Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

Did anybody catch Crossing Jordan? I caught the tail end of it because they
didn't advertise it. I did a search with my Mits 65909 tonight and locked in
perfectly!!!

Recorded the news and I'm now recording Jay!!!

does anybody have a date for KCCI? Titantv.com says Nov 1. for WOI.

Enjoying HD in DES MOINES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4289 Old 04-30-2002, 09:17 AM

I know KCCI filed for an extension so they may as well be on the air Nov. 1. I am going to have to purchase another 8vsb module for my dish 6000 so I can watch the eye candy.
post #3 of 4289 Old 04-30-2002, 02:32 PM

Hey there,

Excellent! Crossing Jordan came in quite well here too. During these intitial testing stages, their timing has been near perfect on switching on the HD feed. Beginning tomorrow, WHO-DT will be broadcasting on a regular schedule during primetime. And, by the way, they are DD5.1 capable!

Regarding CBS, I spoke with a friendly and courteous individual working in operations at KCCI last week. They said they were initially shooting for May 1st, but they've been waiting for some equipment and the winds to calm. The current estimate is mid-July-- not bad at all! I just checked their page and they recently updated it with the info (second paragraph):

http://www.theiowachannel.com/kcci/569498/detail.html

Can't wait for CBS in HD!
post #4 of 4289 Old 05-01-2002, 02:40 PM

FOX17 signed on just moments ago. Currently, there is just a test pattern and some program audio. The audio was in mono, then out of left channel. I am hoping for stereo as they don't even transmit MTS currently.

Looks like a work in progress, but it is great to see another station on the air in DSM!

-Loren
post #5 of 4289 Old 05-01-2002, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wow xenon221 you are on top of things!!! Thanks for the link for kcci also!!! Just did a search for fox and just picked up 17.01. I don't think fox does any 1080i though.

Hey Bill, do you have a dish HD 6000? If you do, do you get showtime and is it just upconverted stuff, not 1080i.

just a fyi WHO has a link on their website and they will e-mail you any hd new shows that they will broadcast.

It says nothing about the kentucky derby that is supposed to be in HD this saturday, but according to HD.net they and NBC dtv affiliates will be broadcasting that event in HD.

dieing for CBS!!!

-mark
post #6 of 4289 Old 05-01-2002, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

hey xenon221,

13.01 had drop outs ( for me) for the first 45 minutes they started at 7:00. Now it is perfect (maybe they turned up the power)? Did you have the same situation?

Also channel 13.01 looks like it is 480p and 17.01 must be upconverted 480i, because I sure can see a difference, how about yourself?

mark
post #7 of 4289 Old 05-02-2002, 02:57 PM

Mark,

Hello there. No problems here with dropouts last night, though I wasn't on WHO during their entire first hour. I have experienced some occasional dropouts during the Tonight Show. The signal usually hovers around 85, but I found that if there even a slight variation in antenna placement, the signal drops to extremely low levels (10-20) periodically.

Thanks for the info about the WHO-DT mail list, and I just signed up for that. While I was on the site, I saw a new mention about the Kentucky Derby this weekend. Apparently, it will be aired from 5-6:30pm Saturday!

I agree with you completely about KDSM and I too can see a big difference in quality. They are indeed transmitting a 480i signal on 17.1 and so far I'm disappointed with their digital broadcast. I guess it's still early though; we'll have to see if they begin transmitting the FOX 480p widescreen programming.

By the way, I've noticed a problem with interlacing on KDSM (the fields seem to be reversed, causing either excessive jitter or combing artifacts). Have you experienced any of this?

-Loren
post #8 of 4289 Old 05-02-2002, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

xenon,

Yes, I saw the same situation with fox and gave up on them, they aren't even broadcasting here at 10pm. I did e-mail them and asked what they would show in 1080i, and they haven't e-mailed me back. It was kind of a joke e-mail (Fox only wants to do 480p).

What are you using to get your signal? It's not in your profile.

Are we the only 2 in des moines watching live HD?

Got to go, recording another episode of Jay!!!!

Mark
post #9 of 4289 Old 05-02-2002, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The Des Moines NBC affiliate did show the Olympics. I was at a customer's location in Ames and we were picking it up. They had the transmitter off until 20 minutes before the start of the Olympics programming, and turned it off right after. I understand the PBS affiliate's transmitter works, but they only have it on for new PBS HD programs.
post #10 of 4289 Old 05-02-2002, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Chris,

Yes, WHO did the olympics and they were great! PBS seems to broadcast only around state fair time (around August) and have about 3 programs in HD. They would broadcast them more but need more funding.

mark
post #11 of 4289 Old 05-06-2002, 02:17 AM

Heh!! All these Iowa folks getting HD!!!
Wonder when the Iowa City area (and near by areas)
will see any???....
post #12 of 4289 Old 05-06-2002, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tammes
Heh!! All these Iowa folks getting HD!!!
Wonder when the Iowa City area (and near by areas)
will see any???....

