3Likes

post #271 of 7371 Old 11-05-2003, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by PVRick
Wonder how this affects must-carry rules being debated, since there will be (theorectically) 5 or more HD channels in WNY at some point in the future (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX)

Are you sure the "must carry" rule applies to HD? I would think (for the time being) that carrying the SD locals would be good enough to satisfy the requirement, but this is opinion I have done no research on this whatsoever... I may be way off on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 7371 Old 11-05-2003, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pmb1010
When I called, they told me "next week" (so that would be Nov 3 on).
I'll pick up the box.

Well I stopped at one of their local offices to turn in one of my 3 digital converters (I get one for my summer patio room). I asked about picking up an HD box. Lady says "next month". I tell her that I called and they said now... well they don't have them yet.

I heard one of the other girls mention that the "boxes came in", but those were the Explorer 8000 DVR boxes, but they won't hand those out either till "next month".

Betcha Dec1 turns to Jan1...

I'd consider Voom but my view to 61.5 is blocked by trees. Now that D* has announced dumping Direct-net or whatever it's internet service is called, and they will be using that bandwith for future HD, maybe I'll take a serious look at that...
post #273 of 7371 Old 11-06-2003, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I have a Channel Master 4228, 7777 Pre-amp, and rotator all mounted on a chimney mount. Actually my second chimney mount, my first one bit the dust last month when we had those very strong winds. The pole ended up horizontal, but still attached. I bought two mounts since Radioshack was selling them for $.97 each.

Originally I had way to much mast, but now I've shortened it to under 10 feet, but the antenna, rotator, and pre-amp is a lot of weight. The 4228 ways almost 15 lbs alone. I don't think i'll make it through winter, especially if snow and ice start building up on it.

I'm hoping some other DIY people might elaborate on how they've weather proofed their installations. I'm think of maybe strengthing the installation with cables, but I'm unsure of how that is done.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Regards,
Frank
post #274 of 7371 Old 11-06-2003, 07:41 PM

We are in Amherst, Snyder and have the VU90XR Radio Shack Antenna. Other than the problems with CSI that everyone seems to have we get great HD.
I dont know if this will be of any help to you but I will try.

Quoted from installation guide for the radio shack rotor.
To install the antenna rotator, you need two separate masts -- a support mast for the drive motor and an antenna mast for the antenna itself. The support mast can be whatever length is appropriate. However, before you mount the antenna, cut the antenna mast using the following guidelines. If the antenna is:
...up to 5 feet long, the mast length should not exceed 5 feet
...between 5 and 8 feet long, the mast length should not exceed 3 feet
...over 8 feet long, the mast length should not exceed 2 feet
....over 8 feet long with braces, cut the antenna mast 12 inches below the point where you attach the braces to the mast

If you mount 2 antennas to the mast, the mast length should not exceed 4 feet. Mount the small antenna on top of the mast and the larger antenna 12 inches from the bottom of the mast.

As far as putting guide wires on it....
They would go on the portion of the mast used for the support. Below the rotator.
post #275 of 7371 Old 11-07-2003, 07:26 AM

That's the exact set-up I'm looking into getting.
Can you give me any feed back on if you're able to tune in any Rochester (ABC) or any Erie or Toronto signals??
I am using a Radio Shack indoor antenna (older version of 15-1838) and can get 90-100 signal for all three Buffalo stations with it just setting on top of my STB.

For your antenna problem, is it the mast that is bending or the chimney mounts failing?
The 4228 looks to have some wind resistance. I don't have much experience with a chimney mount, but favor a heavy duty tripod mounted to the roof peak.
post #276 of 7371 Old 11-08-2003, 01:39 PM

I would be surprised if anyone can get Rochester ABC from the Buffalo area. It is a weak signal for me and I am on the Monroe, Orleans county line. I have a decent antenna/pre-amp and get CBS and NBC with 100%+ signal streangth.

I really wish the CSI issue would get resolved!

Samsung TS160 chokes on almost all the CG scenes.
post #277 of 7371 Old 11-08-2003, 07:11 PM

Liked: 14
It looks like all the Samsung units as you say "CHOKE" on both CSI shows.
At first I thought it was multipath but then I noticed it only happens during CSI and works great during all other programming. Now what I'm curious to know if this is a problem with the equipment used by WIVB that affects Samsung Recievers or is it a Firmware problem with Samsung?? Does this happen with other CBS affiliates with CSI?
post #278 of 7371 Old 11-08-2003, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sprocto4
I would be surprised if anyone can get Rochester ABC from the Buffalo area. It is a weak signal for me and I am on the Monroe, Orleans county line. I have a decent antenna/pre-amp and get CBS and NBC with 100%+ signal streangth.

