Des Moines, IA - HDTV - Page 145 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2014, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglecord View Post
Three and half years later you get your wish! Just saw a promo saying The Jeffersons is supposed to begin airing on Antenna TV in January (2015). Other series coming to that network in 2015 (according to internet scuttlebutt) include Newhart, Mork & Mindy, One Day at a Time, Family Ties, Evening Shade, Leave it to Beaver, Doogie Howser, MD, Mr. Belvedere, Dear John, and Small Wonder.
I think we are fortunate to have such a fine variety of OTA networks in DSM, especially MeTV, Antenna TV, This TV, CW and the big 4 networks, ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. I'm looking forward to The Jeffersons coming back on the air again, and altho I did not appreciate it in the first run, I really want to check out Newhart (his second series) when it returns, also think I might enjoy seeing One Day at a Time once thru just because it's been so long. Some other classics that have been lurking on hallmark and other obscure cable networks need to get cycled into OTA TV, such as Alice and Little House on the Prairie.

I think ABC 5.1 should get sold off to Pax/Ion 39.1 so they can step up coverage to the whole DSM metro area and not just the east side of town. Another poster mentioned how 2.1 from Cedar Rapids can have such a wide coverage area, why can't WOI 5.1 crank out some more power and do the same? If that is not possible, perhaps its time to introduce a new transmitter frequency for WOI, without taking one away from another network like CW 23, but introducing a whole new channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

I think ABC 5.1 should get sold off to Pax/Ion 39.1 so they can step up coverage to the whole DSM metro area and not just the east side of town. Another poster mentioned how 2.1 from Cedar Rapids can have such a wide coverage area, why can't WOI 5.1 crank out some more power and do the same? If that is not possible, perhaps its time to introduce a new transmitter frequency for WOI, without taking one away from another network like CW 23, but introducing a whole new channel.
In case you missed it, Nexstar, the new owners of channel 5 have applied to buy KCWI 23. If that goes through, I could see WOI and ABC programming moving to 23.1 in HD, KCWI to 23.2 in SD, then on 5, KCWI on 5.1 in HD and perhaps WOI on 5.2 in SD, or other sub-nets.

Doubt seriously than WOI will ever get a totally new replacement channel for RF 5. Maybe the FCC will have it in their hearts to give the VHF's in DM more power, especially channel 5. What concerns me is that Nexstar might offer channel 23 as auction bait in the upcoming TV repack. If that happens, they'll cram everything onto channel 5. At this point, it's just my speculation

www.therenegaderoadhouse.co Southern rock, pop and country favorites play here!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Well, I hope Nextar's application to buy 23 is denied. I like the CW network and enjoy watching movies in HD, they have the best morning program on the air, Jason Parkin and crew have worked hard making "Great Day" a fun to watch morning show that oozes with local flavor. That station will get hurt bad without HD, and WOI will still be the same steamy pile of crap they are now, just like the parent network, ABC. If this deal goes thru it will be a real slap down for OTA TV in Des Moines, I hope they shoot this deal down and make WOI work with what they've got or give them license for a new station frequency/transmitter.

Yeah, we really need WOI to get the better HD transmitter so they can run some more informercial crap while KCWI works it's ass off entertaining the public with good news, sit coms and movie programming. WOI should become KCWI's subchannel bitch and get knocked down to standard if that's the way it has to go to get more range out of WOI.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I can't think of the least time I watched either channel, but I get what you're saying
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 26
you do know that stations can run 2 HD signals on the same RF frequency?
So there is no reason why they couldnt put CW as a 720p subchannel
Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
you do know that stations can run 2 HD signals on the same RF frequency?
So there is no reason why they couldnt put CW as a 720p subchannel
Well, that's why I come to this forum, to get some good info like you posted here. I was under the impression that a sub channel had to be standard 4:3 because that's the way ALL the sub channels are in our local area. There must be a reason for that, is it more expensive to upgrade the equipment for that ? For example we have 2 sub channels that show movies, 17.2 and 19.1, both would look great in wide screen HD but are broadcast in standard. Thus, why would I not expect KCWI to get clipped down if it became a sub channel of WOI ?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, that's why I come to this forum, to get some good info like you posted here. I was under the impression that a sub channel had to be standard 4:3 because that's the way ALL the sub channels are in our local area. There must be a reason for that, is it more expensive to upgrade the equipment for that ? For example we have 2 sub channels that show movies, 17.2 and 19.1, both would look great in wide screen HD but are broadcast in standard. Thus, why would I not expect KCWI to get clipped down if it became a sub channel of WOI ?
The subchannels like Me, This, Antenna, Movies, bounce, etc are only broadcast in 480i to begin with. That is from the master feed. So that is why they are in SD. Now some markets make it 480i widescreen. Minneapolis does that with Me, This and Antenna. The reason being so they can show commercials in "HD" for ABC and the co-owned Independent station. (all 3 are subchannels on the independent)

