San Antonio, TX - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4349 Old 12-10-2003, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it was the 15-1.. great PQ though.. doesnt seem to do it all the time . but was sure full of hiss at lunch today

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
-Calvin & Hobbes-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4349 Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM

I have been receiving the PBS HD feed on 15.1 from day one and it has had this hiss sound issue from day one. Not sure why but the picture is amazing. Its not you, its the local PBS HD signal

Troy
post #543 of 4349 Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 AM

ah well.. thanks!

Has anyone been in contact with channel 2 / 15 and inquired about the problem w/ the audio?

The surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.
-Calvin & Hobbes-
post #544 of 4349 Old 12-11-2003, 03:28 PM

I listened briefly to 15-1 while at home for lunch. The noise I heard was associated with speech and would end just after speech ended. In other words there is a whishing sound associated with audio that is masked when the sound is loud and not present when the sound is quiet. It really sounded more like an FM station with multipath or mistuning then ordinary white noise. At no time was it very loud or very objectionable. Perhaps it varies with program content or program source.

The travelogue stuff had been replaced with Christmas at Branson and other shows so maybe there is hope of good viewing ahead!
post #545 of 4349 Old 12-11-2003, 04:54 PM

PBS SOUND PROBLEMS

I have spoken to the Chief Engineer at PBS for the last four days about the sound issues, both the hissing static sound on channel 17.01 (15.01) and the total lack of sound on channel 17.02 (15.02). The Chief Engineer's name is Curtis and has been very kind and seemingly interested to help with these issues. However he has been unwilling to acknowledge the problem is on his end. He told me today that they checked these issues on several different tuners and they all were functioning properly. He also told me he hadn't received any other complaints about sound problems. If you are experiencing these problems please call PBS at 865.595.0220 or toll free at 1.800.595.0220 to report these issues. Ask to talk directly to Curtis or leave a detailed message for him regarding these issues with your name and contact number. I don't think these problems will be fixed until more people take the time to report them. Right now I have a feeling Curtis thinks the problem is on my end. Please be nice to him as he has been very nice to me. The poor guy is stretched pretty thin now that he has to manage four towers, two analog and two digital, for ETPTV.

Thanks
Craig
post #546 of 4349 Old 12-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

I am on Charter cable in Farragut. A few days ago I tried to take in the Allison Krauss concert on HDNet, but gave up as the sound was screwed up. Echoes and drop outs. I have noticed similar problems on WVLT over the past several weeks (LSU v UGA in particular).

Anyone else?

I run coax to a Klipsch decoder. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Please pray for peace.
post #547 of 4349 Old 12-12-2003, 01:13 PM

I am looking for some feedback on WOAI-HD's signal quality through Time Warner (ch 104) and Grande cable (ch 304) systems. What do you think?

Feel free to email me at GregDerkowski@woai.com

Regards-

Greg Derkowski
Director of Creative Services
WOAI-TV/DT
San Antonio, TX
gregderkowski@woai.com
post #548 of 4349 Old 12-12-2003, 03:27 PM

I spoke to the Chief Engineer at FOX 39 in Johnson City on Monday. His name is Jim and he was very kind and answered all of my questions. He stated that their digital channel 38 is currently not broadcasting due to some transmitter repairs and upgrades to both the analog and digital transmitters. He also stated that the digital channel 38 should be broadcasting by 12/19/03. Jim told me that with a good antenna we in Knoxville should be able to receive their digital broadcast. So we can all look forward to that!

Later
Craig
post #549 of 4349 Old 12-12-2003, 05:23 PM

Think I will put my comments in this forum so everybody can see them. I am sure Greg is interested only in PQ and Sound, cause there's not much that I watch other than New and special events. I will make an extra effort to comment on those that are labled HD in the guide. Right now only the upconverted SD programs are on 104. Its much better than what comes in on CH4. Sound is tolerable just like all the other. Some like Discovery HD are really good a lot of the time with a mild 5.1 (effect?). I am using the new Pace STB via a DVI cable into a Sony 40XBR800. Just got the Pace on Wed so I have not had time to play with it. If there are specific pgms you want us to check let us know.
post #550 of 4349 Old 12-12-2003, 09:26 PM

In response to your query about the quality on TWC, its fair. I've noted a significant dropout in audio that seems to happen at the delegation from network to local switcher between today/cutins and locally originated commercials during network shows. THe picture is good generally, but the audio isn't as consistent as I get on my OTA Samsung ST165. I live near Callaghan/Vance Jackson outside the loop and ususally get a good signal from Elmendorf.

hope this helps.
Chris Wallace

Chris Wallace
post #551 of 4349 Old 12-13-2003, 12:38 PM

Regarding audio on 15-1 and 15-2.

