Des Moines, IA - HDTV - Page 146 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #4351 of 4360 Old 05-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Something weird is going on with channels 5, 19, and 23 this morning. Channels 19 and 23 are off the air, and WOI is showing up on 5.3, with strange echo like sound. They must be working on the deal worked out earlier this year, as mentioned earlier in this thread concerning the WOI purchase of KCWI.
Are they back up for anyone yet? I checked again last night and they weren't, but I haven't rescanned my TiVo since Monday night.

I worked at the station 25 years ago and yesterday I emailed a contact that's still there and have gotten no response. I wonder if things didn't go as planned?

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4360 Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thrillcat, 19 and 23 were down on Monday, but back up on Tuesday. I have noticed an infrequent signal blip/drop out on 19 and 23 since then, not perfect signal like before Monday. On my older Sony TV, channel 5.1 is now blank and WOI shows up on 5.3, and no more 50,1, but now have a 50.3 for the downtown repeater. My DVR tuner shows WOI on 5.1 like normal, but duplicates for 19 and 23, with 19.1 and 19.2, and 23.1 and 23.2, so I don't know what is going on, but getting good signal strength on these channels in question, including 5.3. Anyone know what the final scheme is going to be? Will it become 5.1 WOI, 5.2 KCWI, and 5.3 KDMI ?

Last edited by mofford; 05-14-2015 at 11:37 AM.
post #4353 of 4360 Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
thrillcat, 19 and 23 were down on Monday, but back up on Tuesday. I have noticed an infrequent signal blip/drop out on 19 and 23 since then, not perfect signal like before Monday. On my older Sony TV, channel 5.1 is now blank and WOI shows up on 5.3, and no more 50,1, but now have a 50.3 for the downtown repeater. My DVR tuner shows WOI on 5.1 like normal, but duplicates for 19 and 23, with 19.1 and 19.2, and 23.1 and 23.2, so I don't know what is going on, but getting a strong signal on these channels in question, including 5.3. Anyone know what the final scheme is going to be? Will it become 5.1 WOI, 5.2 KCWI, and 5.3 KDMI ?
Interesting. Monday night 5.3 didn't come up in the channel scan at all.

As far as the rest, TiVo gives me an error message for those channels, saying "There is a problem with the signal on this channel" which is different from the "Searching for signal on this channel" it gives when it just can't see the signal, like it does this time of year for iON (when my neighbor's trees fill in).

I guess I'll try a rescan when I get home and see if it finds anything on 5.3.

post #4354 of 4360 Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Interesting. Monday night 5.3 didn't come up in the channel scan at all.

As far as the rest, TiVo gives me an error message for those channels, saying "There is a problem with the signal on this channel" which is different from the "Searching for signal on this channel" it gives when it just can't see the signal, like it does this time of year for iON (when my neighbor's trees fill in).

I guess I'll try a rescan when I get home and see if it finds anything on 5.3.

My Channel Master DVR+ also lost the ability to record and time shift 5.1. It seemed to tune to it but could not record. All other channels were normal. A quick rescan brought the "new" frequency of 5.1 online and all works as normal now.
post #4355 of 4360 Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

My TiVos are still having some issues. Sometimes it will lock in on the program, sometimes even though it gets a signal lock, it can't interpret the program. I've rescanned and rebooted.

I've got both units to lock in on the program right now and I'm just going to leave them there for awhile and see if it figures things out. If not, this could push me to the DVR+, I've been considering it for awhile anyway.

post #4356 of 4360 Old 05-15-2015, 11:53 AM

23 was just horrible this morning, Great Day was cutting in and out so bad I couldn't enjoy the program. I think WOI screwed this thing up, and from this point forward I expect 19 and 23 to have lower signal quality than before. I think the viewer will get screwed by this deal as I predicted earlier in the thread. I noticed WOI has a good quality signal with no blips since Tuesday, but 19 and 23 suck now. Thanks WOI, I bet Jason Parkins is really happy about you quys sabotaging channel 23, way to get better ratings, you guys suck, fix your boo boo.

Too bad about KCCI's chief weather guy, John McLaughlin. I always wondered why he coughed so much, now we know but I hate to see it terminate his career. I think Kurtis Gertz will probably take over as chief meteorologist, as John has an incurable rare disease. It will be a miracle if he returns to broadcasting.
post #4357 of 4360 Old 05-16-2015, 09:22 AM

Morning update.....the infomercial on WOI looks perfect this morning, while at the same time, Expedition Wild on 23, and the Lincoln movie on 19, are skipping and dropping out every few minutes.
post #4358 of 4360 Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

It took awhile, but after about an hour of channeling up and back down, switching away and back via the guide, I finally got it to lock in on WOI. I just left it there for about an hour, did the same process on my other TiVo, and now all the channels involved in this switch seem to be locked in pretty good. Not having any problems or delays when selecting any of them. Strong signal, not getting the blips and hiccups you're reporting.

post #4359 of 4360 Old Today, 08:12 AM

Yes, doing a re-scan on both the TV and DVR helped. Now my TV picks up WOI on 5.1, not 5.3 like before, but TV still picks up downtown repeater as 50.3. The TV picks up 19 and 23 like normal as 19.1 and 23.1, but on the DVR when I select 23.1 with the remote, it reverts to 23.2.

I was able to re-position the antenna to get rid of the little blips on 19 and 23. WOI comes in stronger now than it was before, curious if they are still using their old frequency, or if they changed it and still using old channel number? What did they do last monday?

What is the secret of the grail.....who does it serve ?

Last edited by mofford; Today at 08:15 AM.
post #4360 of 4360 Old Today, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Odd that I haven't heard back from my contact. He usually gets right back to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception