1Likes

post #181 of 4290 Old 10-10-2002, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Andrew,

Sorry for the late response. Mediacom internet went down

Yes, I loved the broadcasts, I even taped the episode of the bears in the wild (not the title), very educational and beautiful picture!!!

I just wish we could have IPTV full time in HD!!! I would prefer their HD content over the other 3 stations any day of the week. Now when WOI gets going and we get the Superbowl in HD, that's a different story

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4290 Old 10-11-2002, 07:36 AM
rsg

Greetings,

I have been reading this forum and especially this thread related to Des Moines for a couple of months now. I registered yesterday.

Is it me or is it Mediacomm. Ever since they started their upgrade to Digital in West Des Moines area, I have seen a degradation of their "basic" cable service.

Though not a fan of the Cable, I am using Mediacomm to get high speed internet access.

I recently bought a Sony 34KBR800 HD ready TV and all I can see is too much grains. On some of the channels I can see "snow" effect. I am yet to pick up a Set top box to receive the "HD" broadcast. I am waiting for all the new models to be out so that I can shop around for a better price.

Nevertheless I am appalled at the quality of reception from the cable source. I do have rabbit ears and I can get a better quality with that. In fact I used that for a football game a couple of weeks ago over cable. It is a shame on Mediacomm for providing such a service. Or is it a ploy to force users to upgrade to "digital" service ?

Any thoughts on what might be the reason ?

Did anyone check out the IPTV show on Valley west mall on 5th and 6th this past week. I saw them on 5th at the mall. They connected a HDTV and received the programs from their station. They also had an analog TV to show the difference between HD and SD.

rsg.
post #183 of 4290 Old 10-11-2002, 12:20 PM

Rsg,
The plan for Mediacom is to get the analog channels 2-99 looking like poo so that they can tell people to switch to digital cable. The plan is get rid of the analog bandwidth to free up room for the digital. If everyone went to digital cable we would have allot better signal on all of the channels and so HD's too.

I missed the IPTV thing at Valley West Mall but I watched most of the programing. I had to work all weekend, Did the guys at the mall talk about going to best buy to check it out too?

Andrew
post #184 of 4290 Old 10-12-2002, 08:40 AM
rsg

o00kool,

No the guys from IPTV that I spoke with did not mention anything about BB. Infact on Saturday last (Oct 6th ?) they connected the Set top box only around 3 pm whereas they had the reception on the widescreen TV since the morning. Apparently they are running low on STB's I believe.

I thought that it was a good idea to use the display in the mall to generate public awareness. I did see some folks gather around there and be surprised about the picture quality.

rsg.
post #185 of 4290 Old 10-14-2002, 12:49 PM

Hi all,
I live in Grimes. Would i be able to receive the HDTV signal with an ordinary indoor antenna. I am using now to get 5,8,13,11,17, and 23. I get all of them perfectly fine. Thanks.
post #186 of 4290 Old 10-14-2002, 02:10 PM

Might be able to Ron, only way to know for sure is to try. If your current antenna works well for UHF siganls now (17 and 23), I would guess you should be OK for digital. If it doesn't then you will need a booster and/or a new antenna. Neither one of those should break the bank.

Let us know how you fare, nice to have another viewer in central Iowa.

BTW gang, I e-mailed WOI again asking for an update. I asked specifically about the tower situation. I will keep you apprised of the answer.
post #187 of 4290 Old 10-14-2002, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ron,

You will be fine. I live in Grimes also and receive a good signal with my outdoor antenna (Terk TV50 looks like a 2 by 4, 5ft long) indoors on top of my Mits 65" (I just finished roofing and will now look to put this in my attic).

You may have problems with the indoor antenna, when you walk in front of it on the north side, this happens with me (picture stops or pixelates), as I assume my body is creating a multipath problem.

This wont happen once I locate my antenna in the attic, hopefully. I also found that the higher I put the antenna indoors, the less of a problem I had with the signal breaking up.

Do you have a HD tv and/or HD receiver?

Nice to hear from a neighbor!!!

Thanks Jtuck2, let us know what's going on!!!

Mark
post #188 of 4290 Old 10-15-2002, 05:34 AM

Wow!! Another one in Grimes! I thought i was the only one in Grimes that was up on the HDTV and Home Theater stuff. My G/F and I just bought a HDTV for our living room. It is a Samsung 30" Widescreen (model 3097). We didn't go any larger since i will have a projector in the basement HT room after I remodel it. We have not bought a receiver yet though. What are you guys using? Any recommendations? I guess the cheaper the better, but I know these don't come cheap. I went to Best Buy this week-end and didn't see any HDTV receivers there that weren't also DirecTv receivers. I can't wait to get one so i can also enjoy HDTV. I think my G/F is actually starting to get excited about this HDTV and Home Theater stuff. It was actually her idea to get the 30" widescreen HDTV, i am surprised she didn't take me to Wal-mart to get a cheapo-special. BTW, I get perfect reception from 17 and 23 on my current TV and antenna.
post #189 of 4290 Old 10-16-2002, 04:43 AM

Text of my e-mail and the reply from WOI about their digital status. Take it for what it is worth. Have a great week.

