Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 4289 Old 06-17-2002, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pat,

Sorry to hear that about Cedar Rapids. Here in Des Moines KCCI will be up and running July 1st (according to www.titantv.com)!!!!!!!!

Jtuck2, same here, I would love Discovery in HD also!!! I thought people from knoxville just liked car racing (joke).

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4289 Old 06-18-2002, 06:25 AM

Yeah Mark, those races are big business. I personally have little interest. But don't rock the boat if you are riding in it I guess.

What are you seeing for signal strengths on WHO and KDSM? I see my meters max out on both, but I wonder if they are broadcasting at higher power than will be normal as they get more familiar with this format. Otherwise the Sony has some sort of issue, which would not be out of the realm of possibility.

As a side note, I sent an e-mail to DirecTV urging them to pick up Discovery HD. I would urge anyone locally who is interested to let them know that there is interest. I also expressed interest in local stations, but I assume we are a low priority market for them. Maybe if the merger goes through?

Enjoy the show...

Justin
post #33 of 4289 Old 06-18-2002, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Justin,

I have the Mits ws65909 with an integrated tuner (no signal meter), I have yet to put up my dish and add my dtc-100.

Good idea on the e-mail for Discovery. If Dish buys Directv, look for locals (non HD) on dish within a year. And more HD!!!

Mark
post #34 of 4289 Old 06-18-2002, 03:50 PM

Mark,
I hope you are right about KCCI...
Titantv has KGAN listed as July 15, but after emaling KGAN directly...titantv is totally wrong

You might want to contact KCCI and get an answer directly from the source.

If my antenna wasn't in the attic, I might try to pick up KIMT (CBS) in Mason City.
post #35 of 4289 Old 06-18-2002, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Pat,

www.kcci.com has sometime in July on their website. I am more frustrated that dish now has HD discovery channel and directv doesn't.

If any of you have a current directv account, CALL DIRECTV, DON'T E-MAIL, I have read that this is more effective (takes 5 minutes)!!!

That is surprizing about titantv being wrong, THEY are based in Cedar Rapids!!!

Is anybody trying to add some sorta big antenna/rotar to try to pick up HD from other IA markets? I wonder if it is possible?

Mark
post #36 of 4289 Old 06-19-2002, 05:31 AM

Mark

I called DirecTV too as you recommended regarding Discovery HD.

I have not tried any other antenna location or setup. I live very close to Lake Red Rock in very heavy timber. I had convinced myself that it will be nearly impossible to get any other signal out of the Des Moines market. I have some real doubts about WOI when they finally get that ball rolling. My current antenna is in the attic of my garage (an off the shelf standard RCA VHF/UHF/FM model, albeit sized a little larger than required) and my reception of our two available signals is great.

One oddity on my Sony tuner is that it will auto scan for digital signals. On two occasions, it has picked up something it thinks is digital. It displays at 98.00. When I try to tune it I get the dreaded "Searching for digital signal" so it may be some weird sideband, but I am obviously not an electronic genius, so I am not sure what it thinks it is seeing. Could this be an out of market signal that is too weak to be tuned?
post #37 of 4289 Old 06-19-2002, 09:26 AM

Hey all centrall Iowans,
I am currently a little disappointed with the signal I get from WHO-DT and KDSM-DT. I live about 30-40 miles away from the transmitters and I cannot get a steady signal. Of course I believe it is my antenna and my location, I have the radio shack vbu190 and there are a lot of trees in my area. I did order a channel master 4228 and should have it tomorrow. If this doesn't work, I don't think anything else will.
Here are the stats for the channels I can get:
WHO-DT= 0-85
KDSM-DT= 0-70

For the most part WHO-DT is at least watchable when all of the conditions are right, KDSM-DT is bad, the signal fluctuates between 0 and 70 all of the time.

Well, I will report tomorrow and let you know how the 4228 does here.

Bill
post #38 of 4289 Old 06-19-2002, 11:34 AM

Bill

I am little more than 30-40 miles away (between Knoxville and Pella on Lake Red Rock) and my signal is peaked (99) on both WHO and KDSM. I very nearly went ahead and bought the Terk T55 (I think that was the model, whatever Terk's HD antenna is from Best Buy) when I got the Sony HD receiver. I am glad I didn't, because at least for now it would appear to have been a waste. My antenna is the largest RCA standard model Home Depot sold. I got VERY, VERY lucky with positioning it. It is in the attic of my garage hung from bungee cords and couldn't be turned without major structural mods on the garage roof. I had this antenna in place before the HD bug hit me, or I probably would have a HD model too.

