1Likes

post #6631 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Toronto is too close to WNY.
There is no shortage of other hockey games on CBLT on the weekend.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6632 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Directv so i am good. However, here is a way to watch the game.

go to this website: http://atdhenet.tv/

Scroll down and click on the sabres game. you can watch the game from this website. It is completly free and you do not need to install anything. It just starts playing. You can view it on your computer then hook up a hdmi cable from laptop to lcd tv or use the monitor output on the laptop/desktop then hook up the other end to the lcd tv. You can view the image on the computer screen on your LCd tv. I used this for the bills black out games. If that site is slow or down try this one.

http://www.firstrow.tv/sport/ice-hockey.html
post #6633 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Or go to the Free Sabres Viewing Party at First Niagara Center.
post #6634 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

Or go to the Free Sabres Viewing Party at First Niagara Center.

i hear ya but many people do not want to drive to the arena even if it free. i bet they still will not let you bring in food so they can charge $8 for a beer and $5 for a coke
post #6635 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUCCO View Post

i hear ya but many people do not want to drive to the arena even if it free. i bet they still will not let you bring in food so they can charge $8 for a beer and $5 for a coke

If you go to http://www.facebook.com/FirstNiagaraCenter you will see in the newest post their food & drink specials for tonight.
post #6636 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Toronto is too close to WNY.
There is no shortage of other hockey games on CBLT on the weekend.

So long as you are a Maple Leafs fan...
post #6637 of 7341 Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 PM

Location: Toronto, ON, CAN (7 million that don't count in Buffalo, NY DMA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by father-o-four View Post

I figured as much, my hope was a Canadian OTA channel carried the games for fans there.

Back in the 70s and 80s, Sabres games were available OTA. They moved around - I think WKBW had them, then WUTV, then it moved to 49 (wasn't WNYO yet IIR) before leaving the airwaves. Back then, the Sabres had a HUGE following in Southern Ontario due to the reach of the Buffalo OTA station that carried them, especially since they had the French Connection and the Leafs sucked (some things never change! ). Canadians never had Empire Sports or MSG on cable, so the next generation of Southern Ontario Sabre fans never materialized.

Nowadays, if someone from Southern Ontario goes to a Sabres game, they're more likely to cheer for the road team.
post #6638 of 7341 Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i hear ya but many people do not want to drive to the arena even if it free.

Gee, living in suburbia and don't like to drive??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #6639 of 7341 Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM

No I go to.7-8 games a year. Just figure a lit of people would rather stay home and watch it
post #6640 of 7341 Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico View Post

Back in the 70s and 80s, Sabres games were available OTA. They moved around - I think WKBW had them, then WUTV, then it moved to 49 (wasn't WNYO yet IIR) before leaving the airwaves. Back then, the Sabres had a HUGE following in Southern Ontario due to the reach of the Buffalo OTA station that carried them, especially since they had the French Connection and the Leafs sucked (some things never change! ). Canadians never had Empire Sports or MSG on cable, so the next generation of Southern Ontario Sabre fans never materialized.

Nowadays, if someone from Southern Ontario goes to a Sabres game, they're more likely to cheer for the road team.

I agree, seems with the new digital subchannels the sabres would entertain the thought of signing with local OTA to expose themselves to southern ontario fans via OTA. Probably would be less lucrative but MSG is a nightmare. My prediction is that Pegula will execute an out clause if there is one.
post #6641 of 7341 Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 PM

If you believe what Ted Black has been saying on WGR the past couple weeks, there isn't an out clause.

Everyone wants to point at MSG for this, and they definitely deserve some blame, but DirecTV was in the same boat a couple of years ago, and they got a deal done. I highly doubt that they're trying to give Time Warner the shaft compared to DirecTV. However, DirecTV is very popular with sports fans because it's the only provider that has the NFL Sunday ticket and all the other leagues as well. Sports seems to be a higher priority for them than other providers.
post #6642 of 7341 Old 01-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowenap View Post

If you believe what Ted Black has been saying on WGR the past couple weeks, there isn't an out clause.