When you are dealing with a network like CW, My, or the Big 4 they can put it as HD or SD. In smaller markets where there wasnt a full slate of networks pre-digital now they can add those, and in most cases it is in HD. A few examples
Ottumwa, IA the ABC in Kirksville added CBS in HD. Conversely the CBS in Quincy, IL added ABC (both owned by same companies)
In Montana all the ABC stations in the state have Fox as a 720p subchannel. In almost all the markets the CBS has CW in HD too
In Sherman, TX/Ada OK area they run all 4 nets in HD off 2 stations. KXII has CBS -1, My (SD)-2 and Fox HD -3, KTEN has NBC -1, CW (SD)-2 and ABC -3

Using my market of Minneapolis, our Fox and My afffiliates are owned by Fox. Fox is on RF9 and My is on RF29. Ever since the DTV transition folks have had issues with Fox 9 as its on VHF. So for the longest time there was a SD version on RF29. Recently they changed it over so on RF29 is FOX and My in HD (there is another version of Fox HD on RF9)

Also due to the FCC crackdowns on companies owning/running 2 stations in smaller markets the owner gets crafty. In Western North Dakota FOX is a HD subchannel on NBC. In Fargo they recently moved CBS to a subchannel of the NBC.

I don't see if they decide to make it a subchannel why it wouldnt be in HD
mofford likes this.

Last edited by unclehonkey; 12-17-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:55 PM

Good info from unclehonkey on what other markets are doing with sub channels in full HD. I hope he is right about 23 being a full HD subchannel of WOI, if that happens. The problem I see is the expense for the parent/main to upgrade equipment that will allow HD expansion to sub channels.

What makes me a bit skeptical is how our local stations are doing things now. For example, KCCI is broadcasting a special on METV tonight about Tom Harkin, not in wide screen HD but squished widescreen in 4:3, which I must manually select Full mode on my TV to sweep it out to proper aspect ratio, and it is not in HD but 480i.

WHO TV has a good weather channel, 13.2 in SD with the same deal, a squished widescreen into 4'3 format. Why would they not broadcast in wide format, even if it is not in HD, and why not step it up to HD too ? Is it because the costs to upgrade to this capability is prohibitive for stations in our market ? Remember with this WOI / KCWI deal, we are talking about WOI here, the Po' Boy of the big 4 in DSM. if WOI had to spend more than 200 bucks on any upgrades, I'm not sure they could swing it, lol.

Also, if it's not all that expensive to upgrade these subchannels, then why has PaxIon 39.1 been stuck there in the low power zone all this time, and not picked up by some other network as a subchannel, like after RTV tanked on 5.2, why did WOI not pick it up as 5.2. Or perhaps 23 pick it up as 23.2. We can see stations can be affiliated with each other without changing channel numbers, such as 23.1 and 19.1, why won't someone pick up PaxIon, do they have cooties or something?

Last edited by mofford; 12-28-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good info from unclehonkey on what other markets are doing with sub channels in full HD. I hope he is right about 23 being a full HD subchannel of WOI, if that happens. The problem I see is the expense for the parent/main to upgrade equipment that will allow HD expansion to sub channels.
The thing with Nexstar is they arent "subchannel friendly" as in they usually don't put subchannels on unless they have to. Most Nexstar stations with subchannels were there before Nextar bought them

Quote:
WHO TV has a good weather channel, 13.2 in SD with the same deal, a squished widescreen into 4'3 format. Why would they not broadcast in wide format, even if it is not in HD, and why not step it up to HD too ? Is it because the costs to upgrade to this capability is prohibitive for stations in our market ?
The thing is there is only so much bandwidth per RF station to go across the various subchannels. HD takes more bandwidth than SD and usually weather type channels are just "there"....they can be put on with minimal bandwidth used. While that is usually good if they have other programming on it that can cause issues. Again in Minneapolis we have Weather Nation on the NBC subchannel. During high school football season they have "prep sports extra" on Friday's on that station. Watching it OTA is miserable. Think blowing up a youtube video that has fast motion. It looks REAL bad. But thats only like 10 Fridays a year so folks deal with it (cable has a direct feed of the station so it looks much better)