You might want to check if your current antenna's UHF array is actually hooked up and you aren't losing the signal through a splitter or Ohm converter where you transition from the antenna to cable. If you are receiving standard def UHF stations (non DT KDSM, Pax, WB) then this is a dead end, but if their signals are giving you poor reception too then it might save you hanging a new antenna. A lot of the cheaper splitters, Ohm converters, etc. will pass VHF great but end up losing the UHF side.

Just a suggestion, please don't take offense if I have suggested the obvious. Good luck.

Justin
post #39 of 4289 Old 06-19-2002, 11:46 AM

Mark, you mentioned in an earlier post about recording Jay Leno. What equipment do you have for this? Also did you get it locally or internet or what? What price range are we talking about?

I have been scared to buy recording equip. until they figure out the whole copy protection mess. I really wish Tivo would put out a HD recorder and solve my recording problems. I rarely record anything long term, just long enough to watch it and then rerecord over it. My current Tivo won't even control my HD Sony receiver correctly enough to record standard def programming, so my wife gets to enjoy the Tivo on her TV.

Justin
post #40 of 4289 Old 06-19-2002, 02:30 PM

Hi Justin,

It is funny, my reception for analog UHF stations are fine when the antenna is positionend correctly, and VHF doesn't have a problem. I hope that this antenna will get me locked in with the digital stations because at times it is like watching a pixelated slide show with a ton of dropouts .

Bill
post #41 of 4289 Old 06-19-2002, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

jtuck2,

I earned a Mits Hd-HSU2000u from Mits, I am a salesperson at a local electronics store. I have read somewhere on this website that someone out west is selling them for under $500. That's a great deal.

The downfall of the Mits is it wont play JVC's D-theater tapes that are just being released.

At first I was recording everything in HD, now I only record Jay if he has any wildlife on the show.

You might want to look into the JVC model.

Mark
post #42 of 4289 Old 06-20-2002, 06:21 PM

Well, I got the Channel Master 4228 today and hooked it below my other antenna. I get a stable signal at around 90 with WHO-DT and at around 80 for KDSM-DT. Now if I can only find a better spot (ie no trees) for my 65 degree dish so I can enjoy some of the discovery HD!

Mark, which store do you work for?

Bill
post #43 of 4289 Old 06-20-2002, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Bill,

I work at American. I just got a reply back from my e-mail to kcci, the person I e-mailed didn't know the exact date. He just said sometime in July, so keep your eyes open.

Mark
post #44 of 4289 Old 06-21-2002, 05:49 AM

Mark, do you guys not sell the JVC D-theater machines?

Also, what do you hear from a sales side about some sort of Firewire or other connection to enable copy protection? I am very nervous to invest more into a setup that the manufacturers aren't going to maintain backwards compatability for. I already have too much in the system now according to the wife, but I guess we have all heard that.

Also, does KDIN (PBS) ever turn their DT antenna on? I saw their demo at the State Fair, but I was under the impression that they weren't broadcasting yet. Titan TV's site shows them on the air on Channel 50.

Justin
post #45 of 4289 Old 06-21-2002, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Justin,

No, pbs only broadcasts their hd signal during the state fair, they say they don't have the funds to go full hd yet.

Thanks to Pat M's suggestion, I called KCCI and found out from their main engineer, steve houg, KCCI digital channel 31 may take up to sept 1st, before they start broadcasting. They have to do a modification to the tower in Alleman and their work is affected by the wind, TALL TOWERS!!!

So, pray for calm weather and he said we could see the signal start in July so no comfirmed date.

He did say they will carry all the HD that CBS dishes out in primetime, but they will not broadcast the HD daytime show, Young and the restless. Not that I care about soap operas, just an FYI.

Now I wonder where titantv.com gets their info?

As far as DVHS

American doesn't carry any JVC DVHS.

DVHS, IMHO will be dead in 5-7 years and we will have recordable DVD, hopefully sooner!!!

It is fun to record HD at first you want to record everything, I enjoy the HD coors comercials and I show them to friends. Then after about a couple of weeks I find, I am getting more picky, recording mainly wildlife on Jay or if he has some bigtime actor on.

My best advise is get a RCA DTC-100 and add rabbit ears and enjoy Jay!!!

Mark
post #46 of 4289 Old 06-22-2002, 11:05 AM

Mark,
Glad you got ahold of someone at KCCI.
Can't get much better info than straight from the main engineer
post #47 of 4289 Old 06-27-2002, 08:58 PM

Has anyone noticed that KDSM's digital signal is weaker? I get about 48-49% signal strength now. Or it could be me...
post #48 of 4289 Old 06-27-2002, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Bill,

KDSM sucks!!!!!!!!!! They are upconverting their analog signal to 480i.