Justin,

Thanks for your inquiry.

We are still negotiating with the local tower company to secure space. I
am optimistic that we should have that completed in the next couple of weeks.

I too have been hoping we are on air by Superbowl. We currently have the transmitter, antenna and transmission line. The biggest obstacle once we have a signed agreement, will be getting a tower crew in here to complete the work. As you might imagine, they are in high demand these days and with cold weather approaching, they will be less inclined to tackle this project.

Having said that, I still remain "perhaps overly optimistic" that we can provide you with a digital signal in time for Superbowl. Keep your
fingers crossed for mild weather.

Out of the gate, you'll be getting a digital signal, not HD.

Believe me, no one is more anxious than me to see the new pictures. More
on this as it develops.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Marshall Porter
SVP / General Manager WOI TV
Corporate Director of Sales
3903 Westown Parkway
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Telephone (515) 457-9645 Ext. 129
Fax (515) 457-1033

----- Original Message -----

Mr. Porter,

I am eagerly anticipating receiving your programming in digital
(especially HDTV). Can you provide any updates on the launch date of
your digital station?

I know that you were having trouble locating a tower for your digital
antenna and feedline. Has there been any progress with this?

Also are you equipped to broadcast network provided high definition
content? I am especially interested in watching any football content,
specifically your Super Bowl coverage in HD.

Thanks for any new info you can provide. There are several interested
parties waiting for you to "flip the switch".

Justin Tucker
post #190 of 4290 Old 10-16-2002, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jtuck2
Having said that, I still remain "perhaps overly optimistic" that we can provide you with a digital signal in time for Superbowl. Keep your
fingers crossed for mild weather.

Out of the gate, you'll be getting a digital signal, not HD.

Getting a digital signal for the Super Bowl is no big deal if it's not HD, IMO. Guess we'll have to wait another year for the first HD broadcast Super Bowl in central Iowa. CBS should have the broadcast again in 2004.

I just hope WOI will have their act together in time to show Monday Night Football in HD next fall.
post #191 of 4290 Old 10-17-2002, 08:34 AM
rsg

I need some advice on whether the following would work.

I am renting a townhome from an individual and the landlord has put up a dish (may be he used Direct TV) on the roof. He also has the "Terk TV-42 Outdoor Amplified Clip-On TV " mounted on the dish.

Now my question is can I used the existing dish / outdoor TERK clip on antenna and connect it to my STB (SIRT151 from Samsung) for receiving OTA signals. This will prevent me from buying a antenna for receiving the HD OTA signals.

I do understand that the STB T151 is not meant to be used with Direct TV. I am not interested in Direct TV. All I want is HD OTA.

By the way does anyone know if the Radio Shack Double Bow Tie is available in the Des Moines area ?

Thanks

rsg
post #192 of 4290 Old 10-17-2002, 09:10 AM

rsg,

You should be able to use the existing antenna. If it can pick up a good steady UHF signal then it should work.

It might be worth your time to move it around (aim point) a little to maximize your signal strength, if you aren't using the DirecTV dish for satellite signal it won't matter which way the dish is actually pointed. (The next renter might scratch his head figuring out it needs realigned though.) UHF is fairly directional, but you are close enough to the towers, your signal strength should be high enough to not worry about it.

One other consideration is that many installers run one cable and use a diplexer to combine satellite and antenna signals, you will need probably another diplexer at the receiver end to separate the antenna signal back out. I honestly have never run into the situation of wanting only the antenna signal, you might be OK without it as there will be no signal from the DirecTV LNBs anyway. Try it without it and if things act wonky, try the diplexer before purchasing a new antenna.

No idea about the RS double bow tie, my trusty RCA dinosaur picks up like I lived next to the tower. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it.

Good luck, hope this wasn't complete gibberish.

Justin
post #193 of 4290 Old 10-18-2002, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rsg
I need some advice on whether the following would work.

I am renting a townhome from an individual and the landlord has put up a dish (may be he used Direct TV) on the roof. He also has the "Terk TV-42 Outdoor Amplified Clip-On TV " mounted on the dish.

The Terk antenna (any Terk antenna) is not a very good antenna at all. I think you'll find you can get better results with a normal "rabbit ears". Sadly, Radio Shack decided to drop the double bowtie from their line shortly after we all discovered it.
post #194 of 4290 Old 10-18-2002, 03:07 PM

This is a little off topic, I apologize, but I just received word from and then confirmed with 2 commercial retailers of Dish Network equipment that Dish Network is close to carrying Des Moines local stations. It is not final yet, apparently not all of the retransmission agreements with the local stations are final, but the rumor is it could be announced within 30 days. One guy I talked to said that if they can't reach agreement with a local station for retransmission that Dish will just go on to the next town, but that is the only thing that would kill it. Let's hope our local station managers, if this is true, have our best interests in mind!
post #195 of 4290 Old 10-18-2002, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Jeffcarp,

If they (Dish) picks up our locals, it wouldn't be a HD signal. Sorry, not too excited by that.

rsg,

What Chris Williams said is true. Terk antennas aren't that good. I will be using my Terk tv50 here in Grimes until I get a good one. I got this one cheap.

