Des Moines, IA - HDTV - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #4381 of 4408 Unread 03-21-2016, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK, I see what they did, what a mind fry. My older Sony TV wont pick it up with a channel scan, but 23 KCWI now shows up on 23.3 if I manually enter that with remote. Likewise, the new TCT 19 will not pick up with channel scan, but shows up on 19.3 when I manually enter with remote.

Now with my Magnavox DVR's, channel 23 is now on 19.1, and I can't find TCT channel 19 at all on my DVR's.

OOOPS, I take that back, the DVR just lost 23 on 19, and I'm very confused now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4408 Unread 03-23-2016, 11:06 AM

Channel 23 and 19 back to normal, showing as 23.1 and 19.1 on my DVR's. However, my TV will not pick up 23 with channel scan, but was able to manually enter 23.3 after a channel scan, to get my TV to recognize it as a channel.

Too bad WOI/nextar does not wish to add any sub channels, I remember back in 2007 WOI was the first local station to add a sub channel, RTN, and kept that lead for a year or so before other stations began adding new sub channels.

I think the main HD channel for Ion 39.1, looks pretty good. Just too bad it's a low power station and you have to be within 20 or 30 miles of Valeria to get a good signal. They have an occasional movie or show I like, Law and Order SVU, or Blue Bloods is OK once in a while. The sub channels are mostly lame, ION Life is the only sub channel of 39 that I will allow in my channel guide, and it's pretty slim pickings. They should show some classic cartoons on Qubo at night, the cartoons they show really stink, kids really watch that crap ? They should roll out the Tom and Jerry after midnight, or some Ren and Stimpy, Spongebob or something good. How much can it cost to get rights to old cartoons like Bullwinkle or Yogi Bear....jeez.
csworldwide1 likes this.
post #4383 of 4408 Unread 03-23-2016, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I think the main HD channel for Ion 39.1, looks pretty good. Just too bad it's a low power station and you have to be within 20 or 30 miles of Valeria to get a good signal.
KFPX is a full-power station, but its stick is further away from the city and it's short (505 feet), and it only puts out 116kW, meaning it covers the metro and that's about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KFPX Coverage Map.png
Views:	71
Size:	790.8 KB
ID:	1333922  
mofford likes this.

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #4384 of 4408 Unread 04-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Magnavox HDD & DVD Player/Recorder with Digital Tuner, Model-MDR513H/F7. Trying to hook it up to my DirecTV satellite Genie Receiver. I've looked all through the manual and googled every connection possibility I can think of. Both the Recorder and my HDTV's max. resolution is 1080p. I know I can't hook up the Recorder directly to the DirecTV line input from the wall, as its signal is too powerful and would damage my Recorder. I want to ultimately have this connection: From DirecTV satellite receiver through my Recorder and finally to my TV at the 1080p resolution.

Here are the output ports of the DirecTV satellite receiver: Composite Video Out (Yellow/white/red), Component Video Out (R/G/B), S-Video Out, HDMI Output

Here are the only input ports on the Recorder: Antenna In, Composite Video In (Yellow/white/red)

Here are the output ports of the Recorder: Antenna Out, Composite Video Out (Yellow/white/red), Component Video Out (R/G/B), S-Video Out, HDMI Output, Coaxial Audio Digital Output

Unfortunately, the satellite box doesn't have an Antenna Out port. Using any combination of any of these input and output ports (plus any special cables and converters I need to purchase), how can I get a HD signal of at least 1080p from my satellite receiver, to my recorder, and finally to my HDTV. I would like the signal to be no less than 1080p - the max of the TV and the DVD Recorder. The manual tells me to use the Composite Video Out connection of the satellite receiver to the Composite Video Input connection of the recorder. But that would only give me a resolution of 480i.

Thanks for any help!
post #4385 of 4408 Unread 04-10-2016, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 53
simple answer...you can't

The HDD/DVD recorder will only input a 480i signal. It will upconvert the output.
Also if you hook anything to the composite output on the Directv reciever it only does so in 480i and requires you to change the format on the receiver (been there done that)

I own an older HDD/DVD recorder by polaroid that has component inputs and outputs (no HDMI) but even hooking to the component in doesnt work (signal is garbled..dont know why)

Also plugging the line directly from the wall to the HDD/DVD wont fry anything. It just wont work as you need a Diretcv tuner in it to decode the signal.
post #4386 of 4408 Unread 04-10-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
simple answer...you can't

