San Antonio, TX - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2002, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Deltoid!!! I have been fiddling with the antenna all morning. Thanks a lot...now I know it is the station. Really appreciate your posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 08:16 AM

Just installed by Hughes HDTV receiver. Now for an off the air antenna. For those of you that live in Knoxville what do you use/recommend. I live in Farragut about 17 miles from Sharp's Ridge. I can put it in my attic and if necessary use a signal amp. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

You will need a directional antenna. Point it directly at Sharp's Ridge. Keep in mind that ABC-DT and NBC-DT (the only digital stations on the air locally right now) are at half power until the end of the year. I live about 5 miles closer to the towers than you do, and had to raise my antenna an additional 10 feet or so to get a good signal. (I think my neighbors house was in the way, so I had to get over his house.) You may need to mount the antenna fairly high to get a good signal depending on your surroundings since they are at half power.

Good luck!

Sean Dudley
Old 08-12-2002, 04:20 PM

I use a standard Jensen HD antenna from Sears. Its sells for under $20 and I get both HD channels currently in Knoxville at 97% and 100% signal. Its about the size of a standard book with two extending antennas you can direct towards Sharps ridge.

Hey Sean Please post as soon as you start getting a CBS or FOX HD feed. I assume CBS is still slated for Nov 1st? How about FOX?
Fox will be channel?
CBS will be channel 30 right?

I hope CBS gets going because its a good chance some UT football games will be in HD like the Flordia game was last year.

Troy
Old 08-12-2002, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Troytn
Hey Sean Please post as soon as you start getting a CBS or FOX HD feed. I assume CBS is still slated for Nov 1st? How about FOX?
Fox will be channel?
CBS will be channel 30 right?

I hope CBS gets going because its a good chance some UT football games will be in HD like the Flordia game was last year.

Hi Troy,

The channel numbers and current "live" dates are:

CBS-DT (WVLT) - Channel 30 - Oct. 28th
FOX-DT (WTNZ) - Channel 34 - Aug. 30th

Sean
Old 08-14-2002, 10:54 AM

Anybody out there in the San Antonio area have a Samsung T-150 set top box? I was just wondering if you are having any problems receiving the big three stations. And, do you have an indoor or outdoor antenna?
Old 08-14-2002, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Deltoid,

I live out 1 1/2 miles outside 410 along Vance Jackson. I've had breakups on 5-1 since day one as you describe. Both before and after I installed a larger antenna. Very good signal strength doesn't seem to matter. Never any breakups on the other digitals. The problem could be in their feed from CBS.
Old 08-17-2002, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had a Sony XBR 450 set for over a year now and I want to see the HD off the air. Right now I'm living on a hilltop in West Hills in an apartment. If I went ahead and got a tuner box could I pick up ABC & NBC with just rabbit ears. BTW, I'm on the bottom floor.

I'm moving into a condo on a lane off Ginn Road, which is off Alcoa Hi-way, near Southgate Shopping Center, about the end of October. Then I'll really be serious about OTA reception. I'm worried about reception there. I won't be right next to any of those big ridges along the river, but they are between me and Sharp's Ridge. I won't be on a high spot. I'll be able to get an outdoor antenae but I'm worried that the woods behind my place, between me and Sharp's Ridge will cause a problem. I've been reading HDTV subjects here on the forum for several hours straight, and it seems that trees can interfere...?

I have no idea what tuner I'll get but I'm leaning towards getting DirecTV for SD satelite and watching HD off the air for now. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 08-17-2002, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Rachael,

I doubt you'd get very good reception on the bottom floor with rabbit ears. The digital towers are broadcasting at half power until the end of the year, and they are in the UHF spectrum. UHF signals are line of sight, so if anything is in the way you won't get the signal. I am about 10 miles further away from the towers than you are, and already had an antenna on the top of my house, but had to raise it about another 10 feet to get good solid reception.

I doubt the ridges along the river will be a problem since Sharp's Ridge is so high. The fact that they are broadcasting half power may make it difficult to get a good signal in Alcoa until after the end of the year, though.

Regarding the trees, they can certainly cause a problem with UHF. It's best if you can get your antenna above the trees. Don't know how feasable that is at your upcoming location, though.

I am not positive how the DirecTV system works in terms of tuning off-air signals. I have a Dish 6000 (from Dish Network) with an 8VSB tuner cartridge that plugs into it so I am able to tune the local channels through it. I would assume you can do something similar with the DirecTV stuff.

Good luck!

Sean Dudley
Old 08-17-2002, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply Sean! I won't be living in Alcoa, just right off Alcoa Hi-way in Knoxville, about 2 miles past U.T. Hospital. You must have driven there? Remember how big those hills are...? I'll actually be in the city because of strip annexation right along the hi-way. I am worried about those ridges. They are almost as high as Sharp's Ridge. I'll go look at the trees behind my rising structure. I am on a little rise and the trees are downhill from my the site of my soon to be back porch. I read the FCC reg's last night and I can have an antenae 12 feet above my roofline before the homeowners association has any grounds to protest it.