I checked 15-1 and 15-2 at about 7:05 PM Friday evening and listened to audio on both HD and SD channels. Today, about 2:33PM I checked again and still have audio on 15-1 and on 15-2. I don't know what to suggest; however, I'm not having difficulty.
post #552 of 4349 Old 12-13-2003, 08:42 PM

What little I watched of them today they were both working fine. I haven't experienced the audio out on 15-2 however... just the odd background noise on 15-1 at times.

-Calvin & Hobbes-
post #553 of 4349 Old 12-15-2003, 07:20 AM

Curtis got the audio fixed on PBS channel 15.02 on Friday. We should all be able to hear it now. The lack of audio was not effecting everyone indicating it was only a problem with some digital tuners. That was one of the things that made it harder for the problem to be diagnosed.

Nice work PBS.
post #554 of 4349 Old 12-15-2003, 07:34 AM

That program from the Luther sounded terrible sunday...

glad to hear curtis was able to fix 15-2.

-Calvin & Hobbes-
post #555 of 4349 Old 12-21-2003, 08:47 PM

Has anyone picked up the HD OTA signal from Johnson city yet? My PBS sound seems a little better as well.

Happy Holidays

Troy
post #556 of 4349 Old 12-24-2003, 07:04 AM

I have a Comcast HDTV box (Motorola 5100).

Do any of you lose some of the HD channels, in particular Showtime and HBO during rain? The local broadcast channels are solid so I don't think its a local (near my house) problem but who knows? The symptom on the 5100 is a message "This channel will be available soon" but the channel never appears. I've noticed no problem with the SD digital cable channels.

Does Comcast get Showtime HD and HBO HD from a satellite that is easily subject to rain fade?
post #557 of 4349 Old 12-24-2003, 07:20 AM

I just now looked at the FCC database online.

WEMT, Johnson City, has an STA (special temporary authority) for 3.9 kw which is not much power at all. They also have a construction permit for 1000 kw which is maximum power. WEMT's web site does not mention DTV at all so its unknown to me whether they are very low power or full power.

I would bet on 3.9 kw which will not be easily viewable at a distance.
post #558 of 4349 Old 12-31-2003, 08:48 PM

Now that we have all these HD channels in Knoxville I was thinking of getting my new Mitsubishi WS-65413 professionally ISF calibrated in the spring of 2004. If there are others that might want to have their HD set calibrated in the Knoxville area I will look into for us and get pricing. With enough of us interested we could get a better rate and have someone to do our sets over a weekend or something. If you might be interested let me know and I will begin to gather some information for us.

Troy

Troy
post #559 of 4349 Old 01-01-2004, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg Loewen from lionav.com is making a trip here in March. Pricing on the site. I have a FPTV that I may have re-ISF calibrated by another member of the team later in the year. Perhaps another tour opportunity.

Dave
post #560 of 4349 Old 01-05-2004, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

TWC HD Tech dude told me over the weekend that the Explorer 8000HD DVR's are in and the employees are being asked to test them. A rollout seems very close.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #561 of 4349 Old 01-10-2004, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Knoxville HD fans,
I live in Corbin, KY and can get WATE, WBIR, WB, PAX but cannot tune
WVLT or WTNZ which are at around half the power of WATE and WBIR.
Anyone out there know if either of these two will eventually increase power? Is WTNZ broadcasting the NFL in widescreen?
Thanks
Charles
post #562 of 4349 Old 01-12-2004, 06:21 AM

What antenna and receiver are you using to receive these signals? Corbin is a pretty good distance from Knoxville. PAX and WB are actually closer to you than Knoxville.

WBIR-DT is operating at 50% of its future full licensed power. WATE has just received permission to go full power but is not able to run full power due to equipment trouble. WVLT is then about the same power level as WBIR at this time.

I thought that WTNZ was roughly the same power level i.e. near 420kw or so and is on the same antenna as WATE (26) and WBIR (31). You might try to tune WTNZ on RF channel 34. If you do then receive them it should remap to 43-1. In a similar manner you might try to tune RF channel 30 (WVLT) which should map to 8-1. Another weaker signal to try for is RF channel 17 (WKOP) PBS Knoxville or RF channel 41 (WSJK) PBS from Sneedville.

I've not seen any wide screen or true HD from FOX.
post #563 of 4349 Old 01-12-2004, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

PatrickT,
I'm using a CM 4228 with a Blonder Tongue Vaulter III plus amp into an
LG 3510a receiver/DVD player. WATE is about 65-70% with no drops while
WBIR is about 60% with really no drops either. I can get a signal from WVLT but only about 20-30% and no picture and it's about the same for
WTNZ. Occ. my receiver will remap to 43-1 with WTNZ but I've never gotten enough signal for that to happen with WVLT at 30-1.

According to the FCC website, WVLT is 390 kw while WTNZ is 460 I think.
WATE is listed as 900 and WBIR around 890kw. I'm hoping WTNZ and WVLT will eventually broadcast at comparable levels and I should be able to
tune those stations.

Are the stations not necessarily broadcasting up to the power listed at the
FCC site? If that's the case I guess only the station can tell you what their
current power level is. I have sent emails to both WVLT and WTNZ but as of yet no response.

Thanks for your help.
Charles
post #564 of 4349 Old 01-12-2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the equipment report!

The information on the FCC site will be generally correct; however, you have to look further to see if the station has applied for an STA (Special Temporary Authority). For instance, WBIR is running 420kw by virtue of an STA for 50% power. Also, WVLT appears to have an STA for 230kw. WTNZ is licensed for 460kw and I don't see an STA.

I'm surprised that you can get WBIR and WATE okay but not WTNZ.
I haven't spoken to anyone at WTNZ so I'm assuming they are at full licensed power but maybe they have ongoing problems.

Expect operating hours to increase to 18 or more hours per day starting April 1st. Its unknown when the FCC will require full power (or just let the STA's expire).
post #565 of 4349 Old 01-12-2004, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

PatrickT,
Thanks to you as well for educating me on how to interpret the FCC site.
The way I read it, WATE has STA for 300kw, WBIR for 420kw, and WVLT for
230kw. WVLT just applied for another STA but the specifics are not up yet.
As you said, WTNZ should be at 460kw based on the FCC site and I too am
uncertain as to why I can't receive it if they are truly at this power.

Now it makes more sense as to why I can't get WVLT, though. If I'm receiving WATE, WBIR at those stated powers then I should be able to eventually get all 4 without a problem, it's just a matter of how long it will
take for everyone to crank up the power.

Charles
post #566 of 4349 Old 01-12-2004, 04:10 PM

I realize that Knoxville is not my viewing area, but I cannot help but wonder why it has taken your locals so long to get their digital stations up and going?

I am in Johnson City and have had all my local stations, Johnson City(cbs), Kingsport(abc) and Bristol(nbc), digital channels for quite a few months now. In fact Bristol was first in state. And not only that but they have been passing HD signals through since early summer '03.

Since Knoxville is such a bigger market area why are they lagging behind?

Jerry
post #567 of 4349 Old 01-12-2004, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm currently getting CBS from Hazard, KY 50 kw VHF station pegging my signal meter to 80-85%. OTOH, the NBC station in Lexington (WLEX) has yet to even establish a digital station. The Hazard station provides HD as well. The flip-side can be things like showing the "WYMT Mountain Classic"
(high school basketball) which pre-empted HD NFL football last Saturday.

Charles
post #568 of 4349 Old 01-13-2004, 07:05 AM

WCYB did indeed go on early.

The Knoxville stations were not all that tardy.

WATE and WBIR went on with digital and have passed network HD since June 2002. WTNZ was on a few months later. WVLT was on much later due to tower construction. WKOP (PBS) went on about the same time as WVLT since they share the same newly built tower.
post #569 of 4349 Old 01-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

I just wish Charter cable would get things together and provide the rest of the available local channels. All I get is CBS and NBC.

At least I will be watching the Superbowl in HD this year. Finally!

Please pray for peace.
post #570 of 4349 Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 AM

Time Warner is now available in my neighborhood...hopefully with the Pace 550.

I've been a long-time Dish customer and am subscribing to their HDTV package as well as using their 6000 receiver for UHF OTA HD. I'm tempted to switch so that I can get the Fox Sports HD Spurs games and KLRN's digitial transmissions.

Has anyone compared TWC with Dish...SD and HD picture quality?

Thanks for any suggestions, opinion's, etc.

Abner
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page