywhere near this amount of PBS HD these days.

ThinkTv's nifty programming schedule(has all their programming services listed -- They even have a way to do a "customized" schedule with detailed listings for just the HD subchannel(16.6)/HD programming up to a week ahead), is available here :

http://www.thinktv.org/program/program.php

When WPTD-HD subchannel has "PBS Digital SD Widescreen" programming "in lieu" of HD, the 16x9 SD source material is first upconverted to 1080i by PBS, then sent nationally over PBS's DT2A "HD" sat feed. WPTD-DT evidently has the ability to record this HD (or upconverted SD material), and timeshift into their HD programming time periods for airing on 16.6 OTA, and per Logic's info, on 716 via TWC Dayton.

Besides their HD subchannel(Which is where you want to watch the SD widescreen stuff as well, whenever possible), the other 4 Subchannels from WPTD-DT are in a 480i(p?) 4x3 ATSC SD format, just as is the case with WRGT-DT's(Fox Dayton), and WBDT-DT's(WB Dayton) single, 4x3 SD subchannel .... When these channels show "widescreen" material via these SD subchannels, it is letterboxed inside a 4x3 frame, which, not only looses lines of resolution since it is only using some of the lines of rez in the 4x3 frame, it also doesn't have the beneift of a professional upcoversion to HD resolutions as done by the Network, or at the station.

I find it interesting though that TWC Dayton Carries WRGT-DT, and TWC Cincy does not carry WXIX-DT(Fox Cincy) which DOES do Fox Widescreen ...In fact, WXIX-DT even upconverts it to 1080i first for broadcast .... LOL!

------------------------
Couple of other notes:

I don't know about the rest of you guys, and hopefully they'll get the issues worked out soon per the info I received and posted here last week from their Chief Engineer, BUT so far, I think I liked it better when Dayton, instead of Indy was taking care of the HD switching for WDTN-DT, as prior to the last week or so, I don't think I ever saw WDTN-DT miss the ABC HD. Toinght, they have a weather bug up, so they might not be able to do HD, and unfortunetly the same is true for WCPO-DT, ABC Cincy tonight for "The Green Mile", which looked excellent in HD last year Via ABC ....

I also noticed last night that CBS HD was "missing" from WHIO-DT for "Murder, She Wrote", but it was in HD via WKRC-DT Cincinnati ....

WKEF-DT has seemed much better about switching to the NBC HD feed as of late, although I've still noticed they aren't at 100%, especially for Leno ...WLWT-DT NBC Cincy, as usual is pretty much allways right on top of things where NBC HD is concerned ....

---------------

Jeff
post #368 of 6613 Old 05-12-2003, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope it is some kind of switching snafu/etc, as compression artifacts are atrocious tonight on 16-6(WPTD-HD) : All 5 subchannels are up at the same time ...

Jeff
post #369 of 6613 Old 05-12-2003, 09:04 PM

Nitewatchman is correct about channel 716. From what i saw in the program guide there is several hours of HD programming. When I said sporadic, I just meant that it is not on all day but rather just at certain times, (M-F 8-11pm, and 6-11pm on weekends) I guess. Otherwise it is just the blank screen.

I also don't understand why we are not getting FOX widescreen yet. Although the picture quality on 745 is improved over channel 8, it is not exactly enjoyable to watch! The other PBS channels are the same, better quality then the their regular cable counterparts, but still not anywhere near the quality obviously of 716 or NBC HD (722).
post #370 of 6613 Old 05-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Anyone have a clue what's going on over at WDTN? No HD for NYPD Blue for two weeks in a row now. I sent an email to Jim Atkinson asking him about it. I'll let everyone know when I get a reply.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #371 of 6613 Old 05-14-2003, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

Yes, please post any info, as I'd be interested in any add'l info.