I'm in 14120, and got a lock on, and did view the Rochester NBC and PBS stations, one time around midnight when experimenting. Conditions were favorable at the time. I cannot get them normally. The stations in Rochester are not up to full output power (as is Ch43 in Buffalo - only 1/2 power).

There is another thread here, search for "Buffalo" with a lot of posts and more specific information to our area.
post #279 of 7371 Old 11-09-2003, 08:59 AM

clight385 and BetteH, thanks...

Yesterday I mounted the bottom of the pole to the roof, as well as using the chimney mount and that really seemed to strengthen it. Its a whole leverage thing, my pole must have been forty pounds with over 10 feet mast, pre-amp, rotator, antenna... I thought:

"Higher is better"
"Higher is better"

and the whole thing ended up sideways as the chimney mounts turned.
THANKS...
The channel master 4228, 777x preamp, and rotator is a great setup. Its certainly better then my previous setup using a RadioShack UHF antenna and no preamp, but then again I spent hundreds of dollars... and for me, the Radioshack unit worked fine for local stations..

My goal in upgrading was to get Toronto and Rochester. However, I've only tried to get Rochester's ABC station so far, with no luck. The Rochester ABC station (and all of their HD channels) broadcast from the EAST hills of Rochester. I was hoping to get Monday Night Football....Damn that WKBW.

Has anyone in the Buffalo area been able to get Erie/Toronto HD?
post #280 of 7371 Old 11-09-2003, 09:39 AM

"chimney mounts turned"???
Isn't this strapped to your chimney? I don't understand how it could get "sideways". Oh well, keep working on it.

As far as reception:
Rochester ABC has eluded me, too.
Toronto (ch66 and 53) - I have not been able to get them.
They run VERY low power (see the link for CA stations, and their power output):

http://www.globalserve.net/~hepburnw.../tv-can.htm#41

Here is a good msg website that deals with Canada HDTV:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ee62f3d58b87cc
post #281 of 7371 Old 11-09-2003, 06:11 PM

Liked: 14
Those Toronto stations will be increasing their power sometime next year to full output, plus several more Toronto DT stations should sign-on in 2004 as well.
post #282 of 7371 Old 11-16-2003, 09:27 PM

There was no CBS HD on WIVB in Buffalo, Sunday night, 11/16/03, for two basic reasons

1 - CBS network has only ONE HD stream
2 - the CBS HD football game NOT carried in Buffalo went 12 minutes over

The problem was that local stations are obligated by CBS to broadcast the same programming in HD as SD.

Ergo, with no HD football game to broadcast Buffalo got the CBS SD feed on schedule and was obligated to run that on their HD channel.

The HD feeds for COLD CASE and the two hour CSI were available to WIVB -- albeit 12 minutes delayed -- but they could not broadcast it as per their agreement with CBS

This has happened in one form or another on EVERY Sunday night since football season started and it's pretty annoying.

Perhaps CBS should expand it's leadership in HD with another HD stream to prevent problems like this or AT LEAST amend the agreement with their local stations
so they can use the HD feed in situations like this.

I must say I was really pleased to get the straight answer from someone is a position to know.

Would that all broadcasters were so forthcoming.

The HD transition is hard enough without pissing us, the viewers, off by not addressing our complaints. Hey, we're not heartless out here -- we just want to help the cause of HD.

Best,

Greg
post #283 of 7371 Old 11-25-2003, 03:09 PM

I just spoke to someone who has an Adelphia STB for HDTV. He gets NBC, CBS, PBS, Showtime and HBO in HD. So Adelphia has increased their channel offerings from 3 to 5.

the box cost him $4 more per month.
post #284 of 7371 Old 11-25-2003, 04:05 PM

And I'm one of them...
I retired my month old SIR-T165 when I got this box.

CBS's CSI *still* breaks up on graphic red scenes.
It's the station, or the feed. At least I know it's not my stuff.

CSR on the phone said that CinemaxHD due to be added "real soon".
[EDIT] - Cinemax is now showing up as a channel, but I get "not authorized" when attemting to go there.

