San Antonio, TX - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4349 Old 07-09-2002, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jim,

I got into HDTV with my Sony 1251 that I picked up for $750. The point being you don't have to be well-off to get into HDTV (and I'm not).

JohnR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4349 Old 07-14-2002, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I finally got a temporary antenna connection to the attic up and running.
It's early in the afternoon, and I can't find WBIR-DT at all. I guess that may be that they transmit only during prime time? There is one strange thing, and that is I'm receiving a very clear picture from WATE-DT on channel 6-1 according to my receiver. I thought that the digital signal was supposed to be on channel 26. When I was setting up the receiver earlier today it indicated that a channel 26 was being received, but I can't find anything on channel 26. WATE-DT is on channel 6-1 according to my Panasonic TU-HDS20 receiver. I'll try again tonight, and see if it will pick up WBIR.
Larry
post #63 of 4349 Old 07-15-2002, 08:54 AM

FYI, readers: KENS-DT plans to resume streaming PSIP this week, probably Tuesday, July 16. This is to restore correct channel mapping and prepare for full PSIP operation, including a new EPG for KENS-DT 5-1. I probably don't have to ask for reception reports, they'll "stream" in - but please let me know how your receivers map the station (or how they do NOT map it) once PSIP is back in the mix. I'll add another message within the hour it is in the stream.

Yours in DTV,
Jerry Paonessa
Retired Video and RF Engineer

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research." - Albert Einstein

post #64 of 4349 Old 07-15-2002, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Realthogue,

That sounds great! I look forward to seeing streaming PSIP on KENS-DT. Hopefully my Dish 6000 will deal with this gracefully.

Everybody,

On a completely unrelated note, www.titantv.com claims that KWEX-DT is going live today. Has anyone seen hide or hair of digital Univision? If yes, I'm sure their engineers would appreciate reception reports.

Titan TV has been (charitably) unrealiable in listing predicted dates for start of service from various local broadcasters. If Titan TV can be believed, both Univision and Telemundo will be on the air by the 1st of August.

Jim

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #65 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 08:17 AM

Jim, I don't know anything about KWEX, but I will ask.

Meanwhile, KENS began streaming PSIP at 0840 today. So far, everything looks normal - but then, it has always looked normal, even when many viewers were muted by this action. Let me know what you see - or don't.

Yours in DTV,
Jerry Paonessa
Retired Video and RF Engineer

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research." - Albert Einstein

post #66 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

5-1 and 5-2 are coming in fine on my Zenith DTV-1080
post #67 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Last night I watched a few minutes of Everybody Loves Raymond on TWC channel 155, KENS-HD. A bit of a let down. The picture would go blank every so often, not during the commericals of course, but my main concern was the quality of the picture. While it was good, it didn't look any better than a average dvd on my Elite 510.

What does CBS broadcast in HD that really looks good? Maybe my 2000HD box needs to be upgraded. I'm perplexed because some of the stuff on HBO, like the Sopranos, looks fantastic.
post #68 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Larry,

Generally WBIR and WATE are just broadcasting during prime time on their digital tower. WATE has its digital signal at channel 26, but it does get remapped to 6-1 on many receivers. The digital signal has the ability to remap to a different channel number, so your analog channel and your digital channel end up in the list together. You should find that WBIR remaps to 10-1 also.

Sean Dudley
post #69 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone else had a problem receiving KMOL DT tonight. It seems that sometimes it's there and sometimes not. I do a manual add, and it finds 58 digital, maps 4-1, but then shows "no signal."
post #70 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sfmartin
Has anyone else had a problem receiving KMOL DT tonight. It seems that sometimes it's there and sometimes not. I do a manual add, and it finds 58 digital, maps 4-1, but then shows "no signal."

They've been off the air since the flood. I guess they're still working on getting to full power.

JohnR
post #71 of 4349 Old 07-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey Guys, Where is Sharps Ridge ? What kind of Antenna should I be using from say 50 miles away?
post #72 of 4349 Old 07-17-2002, 05:36 AM

Sharp's ridge is 3 or 4 miles north of downtown Knoxville. One of those antenna related web sites like Titantv or 100,000 watts.com should have the exact cooordinates or you can point your antenna in a generally due East direction. Since mine is in the attic of an old house with a tile roof I'm using a deep fringe UHF antenna. The newer UHF antenna say compatible with HDTV on the box. I bought mine from Shield's electronics in Knoxville.
I live in a very bad location for reception of any analog TV from Sharp's Ridge. It was impossible to get a good picture with any of the analog stations, but I'm getting a perfect HDTV picture on Channel 26-1 WATE-DT and channel 31-1 WBIR-DT. Unfortunately my STB doesn't have a signal strength meter for OTA so I don't know what my signal strength is, but it seems to be enough.
Larry
post #73 of 4349 Old 07-17-2002, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Eddie,

WBIR and WATE are currently just transmitting at half power (and only during prime time). I seriously doubt you will be able to pick the stations up in Crossville while they are at half power. At the end of the year when they are supposed to go to full power, you may be able to receive them.