Quote:
Also, if it's not all that expensive to upgrade these subchannels, then why has PaxIon 39.1 been stuck there in the low power zone all this time, and not picked up by some other network as a subchannel, like after RTV tanked on 5.2, why did WOI not pick it up as 5.2. Or perhaps 23 pick it up as 23.2. We can see stations can be affiliated with each other without changing channel numbers, such as 23.1 and 19.1, why won't someone pick up PaxIon, do they have cooties or something?
couple notes
Most Ion stations are owned by Ion themselves (as in this case). So its not like another station can say "oh we want the Ion affiliation". As to why they cant upgrade only thing I can see is CBS in Sioux City uses the same RF station (39). So maybe that is why they can't due to possible short spacing. I honestly dont know. I know the Ion in Minneapolis is at 1 million watts (full power) on a 1400 foot tower. The DSM one is 116,000 watts and 505 feet for the tower
Subchannel agreements are usually signed by the parent company to go across the board (across the country on their stations). Great example is Sinclair with GetTV and soon Grit.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
KCCI is broadcasting a special on METV tonight about Tom Harkin, not in wide screen HD but squished widescreen in 4:3, which I must manually select Full mode on my TV to sweep it out to proper aspect ratio, and it is not in HD but 480i.

WHO TV has a good weather channel, 13.2 in SD with the same deal, a squished widescreen into 4'3 format. Why would they not broadcast in wide format, even if it is not in HD, and why not step it up to HD too?
Widescreen picture squished into 4:3 format? You might have the same situation as me.

I only have one HD TV (a Vizio) and any station that broadcasts an SD picture in 16:9 has the picture squashed from the sides. That's channels 8.3, 13.2 and 17.2. But on any of my other sets, which are SD with a 4:3 screen, using a built-in digital tuner on one and converter boxes on the others, the picture on those channels comes in at 16:9 ratio with black or gray bars along the top and bottom. Also, on those sets, the programming on 8.3 is at the proper aspect ratio, but because it's 16:9 and most of the programs are 4:3, the picture has black bars on all four sides.

My sister has two HD sets (Insignia and Samsung) and 8.3 and 13.2 come in at their proper aspect ratio.

So WHO and KCCI aren't squashing the picture; it's some shortcoming of our hardware.

17.2 is squashing their picture. The basketball games are properly formatted at 16:9 (albeit in SD). But the programming on Get TV is squashed at top and bottom. And then my Vizio (and your set, too?) squashes it from the sides.

"This is my ancestor, Philo Farnsworth, inventor of television ... and, as a bonus, childhood obesity."--Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth on the Futurama episode "All the Presidents' Heads."

Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM

And on a less technical note: we have a new channel--and lost an old one. 17.3 now carries Grit ... and dropped Zuus Country.

Rabbitears.info had claimed Zuus would stay on 17.3 and Grit would be on 17.4. Now Rabbit Ears lists Grit on 17.3, but still says it has yet to air "(Soon)". And while I'm typing this, it goes off the air!

subtract an hour for Central Time.
http://www.grittv.com/tv-schedule/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grit_%28TV_network%29

"This is my ancestor, Philo Farnsworth, inventor of television ... and, as a bonus, childhood obesity."--Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth on the Futurama episode "All the Presidents' Heads."

Last edited by tanglecord; 12-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Trip (the guy who runs rabitears) didnt know what was going to happen when SInclair added Grit across the board. Just recently we found out they were dropping Zuus. They did the same in Minneapolis
Old 12-31-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Except in certain cases, I don't really have any inside information, only the same publicly available information everyone else could theoretically get with research. I knew Grit was being added to KDSM, but not to which subchannel. So I showed it as a new 17-4 until I learned otherwise. It is now corrected.

- Trip
unclehonkey likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 12-31-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglecord View Post
Widescreen picture squished into 4:3 format? You might have the same situation as me.

I only have one HD TV (a Vizio) and any station that broadcasts an SD picture in 16:9 has the picture squashed from the sides. That's channels 8.3, 13.2 and 17.2. But on any of my other sets, which are SD with a 4:3 screen, using a built-in digital tuner on one and converter boxes on the others, the picture on those channels comes in at 16:9 ratio with black or gray bars along the top and bottom. Also, on those sets, the programming on 8.3 is at the proper aspect ratio, but because it's 16:9 and most of the programs are 4:3, the picture has black bars on all four sides.