Now that Adelphia has announced yet *another* increase (on top of the one that just happened last month)... I might be moving on to E*.
I can get new 811HD OTA and E* receiver, and 301 type 2nd room receiver, for free. And 4 months of reduced rate programming while requiring a 1 year commitment.
post #285 of 7371 Old 11-28-2003, 11:00 PM

hey all you o/a dtvers. im in lockport and in the antenna satellite business for 25 years. if ya got problems receiving channels let me know. i know i've worked on a few peoples systems on this list. B.T.W. i can receive buffalo,rochester, erie, syracuse, watertown,pittsburgh,cleveland,detroit and others on my o/a dtv system. if ya want some tips e-mail me. if ya need some super equipment cheap e-mail me . if ya wanna just talk about antenna choices, receiver choices e-mail me. you guys with radio shack stuff!!! take it down and use it for a tie rack or clothes pole. They are not even a wind tested antenna let alone a gain or speced out antenna. ive got some super hot preamps and antennas and im designing another uhf parabloic like those that were discontinued by numerous antenna companies some years ago. So hey this is a cool forum. Wanna know more about tv dxing in general i can help you. their is a club that im a member of that simply caters to nothing but tv reception and everything to do with it.
ok ive said my piece. how about some chatter out there you w.n.y ers
post #286 of 7371 Old 11-28-2003, 11:17 PM

which Watertown digital station can you claim to have received?
post #287 of 7371 Old 11-28-2003, 11:18 PM

hey Rich the antennaman, I am just south of Buffalo (Hamburg actually) I could use a few suggestions for an OTA Hd antenna. I just a cheap Radio Shack in the attic now. I can only rec wgrz and wned once in a while I get wivb. I would like to get ABC in HD. Any chance that I can pull a good signal in from Rochester or Erie? You can email me at echo4747@aol.com
Thanks

B&K AVR-307
onix rockets 750's',300's,200
Paradigm sub
Sharp XV-Z12000
Denon DVD 2900 univ plyr
samsung sir-t165
htpc (in progress)
post #288 of 7371 Old 11-29-2003, 02:55 PM

Quote:

B.T.W. i can receive buffalo,rochester, erie, syracuse, watertown,pittsburgh,cleveland,detroit and others on my o/a dtv system.

I'm in the Niagara area and I've picked up cleveland abc 5 and rochester pbs 21 in the summer time during some strange weather.

rwantennasat, what can you receive right now?

Using my sammy 151 I have:
WNED 9 bars
WGRZ 3 bars
WIVB 5 bars

And that's it.
post #289 of 7371 Old 11-29-2003, 08:02 PM

ok im sure their are alot of non believers out there. So for the member who asked what watertown chs ive watched. Ch 21 wwti and ch 35wwny they are actually in Carthage. Now i dont claim to see these 24/7. Conditions have to be right to see them Primarily their need to be some inversion going on to get alot of these. I can normally( no matter the weather) see the rochesters and some erie chs. plus all the buffalo's. Also someone was talkin about Toronto digitals??Nothing is on in Toronto but a test ch 66 which is barely watchable from toronto. The Following is the list of proposed digitals for canada that i have. No definite dates given for comming on the air. But expect Toronto to be the first Canadian to have dtv.
Toronto
CBCT -20
CBLFT-24 french
CFTO- 40
CKXT -66
HAmilton
CKXT - 15
CITS -21
To the guy living in HAmburg with antenna in attic. That is a no no. You need as much line of site as possibe. And i reccomend a winegard yagi with a good winegard uhf preamp about 29 db gain. You probably need a rotor as well because 2-4-7 are in colden and 17-29 are on Grand island. As far as getting abc from Rochester. Unless your running a parabolic dish as i am you'll probably never see Rochester. Especially abc because wokr 13 or 59-1 digital is one of the weaker ones out of Chester. However being in Hamburg you might ocassionally see
Wjet abc out of erie. They are on ch 58-1 . all the eries seem about the same for power level. Although im sure they aren't. If you had a big yagi mounted outside or a 4 bay or something with an amp and a rotor you'll probably get erie on good nights. Im in a club where we dx distant stations on tv. Ive got some friends that have caught 700 mile catches of DTV under the right conditions using systems I've reccomended. If anyof you guys care to e-mail me direct you can at: rwantsat@localnet.com Or you can call my shop at 716-434-9216 Id be glad to talk with ya, offer ideas, design you a killer system whatever. We all need to keep in mind that these dtv o/a stations are all running flea power. So antennas in attics /terk junk antennas/rabbit ears/ etc aint gonna cut the mustard But im here tpo help and guide you. im very good at what i do and Id be glad to help anyone on this list.
Rich
post #290 of 7371 Old 11-29-2003, 08:26 PM

another thing i wanted to mention. I have found out that the sr-ti50 has a very poor recieve compared to other receivers out there The 151 is a little better but still lacks alot on receive quality. im running a zenith hdv-420 which is really decent as far as set top boxes go. But i've seen some really spectactular signals on the Win dtv card for computer.
post #291 of 7371 Old 12-04-2003, 06:43 AM

Did anyone else loose 33-1 last night (DEC 3)?