Everyone wants to point at MSG for this, and they definitely deserve some blame, but DirecTV was in the same boat a couple of years ago, and they got a deal done. I highly doubt that they're trying to give Time Warner the shaft compared to DirecTV. However, DirecTV is very popular with sports fans because it's the only provider that has the NFL Sunday ticket and all the other leagues as well. Sports seems to be a higher priority for them than other providers.

The content providers (like MSG) do this constantly.

Wasn't it just 2 years ago VS. did the same with D* and we almost missed the NHL playoffs!!??

It was the same finger pointing BS...."they want a 300% price increase"..... "NO, we're only asking them to pay what everyone else pays"...... etc.

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #6643 of 7341 Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Liked: 12
CBC program info is back....finally

OTA with free HD is the only way I watch TV
post #6644 of 7341 Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

el gran chico posted that CKVR out of Barrie Ont. has been granted two 'repeaters' in Southern Ontario.
Programming will be secondary CTV material.
Quote:
1. The Commission received applications by Bell Media Inc. (Bell Media) to amend the broadcasting licence for .............. CKVR-DT Barrie in order to add two new digital transmitters to serve the areas of Burlington, Fonthill, Fort Erie, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Oakville and Welland, Ontario.

2. The transmitter serving Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville would operate on channel 35 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 10,500 watts (maximum ERP of 25,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) of 248 metres). The transmitter serving Fonthill, Fort Erie, Niagara Falls, St. Catharines and Welland would operate on channel 42 with an average ERP of 1,340 watts (maximum ERP of 5,000 watts with an EHAAT of 146 metres).

6. CKVR-DT, as part of the A-Channel station lineup, has recently been rebranded into a “CTV Two” station, which Bell Media uses as an additional window to feature first-run, premium programming.

Why two so close together is beyond me. Wonder how long this will take?

With the additional of CIII & CICA in HD, there are a surprising number of decent programs & movies available, not just duplicates of American programming.

post #6645 of 7341 Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 14
Another OTA channel for the Buffalo market.
post #6646 of 7341 Old 01-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

el gran chico posted that CKVR out of Barrie Ont. has been granted two 'repeaters' in Southern Ontario.
Programming will be secondary CTV material.Why two so close together is beyond me. Wonder how long this will take?

With the additional of CIII & CICA in HD, there are a surprising number of decent programs & movies available, not just duplicates of American programming.

From what I understand, there is a boatload of secondary American programming on CTV2 as well.
post #6647 of 7341 Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKVR-DT

post #6648 of 7341 Old 01-27-2012, 06:53 AM

That Fonthill transmitter will be only 23 miles as the crow flies from downtown Buffalo.
post #6649 of 7341 Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM

From doing some reading on other sites, it sounds like neither of those repeaters have digital transmitters at the current time, and it is unknown whether or not they will get them. It is believed that the real "strategy" for the repeaters is that having the transmitters there will give the station "simsub" rights on certain programming that is also shown on the US Networks. I don't know too much about how that works, though.
post #6650 of 7341 Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM

They will be digital transmitters. When they will be completed and operational is unknown at this time. I can't see them waiting too long
post #6651 of 7341 Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 AM

What happened to WUTV's network HD?
House was WS 4:3 last night.
post #6652 of 7341 Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsspredator View Post

What happened to WUTV's network HD?
House was WS 4:3 last night.

They returned to HD around 8:33 tonight. But my HD content was window-boxed 16:9 not 4:3.
post #6653 of 7341 Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 AM

Sorry, I meant it was letter boxed in a 4:3 broadcast.
post #6654 of 7341 Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM

I need to use an antenna for the next week while I wait for my D* to get hooked up again.

I'm using a Radio Shack 15-1878 that I had sitting around, but can only get 23.1, 29.1, and 29.2 (My siding is probably not helping at all)

I'd really like to get WGR, WIVB or WKBW to at least watch the news. (I've tried 33.1, 38.1 & 39.1)

Question: Should I be playing around with rabbit ears or the loop for these??

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #6655 of 7341 Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post

I need to use an antenna for the next week while I wait for my D* to get hooked up again.

