San Antonio, TX - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4345 Old 06-24-2004, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea realy. That would be such a waste of bandwidth! I hope its just till monday. Monday is when they said it would go "on air".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4345 Old 06-24-2004, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any info as to what they are planning? From what I understand, they are planning both CBS & UPN to be in HD on the same channel number, which I am sure will cause constant pixiliaton on both channels. Anyone know something I don't?
post #723 of 4345 Old 06-25-2004, 06:17 AM

Right now 8-2 is just 480i.
post #724 of 4345 Old 06-27-2004, 10:15 AM

Does UPN have any HD programming?
post #725 of 4345 Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 AM

Just getting interested in HDTV.I live in Knoxville (Cedar Bluff area),so I'm pretty close to the towers.I currently have DirecTV and can get Comcast cable.Problem is:I'd like to get OTA signals for the locals and keep satellite.But our OTA reception is poor.We live in an area behind a large hill with large trees and homes.

I got an RCA set top,amplified antenna(45dB gain in VHF and 35dB in UHF).It got me a signal on CH:6(ABC),8(CBS),10(NBC),15(PBS) and 43(FOX).But the signal is fair to OK(not really that great).Now this is NTSC.

So,is this an indication that I can(or cannot) expect to get a good HDTV signal?Or is there any correlation between ATSC and NTSC?

Is there any way short of buying all the hardware,to tell if I'm able to get good OTA signals for HDTV?
Sorry for all the questions!Thanks for anyone's help. Fred
post #726 of 4345 Old 06-27-2004, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by quickfire
Does UPN have any HD programming?

If there's anything beyond ST ENTERPRISE, I don't know what it might be. I'm gonna record this week's Enterprise on D-VHS. My expectations are high, but not to high. Any degree of quality, even just 480i 16 x 9 would body slam ole WEEE!

Hey, anybody else getting peeved with (PBS) WKOP's hard, unmoving, apparently permament logo? I'm ready to complain to them about it myself.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #727 of 4345 Old 06-27-2004, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Fred, I'd say that your analog reception is a sign that you'll get purr-fect digital reception, proably??? "They" say if you even get the analogs, that be a fair omen of what's to come. Remember, you get the digital purr-fect, or not at all. I'd say your odds are favourable.

Welcum tu Knox-Vegas and the forum!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #728 of 4345 Old 06-27-2004, 11:32 AM

aVOLanche...You either will get the ATSC broadcast or you won't.What I mean by this is you will either get the picture or it will continuously freeze up.There is no snowy or fuzzy HD picture!The Digital broadcast will send the signal a farther distants than the analog signal..........If this is wrong someone correct me on this please........... you should be able to receive the Digital broadcast without any problems........P.S I think that once you begin watching HD programming you will become an HD addict like the rest of here on this site....LOL
post #729 of 4345 Old 06-28-2004, 12:47 AM

Hi guys, I just want to post my experiences from here in Surgoinsville, TN.

I can get WATE-6 about 75% which is 67.34 miles away: WVLT-8 is about 60% could be better: WBIR-10 is about 70%.

I can receive others but thats the ones I really want. All that is with a Silver Sensor and a little Zenith pre-amp. Would a different amp help me out much?

Thanks guys
post #730 of 4345 Old 06-28-2004, 07:31 AM

UPN is up and running! Green Acers is on right now (10:30 am). They are still just 480i. Looks good, signal is strong. Their logo is going to be a problem. Could cause burn in. By the way PBS-HD took the "black box" off.
post #731 of 4345 Old 06-29-2004, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Banghead11,
A different amp is not likely to help. Preamps function to overcome signal loss over cable runs. At >60 miles a decent outdoor antenna is likely to do wonders for you, though. Then it might be necessary to use a preamp depending on the length of cable run (less than 50 ft. and I doubt you'd need one).

An excellent overall performer for UHF is the CM 4228.

Charles
post #732 of 4345 Old 06-30-2004, 06:43 PM

Well this sux! Was watching startrek on UPN and they cut in and put that stupid shopping crap on. It went back to normal programing after about 10 min, then it does it again. Anyway, anyone know if they plan on going to HD sometime? I hope whatever it is that causes this shopping crap to come on they fix it. It would be nice if they would not show it at all. I like to watch tv late at night sometimes.
post #733 of 4345 Old 06-30-2004, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm disheartened that Enterprise is being shown in 4/3.