My sister has two HD sets (Insignia and Samsung) and 8.3 and 13.2 come in at their proper aspect ratio.

So WHO and KCCI aren't squashing the picture; it's some shortcoming of our hardware.

17.2 is squashing their picture. The basketball games are properly formatted at 16:9 (albeit in SD). But the programming on Get TV is squashed at top and bottom. And then my Vizio (and your set, too?) squashes it from the sides.
Yep, my old sony bravia made in 2007 is showing it's age by not picking up correct aspect ratio on some channels without a manual switch with the normal/full/zoom feature. Not a big deal, my DVR will pick them right, but not until recently has my DVR (Magnavox H2160mw9) been able to pick up 13.2 in wide like it should be without having to change TV setting to full.

Been checking out the GRIT tonight, it crashed at 8:30 during THE JACKAL, and they are playing around on KDSM and underlings with the aspect ratio tonight, kinda all over the place. The DVR would not pick up 17.3 in wide without a manual sweep to Full, but at least I can watch it in true 16:9 if I want, looked a little dark but not too bad (before it crashed). Wish THIS TV would broadcast in wide, I enjoy having more movie choices now with all these new channels, especially on weekends. Channel 11.3 always gives me a postage stamp 16:9 on my old sony, so I just use the ZOOM feature on that channel to stretch it out on all sides, looks good that way and fills the screen perfectly.

Last edited by mofford; 12-31-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 AM

I wish the TV Guide.com site would update 17.3 from Zuus to Grit on my local favorites pick. Definitely the best TV guide I have found, letting you pick your provider, cable - satellite - OTA. Nice to have all your favorites marked with set/edit feature so it loads only what you want each time you visit, not much scrolling after you screen out the repeated PBS channels and worthless channels you never watch. Only problem is when you clear out your cookies and browser, you have to reset everything, but that only takes a few minutes.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like TitanTV for listings, because you can customize each channel listed including adding channels that aren't listed or removing channels you don't want. I have a custom guide set up for myself which gives me my local channels (only the ones I watch) along with the feeds I get off the satellite dish and a few other odds and ends. And it's tied to an account so I don't have to reset things except when I move and the lineup changes.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 01-03-2015, 11:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
I don't see if they decide to make it a subchannel why it wouldnt be in HD
Because the starved bitrate of both channels would be SO bad that neither of them would be watchable. Learn about the limitations of ATSC before you post crap like this.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not entirely sure what's "crap" about posting about something that dozens (hundreds?) of stations now do. http://www.rabbitears.info/oddsanden...request=dualhd

- Trip
unclehonkey likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Old 01-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrettb View Post
Because the starved bitrate of both channels would be SO bad that neither of them would be watchable. Learn about the limitations of ATSC before you post crap like this.
really? Oh so I guess the smaller markets where they run 2 HD signals (and in some cases a SD too) and its fine
Maybe you are the one who needs to read up on it

(by the way my ABC in Minneapolis runs less then HALF the bandwidth for their HD signal because apparently mobile is more important to them)

oh and by the way. Fox in Minneapolis runs dual HD here. Fox on -1, My on -2

Last edited by unclehonkey; 01-04-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM

My apologies to mofford and everyone else. I don't see The Jeffersons listed on Antenna TV in January. I did see a commercial promoting the show as coming in January. Just once. The channel's current home page has a slideshow that features a listing of eleven shows (each in its distinctive logo) with a banner reading "Coming 2015 & 2016". A 12-month tease!

http://antennatv.tv/

Of the eleven "new" programs listed on the slideshow, five have yet to show up on the schedule: Dear John, Family Ties, Mork & Mindy, One Day at a Time, and The Jeffersons.

http://antennatv.tv/wp-content/uploa...-East-West.pdf

Subtract an hour from the East Coast times for Iowa.

EDIT: Antenna TV took down the list of upcoming series from their slideshow.

Last edited by tanglecord; 01-21-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Change in website's slideshow
Old 01-22-2015, 11:05 PM

Guess we'll have to hang in there another year for The Jeffersons, just hope they show all the episodes when they finally do air it, and not dump it after a few months like they did with Married with Children. Still waiting for the Hill Street Blues they promised us on the H&I channel.