Sean Dudley
post #74 of 4349 Old 07-23-2002, 07:59 AM

eGrady,

You say you were not impressed with the CBS signal from TWC. You may want to consider getting a UHF antenna and picking up all the local digital channels that way. You will be amazed at the difference. The OTA digital signal is at least 10 times more crisp and clear than the TWC feed you are watching, due mostly to compression of the cable signal. You don't need to spend a fortune on an antenna either (although I know some do). I spent about 35 bucks on the antenna and about the same amount on hardware to strap it on to my chimney and run the cable down to my STB.

Sleeps at Holiday Inn Express
post #75 of 4349 Old 07-23-2002, 08:07 AM

eGrady,

You say you were not impressed with the CBS signal from TWC. You may want to consider getting a UHF antenna and picking up all the local digital channels that way. You will be amazed at the difference. The OTA digital signal is at least 10 times more crisp and clear than the TWC feed you are watching, due mostly to compression of the cable signal. You don't need to spend a fortune on an antenna either (although I know some do). I spent about 35 bucks on the antenna and about the same amount on hardware to strap it on to my chimney and run the cable down to my STB.

post #76 of 4349 Old 07-23-2002, 08:15 AM

Oops! Sorry about the double post.

For the record, the streaming PSIP from KENS is coming in fine. I have program info now for KENS and KMOL. Have to wait until prime time to check KSAT.

What happened to the weather radar depiction on 5-2? It was great to have during the rain storms we had - heck, having the ol' UHF antenna and watching the local channels during the storm was great, since the signal was not coming through on the SAT during that time.

post #77 of 4349 Old 07-23-2002, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Deltoid,

I'm getting very tempeted to do what you suggest. If TWC doesn't improve the signal I'll have no choice.

To further complicate this mess last night I watched a few minutes of King of Queens. It looked marginal at best. But, when they showed a CBS commercial advertising their hdtv programming it looked wonderful. I wonder if King of Queens is upconverted ntsc?
post #78 of 4349 Old 07-23-2002, 09:20 AM

The TWC signal won't get better. They compress the heck out of the signal, and that's the way it will always be. You will be much happier with the antenna.

The commercial you see on CBS looks so awesome because the commercial was filmed using a High Def camera, not because of some sort of conversion or any other manipulation. It was simply shot with hi-def equipment. Just like the shows you watch on HDNet (if that is even available on TWC). The HD Net shows are all shot with hd gear.... very impressive!

post #79 of 4349 Old 08-03-2002, 06:21 AM

A couple of nights ago I noticed that Jay Leno was broadcast on WBIR-DT in 4X3 standard resolution. I wondered if someone had forgotten to throw a switch at the local station or if they had decided to stop passing through the HDTV signal.
Larry
post #80 of 4349 Old 08-08-2002, 06:48 PM

I have a Princeton Graphics AR3.2T and hooked up a Samsung T-150 last night. The version on the Samsung is 2.0 so I don't need to upgrade. I managed to find a RS double bow tie antenna and plugged it in. Right away I got 4-1 and 4-2 on the guide. I get a great picture on 4-1 but 'no signal' on 4-2. Later in the evening (while watching Jay Leno in HDTV WOW!)I could find 12-1 on the guide but 'no signal' came in. Everyone else that posted here has gotten KENS channel 5-1 just fine. I can't figure what's going on. It doesn't even show on the guide. What is on that channel and should I be seeing something there? Thanks for any help.
post #81 of 4349 Old 08-08-2002, 09:30 PM

Well, you may want to try looking for 55-1 and 55-2 - these are the other places that KENS can be found. I don't know a thing about your STB, but I suggest that during the the hours of 8-11 p.m. you search for 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, and 12-1 since these are the times you are most likely to see the stations turn on their digital signals.

Hey, REALTHOGUE, if you are out there...... why is it that KENS has dropped all programming for 5-2? Also, why is it that of all 3 networks, KENS is the only one that consistently breaks-up during a digital broadcast? I watch Leno all the time and it never breaks up; KSAT never breaks up either. But once again, during CSI (Love that show!) the program breaks up/stops multiple times. I have a signal strength of over 85% for all three stations! Any ideas?