post #734 of 4345 Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 PM

Mine was in 16x9, but it was letter boxed. I used the zoom fuction and it fit the screen perfect with no distortion. I would like to see it in HD. I hope they go to HD.
post #735 of 4345 Old 07-01-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw glimpses of it. It appeared to be window-boxed. I wish WVLT would increase power so I could get it consistently. My guess is that they're using their omni antenna now but still at low power.
post #736 of 4345 Old 07-04-2004, 11:05 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be moving to the Heiskell area, just outside of Knoxville, close to Norris. I'm debating on what to get, direct tv or comcast? Are the local HD stations better on comcast than over-the-air. I will be getting my first HD tv when I arrive and really have no idea what to do for the best reception, etcs........ What's the best deal?
post #737 of 4345 Old 07-05-2004, 02:23 PM

DirecTv has an HD Deal going for New customers...DirecTv will give you a HD receiver box (Samsung 160 or Hughes) and 2 regular receivers AND 6 MONTHS FREE HBO for $399.00.Thats not a bad cost considering I paid $650.00 for the Samsung 160 HD reciver 10 months ago..as far as locals go you should be able to receive the O.T.A..and the picture quality is super....!
post #738 of 4345 Old 07-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Gummi,Is this your first HD television?????
post #739 of 4345 Old 07-05-2004, 03:38 PM

Yup, my very first. I just feel cable might be best because I would have to spend that much on Direct TV, then another few hundred on a O.T.A. antenna, and then and extra 10.99 a month just to recieve 4 HD channels on direct tv!?!

Are there any good O.T.A that aren't that expensive, my hdtv doesn't have a tuner, so I would have to buy one.
post #740 of 4345 Old 07-05-2004, 06:34 PM

yes,you can pickup a sammy 151 on ebay for $150.00
post #741 of 4345 Old 07-05-2004, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Gummi, it might be easier at first to get cable and cheaper, proably? Cable HD has alot of potential but having been a Crumcast customer for a number of years, I don't trust them not to mess up a good thing. I left Crumcast for Direc about a year and a half ago, so I haven't had their hi-def service.

I'm real pleased with Direc, atleast all the SD channels look good. When I was with Crumcast, all the channels under a 100 looked poorly. My favourite channel TCM was unwatchable. For the time being I think Direc + locals OTA are better and that includes paying the extra for the hi-def package. It may be small but it's a good package. It seems bigger to me since I also get HBO HD, I suppose?

If Crumcast gets a really great Hardrive box with firewire and more HD channels even I could get tempted to go back. For now Direc has a much better choice of equipment, a big point with me, even thogh I had to buy it.

I'm doubting that cable is gonna quick to embrace all the local subchannels that may, proably will pan out...? I'm real happy with my OTA and I have Firewire from my Samsung SIR-T165 for OTA to my D-VHS deck.

I'm happier and more satisfied with Direc than I was with cable. Think about all the factors. Per months Direc will proably be cheaper unless you have alot of extra outlets, in the long run...? Of course, times change, the pendelum could swing another way??? Someday???

Take a look at equipment and decide what you'd like to use and what you think would jive with your set well. I believe that even if I had cable again, I wouldn't want to give up my OTA reciever. OTA could really heat up or it may end up with too many shopping channels??? It's satisfying in a certain sense to be getting these digital signals without monthly charges, sort'a...

I hope Direc's HD package gets bigger, but the four are purr-dy darn good. Except for ESPN with commercials, the other 3 are like premium channels. Best wishes!

P.S. - what does the Joker say, "think about the future..."

post #742 of 4345 Old 07-08-2004, 09:15 AM

When will NBC start showing CONAN O'BRIAN?They sign off after JAY LENO'S show!ABC,CBS air the late late shows,why won't NBC?
post #743 of 4345 Old 07-09-2004, 05:05 PM

Does anyone know if UPN planes on broadcasting in HD instead of SD? If so 1080i or 720p? I hope they do, seeing movies that I would like to watch in HD and StarTrek being "listed" as broadcast in HD, but only in SD is killing me!
post #744 of 4345 Old 07-10-2004, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

PBS HD was on all night last night. Is this a first? It's a trend I hope.

post #745 of 4345 Old 07-13-2004, 02:53 PM

Hi All,

I need help toubleshooting a problem with my HDTV setup. Here is my story. I am using a Samsung SIR T-150 STB and a ChannelMaster 4221 UHF antenna in the attic. I live new Sea World and have a Princeton Graphics HDTV Monitor. I am currently receiving these channels with my setup: 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, 12-1, 12-2, 30-1,32-1,41-1,41-2,60-1. I'm listing these channels to demonstrate that there aren't any loose connects or wiring, or signal problems. I was getting KLRN channel 9-1 and 9-1 since they went on the air in May of 2003. I did NOT have a VHF antenna just the UHF and I got a strong picture on 9-1 and 9-2. Then in April of this year channel 9 suddenly disappeared and I have tried everything to get it back. I e-mailed KLRN and they have been nice about replying but said that I'm supposed to have a VHF antenna to get the signal. So is anyone out there getting KLRN with a UHF only antenna? Anyone have a Samsung T-150. I guess I'm trying to find out if anyone else receives KLRN OTA. Thanks for any help.