I'm using a Radio Shack 15-1878 that I had sitting around, but can only get 23.1, 29.1, and 29.2 (My siding is probably not helping at all)

I'd really like to get WGR, WIVB or WKBW to at least watch the news. (I've tried 33.1, 38.1 & 39.1)

All of the buffalo Locals are on UHF as far as i know so you should play with the loop so you can make WIVB or WKBW come in. Your right about the siding it's not going to help you make WIVB or WKBW come in. If you type your address into www.antennaweb.org you can see a map of what directions the locals are coming from so you can aim your antenna properly.
post #6656 of 7341 Old 02-01-2012, 02:24 PM

If you're in Williamsville, you shouldn't have a problem getting at least one of the big 3 with an indoor antenna. I'm getting 2 and 4 with an indoor antenna in the basement. I also find it strange you don't get WNED 17.1. I can get it with a paper clip. If you have a different indoor antenna, no matter how simple, I'd say give it a try.
post #6657 of 7341 Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

All of the buffalo Locals are on UHF as far as i know so you should play with the loop so you can make WIVB or WKBW come in. Your right about the siding it's not going to help you make WIVB or WKBW come in. If you type your address into www.antennaweb.org you can see a map of what directions the locals are coming from so you can aim your antenna properly.

I tried a few more positions, without luck. While I was moving it back to it's initial position so that I could at least get 29, I saw WGR flicker for a second.

Unfortunately, the antenna is right in front of the TV, but I'm afraid to move it an inch.

(If I had another antenna, I'd definitely try it....I briefly had one a few years ago that I'd ordered for a friend and it worked much better with almost no effort.)

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #6658 of 7341 Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried a few more positions, without luck. While I was moving it back to it's initial position so that I could at least get 29, I saw WGR flicker for a second.

Unfortunately, the antenna is right in front of the TV, but I'm afraid to move it an inch.

(If I had another antenna, I'd definitely try it....I briefly had one a few years ago that I'd ordered for a friend and it worked much better with almost no effort.)

Maybe you need an amplified antenna to get the other local channels. Before i got cable in 2009 i used an amplified indoors antenna & all the channels came in the strongest when i put the antenna next to a window. You should try moving the antenna closer to a window & see if that helps. If that doesn't work try an amplifier.
post #6659 of 7341 Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Unless you want to get 67 (physical 7), all local stations are UHF, not VHF.

I only watch TV using rabbit ears. I live in Amherst, probably west of your location. Half of my house is brick, the other half is sided.

Some suggestions:
- Since they are unnecessary, lower the rabbit ears
- Adjust by turning the antenna. Turn slowly and wait (I find it takes a few seconds to adjust to the new antenna location)
- 2, 4, 7 are to the South or Southeast of your location. Try getting the antenna near a window - a Southern window is preferred. But, I have received 2, 4, 7 in the sided portion of the house far from a window.
- Move the wires from the antenna to the TV to be away from any electric wire. Moving the wires twice as far apart will give one quarter as much interference. A few inches of separation is good. Touching is bad.

I receive the best signal in the sided part of the house far from the windows when I am careful of the positions of the wires.

I find 23, 29, 17 to be the strongest followed by 2 & 4 with 7 close behind. 49 is the weakest but I can receive 49 except in a heavy rain.
post #6660 of 7341 Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dmk View Post

Unless you want to get 67 (physical 7), all local stations are UHF, not VHF.

I only watch TV using rabbit ears. I live in Amherst, probably west of your location. Half of my house is brick, the other half is sided.

Some suggestions:
- Since they are unnecessary, lower the rabbit ears
- Adjust by turning the antenna. Turn slowly and wait (I find it takes a few seconds to adjust to the new antenna location)
- 2, 4, 7 are to the South or Southeast of your location. Try getting the antenna near a window - a Southern window is preferred. But, I have received 2, 4, 7 in the sided portion of the house far from a window.
- Move the wires from the antenna to the TV to be away from any electric wire. Moving the wires twice as far apart will give one quarter as much interference. A few inches of separation is good. Touching is bad.

I receive the best signal in the sided part of the house far from the windows when I am careful of the positions of the wires.

I find 23, 29, 17 to be the strongest followed by 2 & 4 with 7 close behind. 49 is the weakest but I can receive 49 except in a heavy rain.

Unfortunately, I'm limited to where to park the TV right now. It's on the north end of my house and not close to any windows.

Since the antenna I'm using is amplified, I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed that WGRZ keeps working!!

DirecTV Amherst, NY
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page