Des Moines, IA - HDTV - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1351 of 4289 Old 01-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, I work there. Mainly at night though (Fri-Sun 4.45 to 4am). I'm more of a program and commercial tape person.

I was also wondering how syndicated programming would be delivered. So now we both know. As it turned out, the SD version was delivered via satellite while the HD was delivered Fedex on a DVCProHD tape. I'm sure there are syndications that can be sent out via satellite, but at this time, the 2 HD receivers that we have are dedicated to CBS-HD.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 4289 Old 01-21-2005, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Good luck synching up the two versions of The Remarkable Journey.

I understand Viacom's Paramount division has an HD movie package out, but there are plenty of issues to be worked out before HD syndication becomes widespread. Lack of dishes is one. Lack of HD-capable record decks/servers is another.

Then there's receivers -- will there be a standard, or will stations have to get one "proprietary" receiver for each syndicator? Will there be separate feeds for SD and HD, or will they just be zoomed and cropped differently?

Finally, since syndication is usually available to affiliates of ANY network, the stations' HD formats become an issue. For example, The Practice airs on a 720p ABC affiliate in Cedar Rapids, but in Des Moines, a 1080i NBC station runs it.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #1353 of 4289 Old 01-21-2005, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Wish WHO had the capability, I want to see Enterprise in HD.
post #1354 of 4289 Old 01-26-2005, 07:14 AM
cad

Did anyone else loose FOXHD last night? Turned on American Idol and got nothing. Had to watch it in regular screen.......what a bad deal
post #1355 of 4289 Old 01-29-2005, 06:38 AM

About the new 6412 dual tuner hd dvr...
I was told, when I got two a week ago, that the dual tuners would or should be active on 2/1/5. I really doubt that, knowing how they will tell you anything, then the delays begin. People getting the 6412 from mediacom, did you notice the remote isnt even the right remote? It works, but its the remote for the older dvr's. One key button missing is the "swap" button, to toggle between tuner-one and tuner-two. I'd guess, when the software is ready, they will tell you to swap remotes, if you want to use the new software features. Or, guess you could get some kinda 3rd party remote too on your own???
The 6412 DOES hold a lot more recording time. Mine's stuffed right now, and it just says 28% full. The old 6208 would have never held this many recordings without a 95% full.
post #1356 of 4289 Old 01-29-2005, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

i got the right remote. And i doubt 2/1 as well.
post #1357 of 4289 Old 01-29-2005, 11:52 AM

Liked: 14
Well SnakeEyes no clue of WHO is watching this or what but I just noticed this on TitanTv.com...

12:00am
Star Trek: Enterprise
Babel One
(HD, New)

This is scheduled to air tonight, let us know if it was really in HD or if titantv is wrong so far I havent caught titantv wrong yet....
post #1358 of 4289 Old 01-29-2005, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I record Enterprise on the digital channel, now that they don't cut transmission in the middle, on the PVR. I'll let you know.
post #1359 of 4289 Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

not HD
post #1360 of 4289 Old 01-30-2005, 06:46 AM

I think I posted this back a page or so, but they either turn off the HD equipment at midnight, or something of the nature. I don't know if that is a local tape that is sent or if it is a network feed. That would make a difference too.

Excess Energy in everything
XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #1361 of 4289 Old 01-30-2005, 05:22 PM

Any having problems with Fox and PBS this weekend? I am not getting anything on Fox this evening so no Simpsons....also I have image on PBS but no sound...
post #1362 of 4289 Old 01-31-2005, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Any having problems with Fox and PBS this weekend? I am not getting anything on Fox this evening so no Simpsons....also I have image on PBS but no sound...

Last night (1/30), I did notice that PBS had problems with their audio. Mine was consistently breaking up and un-audible. That was between 7:30 and 8pm.
post #1363 of 4289 Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 AM

Fox returned for me this morning, PBS now has funny audio....you would think once its set no touchy heh
post #1364 of 4289 Old 02-01-2005, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Could be something with the network. IPTV's Waterloo transmitter was also having sound problems this weekend -- every time I turned to the station, it was silent. However, when I pressed the MTS button on my Samsung T351 box, the sound came back.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #1365 of 4289 Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Ok I am starting to get nervous....Fox has been cutting in and out audio wise all week, I thought maybe it was cause of the clouds and fog, but today is a clear day and still problems. My signal strength is 86 with my Voom box....just wanting to see if anyone else is having problems. I need to get this fixed by Superbowl...oh and Fox signal was like 93/94 last week.
post #1366 of 4289 Old 02-03-2005, 06:42 PM

Perhaps for kc0bsn,

What is the status of the audio segment of the HD signal from KCCI? My OTA receiver is sending the digital audio as 2.0 DD, where other CBS stations (twin cities is my reference) are being broadcast in 5.1. I don't know if it is my receiver, or KCCI's signal, as nobody else has responded to this question before. If KCCI is passing the signal straight through, wouldn't the audio portion be passed through as well? Guess I just want to know if I am receiving what I should, or if I may have an equipment problem

TIA

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #1367 of 4289 Old 02-03-2005, 06:54 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarcoptic
..PBS now has funny audio....you would think once its set no touchy heh

They have a video server that likes to hiccup and mess up the audio. All of this is "temporary" until they build out the new master control that can handle HD. Being a State government agency I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening anytime soon, but one can always hope.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #1368 of 4289 Old 02-03-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xsnrg
What is the status of the audio segment of the HD signal from KCCI? My OTA receiver is sending the digital audio as 2.0 DD, where other CBS stations (twin cities is my reference) are being broadcast in 5.1. I don't know if it is my receiver, or KCCI's signal, as nobody else has responded to this question before. If KCCI is passing the signal straight through, wouldn't the audio portion be passed through as well? Guess I just want to know if I am receiving what I should, or if I may have an equipment problem

You're getting what you should be getting (or at least, the best you can get). I know a few weeks ago I heard that the 5.1 encoder was either on its way, or being ordered. I have no idea how long that it will be until it arrives and is installed, though.

They may wait until the rebuild of master control is done before putting it online too. I believe master and the commercial playback system are supposed to be done before the end of the summer. It may be sooner than that (and for the sake of the commercial playback machine, I hope so), but like uhf, I don't like holding my breath either.

BTW, just for grins I tried punching in 59 tonight and was actually able to get a signal. It's not drop-out free, but at least some signal is better than no signal.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #1369 of 4289 Old 02-03-2005, 08:18 PM

That makes sense then. Everything else seemed to work, so I didn't think it was on my end. Thanks for the update, and keep us informed on the install of the encoder, if you don't mind.

I'm one of the (5?) lucky ones. I am getting 5-1 (now 59-1 after the Feb 1st FCC enactment) at a decent level (78%). I did put in a nice antenae outside under the deck too though. Still no word on when they will be HD capable, or when they will have a final channel allocation from the FCC. Anyone heard anything recently?

Also heard that WHO was in the process of purchasing HD cameras. Be interesting to see who does the local news shows in HD first

Any other rumors out there folks?

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #1370 of 4289 Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 PM

I actually think WHO already has the new studio cameras... I think they arrived and were installed sometime in November(?).

As for being the first to broadcast a newscast, while it's still a few years away, both stations have studio control switchers that are HD compatible... and with the new master area coming for KCCI, that area will be HD capable too.

post #1371 of 4289 Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 PM

Anybody else getting crappy audio for the Super Bowl? It keeps breaking up... very annoying. I've been watching my HD receiver and listing to my SD receiver. Not bad since you can't see Joe Buck & company, but the commercials are all out of sync. Just curious if it's me or if others are experiencing this.

Also, why no outcry on this forum about no HD Super Bowl on Mediacom. I thought we'd here a lot of anger on this forum!

Andy TeBockhorst
"flysupes"
post #1372 of 4289 Old 02-06-2005, 07:15 PM

Only had one slight breakup that I remember on the Fox HD audio. It's been a quite decent show by Fox (KDSM) for us here at least. It actually seems like Fox may have stepped up the bitrate or something? One of the better pictures I remember from them.

As for mediacom... can't stand them anyway. Glad Fox didn't buckle. Sorry to our friends with Mediacom... Game just ended on an interception.