Anyone else notice this? Anyone? Bueller?

post #82 of 4349 Old 08-09-2002, 12:18 PM

KENS is broadcasting at a lower power than the other two but I don't know if that's your problem since you get a high signal strength. Maybe you're getting a multipath from somewhere that cancels the signal occasionally.

I'm at Culebra outside of 410 and I get a weak signal from KENS but as long as it's over 50 it doesn't drop out.

JohnR
post #83 of 4349 Old 08-09-2002, 01:34 PM

No drop out at all? Amazing....

Like I said, I have well over 85% all the time on the meter. CSI (or whatever is on KENS) consistently breaks up - I'd say about 4 to 7 times per hour. Drop out of voice with a frozen picture, picture freeze with continuing voice, and freeze-up of picture and voice are the three conditions I experience, but only while watching KENS. Who knows, maybe I am getting some whacky interference. I tend to doubt it though - I have a LARGE UHF antenna on the roof with terrific line-of-site to the south where the antenna farm is. I live east of I-35, north of 1604, just off FM 3009 (Natural Bridge Caverns Road = FM 3009).

Hmmm....

post #84 of 4349 Old 08-09-2002, 03:54 PM

Deltoid..The Samsung 150 STB has a "Guide" feature that automatically searches for stations in your area. It found 4-1, 4-2 and 12-1. It didn't find 5-1 or 5-2. When I manually key in 58 (for channel 4) it automatically shows me 4-1 and 4-2. But when I key in 55 it doesn't show me anything.
I am about 32 miles from the towers, how far do you thing you are? I am getting 4-1 just fine but have terrible breakups on 12-1 in addition to it locking up the STB. I'm guessing that these are broadcaster problems but what do I do if that is the case? Thanks for any info.
post #85 of 4349 Old 08-09-2002, 07:18 PM

Does your STB have a way for you to see the signal strength, perhaps somewhere in the setup menu? You may want to check the strength of your signal. Remember, with digital, you either have the signal or you don't - no "snow" like analogue.

All three networks are broadcasting from the same antenna farm down in Elmendorf. I am 28 miles north of it, give or take. Since KENS has lower output, that may explain why you are not picking it up. Maybe the bow-tie arrangement you are using is not able to catch the signals. I would say that 32 miles is pushing the limits of a bow-tie. Not bad-mouthing bow-ties, but a normal UHF antenna (the old-fashioned, roof-top ones) are terrific. Good for up to 60 miles, plus they have "gain" which helps.

Good luck!

post #86 of 4349 Old 08-09-2002, 07:34 PM

Deltoid,

The STB has a bar graph that shows signal strength. The only channel I can check is channel 4-1 because channel 12-1 locks the STB and I can't use any of the keys. I am getting six bars on 4-1 and from all I read on the forums, this is very good reception for the Samsung. Other people in the forums say that with that strength they are getting all the channels. Today I hooked the STB to the hugh antennea I have in the attic. I got the same signal strength. I'm wondering if channel 5-1 broadcasts can be picked up on the Samsung.
post #87 of 4349 Old 08-10-2002, 07:54 AM

Sandy... Since I don't have the Samsung, I really do not know its capabilities. Perhaps Realthogue can shed some light on this....

post #88 of 4349 Old 08-10-2002, 08:32 AM

Realthogue,

I read your post of 16 July about KENS and PSIP. I'm wondering if this is my problem. I am using a Samsung 150 STB and as soon as I hooked it up to the RS double bow tie antenna, it mapped 4-1,4-1 and 12-1. I have no trouble whatsoever with 4-1. But my STB does not find CBS. It doesn't show 5-1 or 5-2 and manually inputting 55 does nothing. Do you have any ideas? Also, about 12-1. I get the picture and sound really good but there is a drop out about every 18 seconds and then it is back on. A strange thing about this that it will LOCK UP the STB solid. No buttons on the remote work nor will powering down or unplugging. I have discovered a work around for this is the power down and in the few seconds before it locks of the 12-1 signals I repeatedly press the channel up on the remote. If I do this really fast, I can switch channels before the STB locks and I'm frozen again. Interesting huh? Do you have any thoughts on these problems?
post #89 of 4349 Old 08-11-2002, 09:06 AM

Its 10:00AM on Sunday 11 August, I was getting channel 4-1 just fine until yesterday and now there is no data on the guide and no signal when I tune to that channel. Anyone else in San Antonio getting channel 4-1 right now or is it my receiver? Please tell me the station is not broadcasting.
post #90 of 4349 Old 08-11-2002, 10:00 AM

Well, if it is any consolation, I have no signal for NBC either. KENS is 100%, and KSAT is also off the air (digital, that is, which is normal for them since they only seem to turn it on during the evening).

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page