I'm considering getting a Samsung OTA tuner or a DirecTV hi-def box. I'll be reading the several HDTV forums more closely till move-in day comes. It ain't easy getting an HDTV signal. I do know one thing, I've had enough of "Crumcast's" crappy service and high prices. I'm divourcing Crumcast! Best wishes!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Old 08-19-2002, 08:21 AM

SFMartin,

Thanks for the info. I suspect they have a low power output here at KENS. Time for a phone call....

D

Sleeps at Holiday Inn Express
Old 08-19-2002, 12:56 PM

Hooked everything up and received my first OTA television program, Speed2, Alias and The Practice on ABC. I am using Directv as my satellite service with a Hughes HD Receiver. I have a Silver Sensor antenna in my attic (3rd level) and got a signal level of 100. Must admit that the picture from the HDNET channel on Directv is much clearer and sharper than the HD OTA picture from ABC. Wonder if this is because ABC is 720p while CBS & NBC are 1080i? I am going to try Jay Leno this evening.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:23 PM

Deltoid and SFMartin,
we have been looking into the occasional breakup in our HD service since day one, as you describe; the symptom we see here on a somewhat more sophisticated receiver is a total loss of RF signal for a second or so, then restoration to normal. I have personally observed a complete lockup of the video and loss of audio, however, without losing the RF. We are patiently awaiting a software upgrade from the manufacturer, but I can't be sure that alone will fix the issue. We are continuing to examine the problem, but so far the cause has not been something obvious.

Also Deltoid, we have put up the KENS SuperDoppler Radar on 5-2, with regular KENS audio. We put that on about a month ago, if memory serves - but in light of the breakup problems the 5-2 content has been a pretty minor issue.

Yours in DTV,
Jerry Paonessa
Retired Video and RF Engineer

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research." - Albert Einstein

Old 08-19-2002, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the info! I shall continue to be patient!

Sleeps at Holiday Inn Express
Old 08-21-2002, 07:40 PM

Strange thing..all this week my Sony HD100 is picking up 2 nbc hd channels. they are mapped as 10.1 and 10.2..10.1 is the standard 1080i prgram on NBC and 10.2 is the local NBC news and live at five replayed in 480i but its being transmitted on the digital signal.
Anyone getting this?
I am watching both a replay of Live at Five from 9pm to 10pm tonight d the regular 1080i NBC shows.
I guess they have means to broadcast two programs simultaniously...At first I thought 10.2 was cbs or fox..I'm Still waiting for them to go digital...

Troy
Old 08-21-2002, 11:40 PM

I get my first HDTV tomorrow (Hitachi 57SWX5720B). I live off Louisville road in Alcoa (near the SuperWalmart). I thought I would start getting ready for OTR broadcasts. Could some of you knowledgeable and experienced HDTV people recommend the best approach. I am pretty confused on both minimal antenna requirements and most versatile HDTV box for the future. I am about 12 to 15 miles from Sharp's Ridge. Should I wait until they are broadcasting in full power? Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Steve
Old 08-22-2002, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the antenna, just a regular directional antenna pointed towards Sharp's Ridge should do fine. No need to get a real fancy, expensive antenna. I'm not sure how good of signal strength you will get with the towers at half power. I am close to Cedar Bluff and get a good signal (about 70%).
Old 08-22-2002, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Troytn
Strange thing..all this week my Sony HD100 is picking up 2 nbc hd channels. they are mapped as 10.1 and 10.2..10.1 is the standard 1080i prgram on NBC and 10.2 is the local NBC news and live at five replayed in 480i but its being transmitted on the digital signal.
Anyone getting this?
I am watching both a replay of Live at Five from 9pm to 10pm tonight d the regular 1080i NBC shows.
I guess they have means to broadcast two programs simultaniously...At first I thought 10.2 was cbs or fox..I'm Still waiting for them to go digital...

NBC is multicasting, huh? I hadn't noticed this yet (haven't watched the Tonight Show in several days). I can only hope that they are not multicasting when they have HD content on 10.1, but from your message it sounds like they are. If they are, it will hurt the picture of the HD signal. I'll have to check this out tonight.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:36 PM

Just curious if I am the only one not getting KMOL 58 mapping to 04-01 on my 6000 model. KSAT 48 maps to 12-01 and KENS 55 maps to 05-01 and 05-02, but 58 remains 58. Appears that the rest of you see it on 04.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched the Tonight Show tonight and did notice that it isn't quite as crisp and clear now that WBIR is multicasting the news at 10-2. I do wish they would not multicast when they have HD material on 10-1. I sent them an email asking them to consider not multicasting when HD material is on, and can only hope they may implement this policy.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:58 AM

I stumbled across this thread today and its some of the best news I've read at AVS Forum.