The HDD/DVD recorder will only input a 480i signal. It will upconvert the output.
Also if you hook anything to the composite output on the Directv reciever it only does so in 480i and requires you to change the format on the receiver (been there done that)

I own an older HDD/DVD recorder by polaroid that has component inputs and outputs (no HDMI) but even hooking to the component in doesnt work (signal is garbled..dont know why)

Also plugging the line directly from the wall to the HDD/DVD wont fry anything. It just wont work as you need a Diretcv tuner in it to decode the signal.
OK - looks like my existing Composite RCA Output/Input to the recorder, then HDMI output to my TV is my only option. I just bought this unit as a used unit, greatly reduced in price. But why do they claim it can record in HD onto its HDD if it can't do it? I guess I don't understand. And why would you have an HDMI output to TV if there is no HDMI signal within the recorder unit to actually output to the TV? Doesn't make sense to me! My last DVD Recorder was just a standard resolution input/output. I thought buying this would transition me into the HD world. I can still link directly from the DirectTV receiver to the TV. But right now, if I try to watch and record anything in HD via the recorder, I get the message from the DirectTV receiver than my cables are not HD and to switch my TV to standard definition. Gosh, maybe I really didn't need to get this unit after all! Even at a used price, it wasn't cheap! Thanks for your helpful input anyway!
post #4387 of 4408 Unread 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loydancer View Post
But why do they claim it can record in HD onto its HDD if it can't do it?
looking at the specs there is nothing that claims HD on it
Even the tuner says "SD output only"

Quote:
And why would you have an HDMI output to TV if there is no HDMI signal within the recorder unit to actually output to the TV?
because it upconverts the DVD to 1080i/720p depending on the TV. Plus one cable equals simple hookups

Quote:
But right now, if I try to watch and record anything in HD via the recorder, I get the message from the DirectTV receiver than my cables are not HD and to switch my TV to standard definition.
correct. Thats what I mentioned earlier. Directv made that change a couple years ago where anything on the SD outputs required you to change the receiver to only output 480i instead of 720p/1080i
post #4388 of 4408 Unread 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the quick note leaflet and the manual. As you see in the leaflet it doesnt say HD

http://www.funaiport.com/upload/MAGN...MDR513H_LE.PDF
http://www.funaiport.com/upload/MAGN...513H_EN_OM.pdf
post #4389 of 4408 Unread 04-12-2016, 08:41 AM

I guess you are correct! It's been a while since I've played with these things (years). I ordered this off Amazon. When it touted that it had a digital ATSC tuner and talked about recording that signal to its HDD, I just "assumed" that meant HD recording to its HDD. I knew you couldn't record to a DVD in HD due to the very nature of the DVD. Next time I'll look a little closer! Still, it's nice for the editing-out of commercials, etc. I may not always keep DirecTV and want the more desirable recordings to be of a permanent nature on DVD. Heck, I'd even pay to record to Blu-ray, if there was such a thing! I have a huge video library that I keep adding to. Well, maybe someday if I go with an OTA antenna, perhaps it would pick the signal up in HD then? Or not? I don't mean HDMI, just HD. Thanks for all your valuable advice and assistance!
post #4390 of 4408 Unread 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM

I'm very happy with my pair of Magnavox H2160MW9 DVR's. Have not had any major problems with them, have recorded hundreds of DVD's with the first unit, which impressed me enough to buy a second one. The clock runs a little fast in the second one, gains a couple minutes per month and have to reset it once a month. Same situation as loydancer, can't record HD via external source, but it has HDMI out and will output 480P to the TV. Also has HD tuner and will record HD, I think up to 480P if you use high speed HQ setting, the next step down, SP, still looks pretty darn close to HD quality, as I recently recorded The Ten Commandments movie from ABC at SP speed, it looks great! At SP you can put 2 hours on one DVD+ disc, at HQ speed, just one hour, but it looks real sharp. If you record standard 480i programming, you might as well use LP speed which lets you put 3 hours on one disc.

I love the editing features that allow you to remove commercials, change chapter marks, divide a long recording (like ten commandments) into smaller blocks via title divide feature. The high speed dub works great, but if you record 2 different titles that were recorded at different speeds, and want to put them both on same disc, the high speed dub does not work so well, but otherwise flawless so long as you remember not to go over 4K, even if it says disc takes 4200, never go over 3990 or it may not format correctly and will ruin disc. Also the high speed dub is not all that fast, still takes around 15 minutes to burn disc.