KWWL (Channel 7 analog, Channel 55 dig) went live on May 1. They broadcast from 5 to 11:30 on Monday-Friday. Course, being an NBC affiliate, the only thing in HD they have is Leno and Crossing Jordan and a few odds and ends here. But at least they're up and running. Check titantv.com to see when others are scheduled to go live. Also, there is a station in the Quad cities that is live now...you may be able to pick that up. I live halfway between CR and IC (Shueyville!!). Haven't yet put up an antenna, so don't know how the reception on either of these will be.

mike
post #13 of 4289 Old 05-06-2002, 07:11 PM

Mark,

I am giving up on KDSM too. So far, no Fox Widescreen. They seem to be broadcasting just to meet the minimum requirements. I called the station to ask for some details with no luck. I hope they reply to your message, that's funny. They probably just let out a long sigh when they read that one.

I'm using a HiPix DTV-200 to receive the signal. No Hi-Def monitor as of yet, but I am planning on investing in one in a few months, particularly when KCCI, IPTV begin broadcasting.

Yep, that's an interesting thought; I think we are probably the only two watching, and especially recording HD! But hey, somebody's gotta be on the bleeding edge.

-Loren
post #14 of 4289 Old 05-07-2002, 06:38 AM

Actually mark me as number three watching HD in central Iowa. mtmdesmoines, when I was getting Showtime, about half the stuff I would see would be in HD and the other half would be an upconvert of their regular channel.
I got my new 8vsb module in yesterday, but I will have to wait until Friday before I can install it in my system as I am in the process of moving right now.
I really hope KDSM gets their act together and at least shows their digital widescreen presentations, but I guess that might be hoping for too much? Has anyone heard anything on KPWB? I thought that KDSM and KPWB share the same tower.

I hate moving

Bill
post #15 of 4289 Old 05-07-2002, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Loren,

No response from Fox.

Bill,

Great, then when you get OTA signals you can deal with this: Jay Leno tonight 1st 15 minutes top half of screen frozen pizels, bottom half frozen Jays la building intro. Called WHO 282-1313 and they switched it to sd 4:3 called again got HD for 15 minutes then same situation as the original called again, they said it was the server from NBC but I was able to get another 10 or so minutes of HD.

If you read above I have been recording this on my Mits HD vcr and it is quite entertaining to see the goof ups.

WHO is doing a great job, I wonder if they had theese kind of problems back in 1954 when color 1ST came out?

If any of you want to see the hd recordings, e-mail me and we can get together.

My Mits 65909 will be calibrated by Dave Levy (www.abbeyroad hometheater.com) the 28th of this month, if you want to see the finished product,contact me.

Bill, does kdsm, (wb?) have anything broadcast in HD?

Good luck with the move!!!

Mark
post #16 of 4289 Old 05-08-2002, 06:56 AM

mtmdesmoines,
I believe that KDSM (17) is central Iowa's Fox station and KPWB (23) is the WB station. I really can't wait to get this thing installed and check out how WHO is handling this. I think it is a shame that KDSM isn't showing their "High Resolution Digital Widescreen" presentations like they should. I am sure they will eventually, but why not now?

Bill
post #17 of 4289 Old 05-08-2002, 01:56 PM

Hey guys,

I saw the same thing yesterday on WHO. It was cool to hear the band play for a couple minutes during the "commercial break" though (no complaints here). Between the glitches, I've noticed something interesting this week during Leno. When they were playing back the package, I could still see the studio camera panning/zooming along the top 5 or so pixels. Just a guess, but it appears they are routing the SD material through by way of a (mis-aligned) overlay in the switcher.

I think we've seen a wider variety of problems in the last 24 hours than they ever saw with B/W. I am sure it's a digital nightmare at the stations handling the MPEG-2 and PSIP. If there is an interruption in the data stream, it appears there is not yet enough error checking and correction to compensate for the errors. Then say hello to macroblocks.

Another sign-on: I was talking with a friend in the Mason City, IA and he said KIMT (the CBS affiliate) is now broadcasting digital. Not confirmed, but I believe they are sending the 1080i prime-time programming. Below is a site that seems fairly up to date on the current and upcoming stations. Digital stations are in light blue and digital live stations are light green:

http://100kwatts.tmi.net/tv/IA.html

-Loren
post #18 of 4289 Old 05-08-2002, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Bill,

Just looked at KDSM through Loren's link, they are owned by Sinclair (the evil company that wanted to adopt COFDM over 8vsb).

We should feel lucky they went to DT!!!

Lets see what happens tonight.

Mark
post #19 of 4289 Old 05-09-2002, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Xenon221:
he said KIMT (the CBS affiliate) is now broadcasting digital. Not confirmed, but I believe they are sending the 1080i prime-time programming.

I have gotten a weak signal from KIMT-DT in Mason City since they are only a STA. It has not been strong enough to get a picture in from them. CBS normally gets their CBS affiliates their HD equipment quickly.
post #20 of 4289 Old 06-11-2002, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

hey guys,

The last 2 days WHO has not been on the ball with Jay. Last night it was in SD until I called them, tonight sound no picture, I called they took care of it after about 15 minutes!!!

Does anybody else (around the country) have this problem, Having to remind your tv station to turn on its signal?

Mark
post #21 of 4289 Old 06-12-2002, 07:13 AM

>Having to remind your tv station to turn on its signal?

