Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV - Page 220 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6571 of 6613 Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There has been talk on a couple threads that TVGOS is going away. Perhaps that is why it's no longer working on WHIO. Some stations supposedly already pulled the equipment and returned it to Rovi. http://www.avsforum.com/t/537711/sony-dhg-hdd250-500-official-thread/25320#post_22560620

Also, see here:http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099071/the-official-avs-dish-dtvpal-dvr-topic/14880#post_22569063

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6613 Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Jon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff,

Do you have a contact at WHIO to inquire about the TVGOS signal or lack of?

Thanks,
John
post #6573 of 6613 Old 11-13-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Jeff,
Do you have a contact at WHIO to inquire about the TVGOS signal or lack of?
Thanks,
John

Hi John,

If you're addressing me, Sorry, no. I haven't contacted WHIO for years, as I recall back then when I did it was usually regarding "missing" HD from CBS and I called one of their main numbers and they transferred me to the MCO or engineering ...

From what I've read per the info at threads/link Paul provided as well as elsewhere, it looks pretty certian Rovi is discontinuing TVGOS via broadcasters signals throughout N America anyway, per some sort of phase out schedule which began Nov 1 and ends april 2013, and at this point, I could be wrong but I sort of doubt it will be back from WHIO ..

WKRC Cincinnati is, however, at the moment still providing their TVGOS streams ...

Jeff
post #6574 of 6613 Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Jon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitewatchman View Post

Hi John,
From what I've read per the info at threads/link Paul provided as well as elsewhere, it looks pretty certian Rovi is discontinuing TVGOS via broadcasters signals throughout N America anyway, per some sort of phase out schedule which began Nov 1 and ends april 2013, and at this point, I could be wrong but I sort of doubt it will be back from WHIO ..
WKRC Cincinnati is, however, at the moment still providing their TVGOS streams ...

Thanks for the reply. I've got a Pioneer Elite TV that almost requires TVGOS to operate which in itself is ridiculous but every time TVGOS signal is down the TV randomly shuts off with 12 flashes of the Led. When it has TVGOS it will run flawlessly for years with NO issues. I'll just try to figure out a way to turn off TV Guide on the Elite.

Thanks,
John
post #6575 of 6613 Old 01-27-2013, 09:56 PM

WKEF/WRGT has finally implemented HD newscast. The last news club in Dayton to do so.
post #6576 of 6613 Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 PM

Is there something up with the 5.1 mapping on wdtn and wkef? The center channel audio is coming out surround left. It's fine on whio and the cincy equivalent of NBC and abc...

- Keith
post #6577 of 6613 Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post

Is there something up with the 5.1 mapping on wdtn and wkef? The center channel audio is coming out surround left. It's fine on whio and the cincy equivalent of NBC and abc...

Been a problem for years, especially during college football broadcasts . I have contacted them before & they don't seem to care.
post #6578 of 6613 Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 PM

What's the deal with Dayton's WPTD-16.1 PBS affiliate's periodic (every 10 to 15 minute) momentary drop outs? They've occurred since they went digital, and I'm sure that it's them as it happens on all receivers/TVs that I've been able to try receiving their signal terrestrially OTR from a variety of antannae.

Rob Wolski
post #6579 of 6613 Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wolski 
What's the deal with Dayton's WPTD-16.1 PBS affiliate's periodic (every 10 to 15 minute) momentary drop outs? They've occurred since they went digital, and I'm sure that it's them as it happens on all receivers/TVs that I've been able to try receiving their signal terrestrially OTR from a variety of antannae.

I assume you mean OTA, as OTR (On the road/mobile) certainly won't work without M/H, which they don't do currently wink.gif

They went digital in late April 2003(On RF channel 58, moved to RF 16 on 5/1/09 per analog shut off), since then, I've not seen that happen.

Though your "my stuff" info indicates you are using some older receivers as well as newer ones, it seems unusual you are having the problem on all of them, particularly if the issue is happening at the exact same times on all of them ...

If the latter is the case, My best guess w/o more info would involve some sort of interference issue, possibly involving, either an impulse noise issue(Much less common a problem on UHF than VHF, but more likely on UHF in cases if the signals are weak and on low end of UHF band), or if you are in strong signal area involving an overloaded amp/front-end of receivers(due to say a amplifier used with your antenna setup/Intermodulation distortion/etc) or problem with connections to antenna/feedline/etc(could also involve the impulse/electrical noise issue) .. but If it happens at different times on the different receivers, could simply be a fairly common multipath/antenna aiming/positioning/etc. issue ...

All/any of which would be even more unusual if it happened prior to May 2009, when they were transmitting digital/HD on RF channel 58 ....

What sort of antenna are you using, and where (generally) are you located, and/or, what does www.tvfool.com predict for you for signal level from them ? That might let us narrow down the possibilities a bit ...

Jeff
post #6580 of 6613 Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 AM

I noticed yesterday that the channel mapping for 5.1 audio on WKEF seems to be correct! Yay, don't have to watch channel 9 out of cincy anymore.

- Keith
post #6581 of 6613 Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkozma View Post

I noticed yesterday that the channel mapping for 5.1 audio on WKEF seems to be correct! Yay, don't have to watch channel 9 out of cincy anymore.

Finally! Hopefully it's fixed for good.....
post #6582 of 6613 Old 05-02-2013, 04:05 AM

Almost made it two whole weeks! Back to the messed up mapping again.

Started of and on last night during that new show Family Tools.

Back to WCPO I go. *sigh*

- Keith
post #6583 of 6613 Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 AM

And it's fixed again. lol Do we have a wkef mole reading the forums? hahah

- Keith
post #6584 of 6613 Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 AM

Lets test that mole theory... It's messed up again this morning.

- Keith
post #6585 of 6613 Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

We're moving to Germantown soon and I don't foresee any issues continuing to receive the Dayton locals (will probably take a bit before I can get my antenna set up semi-properly). I was wondering about also getting Cincinnati locals.... We'll be about 30 miles away but they're not in the "right" direction for me. Dayton's are right around 45' while Cincy's are 195-200'. Looking at the compass "map" from TV Fool, they're almost 180' apart. Can UHF antennas pick up from the back side ? The antenna I have is this one from Radio Shack actually a Radio Shack branded version very similar to that, their U-75R model.

I bought it years ago and they no longer appear to offer it.
post #6586 of 6613 Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

We're moving to Germantown soon and I don't foresee any issues continuing to receive the Dayton locals (will probably take a bit before I can get my antenna set up semi-properly). I was wondering about also getting Cincinnati locals.... We'll be about 30 miles away but they're not in the "right" direction for me. Dayton's are right around 45' while Cincy's are 195-200'. Lntenna's ooking at the compass "map" from TV Fool, they're almost 180' apart. Can UHF antennas pick up from the back side ? The antenna I have is this one from Radio Shack actually a Radio Shack branded version very similar to that, their U-75R model.

Welcome to Germantown. I use two antenna's one pointed to Cincinnati and point to Dayton . I bought the antenna's from MCM in Springboro.
post #6587 of 6613 Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're moving to Germantown soon and I don't foresee any issues continuing to receive the Dayton locals (will probably take a bit before I can get my antenna set up semi-properly). I was wondering about also getting Cincinnati locals.... We'll be about 30 miles away but they're not in the "right" direction for me. Dayton's are right around 45' while Cincy's are 195-200'. Looking at the compass "map" from TV Fool, they're almost 180' apart. Can UHF antennas pick up from the back side ? The antenna I have is this one from Radio Shack actually a Radio Shack branded version very similar to that, their U-75R model.

I don't have a directional gain plot for that antenna, but generally that type of design is highly directional with almost all of the gain directed off the "front" of the antenna. I'm in a similar situation but near Cincinnati instead of Dayton and I use a rotor... When I aim at Dayton, all of the Dayton stations come in great with no issues, but I have some issues with the Cincinnati stations. If I aim at Cincinnati, I don't get the Dayton stations at all, but Cincinnati is perfect. You could always try to aim at Cincinnati and see what happens with the Dayton channels. If you have issues I'd suggest a rotor or get a second antenna and either use a combiner/joiner (which could introduce some issues but may end up working great), or an A-B switch.

Drop pay-TV. Put up an antenna. Enjoy free HDTV. Save $60-100 or more per month!
post #6588 of 6613 Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

In all honesty, I was hoping to get lucky with this antenna. No interest in a 2nd antenna or a rotor....

FWIW, with a 6" circular UHF antenna in the basement, my son's TV picked up most of Cincy's channels. Granted, they didn't come in quite strong enough to be reliable though. Then, using the above antenna, in the kitchen facing out the patio door, and aimed maybe 15º south of Dayton's towers, I still picked them up fine (being about 10 miles away helps a lot) and I also picked up all Cincy stations. I think between Dayton and Cincy, I got (30) channels. Some of the Cincy stations were good while others were borderline, but with locating it outside and aimed better, I'm hoping for the best !
post #6589 of 6613 Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:

We're moving to Germantown soon and I don't foresee any issues continuing to receive the Dayton locals (will probably take a bit before I can get my antenna set up semi-properly). I was wondering about also getting Cincinnati locals.... We'll be about 30 miles away but they're not in the "right" direction for me. Dayton's are right around 45' while Cincy's are 195-200'. Looking at the compass "map" from TV Fool, they're almost 180' apart. Can UHF antennas pick up from the back side ?

Just build a four-bay bowtie or Hoverman without the reflector section and you'll have an excellent bi-directional antenna (with a "figure 8" h-plane gain pattern, similar to that of a typical AM radio with its own bar antenna).

The web is full of plans for how to build a bowtie or a Hoverman.
post #6590 of 6613 Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

A Hoverman design ? Looks somewhat similar to the popular Channel Master 4220 design, yes ? I could get that same (I think) design from the link from MCM - I work in the 200 block of S Pioneer - for $25. I couldn't buy all the bits and pieces for anywhere near that, I'll bet...
post #6591 of 6613 Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to add, but I have our Panasonic LCD in the bedroom on the 2nd floor and hooked up this antenna. With that cheap little antenna, indoors, I get all of Cincinnati's locals except for PBS (ch 14) and they are, according to the built-in signal indicator, at 75% and higher.
post #6592 of 6613 Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

"all of them"(except WPTO ThinkTV 14/RF channel 28 ) would of course include Cincinnati locals WCVN (KET/PBS 54/RF 24), WBQC-LD(IND LP 25/RF 47) and WDYC-LP(daystar LP on 36) correct? -- As well as WKRC 12 (CBS "Local12" - RF VHF 12) on that UHF antenna?

btw, WPTO and WXIX(fox19 - RF 29) transmit from same tower with very similar facilities (power, height/etc) ... And, since they are 1st adjacent channel, it's generally unusual to get one and not the other ... even multipath situation should probably be similar for both ... although, if I recall correctly WXIX transmit antenna uses elliptical polarization .....

Jeff
post #6593 of 6613 Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

"all of them" to me means the (4) major networks. The others are freebies.... As I mentioned in earlier post(s), I'm confident I'll have no issues getting the Dayton locals. If I get Cincy locals, those are just a bonus.

I do recall that WPTO was picked up in the scan but was a completely black screen and no audio either (I didn't see what % it was indicating or if I did, I don't remember). Before I adjusted the antenna, I was getting pixellation on some channels.
post #6594 of 6613 Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

"All of them" to me means all of them, and you specifically mentioned a PBS station, which is not one of the big 4 ..... and almost forgot.... "all of them" would also include MyTV WSTR.

WKRC(for their local news) and WCVN(for some of their local/regional KET programming, plenty of other PBS stations around here of course) are probably the most important stations to us,and the ones overall which we watch the most here out of all the Cincinnati/Dayton stations ....

I'm 4 Miles SW of downtown Germantown, BTW about 1000FT south of Montgomery/Butler co line ... some of our neighbors have Germantown addresses(Are in Dayton DMA per zip code), some Middletown(Cincy DMA) ..

Jeff
post #6595 of 6613 Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:

A Hoverman design ? Looks somewhat similar to the popular Channel Master 4220 design, yes ? I could get that same (I think) design from the link from MCM - I work in the 200 block of S Pioneer - for $25. I couldn't buy all the bits and pieces for anywhere near that, I'll bet...

The CM 4220 is a two-bay bowtie with a reflector. A Hoverman consists of only two metal wires that are each bent in a zig-zag pattern, with the feedpoint being connected where the two wires almost meet at the center. A Hoverman usually has a reflector behind the driven elements as well.

For a bi-directional antenna, you want to get rid of the reflector. On the 4220, the reflector is the part of the antenna that looks like the rack of a barbeque grill. The reflector does have advantages - it doubles the sensitivity of the system, and rejects interference and/or multipath signals (echoes) that may come from the rear. However, if you actually want to receive stations from two opposite directions with one antenna, you want rid of the reflector (it may surprise you that having only half the sensitivity really makes very little difference - it cuts about 10% off of the range of a typical UHF signal).
post #6596 of 6613 Old 08-30-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got the antenna installed outdoors. From my location, most Dayton towers are at between 39-41' from me and Cincinnati's are between 191-197'. I aimed it around 194'.

I get (I won't make the dire mistake of using the word "all" again !!):

WDTN
WLWT
WHIO*
WCPO
WPTO
WPTD
WXIX
WKEF
WBDT
WRGT
WCET
WSTR

The Dayton stations listed above indicate 100% strength on my Dish Hopper's OTA tuner module without being aimed at them. I'm so close (7.8 - 8.9 miles away) that I could use a coat hanger and get them fine. I get the Cincinnati stations (listed above) between 75-92%. Watching Mr Bean on WPTO, indicating 75%, and all is well so far.
post #6597 of 6613 Old 08-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Finally got the antenna installed outdoors. From my location, most Dayton towers are at between 39-41' from me and Cincinnati's are between 191-197'. I aimed it around 194'.

WDTN
WLWT
WCPO
WPTO
WPTD
WXIX
WKEF
WBDT
WRGT
WCET
WSTR

So you're obviously not picking up WKRC which is VHF, but you're getting WHIO, right???

post #6598 of 6613 Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Ooops, I forgot to include WHIO. Yes, I'm picking it up.
post #6599 of 6613 Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

What the heck is up with WHIO? Their PSIP seems to be down more than it's up this summer. Most programs I record on my DVR just say "Unknown Program" and there is almost never any guide data.

post #6600 of 6613 Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, broken EIT's (resulting in missing EPG data) still seems to be a common problem for WHIO. Right now, Tsreader shows the eit's/epg info working correctly for 7.2, but not 7.1 ...

On another note, probably not a lot of people would notice this,(as who uses the SD version of the main ThinkTV service anyway?), but happened to notice that for at least the last week both WPTD/WPTO have been sending 480i widescreen(Not letterboxed) on 16.5/14.5 --- (the SD "duplicate" services of 16.1/14.1) ... Not quite sure why they are needing to do that ... Who wouldn't be able to downrez the 1080i version if they needed to? --- When it was 4x3 (with mostly letterboxed programming), the AR formatting issues might have caused some issues for some providers perhaps, which was my assumption as to why they had the 14.5/16.5 duplicate SD service, but I'm clueless as to why they need a seperate 480i 16x9 version using up 2+Mb/s bandwidth ...

480i 16x9 (not letterboxed!) would make sense for say, 16.2(ThinkTV again), though ....

Jeff
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page