I posted info from Jim at WDTN concerning the lack of HD from them as of late a couple of weeks back here(on the last page of this thread):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...61#post2176261

-----------
I did notice that one day last week they did have HD, but that's the only time I've seen them have HD in the past 2 weeks+, luckily however, except for "Gladiator" and the WX bugs last weekend, WCPO-DT Cincy has had all the ABC HD. Anyhow, So far, I liked it better when they were controlling WDTN from Dayton instead of Indy!

Jeff
post #372 of 6613 Old 05-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

It's exactly what you said. I guess I missed your post concerning WDTN. The following is the response from Jim Atkinson at WDTN:

I apologize for the missing HD broadcast. Beginning May 1 we began operating our Master Control from WISH in Indianapolis. The switching of the HD signal is remotely switched from there, and obviously, we are experiencing an equipment problem with the interface. We are working on it at present and hopefully will correct it shortly.

Thanks for your interest,

Jim Atkinson

post #373 of 6613 Old 05-20-2003, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

WDTN-DT has ABC HD tonight(Tue 5/20), hopefully it's a "permanent" Fix ..

Noticed that WPTD-DT 58 (ThinkDTV/PBS) isn't remapping to 16-x today. BTW, IMO, they've been doing a fine job with their New Digital station and HD

BTW, not that it matters much being that we have no Fox Widescreen from them, and contrary to what Should be the case with "supposedly" component video via ATSC/etc as opposed to composite broadcast NTSC video, with good "pristine" analog reception of their analog station here, their analog still looks better than the digital ..... But anyhow, I'm Still getting WRGT-DT at lower "levels" off the meter's receivers than is normal, as has been the case the past couple of weeks. Not sure if it's a power issue, or something else(Which I am suspecting at this point) but, although my Zenith receiver is seeing them just fine(albeit at 1/2 scale, they normally "peg the meter"), I get blank screen via The RCA (DTC-100), and readings of 28~34. What's especially odd is that aiming my hi-gain antenna towards Dayton doesn't improve things over my low-gain Dayton antenna where WRGT-DT is concerned, currently.

Jeff
post #374 of 6613 Old 05-21-2003, 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
But anyhow, I'm Still getting WRGT-DT at lower "levels" off the meter's receivers than is normal, as has been the case the past couple of weeks. Not sure if it's a power issue, or something else(Which I am suspecting at this point) but, although my Zenith receiver is seeing them just fine(albeit at 1/2 scale, they normally "peg the meter"), I get blank screen via The RCA (DTC-100), and readings of 28~34. What's especially odd is that aiming my hi-gain antenna towards Dayton doesn't improve things over my low-gain Dayton antenna where WRGT-DT is concerned, currently.

For me the WRGT-DT signal has degraded to a point where I can no longer get a lock. Been like that for a couple weeks.

WDTN-DT has also seemed "low" for a couple months. These days I can get a picture, but inevitably there are breakups and it's not worth watching (and listening to DD5.1) when I can get WCPO-DT. Compare this to the Super Bowl when the WDTN-DT signal was flawless.

jim
post #375 of 6613 Old 05-21-2003, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

Yes, I saw the same thing, It's been about 2 weeks since WRGT-DT has "changed" here. Right before it happened, I had noticed they were off the air(or appeared as such) the morning/evening beforehand.

I haven't noticed any changes signal wise here from any of the other Dayton/Cincy stations besides from WKOI-DT as compared to wintertime, which I think is due to the leaves coming on and the Forest I have in that direction(Leaves are RF absorbers), In combination with the terrain blockage issue I have with WKOI-DT, and their antenna height and radiation pattern which doesn't send much RF energy my way --- Intstead, most of it is aimed towards their Community of License, Richmond, IN -- Some 25-30 Miles away from their tower.

When it is really windy outside though, although I still don't get dropouts, the meter fluctuates a little more on WDTN-DT/WKEF-DT and WPTD-DT when I'm using my low gain Dayton antenna(doesn't happen with my more directional HI-gain yagi if I aim it towards Dayton) --- Doesn't affect the other DT's which are on lower frequencies, so, I figure all the trees and limbs moving around close to me that are in the signal path are affecting the signal propagation + multipath conditions much more on higher UHF frequencies.

