post #7261 of 7359 Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1HD_addict;
Where are you in relation to the 'big three' and where is the antenna aimed??

A short ways off the 219 in the Boston Hills (@1300'). Channel 7 is East of me. Antenna is in the attic pointed more or less towards channel 29.

OTA with free HD is the only way I watch TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7359 Old 02-18-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 121
There is also WIVB down the road. You must have enough side rejection not to bother that preamp.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #7263 of 7359 Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Liked: 10
Frugal,
Sorry to hear that you can't get 17. I was hoping that you were far enough away from the transmission towers that you may be able to get the channel reliably. I also think that you might (keyword being might) do better putting the antenna outside in the future (less reflections/interferences). However sometimes the situations don't allow you to get everything. I hardly receive 23 and most of the time 17 is choppy. With all that being said, adding a preamp will overload the system, believe me I tried. Ion will never come in because the grand island transmitters are blocking your reception of that signal. I think you will see an improvement when you can scan from outside.
post #7264 of 7359 Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 PM

I turned in my TV cable set box today.  Ooma had completed porting over my home phone number and with the attic antenna I was ready to negotiate.  It is much easier to negotiate when you are ready to walk away.  I came in with a print out of the promotions for new customers and the equipment to turn in.  I walked out with a $70 savings a month but I kept the Basic cable with Turbo Internet service.  I guess cable cutting is a progression of letting go.  I am now looking for a set box that will let me connect the antenna, the cable, and a laptop together with a capability to switch between them,  There are new products coming out that look hopeful.  I am keeping my eye on the Mohu Channel box that has a remote.  

Have any of you put a TV tuner with a laptop connected to your TV display?  I will post this question in the equipment topic as well.

Thanks for the responses.  

post #7265 of 7359 Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM

It's good to hear that you have some savings on the cable and TV plan. Also Ooma was the smartest decision I have made yet! Since I got ooma 6 or 7 years ago, I haven't paid a cent in telephone bills. I am happy to hear others are still buying in, that keeps the service going! It's a great choice! Maybe in the summer you can test that clearstream outside and see if you get better reception. Good luck with the DVR search, video Bruce has a whole thread on DVRs somewhere on this board. When I have a few more minutes I will find it and link it.
post #7266 of 7359 Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Here is the link to the DVR thread that VideoBruce has so kindly put together.  Thanks Bruce, this was a difficult thing to compile and you did a great job!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/2014-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs

post #7267 of 7359 Old 03-03-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Problem is certain other individuals that won't see the forest for the trees when it comes to negatives of these TiVo models, resent that I like to state both sides. They and that company like any other are real quick to point out the pluses, but real slow to admit to the negatives.
In markets like this, flexibility of the tuner is important since not all stations are coming from the same basic direction. Tuners (DVR's) that don't allow adding channels will be a huge problem and from what I have read, that Roamio does not. Also independent inputs for each tuner can be an advantage if you want to avoid using a rotor by using a 2nd antenna. If the tuner has separate memories for each tuner you are ahead of the game.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #7268 of 7359 Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Bruce,

In regard to the Roamio and scanning for channels, what can't add channels?  My roamio has re-scanned on it's own a few times and asked me if i wanted to add the new channels it has found to my list...  Maybe I am understanding this incorrectly... however, anyone that asks me about tuners, I will still send them to the DVR page you started.  I was so close to purchasing the DVICO model, but opted to go with the roamio for the ease of use.  I know I could have navigated a different DVR with ease, but it would have been more difficult to get my wife to learn all of the nuances.

But again thanks for the list, I was on that thread for about 2 weeks straight trying to determine my best options.  I know, I know I still chose the tivo, but I knew all the negatives going into it.

post #7269 of 7359 Old 03-03-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras
I understand everything you're saying. Sorry for being pedantic, but I'd like to have someone say whether there is a function to add channels to the initial scan, either an add channel scan or manually add channels. Without a way to add channels it is possible to end up with a channel that doesn't get scanned and is not in the zip code based list. If no one knows this then I'll have to call them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

no there isnt, there is only one scan. once it finishes the full scan of the spectrum you are then taken to a screen to add or remove the channels that the guided setup and the scan think you can receive.
if you point your antenna to a different market, you will have to perform another full scan. there is no way to add one or two channels that were not picked up from the previous scan from the previous antenna location.
Tivo is not antenna rotation friendly.
And this is one of the ones that can't see the trees. rolleyes.gif

According to what you posted, it's the same setup as the HD (series 3). Very poor documentation.

post #7270 of 7359 Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I know I still chose the tivo, but I knew all the negatives going into it.
A informed consumer. wink.gif

post #7271 of 7359 Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with 1, my tv and its tuner or my fios local tv service that I get through the clear qam tuner on my samsung 650 dlp tv. We most watch channel 2 in our house and at random times channel 2 and all the sub stations will go out. Sometimes 2.2 will not go but 2.1 and 2.3 will. I will be watching 2.1 and it will change to to 2.3 but it will be some weird sub station 155-63. I will cycle through all the channels and I can not find 2.1. I turn the TV off and on and still no 2.1. Eventually the channel will come back. