Dayton / Lima, OH - HDTV - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #6721 of 6741 Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim58hsv View Post
Sinclair Broadcasting added Charge! TV to WRGT 45.4 this morning and as a added bonus they also removed Grit TV from WKEF 22.4 and replaced it with their new TBD network, which I predict will be every bit as popular as the Live Well network. Down Cincinnati way Sinclair did the same thing with WSTR 64.4 and replaced Get TV with TBD.

SMH.
Yea, just spent 30 minutes I'll never get back figuring this out. I liked GRIT, and it took me longer than I care to admit that TBD was the name of the station and not a placeholder in the listings.

DUH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6741 Old 03-01-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubster View Post
Yea, just spent 30 minutes I'll never get back figuring this out. I liked GRIT, and it took me longer than I care to admit that TBD was the name of the station and not a placeholder in the listings.

DUH
I thought the same thing when I saw the channel name. It matches the programming which is dumb.

-----------
Robert
post #6723 of 6741 Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I thought TBD meant (to be determined). Not impressed at all with TBD. This channel seems to make it appear all young adults are idiots.
Bubster likes this.

Last edited by Balloonfanatic; 03-04-2017 at 10:48 AM.

post #6724 of 6741 Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That was my problem. I thought it was Get TV at first with the guide info missing

-----------
Robert
post #6725 of 6741 Old 03-02-2017, 02:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbob View Post
That was my problem. I thought it was Get TV at first with the guide info missing

Yup, BINGO. I was tinkering with my Win7 MCE stations when I decided to just go to the TV tuner only and see what was really going on. Win7 Listings these days are a real problem because it seems MS is trying to discourage it's use wherever possible.

If there are any Media Center users left in this thread and tired of the listings headaches take a look at EPG123 using Schedules Direct ($25/yr for excellent quality listings).
post #6726 of 6741 Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Grit TV has returned to WKEF 22.4 . Hope it's permanent and not a temporary glitch. I did notice WSTR 64 was still showing TBD so maybe it's not a glitch and 22 got enough complaints about dropping Grit that Sinclair put it back on the air?
post #6727 of 6741 Old 03-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Grit TV has returned to WKEF 22.4 . Hope it's permanent and not a temporary glitch. I did notice WSTR 64 was still showing TBD so maybe it's not a glitch and 22 got enough complaints about dropping Grit that Sinclair put it back on the air?
Happy about GRIT, I like old westerns. I cringe at the stretching crap they were doing recently though. Seems to be a trend with SD subs.

Question for anyone: Do modern televisions "remember" aspect ratio settings per station? My 2012 Sammy sure pisses me off because it can't. Annoying to have to switch AR so much on SD stations just to keep it the way it was originally intended, and it looks better to boot.
post #6728 of 6741 Old 06-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use Schedules Direct listings for my Win7 Media Center, it's showing that Grit switches over to TBD again on 6/15/17 at 6am again. Titan TV listings don't show this... anyway we can find out for sure?

Also, with the upcoming jockeying of stations moving to different channels I'm beginning to get the idea that the powers that be don't like the OTA free TV people out there.
post #6729 of 6741 Old 06-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I use Schedules Direct listings for my Win7 Media Center, it's showing that Grit switches over to TBD again on 6/15/17 at 6am again. Titan TV listings don't show this... anyway we can find out for sure?
Oh great. I'm gonna' love posting that news on my blog, NOT. The last time Grit was replaced with that horrible TBD nonsense my blog got hit with over 40 replies to the post and all were negative toward the switch. It p***** people off and why wouldn't it? Grit's a great network and TBD...well, I've never read a positive comment online about TBD and we TV viewers universally hate it.
post #6730 of 6741 Old 06-08-2017, 05:29 PM

So it seems WBDT 26 in Dayton may not be going off the air after all according to the two month old story I just found on the Dayton Daily News website.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/busin...ry.com/article

Quote from the article...
"WBDT’s general manager said Friday that the station will not go off the air or even move to a new channel".

I don't know if 26 will close down or not but WCPO 9 out of Cincinnati is suppose to move to real channel 26 so unless something has changed, WBDT will have to move to another frequency.
post #6731 of 6741 Old 06-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can WDTN legally use two different "display channel" numbers -- 2 and 26 -- on its one physical channel? If so, I respectfully suspect you're wrong in your interpretation of that quote. It's all marketing semantics. He awkwardly wants to make clear that in no way will we no longer see the CW in Dayton. My understanding is that while the broadcast frequency will go off the air, the program content will continue on one of WDTN's digital sub channels. As for name? It's branded as "Dayton's CW" now. Not a heavy viewer but I never see or hear mention of a channel number, just the "Dayton's CW" channel name that wouldn't change despite physical channel. "Dayton's CW" would continue on the sub channel, much like Nexstar's 23 WNDY Marion/Indianapolis identifies as co-owned CW WISH-TV 8 on it's 23-3 (knowing that WNDY is also set to sign-off) or Tribune's 29 WTTK Kokomo is branded as CBS 4 on their over the air channel. And considering cable penetration, to most viewers "Dayton's CW," despite physical channel, will continue on its current cable virtual channel, not changing channels in the view of the subscriber. Though you could be right. The DDN reporter certainly lacked the ability to clarify just what was meant by "engineering exercise."
post #6732 of 6741 Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I talked to an engineer for wkoi CH.43. He said they are not going off the air but they were going to share a channel with another TV station.
This is probably what wbdt CH.26 will do (using one of their subchannels on CH.2 wdtn) for Dayton's cw.
It make a lot of sense since they won't be operating 2 transmitters and wdtn CH.2 signal is much stronger and omnidirectional.
tim58hsv likes this.

Last edited by Balloonfanatic; 06-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.
post #6733 of 6741 Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin'Charge View Post
Can WDTN legally use two different "display channel" numbers -- 2 and 26 -- on its one physical channel? If so, I respectfully suspect you're wrong in your interpretation of that quote. It's all marketing semantics. He awkwardly wants to make clear that in no way will we no longer see the CW in Dayton. My understanding is that while the broadcast frequency will go off the air, the program content will continue on one of WDTN's digital sub channels.
When he clearly stated "the station will not go off the air or even move to a new channel" that can only mean WBDT will be staying right where it is. If they were moving to a WDTN sub-channel they would be moving to a new channel. Yes?
post #6734 of 6741 Old 06-10-2017, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
The term "channel" is vague. Could easily enough to be referring to virtual channel.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6735 of 6741 Old 06-10-2017, 07:34 AM

Look, I'm not trying to argue. Just present how I read the article. Marketing double talk to ensure the viewer that "Dayton's CW" isn't going away. Again, IMO, the GM was rather vague -- "engineering exercise?" What does that mean? Certainly the DDN reporter lacked the knowledge to offer any follow up. But to me that suggests a change will be happening on the engineering side at 2/26. If 26 stays on-air, no engineering exercise would happen as nothing would change.

And Trip -- is it possible for a physical channel to use two different virtual channels? In this case, could 2-1 show as virtual channel 2 while 2-2 shows as virtual channel 26? That question based on the other quote from the GM -- that viewers "shouldn’t even really have to re-scan their TVs." If 26 were to remain, no mention of re-scanning was needed -- yet he did. Again, vague and could reference that most over-the-air viewers will already have scanned the sub-channel where "Dayton's CW" might move to.

Certainly, whether or not that happens on the viewers end, we already know of situations that despite the actual physical or virtual channel, the station identifies as something else...29 WTTK as CBS 4 or 23-3 WNDY as WISH-TV 8. In this case, 2-3 would still identify on screen as "Dayton's CW." And as I said, whether or not physical 26 signs-off, to the overwhelming majority who view the channel on cable or satellite, it won't be moving to a new channel.

I'm thinking someone needs to call the engineer at 2/26 and ask the obvious direct question. Clearly the GM didn't state the case clearly.
tim58hsv likes this.
post #6736 of 6741 Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin'Charge View Post
And Trip -- is it possible for a physical channel to use two different virtual channels? In this case, could 2-1 show as virtual channel 2 while 2-2 shows as virtual channel 26?

I'm thinking someone needs to call the engineer at 2/26 and ask the obvious direct question. Clearly the GM didn't state the case clearly.
To the first section I've quoted, yes, absolutely. Plenty of stations already do that. I'm not thinking of a good example in your part of the country, but in my part of the country, WAHU-CD runs 27-1, 27-2, and 19-2. WBOC is 16-1, 16-2, and 21-2. In California, KESQ is 42-1, 42-2, 2-3, 15-1, and 33-2.

To the second section, and much of the rest of your comment, the GM almost certainly meant that CW would move to the WDTN transmitter as 26-1. But of course, the GM is not an engineer and couldn't explain it.

There is no question that WBDT's spectrum was sold in the auction, and the WBDT channel 26 signal is thus going away. That was announced by the FCC. So unless Nexstar is going to do a channel sharing agreement with one of its competitors, if the GM says CW will stay on the air, it will be as a subchannel of WDTN, probably as 26-1.

- Trip
tim58hsv likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #6737 of 6741 Old 06-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Trip. You're a valued resource.
post #6738 of 6741 Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mini-rant:
I have learned to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER trust ANYTHING I've read in the Dayton Daily Snooze...

ODN 8.0.0_23, Arris DCX3600-M, Dayton Ohio
post #6739 of 6741 Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Schedules Direct was correct and the TBD network has once again reared it's ugly head on 22.4.

Also, WPTO 14 seems to be off the air this morning.
post #6740 of 6741 Old 06-15-2017, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, Schedules Direct was correct and the TBD network has once again reared it's ugly head on 22.4.

Also, WPTO 14 seems to be off the air this morning.
Yea, i switched to my TV tuner yesterday and pressed the info button to see what that said.... the program info during a GRIT western movie said TBD COMING TOMORROW! as if it was a great thing.

Oh well.
post #6741 of 6741 Old 06-20-2017, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Sometihng is wrong with the tower for 14: ThinkTV14 is currently off the air. We are working to repair the broadcast tower and we apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your patience as we work to get ThinkTV14 back online. http://www.thinktv.org/air/
tim58hsv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page