Jeff
post #376 of 6613 Old 05-23-2003, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

WSYX-DT 13, ABC Columbus has recently improved it's facilities(They put the DT antenna on top of their tower, and increased power/etc beginning 5/20), So I wondered if anyone in Dayton is Pulling them in now?

Here, at 78 Miles from their Tower, I've been getting fairly consistant 1/8-1/4 scale readings from WSYX-DT since 5/20 --- I was also able to receive Solid reception(DT log #31 from this location) from them This morning(dropped back below a lock at 10:30am), with a little "tropo help" .... Given that I'm seeing an indication of a consistant signal from them, I would think that those a little closer, or at a higher elevation than I am, as I'm down in a valley) might have a shot at reception of WSYX-DT ..

Jeff
post #377 of 6613 Old 05-24-2003, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI,

At 8:00-8:25pm WDTN-DT appears to be off the air. Not sure how long they've been down, but they were up this afternoon.

Guess I'll have to aim the High gain antenna towards Columbus to see If I can get ABC HD tonight(probably won't happen, guess I'll tune to "16 HD" instead), as WCPO-DT is showing local SD programming instead of "Anna and the King" in HD, even though the last programming newsletter from WCPO-DT indicated "Anna and the King" would be in HD ...

Sigh ... 3rd Saturday in a row we've had "hd problems" from both the Dayton and Cincinnati ABC affiliates ...

p.s. -- Granted, not that it's all "important" that I see this movie in HD tonight BUT I like to check these things out because I realize these things could happen at ANY time ....

Jeff
post #378 of 6613 Old 05-31-2003, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

That constant 'blip' in the sound on WHIO-DT is getting annoying. It's been doing it for at least the past week. Normally I would just switch to WKRC-DT, but I haven't been able to receive them since the maple tree from hell sprouted leaves.

post #379 of 6613 Old 05-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Nitewatchman
WSYX-DT 13, ABC Columbus has recently improved it's facilities(They put the DT antenna on top of their tower, and increased power/etc beginning 5/20), So I wondered if anyone in Dayton is Pulling them in now?

Jeff,

I had a lock on WSYX-DT last night. I was surprised I did get a lock as it only showed one to two bars on the "signal strength meter".

Paul

post #380 of 6613 Old 05-31-2003, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

Excellent On your WSYX-DT(78 Miles from me) Reception! I'd think you are also not too much closer than I am from them. With only slightly improved(over "normal" deadband conditions) and somewhat unstable conditions, last night, I was having intermittant reception from them, ranging from just below to just above a lock whereas, much of the last week, given just a bit of "stable" atmospheric enhancement I've had pretty stable reception from them at night/early morning, otherwise, I'm still getting about 1/4 way to a lock or so under deadband, or mostly deadband conditions ...

It's really been my first chance to see first hand just how well DTV reception can work from such a distance given an adequetely powered/etc. station on a more or less completely "clean" frequency(in that direction), and it looks like they are putting out an excellent signal into here for being beyond line of sight at 78 Miles! My guess is, If it were necessary, and I worked on it enough(With cut-to channel Yagi's and perhaps more height/etc), I could probably find a way to pull them in all the time with good reception.

-----------

On your WKRC-DT reception issue, hard to say, but given what I know of your receiving location and what I've experienced here lately with WKRC-DT 31(and peraps somewhat possibly a "related" issue with WRGT-DT 30 which may be a "contributing factor" as well) as per my post on this issue in the Cincy thread, I suspect it's something other than the leaves(although they could be a contributing factor, I'd think) which is causing the change in WKRC-DT reception for you.

I noticed what appears to be a drop in the WKRC-DT signal at around the same time as the lightning strike at WKRC, which also happened to be the same time when WRGT-DT reception changed here. There are reports from Jim In Oxford and myself earlier in this thread where the change in WRGT-DT is concerned. It's hard to say but I suspect, where your current WKRC-DT reception issue is concerned, it might be something other(possibly a combination of things, perhaps with the leaves being a small factor involved as well) than leaves causing the problem.

It wasn't a gradual change I noticed from WKRC-DT (as was also the case with WRGT-DT), before the "incidences" mentioned above, they were as they have been for the last year+, the next time I checked the situation had changed and is as it remains now ... I believe this occured about 3 weeks ago, after all the leaves had come on, and I certianly have a lot of leaves here too! Although the readings on my meters have only dropped a little from WKRC-DT when the antenna is aimed at Cincinnati, where I most notice the change is :

I usually(Incluing all of last summer) receive WKRC-DT just about "omni-directionally" even with a quite directional antenna(As WKRC-DT usually has a much stronger signal than the antenna can "reject" off the back/sides/etc), and even when the antenna is moving while being rotated ... Of course though, Multipath destroys the analog counterpart(as is the case with other stations in this regard) if antenna is aimed much more than 10 degrees off target.

Furthermore, With my Dayton, Lo-gain antenna(aimed towards Dayton, permanenetly - and again, for the past 1.5 years throughout all seasons), up until the last few weeks WKRC-DT came in with Solid "76" readings. However, since "whatever it is" that has changed has happened, I get 15~22 readings off the Dayton antenna and no lock from WKRC-DT, which is about the same, or "in between" what I get from WSTR-DT and WXIX-DT off the lo-gain Dayton antenna, whereas, WLWT-DT/WCET-DT(since they've increased power)/WCPO-DT generally come in off the Dayton antenna with "almost" perfect reception, ranging between 40% and 70% scale.

Of course, seeing how far you can aim the antenna off target and still receive a mostly-dropout free signal isn't a "foolproof" method to check signals, since terrain/signal blockage issues, multipath as well as certian spots where the antenna is particularly good about rejecting signals off the sides/etc(among other things) are factors, but, I'm not surprised that the results I see "normally" pretty much perfectly match the following two things all year round, unless something "funky" is happening :

1). The station's facilities(power/antenna height/radiation pattern/etc)

2.) My distance from them relative to their antenna height.

"Normally"(prior to last 3 weeks), on the high gain rotatable antenna, WKRC-DT(800KW ERP - 33 Miles) comes in fine with almost any antenna heading, Which is "almost" the case with WLWT-DT(512 KW ERP)/WCPO-DT(13.7KW ERP, but on VHF) and now, WCET-DT(215 KW ERP) Comes in well on the lo-gain Dayton antenna as well most of the time, WXIX-DT(229KW ERP) works about 90~100 degrees or so off target(a bit more of a terrain issue may affecting things a little more here with WXIX-DT), WSTR-DT(17.1KW ERP) from about 60 degrees off target, and WCVN-DT(53.5 KW ERP, but with a transmitting antenna height, much lower than the others, and also my most distant local DT) Is only receivable within 30 degrees heading of their tower, which was about the exact case with WCET-DT when they were at Low power, 7KW ERP, albeit from a closer and higher transmitting antenna ...

Anyhow, Since leaves are RF absorbers and when they do affect things significantly enough to be an issue, it's usually the case they are more of an issue the higher the frequency, and the weaker the signal. Again, it's hard to say since "strange things" do happen and these things can be very location and frequency specific/etc, and also, as leaves can block reflected signals and therefore one may have more multipath to deal with when they fall off, or, vice versa, when leaves are on, they can block direct signal paths and you might get a different "balance" in the multipath situation with leaves are on ... However, again given your receiving situation, even though at your distance such things as leaves would probably be more of an issue than is the case here, I suspect that the leaves aren't attenuating the signal to too much of a degree from WKRC-DT(or the other Cincy stations), and I also doubt a "multipath/leaves issue" is much, if any issue in your sitiation.

