Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV - Page 221 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6601 of 6613 Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Winegard (non-amplified) razor thin antenna. I live near 741 and Alex Bell, up on a hill, and my wall is almost perfectly facing the antennae. I get barely any signal! Even with an amplifier, I can only get PBS, CBS, and barely NBC. I'm only 4 miles away or so, and up on a hill, the side facing the antennae. Any idea why?

Here are my TV Fool results:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aed3c9f1256b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 6613 Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm flabbergasted. Checking the path profiles (accessed by clicking on the individual stations), you have an ideal path (no kinfe-edge situation).

Could the installation be seriously wrong (e.g., a plug in the wrong jack)? Perhaps the problem is pure overload - could a 40 dB attenuator help (at the cost of losing any hope of watching Cincy stations)?

You are also very close to many powerful FM stations, which may be overloading your tuner. This could be cured with an FM trap. Note the the Dayton market is currently devoid of TV stations actually transmitting on VHF - low nor high band. If you can't find an FM trap, you may do well to connect your tuner with a gimmick capacitor (that is, simply two wires close together, but not touching, capacitive coupling will inefficiently pass UHF while not passing VHF signals nearly as well).

One crazy thing to try that just might work. Unfurl a jumbo paper clip (about $5 for 100 at an office store) and stick it in your antenna jack!
post #6603 of 6613 Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 AM

Liked: 12
Is WKEF ever going to fix their audio? Every football game on Saturday has the center channel coming out of the L surround. This has been going on for years! mad.gif Does anyone know if the Cincinnati ABC affiliate have the same problem?
post #6604 of 6613 Old 10-16-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
WLWD-LD 20 (Daystar) has made their flash cut to digital and is currently on air ..... Also note (according to their construction permit) they moved the transmitter site from Springfield to the Dayton antenna farm, so some foks who didn't get them in analog may get them now ....

Jeff
post #6605 of 6613 Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

What's up with WDTN? Sunday Night Football looks horrid--grainy, bit-starved, dropped frames... I switched to the Cincinnati NBC affiliate, WLWT, and it looks beautiful.

Panny Plasma Junkie: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #6606 of 6613 Old 11-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Sunday night football looks horrible on WDTN. What the heck is their problem? As usual, WLWT looks fine.

post #6607 of 6613 Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post

Hate to sound like a broken record, but Sunday night football looks horrible on WDTN. What the heck is their problem? As usual, WLWT looks fine.

You should contact station management and get the name and number for their chief engineer so that you can discuss these ongoing issues with him/her. It may be due to how they're getting the national feed off the satellite, or something specific to how their equipment is configured for the games. When HD broadcasts first got started in South Florida, I got in touch with the engineers at NBC, CBS, PBS, and ABC on a regular basis...without exception, they all appreciated the feedback.
post #6608 of 6613 Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM

Anybody else been getting full audio/video drop outs on 7.1 OTA? Lasts for minutes at a time. Been happening for about a week now, I'd guess.

-Bruce
South Dayton

Buckeye1010
Dayton, OH
post #6609 of 6613 Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1010 View Post

Anybody else been getting full audio/video drop outs on 7.1 OTA? Lasts for minutes at a time. Been happening for about a week now, I'd guess.

-Bruce
South Dayton

Same here and it temporarily locks up my DVR when it happens.

post #6610 of 6613 Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM

First time poster here from Riverside, just east of Dayton. LG 55inch HDTV and a Magnavox DVR. No type of audio system in play, just an HDTV and SD DVR. TV was bought 3-4 years ago or so.

We just recently noticed this, actually on New Years Eve while watching ABC's Rockin' New Year on WKEF (22.1) that the audio would cut out and go wacky after some amount of time. We then have realized it affects WRGT (45.1) as well. We haven't noticed it on WHIO (7.1).

For instance, today, watching the AFC Championship on WHIO, no problem with the audio. Turned on the NFC Championship on WRGT and after 10-15 minutes, the sound goes wacky and I have to change channels and back to get it back to normal. And again, after another 15 minutes, channel switch. It never gets better. We switched to our DVR, which has its own tuner, and we didn't have any problems with the audio. (Antenna goes to the DVR then passes through to the TV.) No other channel behaves this way that we've noticed. (We had to go back to the TV because our DVR was going to change channels to record something, so we are now switching channels again...)

So, what is going on with WRGT/WKEF that makes my audio go wacky? Is my TV just too old? (That would annoy me! smile.gif )

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
post #6611 of 6613 Old 05-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Wanna have a laugh? I thought I was getting an assignment to Wright-Patterson AFB back 4 years ago, long story short I ended up going to Keesler AFB (near Biloxi), Mississippi instead and now I AM headed to Wright-Pat. Back in April 2010, I asked about reception of Cincinnati stations and I got some good answers of "you have no prayer". Thanks!

Anyways, I will living in the Prairies housing (near Page Manor on Colonel Glenn/Airway) in July and I currently have Directv for TV here in Mississippi and U-Verse for Internet. I was thinking about looking into Time Warner Cable for both if the deal is good but when I read my posts from 4 years ago someone mentioned KAS Cable serves WPAFB Housing. I looked at their website and it looks like it hasn't been updated since my last posting on this board and has no pricing info. I tried looking for Channel lineups on TWC using my new zip code (45431) and it comes up with 5 different areas for TWC (WPAFB, Beavercreek, City of Dayton, Harrison Twp, and South of Dayton). Does anyone know what lineup serves The Prairies area? I'm assuming Beavercreek since The housing which is considered Riverside shares the same zip as Beavercreek but I want to make sure because the WPAFB lineup only has Dayton stations where the other areas have Dayton and Cincy in HD. I called Time Warner and they seemed absolutely clueless on what I was asking and they couldn't pinpoint a lineup by my exact address.
post #6612 of 6613 Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope you've gotten an answer by now ! If not, the best suggestion I have is to simply wait until you move before you sign up with anyone and to see if Time Warner or KAS offers the service, just ask your neighbors. That zip code is quite a sprawling one, by the way.... It does in fact cover WPAFB, parts of Beavercreek, Riverside, Dayton, and possibly some of Fairborn. Believe it or not, TW has a call center in Kettering OH and if you spoke to someone there, they would know about who serves base housing. You could have been talking to someone in San Antonio, the Philippines, etc though.
post #6613 of 6613 Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WKEF to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page