According to WHO, they have a temp tower.

PRAYING FOR RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
post #49 of 4289 Old 06-28-2002, 05:11 AM

Has anyone ever seen anything but 480i programming on KDSM? I have not.

I was actually amazed when I found their digital signal the first time, I assumed they would be among the PAX and WB late bloomers, considering the typical quality of their non FOX programming.

I have not checked signal strength lately, but will now that Bill noticed it.

I kind of wondered if KDSM and WHO wouldn't start turning the power down a little and see who complained. It would probably be worth an e-mail to let them know that we noticed.

Has anyone actually lost signal because of the decreased strength?

Justin

I'm with Mark, praying for rain.
post #50 of 4289 Old 06-28-2002, 07:16 PM

Well, for awhile today when I tried to tune to digital 17, it would transfer me to analog 17. I prefer the digital 17 over analog 17 because it is a cleaner picture for me. All programming I have seen on digital 17 has been 480i but it is still better than the anaolg version I get.

It now looks like my dish 6000 can no longer see d17 but 16-01, and I get about 67% with it. The result: all picture and no sound.

Digital 13 has been fluctuating on me a bit now, it will jump from 86 to 75 and back every so often.

I really hope these station don't decrease their power, because if I am having this much trouble getting a decent signal from Des Moines, think of those people in Ottumwa and Oskaloosa are going to have even more trouble...
post #51 of 4289 Old 07-01-2002, 05:15 AM

Bill,

Checked signal strengths this weekend.

WHO 97%, it previously had been peaked at 100.

KDSM 78%, it also had been peaked at 100.

I have not noticed any detrimental pq because of the lower signals, but rarely have KDSM on. It too is superior to my analog 17, but honestly there is nothing on FOX that I watch. Even my football is on the Sunday Ticket, so it is a worthless channel.
post #52 of 4289 Old 07-01-2002, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

O.K.

Not to nag, but once again Jay went SD about 15 minutes into the show, I called and they turned the HD back on.

It was good to find out that someone was there at 11:06!!!

Please, if you guys are staying up late to watch Jay. Call and complain. 282-1313.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Mark
post #53 of 4289 Old 07-03-2002, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

I emailed titantv.com and told them what I knew, they said they would contact KCCI in a return e-mail.

As of today, titantv.com has KCCI listed to go up on July 19th!!!

Cool

Mark
post #54 of 4289 Old 07-03-2002, 12:11 PM

Mark,

Can't wait for KCCI. Keep me informed if you hear anything more. Thanks for taking the tiger by the tail.

Justin
post #55 of 4289 Old 07-03-2002, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Darn theese holidays (joke),

Nobody is in at KCCI that can verify that date. I will try again Monday.

Have a fun and safe 4th of July!!!

Mark
post #56 of 4289 Old 07-03-2002, 12:31 PM

I also can't wait for KCCI, then I can get rid of the CBS channel on my dish programming.

About KDSM, I get a picture now at about 67-70, but no sound. I have given up and I will just watch analog 17. (Simpsons, King of the Hill)
post #57 of 4289 Old 07-04-2002, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Bill,

Your signal is fine. I tried KDSM tonight and I have the same situation.

I called kDSM 287-1717 and left a message with their news crew on their machine. I never watch this channel, but I hope this helps you out.

All forthed out, so I decided to stay home and watch HD jay and found out we wont have any Dtv tonight, all engineers are off at WHO, funny!!!

Also, everyone if you would call KDSM, we need to keep the stations honest!!!

Thanks

Mark
post #58 of 4289 Old 07-07-2002, 08:53 AM

Mark and Bill,

I called KDSM too, I have the same problem. Picture (spotty) with no sound. Has anyone seen a good signal since Bill noticed this problem?

Thanks,

Justin
post #59 of 4289 Old 07-08-2002, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I would like to start out by saying I am sorry for spreading false info on KCCI going to DTV on July 19th.

I spoke with Steve on monday and he said, "I'm the one turning on the signal and it probably wont be until Sept 1st".

The people that work on the tower have to work on it early in the morning (4:00-10:00), after that, it is too windy (anthing above 20mpr). We have to remember that this tower is 1800 feet tall!!!

So, sorry about the titantv thing, I will rely on Steve only!!!

On a side note, I am getting our 65" Mits callibrated this week by Dave Levy, and will let you know my thoughts!!!!!!!!

Have Fun!!!

Mark
post #60 of 4289 Old 07-09-2002, 02:49 PM

Mark, too bad on the KCCI deal
At least you'll still be up and running before Cedar Rapids (KGAN)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page