No way! I'm surprised that you even know who to call. In Minneapolis we have CBS, PBS, and Fox running just fine through TWC.

I haven't had HDTV for long but it is interesting to note that DD5.1 seems to be at a much lower level for broadcast than it is for DVD's. I rarely watch anything but HBO & Showtime HD but the other day I listened to my first commercial in DD5.1 and it was so cool. I might even enjoy watching commercials until the novelty wears off!
post #22 of 4289 Old 06-12-2002, 07:13 PM

Hey there,

Same experience here. I also noticed the sound was very garbled last night until they restored the picture. Thanks Mark; I am glad you've been keeping them in line!

Crossing Jordan was in SD last week, although I think that might have been an NBC problem. This week it was in a flux, flipping back and forth to SD several times.

By the way Mark, were you the one that had them switch over to Ashley Judd during the election coverage? I don't know whether you saw that one, but they had the election deal on analog 13 and Tonight Show, w/o the local ads on digital 19.1. They were doing well after that one in my book-- that is until these past few nights.

Glad to hear you are having good luck with your affiliates mlomker; that's the way it should be. It really is unfortunate when they mess things up. I read a post around here a while ago that talked about a CBS affiliate that would sometimes throw the 'HD switch' a half an hour or so into a show. I've also heard some others talking about lip sync problems (let's hope we don't start having those, yikes!)

-Loren
post #23 of 4289 Old 06-12-2002, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

hey Loren,

No, I didn't know about that incident. The number is 282-1313, I don't want them to hear just my voice, when they have a problem! If you call mention the fact that you spoke with 2 or 3 of your friend and they are having the same problem that night, (lets make it look like there are a lot of people in DSM watching HD)!

Also if you wanted to e-mail WHO, they don't keep anyone there after 11:00 central, so if there is a mess up with their server, were out of luck during the last half Hour of Jay.

Did you notice they didn't e-mail a reminder that the Belmont was in HD? But they did e-mail that Pres. Bush was in town, I care about HD more than politics!!!

Mark
post #24 of 4289 Old 06-13-2002, 02:50 PM

Just wanted to check in! Count me as another HDTV viewer in Des Moines. Thanks for the phone number. I usually don't watch Leno, but
maybe tonight. Love that HDTV!

Randy

Dish 6000 w/ 8VSB
post #25 of 4289 Old 06-14-2002, 05:33 PM

Mark,

Hey there. That sounds like a great plan to me! The next time I see any more of these problems, I'll definitely dial them up. Thanks for the number and info. It will be especially important for them to have bug-free, properly timed broadcasts as the rest of the area also begins receiving.

I've noticed a couple of times the musical segments have been in SD and now I understand why. I agree with you about the e-mail; unless Bush is going to be in HD, I don't want to hear about it!

And hello to Randy; welcome aboard. I think you'll like Leno. He has some good shows that are visually interesting and really make use of/demonstrate the clarity of HD.

-Loren
post #26 of 4289 Old 06-14-2002, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Randy,

Yes, welcome aboard and enjoy HD jay, I now only tape Jay when he has top actors on and when he has animals on the show.

Well about 2 weeks away from KCCI going HD, can't wait!!!

Hey if anybody has a HD recorder you can go to www.hd.net and order movies from them for $29.95!!! I am not affiliated with hd.net or mark cuban, but would like to meet Him!!!

Sorry if I broke a forum rule.

Mark
post #27 of 4289 Old 06-15-2002, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

mtm,

Glad to hear you're receiving HD in Desmoines. Here I sit, not more than 130 miles from you in Omaha, Nebraskas' largest city, and not a single station is on line broadcasting HD. Ironically, from researching the locals progress over the last several years it now appears that the station who provides the least HD content (NBC) will be the first on line. Our local NBC-HD affiliate has alluded that broadcasts will begin by 1 August. ABC and CBS have stated they won't be ready until late 2002.

I guess we now know which state is more technologically behind the curve. Cudos to you, wish I were in your shoes.

John

Building our dream theater one component at a time.. Thanks AVS for years of great advice and support!

Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater/
post #28 of 4289 Old 06-15-2002, 08:58 AM

Hi Guys,
NBC (KWWL) is the only game in town in Waterloo too.

Looks like CBS (KGAN) is only about a month away
post #29 of 4289 Old 06-17-2002, 11:50 AM

Hi all, just wanted to check in as another happy HD Des Moines (Knoxville) receiver. Not too fond of Jay, but I will take all we can get at this point.

I will have to quit sleeping as soon as Discovery HD goes on the DirecTV.

Does anyone have a good target on line date for KCCI (Channel 8)?

Enjoy.

Justin

SAT HD 100
Sanyo PLV60HT
post #30 of 4289 Old 06-17-2002, 03:14 PM

I emailed KGAN about www.titantv.com's go live date and here is the reply I got:
Quote:

Pat, we never had July 15 as a date. Construction on our equipment is not
anywhere near complete. Looks like November or December.

Thanks for your interest

Les

What a bummer...I was looking forward to watching CSI in HIDEF at the beginning of the new season
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page