I like the unique feature of the H2160Mw9, how it begins recording whatever channel it's set on, or changed to, for up to 6 hours, just by powering on the unit. This is very convenient for programs like the evening news or stuff you won't save (but can save from the recording block by hitting record to make a permanent recording to HD before it drops off), all you need to do is put it on the right channel and come back within 6 hours to watch, no need to hit record or make timer recording for these low priority programs, or delete the recording after watching, just powering off the unit erases the recording block if you did not save it by hitting record button.

My first DVR was a panasonic DMR EZ27, it was a buggy POS that froze up all the time and lasted less than 2 years, don't buy one of those. My first Mag-2160 has lasted 6 years now with no problems, the second one about 2 years thus far.

Last edited by mofford; 04-18-2016 at 07:21 PM.
post #4391 of 4408 Unread 04-19-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I have an old Philips 3575 and a Maggie 2106 (?) sitting in my basement. I retired them in favor of the TiVo I got last fall.

They served me so well over the years. I will eventually hook them back up, and maybe utilize the DVD-R features of them.
post #4392 of 4408 Unread 04-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I will eventually hook them back up, and maybe utilize the DVD-R features of them.
You don't need to if you have a TiVo. Just download cTivo (or PC equivalent) and you can pull shows off your TiVo to your computer, convert them, burn them to DVD or blu-ray, whatever you want.

I've done this with all the animated holiday specials and a few key ISU basketball victories over Kansas.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #4393 of 4408 Unread 04-20-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
You don't need to if you have a TiVo. Just download cTivo (or PC equivalent) and you can pull shows off your TiVo to your computer, convert them, burn them to DVD or blu-ray, whatever you want.

I've done this with all the animated holiday specials and a few key ISU basketball victories over Kansas.
I was trying to feel better about these two fine machines sitting in my basement collecting dust.

thrillcat likes this.
post #4394 of 4408 Unread 04-21-2016, 10:16 PM

Looks like we're finally starting to see some collaboration between WOI and KCWI. Have noticed some changes in the morning show on 23, they dumped Jason Parkins as main host/weather guy and dropped the name "Great Day". Now they are using weather guys from WOI, Sam Schreier and Brad Edwards. The format for the new morning show looks very similar to the old one, really enjoy some of the musical guests they have on, they had a dude singing "The Corn Song" the other morning, quality entertainment at times, but will miss Jason Parkins, he was kind of funny sometimes, and the loopy blond girl is still there, she's OK.

Perhaps these 2 stations can help each other out, we shall see. Sam is an OK weather guy, he's no Ed Wilson but a likable nerdball not too far off the Jason Parkins image. I think it will work out OK. They need to bring back the Beatles birthday song and pictures of celebrity for happy B' day segment, instead of just using script...why did they change that part, it sucks now.

Last edited by mofford; 04-21-2016 at 10:23 PM.
post #4395 of 4408 Unread 05-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Whodt3_13.3

I record Johnny Carson on WHODT3_ and the files have got smaller and they are chopping off the top of the picture
Joe
post #4396 of 4408 Unread 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobedo View Post
I record Johnny Carson on WHODT3_ and the files have got smaller and they are chopping off the top of the picture
Joe
What do you mean "files are smaller"? Last night's show appeared to have a proper aspect ratio. The show on the 27th looked OK as well. Double-check your TV/DVR settings and make sure you haven't accidentally zoomed in the picture.
post #4397 of 4408 Unread 08-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Exclamation

This TV is back! Now on 13.4. Didn't know this; my sister told me.

And now we have three more channels on top of This.

Laff on 5.2
Escape on 23.2
and Bounce on 23.3

"This is my ancestor, Philo Farnsworth, inventor of television ... and, as a bonus, childhood obesity."--Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth on the Futurama episode "All the Presidents' Heads."

Last edited by tanglecord; 08-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
post #4398 of 4408 Unread 08-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Yes tangelcord, nice to have This TV back again, been checking out the Escape channel today, great movies. Looks like we will have lots of good movies to watch this winter. Noticed the Laff channel has Night Court, might be watching some of those again. I like the Star Trek rollout they did on H&I this month, checking out DS9 & Voyager, when I get done with Odo and Quark, gonna have to check out the Vulcan woman on Enterprise (too bad it only lasted 2 seasons).