Sandy1202
post #746 of 4345 Old 07-13-2004, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sandy1202,

I am receiving 9-1,2,3,&4 with the 8" circular UHF antenna that came with one of my old TV sets. It's on the second floor of a metal-roofed house about 1 1/2 miles out Vance Jackson from Loop 410. I think I'm about 25 miles from the station. The famous Radio Shack double bow-tie antenna won't get it because in is more selective to UHF only.

Have you tried 8-1, etc? That's the channel KLRN actually uses for digital. If your T-150 isn't translating the channel correctly, you might get it there, instead.

Sherrill
post #747 of 4345 Old 07-13-2004, 05:32 PM

Sherrill,

THanks so much for responding. Can you tell me what model of STB you are using? I'm beginning to think that KLRN did something that is Samsung specific when you are using a UHF antenna. They told me that they have Samsung T-150 using a VHF antenna and are having no problem.

When I quit getting KLRN last April I wrote to KLRN and asked if they had messed with the PSIP settings and here was their response:

"Last week our PSIP inserter quit working (we think
this was related to a software "upgrade" that failed.) Absent a PSIP stream
defining our virtual channels (9.1 and 9.2) your tuner (we have a Samsung
T-150 too) should default to the "real" channel -- 8.1 and 8.2 but keep on
working. We have since resolved the PSIP problem and believe that things
should be back to normal. Whatever that is. Our broadcast activities (except for PSIP) have been pretty solid and we know of no real problems at this time."

Anyone out there using a Samsung T-150 with a UHF antenna that are getting KLRN?

Thanks,

Sandy1202
PS Sherrill...yes I am inputting channel 8. I re-ran 'memorize channels' when I was troubleshooting the problem and lost the 9-1 and 9-2 settings since I was no longer getting a signal. So, I had to manual input channel 8 to try to bring KLRN in. Thanks for the thought though.
post #748 of 4345 Old 07-13-2004, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Sandy,

I'm using a Zenith DTV-1080 which has been relegated to the bedroom since we got an HD DirecTivo in April. :<} Does the Samsung have separate inputs for UHF and VHF? If so, you would have to feed a signal into the VHF input even if it were from a UHF antenna.

Otherwise, try to think of anything you might have changed in April, even if it *shouldn't* have affected anything.

Also, did any new buildings or water towers go up near you at that time?

Sherrill
post #749 of 4345 Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 PM

Sandy,

I'm at a loss to explain why you have lost KLRN-DT. Only this afternoon we installed a new Samsung SIR-T351 and KLRN was the first station it locked onto. Curiously, we have only a UHF antenna on our DT test bed, monitoring with a Harris ARX-H200 - inside which, by the way, beats the Korean heart of Samsung Electronics! We put a combo antenna on the new Samsung so we could see KLRN and our other DTV brethren all at once.

We had no problems. All the advice you have been given is good, right down to punching in channel 8 in hopes the receiver will lock on. I know you're savvy enough to do all the basics first, and I say you did well. You could try an inexpensive VHF antenna on a combiner with your Channelmaster 4228; there may be a characteristic of the CM that does funny things at the low end of the spectrum, I don't know. There could be local RF interference in your neighborhood causing enough distortion to the KLRN signal to upset the bit error rate and in turn, your chances of receiving it.

By the way, when KLRN's PSIP generator quit, your SIR-T150 should have automatically mapped their channels to 8-1, 8-2, etc., just as the KLRN engineers suggest. I know them and they are competent, honest engineers. They wouldn't try to deceive you. With the knowledge most of us have about PSIP, how to code it and how to deploy it, it is not very likely we could deliberately change something that would affect only one kind of receiver. Several software upgrades ago, there were undocumented features in PSIP that could make a station invisible to viewers, but I thought we had fixed all that stuff over a year ago.

I'm stumped, but I'll make sure the code writers at Harris Broadcast and Triveni Digital have a look at your plight. Maybe they'll have a suggestion.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Yours in DTV,
Jerry Paonessa
Retired Video and RF Engineer

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research." - Albert Einstein

post #750 of 4345 Old 07-14-2004, 11:48 PM

Jerry,

Has anyone complained about the closed captioning not working correctly on KENS? I'm on TWC using an SA8000hd and the CC comes out scrambled a lot of the time but only on KENS. Most of the words are there but they'll be in a scrambled order. I've had 2 of these boxes and they both do the same thing.

Any suggestions?

jr
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page