I think Grit on 17.3 is a good addition to our OTA lineup. KDSM 17 is using a very minimal bit rate for that channel however, kinda breaks up with fast motion action scenes, the data can't quite keep up with the action.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Woi DT2

WOI TV DT2 5.2 is off the air.
Joe
Old 01-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody here using Schedules Direct for their OTA listings in the Des Moines area?

Since Iowa Public Television is shutting down their OTA transmitter between 12a-5a each night, I was expecting the OTA feed to reflect this.

Looks like some of the mediacom/cable programming is leaking onto the OTA feed.

I've dropped Schedules Direct a line to let them know, but as I'm fairly new to this setup, wondered if others had similar experiences?

Most is just blank recordings (due to the transmitter being offline), or the tuner (HDHomerun) locks up attempting to tune IPTV when offline. So far just manually trimming out the upcoming recordings that occur between 12a-5a.

If there is a neat MythTv trick to ignore listings during these hours regardless of what SD is saying, please let me know!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post
WOI TV DT2 5.2 is off the air.
Joe
How wlll we ever survive without it, lol.....what a crap channel that was. I wonder how the WOI-KCWI deal is going ?

Totally hooked on the new channel of the southland, GRIT. ....TV with a BACKBONE. Noticed that most of the affiliates for GRIT are in the SE part of the country and not many northern and western cities yet. Were so lucky to get it, with the Chuck Norris Silent Rage, Soldiers Story, and old Jack Nicholson movie tonight Last Detail was awesome, never saw that one before, very special. They had Casualties of War and "The Beast" on the other night.....love that line "The tank feels more roomy now sir" lol.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=mofford;31270426]. I wonder how the WOI-KCWI deal is going ?

What is their deal ?
Joe
Old 01-29-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian3 View Post
Nexstar, the new owners of WOI-TV, is buying KCWI 23 from Pappas Telecasting for $3.5 million (https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=51502 )

Could this be the sinking of "el cinco de stinko" as we know it, or the end of operation on RF channel 5? It would seem very likely that Nexstar will move WOI to RF channel 23 while maintaining the virtual channel 5 designation.

ABC on 5.1, CW on 5.2? Or will KCWI continue to exist as a separate entity and separate virtual channel? I don't know how that works, can there be a virtual 5.1 and 23.1 on the same RF channel? Let the speculation begin!

This deal Joe
Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renstyle View Post
Anybody here using Schedules Direct for their OTA listings in the Des Moines area?

Since Iowa Public Television is shutting down their OTA transmitter between 12a-5a each night, I was expecting the OTA feed to reflect this.

Looks like some of the mediacom/cable programming is leaking onto the OTA feed.
Late to the party here, but IPTV is likely using a single PSIP generator to make EPG's for their broadcast stream, which goes to all points (transmitters, direct feeds to Mediacom, etc.) Fixing this costs money, and I'm for not spending my tax dollars on the fix.

Quote:
...WHO TV has a good weather channel, 13.2 in SD with the same deal, a squished widescreen into 4'3 format. Why would they not broadcast in wide format, even if it is not in HD, and why not step it up to HD too ?...
13.2 is widescreen SD...a 16x9 aspect ratio flag is transmitted with this channel. If you aren't seeing it widescreen on your box, you have to change your box settings. HD for .2 or .3 would steal too much BW from .1, so that probably won't happen.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM

After that false start earlier, The Jeffersons comes to Antenna TV starting today (Sat. April 4) with a 24-hour marathon starting at 7pm and going til 7Pm Sunday. The episodes for the marathon will not be shown in chronological order. Included will be a "Who Shot J.R.?" parody, episodes with appearances by Sammy Davis, Jr. and Billy Dee Williams, Tom wears a pimp hat and tries to act urban, two 2-parters (1) Louise witnesses a giant rabbit commit murder and (2) The gang goes on a murder mystery cruise, and one of the more dramatic episodes ("The First Store", airing Sunday 4/5 at 7:30am), which flashes back to the day Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot.

The Jeffersons begins airing regularly on Antenna TV with back-to-back episodes weeknights at 9pm and Sundays at 6pm.

One of the last surviving cast members, Marla Gibbs, who played Florence, appears on the syndicated sitcom The First Family, which airs here early Sunday morning 3-4am on CW 23.

Starting Monday, April 6, One Day at a Time airs on Antenna TV, weeknights at 10pm and Sundays at 8pm.

Sorry to sound like a press release, but I feel I should make up for it after that supposed January start time and Antenna TV's homepage slideshow advertising "Coming 2015 & 2016."