Does anyone know the range of the DTV transmitters? I live in Madisonville and plan on putting up a 100" antenna up on the roof if that's what it takes. According to the data submitted to the FCC WATE-DT is supposed to have the strongest transmitter in the Knoxville area.

I sure hope NBC doesn't start multicasting, if so you can forget about a true HDTV picture. For 1080i broadcast you need the full 20 MB/s bandwidth. I think you can squeeze in one 480i broadcast with the 720p format though. It sounds like they are doing what FOX has done in other markets and transmitting (4) 480p signals which is basically progressive scan DVD quality.

I also found out today that PBS digital channel 17 is scheduled to begin transmission in May of 2003.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jamie,

I'm not quite sure how far Madisonville is, but I doubt you'll be able to pick them up well until the end of the year. I live close to Cedar Bluff which is about 15 or 20 miles away, and my signal is rather marginal. Most of the time I can get ABC & NBC fine, but sometimes if the atmospheric conditions aren't right, my signal lowers and I get some dropouts and pixilation. This happened to me some yesterday. The reason is that they are only broadcasting half power until the end of the year. So, I doubt you'll be able to pick them up well until the end of the year.

Regarding the multicasting, it is a bummer that they are multicasting during an HD broadcast. Certainly degrades the perfect picture I had on Leno before. Still looks good, but certainly not as good as it did, and I want the best darn HD picture I can get! I sent an email to WBIR in hopes that they will stop multicasting when an HD program is on.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:43 AM

I replaced my Radio Shack double bow-tie with a Channel Master 4221 antenna and I am now getting all three San Antonio digitals with my Samsung T-150. (KENS is about half the signal strength as the other two). I live just above Sea World a few blocks outside Loop 1604. I also notice the breakups on KENS but they don't seem to be as frequent in recent days. I appreciate all the help the forum and Realthogue have provided. It is soooo cool to watch the primetime HDTV shows. Thanks all.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:44 PM

Thank you for answering so soon Sean.

Madisonville is about 50 to 55 miles away "as the crow flys" from the transmitters on Sharps Ridge.

I am curious to know what type of antenna you are using and where it is mounted. Like I said before, I am planning to install a 100" Antennacraft AC9 antenna close to the roof of my house which is about 25 foot high.

Also you might want to check out titantv.com. You have to login, but that is used to determine your location. They have a digital TV guide and information about our area's digital tv that I found to be very helpful.

Jamie
Old 08-29-2002, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jamie,

My guess is that you'll be able to pick up the stations good once they go to full power but not before.

My antenna is mounted on my roof, and the mast is about 12 feet tall, so my antenna is about 25 feet off the ground or so. I use just a standard directional antenna and have it pointed straight at sharps ridge.

Thanks for the info about TitanTV. I already use that site, though.

Sean Dudley
Old 09-08-2002, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anybody have any idea whether WVLT-DT is on schedule for going on the air in Octbober or November this year. It would be great to be able to get the CBS primetime schedule, college football, and possible one or two UT football games in HDTV. I don't see any more antenna construction occuring on Sharp's Ridge so I'm naturally curious. I watched the new antenna go up that I assume WATE-DT is using. Does anyone know if WVLT is going to be using one of the existing antennas already on Sharp's Ridge or if there is supposed to be more construction going on.
The antennaweb.org site now shows the same compass heading for WVLT from my location (11degrees) as it does for WATE-DT whereas earlier it showed 15 or 16 degrees which is a little east of the new tower which just went up. This position slightly east of the WATE-DT transmitter is I assumed about where the present WVLT transmitter is located. I thought that WBIR-DT and WATE-DT were broadcasting from the same tower, but it shows different compass headings for them (11 degrees for WATE-DT and 16 degrees for WBIR-DT). I guess I'm just confused and curious.
Larry
Old 09-12-2002, 04:36 PM

Bump
Old 09-16-2002, 07:33 PM

Hey MY Sony HD100 is picking up OTA digital channel 23. It routed it to channel 54.1 on my Guide. The Channel is PAX, and its in 480i but on digital OTA channel 23. Can anyone explain this one? I was oping it was CBS or Fox. But still no CBS..Any news on CBS channel 30?
Yes NBC is still multicasting every night...
Is PBS still scheduled for next year channel 17?
All we need is CBS, Fox and PBS and KNoxville will be full HD!!!!

Looking forward to CBS more than all of them...

Anyone have any updates on these channels or explain the digital channel 23 for me?

Thanks - Troy

Troy
Old 09-16-2002, 09:53 PM

I noticed that Jay Leno Tonight Show is 4X3 SD and not HDTV. At least it was that way tonight. Is it going to be that way every night? Is it because someone forgot to throw a switch or it it because they are multicasting?
Larry
Old 09-18-2002, 12:19 PM

Called Directv and was told NO FREE trial period to see the locals.