Before it 'went out' 33-2 came in with weather radar.
Is channel 2 making HDTV changes?
post #292 of 7371 Old 12-04-2003, 09:07 AM

YES, I lost WGRZ 33-1 last night -- 12/3/03 -- until just before 9 pm and THE WEST WING.

Called the station and they admitted to "transmitter problems,"

I hadn't noticed any thing on 33-2 but then my Samsung SIR-165 seems to have problems with adding new stations.
post #293 of 7371 Old 12-04-2003, 10:15 AM

rw,
used to live in the north country (Potsdam) so I was wondering just what Watertown TV because back then there was only a PBS station.

My ratshack antennas have picked up Detroit, Toledo, and Erie (analog) stations during certain weather over Lake Erie, probably ducting due to inversions, so I don't doubt if you're close enough to Lake Ontario that you could snag similar. You're probably familiar with this site http://www.oldtvguides.com/DXPhotos/ which has lots o' links to more TV DX.

When skip starts making Ch 17 on cable get "shimmery" I know there's a good chance of TVDX so I switch to the antenna and start hunting.

Drifting OT, do you have any experience with DTV cards for PC? I have the HiDTV card, which does decent digital and has good recording capabilities but unstable software and has been orphaned by the original US importer (though a new dude is importing it, he ignores my emails inquiring about support, and my Korean is insufficient to deal with the factory). I want a reliable and supported card before the broadcast flag mess goes into effect.

Re: antennae, I have rotator but it's a pain, I could really get by with 1 antenna pointed at Grand Island and another towards Colden, but how to bring those 2 signals together -- and make it possible to use the PC for hands-off scheduled recording. If I just sum the two signals I'll probably get multipath from the "other" one, right? And this card does not get along with multipath, I have to aim the antenna pretty carefully to get a good signal lock. Plus with analog not going away soon, reflections from downtown Buffalo buildings make multipath from Grand Island a problem. Ideas? PM me if this is getting too far OT.
post #294 of 7371 Old 12-04-2003, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dsspredator
Did anyone else loose 33-1 last night (DEC 3)?

Before it 'went out' 33-2 came in with weather radar.
Is channel 2 making HDTV changes?

Sad to see 'GRZ deciding to copycat 4 and put up a radar subchannel, stealing bits from their otherwise glorious primary channel. How many weather radars do we need anyway?

Anyone taking bets on how long before they decide to Weather-Channel-ize and put ads on the radar channel, making you sit and watch for n minutes before you see radar? Whatever happened to the public service component of the broadcast license? Oh, I forgot, that went out in the Reagan administration.
post #295 of 7371 Old 12-04-2003, 10:37 AM

STEALING BANDWIDTH IN BUFFALO

I've been reading that NBC and ABC networks are planning/plotting to set up 24 hour news channels for their affiliates to run on their "other" DTV channels.

Perhaps this is just going to be the networked owned stations IE NOT Buffalo or perhaps it's yet another global bandwidth land-grab for quantity at the expense of quality.

RE: Buffalo -- it would be most annoying if WKBW comes last to the HD party
but arrives with a weather channel AND a 24 hours news channel to reduce the quality of ABC's High Definition which, from what I've seen in other cities, is already
inferior to CBS and NBC.

Is the fact that ABC is 720 P going to help or hinder in that situation.

Does anybody have any answers / thoughts.
post #296 of 7371 Old 12-04-2003, 02:20 PM

The weather radar is now gone and
33-1 is back on the air.

Quote:

NBC and ABC networks are planning/plotting to set up 24 hour news channels

Actually, I would not mind CNBC or MSNBC as subchannels.
As soon as FOX, WB and ABC are live I'm dropping cable!
post #297 of 7371 Old 12-05-2003, 09:28 AM

Picture and audio quality are not a consideration at the vast majority of commercial broadcasters, at least not anymore - there was a time when "broadcast quality" had meaning but now that the licensees are leveraged to the max and beyond, there's little that matters to station managers other than cash flow. With a monopoly on distribution of their product (market area exclusivity) there's no competition.