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #1373 of 4289 Old 02-07-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Only had one slight breakup that I remember on the Fox HD audio. It's been a quite decent show by Fox (KDSM) for us here at least. It actually seems like Fox may have stepped up the bitrate or something? One of the better pictures I remember from them.

As for mediacom... can't stand them anyway. Glad Fox didn't buckle. Sorry to our friends with Mediacom... Game just ended on an interception.

OTA HD from Fox was fantastic in central Iowa, at least at my location. The audio was one of the better mixes for DD 5.1 that I have heard. Several at our party remarked at how well mixed the game was. The pix quality was perfectly acceptable and I didn't notice any sync problems with audio/video. (Samsung 360 receiver about 30 miles from the Alleman tower complex.

Overall, I was very pleased ...ohhh...yeah...mediacom...you have my sympathy. Cable ...enough said.

...hasan, N0AN
post #1374 of 4289 Old 02-09-2005, 06:37 PM

Did anyone notice problems with 'West Wing' tonight? The HD version spent the first 10 minutes with full HD picture and just the background music (no sound effects or voices). Then it went out of HD and into a letter boxed version without 5.1 sound but the sound returned to normal. Strange.

Dave
post #1375 of 4289 Old 02-09-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dsm363
Did anyone notice problems with 'West Wing' tonight? The HD version spent the first 10 minutes with full HD picture and just the background music (no sound effects of voices). Then it went out of HD and into a letter boxed version without 5.1 sound but the sound returned to normal. Strange.

Dave

It was NBC's problem. We (at KWWL-DT) called them immediately about the problems with their HD feed. A few minutes later, they alerted all stations that they were aware of the problem, and were working to fix it. We stayed with the upconverted SD feed, hoping they would fix it before the end of the program. (They didn't)
[Jerry]
post #1376 of 4289 Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Thursday, Feb. 10 was the deadline for stations to choose what channel they will keep after analog ends.

Not surprisingly, the high VHF stations in Des Moines plan to go back to high VHF. Somewhat more surprisingly, WOI apparently will not go to the second round in search of a better channel than 5, and will return there when analog TV goes away. Moral of the story: don't toss that VHF antenna just yet.

And unfortunately, don't expect WB digital until analog shutdown.

Here's the full list for Des Moines - Ames, based on information on the FCC website:

Stations staying on their current digital channels:
KDSM (16)

Stations going back to their former analog channels:
KCCI (8), KDIN (11), WHO (13), WOI (5)

Stations without a companion DT channel which may have to flash-cut to DT:
KPWB (23)

Stations without a companion DT channel negotiating for a new allotment:
KFPX (29) (If denied, their alternate is their current analog 39, which would require a flash-cut)

For those of you who "straddle the line" between central and eastern Iowa, click below for a similar list of Cedar Rapids-Waterloo stations:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...87#post5158487

post #1377 of 4289 Old 02-13-2005, 02:37 PM

With this having reached at least some form of stability, it begs the question again, what will happen with WOI? And will we ever get HD from ABC in central Iowa? One would think the market is large enough for some money to be spent. Of course maybe it still isn't there to spend.

XSNRG Rec/Theater Build
post #1378 of 4289 Old 02-15-2005, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With this having reached at least some form of stability, it begs the question again, what will happen with WOI? And will we ever get HD from ABC in central Iowa? One would think the market is large enough for some money to be spent. Of course maybe it still isn't there to spend.

IIRC, even though 59 isn't permanent, it still doesn't excuse them from having to go full power by this summer. Their latest Special Temporary Authorization (STA) expires June 15, and since they're a top-four network affiliate in a top-100 market, the July "use it or lose it" deadline applies to them.

HD isn't mandated by this deadline, of course. But their sister station in the Quad Cities is said to be going HD and most of that red-ball station group's Web sites are starting to mention HD, so we can only hope.

post #1379 of 4289 Old 02-19-2005, 08:51 AM

Does anyone know if 17.1 DT is off the air? I am getting zero signal
post #1380 of 4289 Old 02-19-2005, 10:40 AM

same here no signal