Given what I know of your situation, (although again, it's really hard to make an accurate guess since there are so many variables, and that's all this is, just a guess), I'd suspect if the leaves were a problem with WKRC-DT for you, they would also be affecting the other Cincy DT's(much less so WCPO-DT however). Especially so since(up until the past few weeks)here, it has been quite appaerent(through "various means of "investigation) that WKRC-DT has put out the Strongest UHF signal out of Cincinnati, and their antenna is just as high(or higher) than the others/etc, but this "strongest signal out of Cincy" from WKRC-DT "seems" to be no longer the case. I would expect if any signal out of Cincy which you are getting is being affected to a significant degree by the leaves on your nearby tree in that direction, it would most likely be most noticiable from WSTR-DT(18KW ERP), or WCVN-DT(53KW ERP) rahther than WKRC-DT's "normal" 800KW ERP signal.

-------------

As to what's causing the change here at my location, it's hard to say, and I really wouldn't want to guess except to do some wild speculating. I haven't contacted the stations on this as my WKRC-DT reception is still very good, and I'm still getting WRGT-DT fine on one receiver(not that it matters much without Fox Widescreen and good quality video from WRGT-DT. Furthermore, I've been "waiting to see what happens", and from a receiving standpoint, it's a bit difficult to explain the situation as "a bone-fide issue" to station personel without better monitoring/test equipment on the receiving end ... ...

But, (as for the wild speculating) I suspect either WKRC-DT 31 is putting out a weaker signal than normal, and/or, possibly due to equipment "changes" at one or the other station, there is now some sort of 1st adjacent channel issue now occuring among WRGT-DT 30 and WKRC-DT. Although, at first glance of the signal meter it appears that WRGT-DT is putting out less signal than normal,(contrary to what seems to be the case with WKRC-DT) further investingation seems to indicate that where my reception of WRGT-DT is concerned, it's perhaps more of an issue that perhaps either that there has been an increase in data error rate, or, I suppose it's even possible the receiver isn't perhaps able to quite tune "exactly" to WRGT-DT for some reason ...

Anyhow, Hope this bit of "guessing around" helps, I'll try to remember to post something when and if WKRC-DT/WRGT-DT returns to "normal" here ...

Jeff
post #381 of 6613 Old 05-31-2003, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

I can't get WXIX-DT anymore either. That's why I figured it was the trees. But I always get a lock on WSTR-DT (and WLWT-DT and WCET-DT as well). Go figure!

post #382 of 6613 Old 05-31-2003, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul,

Interesting ... At your distance from the Cincy station,(55 miles or so I believe from most of the Cincy Tower - BTW, WSTR/DT tower is North of the others, and about 5-6 miles closer to us), any change is probably going to be seen by you more so than I can detect here, probably pretty difficult to figure out the reasons sometimes though!

The signal from WXIX-DT does seem to change here a bit, although it's always solid and steady "per day", it sometimes seems to change a bit from day to day ....of course, they go down and come back up on a daily basis, not sure what sort of "transmitter tuning" is involved with their equipment ...

Lately(the past couple of months perhaps+), "In general", it seems more like it was prior to December or so --- Which is, I get less than a lock off them off my Dayton antenna, and "on target" with the Cincy antenna about 2/3+ scale on the Zenith Receiver ... Which is about the same as I'm getting from WKRC-DT presently, while before, Both stations pretty much "pegged the meter", and WXIX-DT Was close to matching WCET-DT on the Dayton antenna --- Which is, Most of the time, about 10-15% or so above a lock ....

Seems like less of a difference here though with WXIX-DT than is the case with WKRC-DT presently, and I think WXIX-DT has been "generally" different since before the leaves I beleive --- and fairly consistantly, although some days "out of the blue" they seem back to their Jan-feb Signal .... Hard for me to guess on what's going on with them though, (The change might even be the leaves here, although I'm pretty sure I'd even seen these "levels" from them even before the leaves came on at all on occasion, with a "calm" atmosphere/etc), as the difference in signal doesn't seem to be as much of a change ... and, although the difference in WXIX-DT seemed to "generally" have happened even earlier, it is after all, also on a 1st adjacent channel to WRGT-DT 30 as well ....

WXIX DT and analog will probably have to power down due to regs when they are working on WPTO-DT, which is going on their tower as well ... That's probably going to happen sometime soon, I'd think, as WPTO-DT currently expects to be up by late July ...

I guess we'll see what happens! I think It does help to have at least an entire year of checking the signals to see what sort of effect leaves and such have on your reception --- makes it a little easier to guage if it's something on the transmitting end, or "enviornmental factors"Probably a little easier to gauge with the analogs though, with WXIX-DT especially over the last year, they've done so many things "differently" it's hard to say what's what!

Jeff

Jeff
post #383 of 6613 Old 06-03-2003, 05:21 PM

Please - someone else tell me that they can't pick up 41.02, also! All I can get is 41.01 - with black bars or HD, when they are doing it.

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #384 of 6613 Old 06-03-2003, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Buckeye,

Yes, Thank goodness WHIO-DT dropped their 2nd SD subchannel over the weekend. I haven't checked on the HT to see what the HD looks like, but hopefully they are giving HD everything possible now, and aren't datacasting as well.

Jeff
post #385 of 6613 Old 06-04-2003, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Now if we could only get rid of those blue lines! Baby steps....baby steps!

post #386 of 6613 Old 06-06-2003, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody have luck with a Radio Shack double bow-tie in the Pipestone Golf course area of Springboro/Miamisburg? I took mine to a buddy's house in the Hidden Creek development, no digital signal whatsoever. I put the antenna outdoors, nothing. Is this a particularly challenging area? I would have expected to receive at least some signal from the Dayton transmitters.
post #387 of 6613 Old 06-13-2003, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Gindie,

I can't imagine why that area would be a problem for OTA reception ... I do recall there was a post from the Springboro area(from a couple of years back, on a different thread), and good results were obtained from the Cincy DTV Stations with a DBT sitting outside ...(None of the Dayton DTV stations were on the air at that time) ...

"Just in Case", are you sure you didn't have a "feedline problem", or that the receiver was set to scan the OTA TV frequencies instead of the Cable ones? If it was set to "Cable"(perhaps it could have defaulted to "Cable" if the receiver was unplugged for any period of time, or if it had never been used/etc), then UHF stations(which all the Dayton DTV's are) wouldn't show up ....

Just "grasping at straws" in case it helps ...

Jeff
post #388 of 6613 Old 06-14-2003, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the ESPN HD channel may be picked up by TW cable anytime soon?

post #389 of 6613 Old 06-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone notice a MUCH stronger signal from WCPO-DT? Or is it just tropo?

Paul

post #390 of 6613 Old 06-20-2003, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

WPTD-DT (ThinkTV/PBS Dayton) Has been off air all day today/Tonight, No Widescreen from WXIX-DT Cincy for "Fastlane" at 8pm, and of course, no widescreen from WRGT-DT ...

Just wondering, with WPTD-DT off air, are Dayton TW cable HD customers still getting WPTD-DT and PBS HD/Widscreen tonight?

Concering WRGT-DT, I received a follow up response from them concerning their "recent" problems(which we've been discussing recently on the Cincinnati Thread). Follows is their response from one of their Engineers:

Hello Jeff,

The short of it is, the modulator lost it's corrections. Please feel free to
contact me whenever you see a problem with our signal. This is new to all of us and the learning curve is steep so, again THANK YOU for your input. Oh, by the way you are not the only one watching, there's twelve of you out the there.

Thanks again.

Thom Fowler

----------------------------------------------

So, it might be a good idea to let them know you're watching and want Fox widescreen, and that there are more than 12 of us out here .... I'm sure that was a joke, but being that there are relatively few of us out here, I think it might help(It couldn't hurt) if everyone drops every digital station they receive a note(or a call) at least once and let them know you, and your family are watching their digital station/HD/etc ...

Jeff
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page