Most of these folks are disinterested in DTV other than as an opportunity to multiplex more programming onto their spectrum slice, i.e. sell more ad time using the same resources. If the idea is revenue generation, it makes business sense. Quality enters the equation in only a regulatory sense. Gee I wish the business I work in could command a monopoly ...

It's kind of sad, to think of the potential (and you can see that potential realized in other cities) squandered by stations like Ch 7.

Long term, DBS (your HDNets et al) will probably be the venue for "enthusiasts" except in the high-tech neighborhoods (central NC's WRAL comes to mind) because as we already see, the lowest common denominator programming comes to prevail in the ad-supported market and those who value their time either pay extra for quality (HBO, DVD) or use technology to bypass the drivel (RTV, TIVO).
post #298 of 7371 Old 12-06-2003, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PVRick
rw,
used to live in the north country (Potsdam) so I was wondering just what Watertown TV because back then there was only a PBS station.

My ratshack antennas have picked up Detroit, Toledo, and Erie (analog) stations during certain weather over Lake Erie, probably ducting due to inversions, so I don't doubt if you're close enough to Lake Ontario that you could snag similar. You're probably familiar with this site http://www.oldtvguides.com/DXPhotos/ which has lots o' links to more TV DX.

When skip starts making Ch 17 on cable get "shimmery" I know there's a good chance of TVDX so I switch to the antenna and start hunting.

Drifting OT, do you have any experience with DTV cards for PC? I have the HiDTV card, which does decent digital and has good recording capabilities but unstable software and has been orphaned by the original US importer (though a new dude is importing it, he ignores my emails inquiring about support, and my Korean is insufficient to deal with the factory). I want a reliable and supported card before the broadcast flag mess goes into effect.

Hi Pv rick
the watertowns ive watched are abc and another Wnny carthage on35dt and wwti on 21dt.the pbs up there isn't on yet i dont think.
Yes that website address is of Jeff Kadets. He is a member of THe Worldwide Tv FM Dxing assoc. As am I .I've been a member since 1979. ya wanna really see some neat stuff like dtv signals from 700 miles away go to www.wtfda.com have a look around there awhile. My friend Guy has the pci card but think he has the windtv card you can ask him about his if ya want. His works great. He is at GFalsetti@adelphia.net just tell him Rich sent ya. alot of guys in the wtfda club are running cards with great results.
Rich

Re: antennae, I have rotator but it's a pain, I could really get by with 1 antenna pointed at Grand Island and another towards Colden, but how to bring those 2 signals together -- and make it possible to use the PC for hands-off scheduled recording. If I just sum the two signals I'll probably get multipath from the "other" one, right? And this card does not get along with multipath, I have to aim the antenna pretty carefully to get a good signal lock. Plus with analog not going away soon, reflections from downtown Buffalo buildings make multipath from Grand Island a problem. Ideas? PM me if this is getting too far OT.

post #299 of 7371 Old 12-11-2003, 07:20 PM

Just a note:
During the week in the afternoon a few days this week i noticed (as well as many of my commercial accounts did) that wkbw ch 7 was off the air or at reduced power. Im assuming they were taking advantage of the better weather to get they're new digital antenna up on the tower. they usually dont like throwing 100,000 watts into the installers up top so the shut it down during work.
I do know that work has been going on in colden in the past few weeks , so keepyour eyes out for ch 38 to be testing soon. The FCC gave them till years end to get it up and on or start paying fines???
post #300 of 7371 Old 12-12-2003, 10:10 AM

WHAT UP' with WGRZ's GREY BARS and the WIVB sound and lack of sub chans?

When did WGRZ start generating a gray pillarbox on their upconverts? I just noticed 12/11/03 as I noticed that ER was NOT in HD.

I rather like the gray bars as my system can't generate them on HD chans and we all fear the dreaded burn-in . . . but NBC does seem to have the worst record when it comes to fogetting to thru the HD switch.

Our friends at WIVB were up to old and new tricks;

CSI had sound break-up thru out and the sub chans were not on prompting my SIR-165 to show me a new screen message "NO AV." Does anyone know what that means?

ALSO, Sunday night 12/7/03 I got PHENOMINAL OTA reception -- HD has never looked so good. Now it's back to just good. What was that? Weather conditions?

Does anyone have any other news on any of this or any further news on WKBW-HD?

Thanks,

Greg
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page