Signal loss/breaks in Northern Mass. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2002, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i'm a new member,and new to hd,im experiencing a lot of signal breaks on fox,abc & pbs,i'm based in nothern Mass ,any ideas on how to remedy this.
all other hd chanell comes in perfectly including CBS and NBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2002, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not familiar with the locations of the transmission facilities in your area. You may need to mount your OTA antenna on a rotor so you can point the antenna more precisely toward each particular transmission source.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2002, 11:39 AM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Around here people seem to have trouble more often with 42 (7) and 31 (25). Same cause: multipath.

You need to reaim or put up a better antenna. Or find a better location for it.

Fox is a bit weaker signal than the others, and 19 has analog 19 issues, but there is no reason for you to have trouble with channel 20 (5) other than your antenna and location.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2002, 08:05 AM

Hi, I might be able to help you out. I'v been watching and working with HD for last 2 years. If you could give some info, like your Zip code for location, what you may be using for antenna and how it is presently mounted (location, indoors or outdoors attic etc.) I live in Tewksbury which is 20 miles from the transmitter site in Needham, Ma. Maybe we can determine what you need or what problems you may have.

Pat
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2002, 12:01 PM

I am in 01867 (Reading - junction of 93 and 128 10mi north of Boston) and I can get everything except PBS. I was able to receive it a few weeks ago, but have not had any luck recently.

I have a DTC 100 and a big huge antenna from the Shack mounted in the attic. Probably overkill. I do not have a rotor.

What channels does PBS broadcast on? My DTC 100 seems to remap the channels to the same # as their analog counterparts. For example, I used to be able to receive PBS on 2-1, 19-1 and 80-3. Are these all GBH ?

I've never seen 80-3 mentioned around here, and I was wondering if anyone knows what my DTC 100 is doing!

If I peak WBZ-DT, shouldn't that get me the best GBH-DT signal? I thought I read that they are on the same tower.

Please help me get some good HDTV demos for this weekend for visiting relatives.

Thanks,
John
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2002, 01:38 PM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Mendez
I am in 01867 (Reading - junction of 93 and 128 10mi north of Boston) and I can get everything except PBS.
I have a DTC 100 and a big huge antenna from the Shack mounted in the attic. Probably overkill. I do not have a rotor.

What channels does PBS broadcast on? My DTC 100 seems to remap the channels to the same # as their analog counterparts. For example, I used to be able to receive PBS on 2-1, 19-1 and 80-3. Are these all GBH ?

I've never seen 80-3 mentioned around here, and I was wondering if anyone knows what my DTC 100 is doing!

If I peak WBZ-DT, shouldn't that get me the best GBH-DT signal? I thought I read that they are on the same tower.

Please help me get some good HDTV demos for this weekend for visiting relatives.

Thanks,
John
John,

I used to have a DTC 100 in Lexington. I kept the remapping turned off. It is a set up option, but you must rescan after setting it. I find the real transmitter channels much less confusing. You should get WGBH-DT in Reading, but you could get interference from analog 19. If the DTC-100 sees the analog 19 the digital 19 usually goes away and you have to do a rescan to get it back sometimes.

Regarding your antenna, it is not overkill if it is in your attic. A big antenna is generally good and better than using a preamp for most people. You may need something better though, depending on your multipath. I would suggest you use your antenna for VHF only and then add a good UHF antenna on a rotor like a Channel Master 4248, if you have room. You could set it up so only the UHF one rotates if you want.

Depending on where you are in relation to hills, in Reading you should have a choice of 2 pbs stations: WGBH-DT or WENH-DT.

WGBH-DT is channel 19 and maps to 2-x and is in Needham on the tower with channel 4 etc.

WENH-DT is channel 57 and can map to it's analog number channel 11 from Saddleback Mtn in NH.

Channel 80 is the number used by the PBS HDTV satellite feed and can show up on your tv if the signal is just being passed through without local station relabeling. With this number you really can't tell which pbs station you are watching which is another reason to turn off remapping if you can! I have seen it on both but I think WENH-DT lets this channel number through more.

WBZ-DT is indeed on the tower with 19, but you need to peak the channel you are watching especially for 19. Most people need to re-aim due to multipath, but even if you have little of that, 19 analog will interfere so to get 19 digital you still likely need to turn your antenna to try to null 19 analog as much as possible.

19 20 30 are all on the same tower in Needham, but I have to aim my antenna individually for each. I can usually find a compromise setting that gets any 2 of them, but not all 3 reliably. And the aim shifts I am talking about are like 20-30 degrees with my rotor!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2002, 02:05 PM

Excellent information. I really appreciate it! Now off to battle the traffic on 128 .... grrrr
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2002, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thank you very much everyone for your imput ,i am now recieving all local hdtv stations well,and really enjoying it.
bye the way im located in methuen mass
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page