Noticed this summer the downtown repeater for WOI, 50.1, has been much weaker than it was before, I can barely get it now, but WOI main 5.1 is coming in OK. My sister lives downtown and has tall buildings to her north that block WOI main, so she depends on 50.1, hope they keep it up and running for her.
post #4399 of 4408 Unread 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Newton, IA OTA

First off, here's the link to my TV Fool info:

http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrappe...e2cb74ae83a11a

I currently have a Mohu Sky 60 mounted on the roof (ranch home, antenna is ~15-17ft in the air), and I've got it pointed really close to the more popular ~286 degrees (most of our signals seem to come off of what we call the Alleman Towers north of Des Moines).

The first day I installed the antenna, all was well. I've only used channels 5,8,13, and 17 for testing and all of those came in. 8, 13 & 17 were measuring around 72 on my Tivo Roamia OTA only DVR (I've bypassed this and gone right to my TV as well, similar results). Channel 5 was the exception, always is around here as it's evidently a significantly weaker station, but even it was tuning in at lease (around 56-58 I believe). So, I mounted the antenna, and figured all was well.

Fast forward 48hrs, and without touching anything (and ensuring my antenna hadn't moved), I'm now down to ~32 on channel 5, which is unusable. Channel 17 still comes in around 72, 13 is around 63-65, and channel 8 is around 52 (works sometimes, usually to broken up).

They sent me a second antenna and amplifier, and it's still the same. While I was swapping out the antenna I was pointing this thing any direction you can think of, and it never made more than a 1-2 point difference on the signal strength, so I'm guessing this antenna just isn't going to cut it.

Any input on a better antenna? I tried diving into the UHF/VHF discussions and educating myself a little better, but it looks like I simply need one that handles both. Channel 5 is a popularly bad signal here in Iowa, I've learned that in my internet travels (which makes you wonder why they wouldn't upgrade hardware), curios if there's anyone near this area that's had any better luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DrDon; 09-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.
post #4400 of 4408 Unread 09-28-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would look at either the RCA ANT751 or Clearstream 2V.

What does your set up look like beyond the antenna? Any splitters? How much coax is between the antenna and TV? Is the coax in good shape (hopefully it's RG6).

WOI is likely to be very problematic with your current antenna because it broadcasts on real channel 5 which is low VHF, but the signal strength at your location looks relatively strong and both the RCA and Clearstream antenna have VHF elements. The RCA is probably better at VHF but I think either would work better for you.

Career - Grad Student - Powerlifter
post #4401 of 4408 Unread 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingrocker17 View Post
I would look at either the RCA ANT751 or Clearstream 2V.

What does your set up look like beyond the antenna? Any splitters? How much coax is between the antenna and TV? Is the coax in good shape (hopefully it's RG6).

WOI is likely to be very problematic with your current antenna because it broadcasts on real channel 5 which is low VHF, but the signal strength at your location looks relatively strong and both the RCA and Clearstream antenna have VHF elements. The RCA is probably better at VHF but I think either would work better for you.
I pulled a brand new RG6 connection for the install. It's ~75ft long I'd say all in all. There's no barrels, just a straight shot from the antenna right into the amplifier that came with the antenna, then to the TV. I've tested with and without the amplifier, the difference is negligible. I'm only feeding one TV so no splitters of any kind either.

I've been looking at the 2V and 4V both actually. I'm going to go snag one this afternoon and give them a shot, they're one of the few I have available locally here. Appreciate the input, I'll report back.
post #4402 of 4408 Unread 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You have 4 stations on VHF (5,8,11,13). I dont think the Mohu does VHF well. You need an antenna that does both VHF & UHF.
I would go with the RCA myself.
post #4403 of 4408 Unread 09-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
threads merged

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4404 of 4408 Unread 09-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
UPDATE: Updraft has PM'd me to tell me he has taken great offense to my above two-word comment and won't be returning to AVS. So, it's up to you if you wish to continue to post helpful advice.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go scratch my head over this one.
Trip in VA and thrillcat like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4405 of 4408 Unread 10-14-2016, 07:38 PM

Where's KEFB?

It's not on RabbitEars' list for Des Moines, and when I enter it in the search box, it pulls up a "Facility Maintenance" page.
http://www.rabbitears.info/facility_maint.php?pk=82619

The FCC's TV Query says it's still licensed, but this page states it had a license to cover that was canceled:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...ion_id=1323787

Is this station actually on the air, or not?

post #4406 of 4408 Unread 10-15-2016, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KEFB's license was submitted for cancellation a few weeks ago.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...579594b1c80c1d

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4407 of 4408 Unread 10-15-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KEFB's license was submitted for cancellation a few weeks ago.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...579594b1c80c1d

- Trip
Any reasons?

post #4408 of 4408 Unread 10-16-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Whatever's in the letter is what's known.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception