Buffalo, NY - HDTV - Page 224 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6691 of 7360 Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know the physical channel for Toronto's Omni network? My TV picks up an omni on 47; looking at a few places it appears there's a second Omni channel at either 44 or 51, depending on the site I reference. I can't pick up anything on 44 (I'm probably too close to Grand Island and WNED's broadcasts probably prevent picking up anything on 44) and 51 occasionally shows something in the 20% to 30% range but can never get an ID, let alone a lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 7360 Old 04-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Try channel 51. They're supposed to move to channel 40 based on Trip's site.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6693 of 7360 Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 131
CFMT is RF channel 47, virtual channel 47 (really confusing channel numbers here )
CJMT is RF channel 51, virtual channel 69 (the weaker of the two)
Programming on both is multi-cultural. All are off the CN tower (at different heights and ERP's)

Now:
There is a potential conflict with CJMT's physical channel 51 and WPXJ's virtual channel 51 (physical 23),
Then there is another conflict with WNLO virtual channel 23 (physical 32) and WPXJ's physical channel 23.
And not to forget the conflict between WKBW virtual channel 7 (physical 38) and WBBZ's physical channel 7 (virtual 67).

Did I forget anything?

Of course all of that wouldn't of happened if there was no such thing as "virtual" channel numbers in the first place.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #6694 of 7360 Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

OK I can pick up 47, but getting nada on physical channel 51.
I deleted WPXJ just in case my tuner was having a conflict and still nothing.

Oh well, maybe I can get a better antenna up sometime this summer and try again
post #6695 of 7360 Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Being in NT, you shouldn't have any trouble with either.
What antenna, rotor and location on roof?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #6696 of 7360 Old 04-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Location: Toronto, ON, CAN (7 million that don't count in Buffalo, NY DMA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1001001 View Post

OK I can pick up 47, but getting nada on physical channel 51.
I deleted WPXJ just in case my tuner was having a conflict and still nothing.

Oh well, maybe I can get a better antenna up sometime this summer and try again

jt1001001, note that Omni2 is leaving physical channel 51 "shortly" (not sure when but I expect it will be by the end of the summer) and going to physical channel 40. The transmitter will be co-located with the 47 transmitter (a lot higher and more powerful than the current 51 transmitter)
post #6697 of 7360 Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That should make many across the pond happy since it will give them a better chance to p/u WPXJ since that conflict is removed. Why couldn't CITY move to 40 instead.

post #6698 of 7360 Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Does anyone else periodically notice these odd black and white checkerboard' type patterns on channel 4 in HD? Especially during scene transitions? They are very quick to flash on screen and it doesn't appear to be normal pixilation or compression artifacts. This is something I've been noticing on the HD feed of WIVB for a long time. I have cable service from Time Warner Rochester and also have DirecTV. Initially I thought it was just a TW problem since the Buffalo locals aren't too interested in providing a quality feed to TW Rochester, but I've noticed the same thing on DirecTV. Does anyone else see this problem with Time Warner Buffalo, Dish or OTA? I'm thinking this is a channel 4 problem, which sucks, because I don't give a hoot about any of the local channels except for CBS, and to a lesser degree Fox. This is one of the reasons I'm considering moving' my DirecTV service address to a Rochester address so I can get WROC.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #6699 of 7360 Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never seen it on WIVB. How about the CBS affiliate in Rochester?
Where are you located?

post #6700 of 7360 Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I live in Marilla. Other than unencrypted QAM on cable, I have no access to WROC, so honestly I cannot say as it's too much of a hassle to unhook the cable box and run the line directly to the TV just for one channel waiting for something that may or may not happen. I watch CBS mainly for their primetime line up and NFL football. I don't recall seeing what I describe above on football, but it happens on primetime programming, especially all three CSIs a handful of times per episode. Happened a couple of times on this past week's episode of Criminal Minds which I recorded on Time Warner, as well as Unforgettable, which I recorded on DirecTV. But it happens on the CSI more predominately for some reason. This past weeks episode of the original CSI was recorded on TW, but it was accidently deleted so I have to watch in on Primetime On Demand.

I've had supervisors for Time Warner in Rochester flat out tell me the feeds that the Buffalo local channels provide to them suck, in comparison to what they get from the Rochester stations, in which all locals are received by a direct fiber feed. So I always just wrote this off as a problem from the link between WIVB and TW, but when I see the same thing on DirecTV it makes me wonder. If I lived a mere 1.2 miles east I'd be in Wyoming County and have a few of the Rochester locals on cable and it wouldn't be an issue.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #6701 of 7360 Old 04-14-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You are on TWC and the feed is from Rochester, living in Marilla??
How about just OTA, do you see it there?

post #6702 of 7360 Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The very eastern portions of Erie (Marilla, Alden & Akron/Newstead) and the very eastern portions of Niagara (Royalton/Middleton & Hartland) counties along with all of Orleans, Genesee and about 95% of Wyoming are all serviced out of the Rochester division. We've been Time Warner forever. Aldephia never had any presence in the more rural areas of Western NY east of the cities of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. There was a blurb in the Alden Advertiser once shortly after the Adelphia buyout about switching us to the Buffalo system mainly for the advertising aspect with the commercials TW injects into cable channels. So that we could see Billy Fucellio screaming at us to buy cars from his Grand Island dealerships instead of his dealerships in Greece and we could see commercials for Towne Auto Group instead of Vision. That never did happen, thankfully.

Anyhow, I do not have OTA set up. I have an OTA antenna, Radio Shack VU-190, but I cut the cable to it years ago. I installed it back in the 90s when we had Dish Network and locals were not on satellite unless you lived in NYC or LA. I've never had the need to use OTA since I watch nothing on the networks other than CBS primetime programming, NFL on CBS, NFL, MLB and NASCAR on Fox, Animation Domination on Fox, Sunday Night Football on NBC and as much NHL action on NBC as I can stomach before the announcers get to me so much I have to change the channel. I never watch ABC, PBS, My Network TV, CW or whatever channel 67 peddling these days.

post #6703 of 7360 Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So that we could see Billy Fucellio screaming at us to buy cars from his Grand Island dealerships instead of his dealerships in Greece and we could see commercials for Towne Auto Group instead of Vision.

I see you are a distinct disadvantage here.
Quote:

I never watch ABC, PBS, My Network TV, CW or whatever channel 67 peddling these days.

Whats' wrong with PBS, other then the previous administrations budget cuts to PBS severely reducing the quantity of Nova and Frontline programs (and others) produced? The direct opposite of these so called brainless "reality" programs.
I'm surprised your comment about ABC as they have as much decent programming as CBS does.
As far as the 'kidde' network CW and the other one, MyTV (whatever it is) no loss there. How about WPXJ, they offer the most HD material of all of the 'locals', just the opposite of WNYO & especially WNLO.

It's too bad you are out of range (I assume) of Toronto since there is a decent selection of their programming available (if you look for it) and movies, especially on CHCH.

post #6704 of 7360 Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Back to your original question. It seemed odd what you asked before, then it dawned on me last night. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed the video going to black for one second (not sure if it is between scenes or not, I assume, judging by what you posted. it is) on CBS/WIVB. No "checkerboards", it just drops out for a second. No pattern as far as I can tell. My feed is TWC, so I haven't been able to check out the OTA feed since I record everything.

Apparently, the STB and/or feed you have displays the problem differently than what I see here.

post #6705 of 7360 Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM

This is a usual occurance with WIVB for years.Only notice this on my big screen and its during primetime.A direct comparision to CFTO will show no blocking during the same seen .This using OTA.
post #6706 of 7360 Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We are talking two different things here. That's a data rate/transfer issue (forgot the proper technical term), I'm talking the screen going completely black, not necessarily between scenes for a second.
Strobes, explosions, fast pans, especially during sporting events, anything that has a very high data rate that the video pipeline can't keep up with.

post #6707 of 7360 Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't forgot about this, just been putting in some longer then expected hours at work.

Quote:

I'm surprised your comment about ABC as they have as much decent programming as CBS does.
As far as the 'kidde' network CW and the other one, MyTV (whatever it is) no loss there. How about WPXJ, they offer the most HD material of all of the 'locals', just the opposite of WNYO & especially WNLO.

It's too bad you are out of range (I assume) of Toronto since there is a decent selection of their programming available (if you look for it) and movies, especially on CHCH.

I have no interest in the type of programming PBS provides. Since NYPD Blue ended, on ABC I've watched LA Dragnet, Invasion and Flash Forward and nothing else. I think Dragnet lasted two seasons, the other two shows lasted one. I could not name one current primetime show on ABC if my life depended on it. I watched about 10 minutes of the first HD newscast on channel 7, haven't watched any since, and while basketball is about the only sport I do not follow, I may tune into some of the playoffs on ABC this season if our former home team, the LA Clippers, can make it in. But I don't think I could sit through an entire game. Most of the time I forget channel 51 even exists, but whenever I'm channel surfing and land on Ion, it's either showing Criminal Minds or Ghosts Whisperer. I've seen every episode of both shows, and while I enjoyed the first few seasons of Ghost Whisperer and Criminal Minds is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, both are repeated quite frequently on other channels.

Unless something really really good comes along, as the network shows I watch either come to an end for good or get canceled, I'm not planning on watching any other network shows in their place. It used to be every Fall, I'd watch just about every new police, law and medical drama on the big 4. Not anymore. The original series on AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime and others are so much better than what's on the networks it's not even funny. In fact, other than Criminal Minds, which lately has been hit or miss, Blue Bloods and 2 Broke Girls I could give up all non-Sports related network TV and not be too terribly upset.

I also have no interest in Canadian programming. I subscribe to NHL Center Ice, so I get Hockey Night In Canada. Typically I know Canadian OTA TV is more looser then American TV, but I'd rather watch movies on blu ray or premium cable, where they aren't edited for content on FCC and CRTC controlled airwaves.

Quote:

Back to your original question. It seemed odd what you asked before, then it dawned on me last night. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed the video going to black for one second (not sure if it is between scenes or not, I assume, judging by what you posted. it is) on CBS/WIVB. No "checkerboards", it just drops out for a second. No pattern as far as I can tell. My feed is TWC, so I haven't been able to check out the OTA feed since I record everything.

Yes, I've been seeing the very short occasional blank screens on channel 4 as well. On Time Warner for sure, I can't recall if I've seen them on DirecTV.

Quote:

This is a usual occurance with WIVB for years.Only notice this on my big screen and its during primetime.A direct comparision to CFTO will show no blocking during the same seen .This using OTA

Bingo! Yep, that's it! Yep, it's usually during fast action sequences and explosions. I cannot believe that the folks at channel 4 are okay with that. If I were an engineer at the station I'd want to know what's causing it and get it resolved ASAP. As soon as I get my second dish for the 95 degree satellite installed, I'm definitely calling DirecTV and switching over to Rochester locals.

post #6708 of 7360 Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have no interest in the type of programming PBS provides.

Educational documentaries with no commercials?
Quote:

I also have no interest in Canadian programming.

Expand your horizon. We in WNY are very lucky to have different programming available to us. We are the only market with this amount just across the pond.
Quote:

I’d rather watch movies on blu ray or premium cable, where they aren’t edited for content on FCC and CRTC controlled airwaves.

If you don't mind paying "premium" dollars to do so.

post #6709 of 7360 Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Educational documentaries with no commercials?

Nope. No desire to watch educational programming that typically leans left. I watch TV to be entertained not to be put to sleep. I've already paid my dues. I spent enough time in high school watching PBS stuff for one lifetime. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't PBS interrupt their programming at times every few months for the beg-a-thons?

Quote:

Expand your horizon. We in WNY are very lucky to have different programming available to us. We are the only market with this amount just across the pond.

My horizon is expanded. I subscribe to the Spanish package on cable. I get plenty of culture there. Don't speak a word of Spanish but hey for $7 bucks a month I get Playboy en Español which is in English 95% of the time. When I used my antenna, Canadian programming never did much for me other than hockey coverage. On occasion I was able to pick up some channel from Canada very faintly that would simulcast Bills games even when blacked out locally. That was the highlight of me having access to Canadian programming. 5, 9 & 11 used to be on cable here, but Time Warner removed them in the mid 90s.

Quote:

If you don't mind paying "premium" dollars to do so.

No, I definitely do not. I like my content in it's true form and uncut. I'll pay whatever it costs. I've subscribed to all of the movie channels for years, on the audio side, I haven't listened to local radio since August 12 2003, the day I bought my first XM receiver. I cannot listen to/watch/support cut up content. When my antenna was hooked up, I caught the ending of Home Alone on one of the Canadian channels, I think it was CFTO but it might have been Global, can't remember. Near the end of the movie when Macaulay Culkin is in the tree house and yells Come over here and get me you horsesass', it was dubbed over with the word horsesbutt'. That about did it for me.

post #6710 of 7360 Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No desire to watch educational programming that typically leans left.

That really says a lot about you.

Shallow conversation ended.

post #6711 of 7360 Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I just wish all cellular service would end so we could get back all those TV channels we once had.
Land lines work fine and they have for almost a century.

post #6712 of 7360 Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I just wish all cellular service would end so we could get back all those TV channels we once had.
Land lines work fine and they have for almost a century.

I'm sure your not the only person who feels that way but maybe the cell phone companies should remove their internet service & they won't need most of the air space they use now. I'm happy with just talk & text on my cell phone. That would be a win win for OTA TV & Cell Phone Lovers. If you want to use the internet turn on your computer.
post #6713 of 7360 Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My post was directed elsewhere, though I stand behind what I posted overall.

post #6714 of 7360 Old 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

I'm sure your not the only person who feels that way but maybe the cell phone companies should remove their internet service & they won't need most of the air space they use now. I'm happy with just talk & text on my cell phone. That would be a win win for OTA TV & Cell Phone Lovers. If you want to use the internet turn on your computer.

Agree about 98%. Cell phone are OK for "emergencies", and it would be great it they shut off when moving more than .5 mph.

Otherwise they are an annoying dangerous distraction.
post #6715 of 7360 Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Land lines work fine and they have for almost a century

We should get rid of cars too because 100 years ago the horse and buggy did the job just fine as well Good luck on wishing cellular service going away, but incase you haven't noticed smartphones are one of the hottest selling electronic devices around and spectrum needed to power the increase in wireless data needs to come from somewhere. Not sure what OTA channels have been lost due to spectrum going to it's rightful place, cellular, but with digital subchannels as much as I hate them, if anything channels have been gained not lost.

Verizon and their half-sister Verizon Wireless are two companies I absolutely cannot stand, but I really felt sorry for both VZW and their subscriber base here in the Buffalo area that watched 4G LTE get launched in many smaller markets before it finally went live in WNY, due to the Canadian digital switchover. Oh well it's here now for people to enjoy.

But again, good luck with that whole cell service going away thing, I'm sure the network engineers at Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, Sprint and T-Mobile will be right on that for ya

Quote:

Are you serious? A win for cell phone lovers would be removing cellular data? Yeah, that won't ever happen. What is the point of a smartphone with no data service? I have an unlimited plan with Sprint, I use a few hundred voice minutes a month, but constantly polish off 7-9GB worth of cellular data on my phone. I stream Pandora or Sirius XM all day while working, use the GPS functionality to do my job, and surf the net and stream HBO when I have some downtime. Plus email, ESPN ScoreCenter Score Alerts, Fox News alerts, using UrbanSpoon to find restaurants, the Time Warner and DirecTV apps to remotely program my DVR if need be. Using the NASCAR app to listen to live incar audio from my favorite drivers, using the NFL Mobile app to stream RedZone and SNF when I can't be a near TV, using the NHL GameCenter app to stream the Sabres when I can't be near a TV. No mobile data would make smartphones useless.

Not everyone can be near their home computer at all times. Right now I'm at the café at the Wegman's on Sheridan Drive having some pizza and wings. I'm typing this on my laptop and will be posting it via my Sprint USB aircard, as I refuse to use public WIFI. I enjoy having my own secure cellular data connection. Would I rather have my 50Mb Road Runner connection? Sure, but I can't exactly run 20 miles of Ethernet, from my cable modem at home to Williamsville now can I?

We are an ever increasing mobile society. Android based devices have been my latest obsession, I live and die by my cell phone, for the entertainment factor. Many depend on these devices for their livelihood, while my job requires a cell phone, not necessarily a smartphone, but I hardly ever use my company issued phone as it's just plan annoying to use flip phones Plus when you're a delivery driver and often get sent into unfamiliar areas, my job does sometimes depend on Google Navigation,

post #6716 of 7360 Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Liked: 12
Anyone else with the DTVPal DVR having problems with channel 7 tonight? It is unwatchable - not because Dancing with the Stars is on but because the dropouts are every few seconds. This happened a few weeks ago on a Sunday night during a recording of Once Upon a Time. Couldn't watch it and had to watch it on-line. I'm glad tonight, nothing I like is on.

OTA with free HD is the only way I watch TV
post #6717 of 7360 Old 04-24-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It is unwatchable - not because Dancing with the Stars is on

LMAOROTF.
That's too much.

post #6718 of 7360 Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Lot of soapbox rants since I've been here last. Damn.

Has anyone else noticed some pixelation on CBLT, especially during hockey games? It doesn't seem to be an issue any other time, but I confess, I haven't been watching much CBLT these days except for hockey.
post #6719 of 7360 Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

LMAOROTF.
That's too much.

Glad you got a chuckle out of that one.

What is the deal with reception lately. The last few days I'm struggling to get 5 and 57 which are typically rock solid. Are there typical times of year where OTA signals don't travel as far? Is it solar activity? Weather? Or it that just life in the OTA world - some days its good and some days its not so good?

OTA with free HD is the only way I watch TV
post #6720 of 7360 Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Being in NT, you shouldn't have any trouble with either.
What antenna, rotor and location on roof?

Roof of a 2 story house. I Don't know the antenna make/model because it was here when we moved it; but it is VHF/UHF. Rotor is a Channel Master of some sort with a "digital" control box (can enter the compass direction an program it for channel and corresponding direction). No pre-amp or amp. I do have a 1 to 2 splitter on it, one to the main TV, other split going to a HD Homerun box
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page