For good antennas, look for Channel Master, Wineguard (from IA) or Televeves. Another decent antenna is the stealth antenna made by channel master and can be installed on the dish pole portion of the dish.

Best of Luck!!!

Mark
post #196 of 4290 Old 10-21-2002, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

titantv.com says KDIN-DT is on channel 50, right now. I don't get the signal, does anyone?

Mark
post #197 of 4290 Old 10-22-2002, 05:29 AM

Mark, nothing from PBS lately. They had one weekend a couple ago and then back off. I think they are having financing issues running both.
post #198 of 4290 Old 11-01-2002, 08:59 AM

Is the WB(23) broadcasting in HDTV yet? If not, does anyone know when they expect to start?
post #199 of 4290 Old 11-01-2002, 11:30 AM

Ron, nothing out of WB.

A good source for this type of info is www.titantv.com.

They say that WB is still awaiting an FCC permit, which the way things have been going means over a year from now. You might be surprised, but I doubt it. Out next channel due up is WOI (5) before year's end.

On a side not, I really hope everyone is watching CSI on KCCI-DT. The quality of this show (picture quality) makes the investment in equipment seem worthwhile. Just think, someday all TV will look this good.
post #200 of 4290 Old 11-01-2002, 11:59 AM

I just joined today and live in the Des Moines area. I received this e-mail from IPTV yesterday and thought everyone might be interested.

Our Des Moines station broadcasts on UHF channel 50. As for when we will
have more programming in HD, that depends on the next budget. We are not
required to be operational until May 1, 2003 and we currently do not have
the budget to operate the additional DTV channel here. We have funds
requested in our next budget to allow us to operate this station and the 8
other DTV transmitter that we will be operating beginning next year. We are
currently acquiring and producing local content in HD and down converting it
for broadcast on our analog channels. Once we have a budget for operating
the DTV channels we will also air our content in HD as well as the HD
content from PBS and other program providers. Please let me know if you have
any more questions.
post #201 of 4290 Old 11-01-2002, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the post, Jap50226,

Thank you for the info on IPTV!!!

Jtuck2 is completely right, CSI & CSI:Miami are GREAT shows!!!

I tried to get channel 59 tonight with no luck (WOI). Any updates? Last I heard was January.

Mark

Mark
post #202 of 4290 Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 PM

I know this is out of context but I'm wondering what format of DVD do I want. I have 16:9 widescreen and would rather whatch movies that fill the screen instead of having the bars. I am confused about the correct format. Do I want Widescreen DVD's or what? I'm not sure about the anamorphic ratios and what they mean. Thanks for any help.
post #203 of 4290 Old 11-04-2002, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Jap50226,

If you have a widescreen tv (HD ready) then purchase a progressive DVD player (under $200) to see 480p on your current set. There aren't too many movies that are made to truely fit your screen (1.85 to 1 aspect ratio). Most widescreen movies now are released in 2.35 to 1, so you will have to zoom.

For more information go to www.widescreen.org an excellent reference website.

I hope this helps

Mark
post #204 of 4290 Old 11-04-2002, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, double post
Mark
post #205 of 4290 Old 11-06-2002, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

Channel 50.2 (IPTV) is up and running tonight!!! I don't know how long it will last though, I wish IPTV would have an e-mail system!

Just watched a special on the Loess Hills, Now Iowa Barns.

Strange my integrated tuner is not picking up 31.1 but my DTC-100 is receiving it with a strength of 82. No problem with WHO, though.

Mark
post #206 of 4290 Old 11-06-2002, 07:56 PM

mtmdesmoines: Great catch!

I have a slight problem with 13.1 When there showing 4x3 info in the 16x9 feed.
I'm seeing digital data across the top 5 lines or so. Seems to go away when they transmit 16x9 material. Every once in awhile it goes away during 4x3 commercials.

I'm using a hipix card in my PC. -Joe-
post #207 of 4290 Old 11-08-2002, 05:43 AM

Anybody have problems with reception last night (Thursday 11-7)? Both CBS and NBC were dropping in and out continuously. We finally had to switch back to the analog channels to watch CSI and ER.

Thanks,
post #208 of 4290 Old 11-08-2002, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

mwalter,

No problem here in Grimes, last night or tonight. I watch Dtv through the 10:00 news WHO then Jay.

I see you have a Hughes e86 Directv/ota receiver. What kind of antenna are you using?

Mark
post #209 of 4290 Old 11-09-2002, 05:49 AM

mwalter,

I noticed some troubles with CSI, but finally went away. When I first tried to tune KCCI-DT, I couldn't even pick them up. Never had any trouble with WHO though.
post #210 of 4290 Old 11-11-2002, 09:34 AM

The clarity on the SEC Football games is amazing, the IPTV High Def. is amazing also. I was wondering why these are so much better than some of the high def. programming in general. Could it be the programming itself? Any news on channel 5, we need to put some pressure on so the Super Bowl will be in High Def.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page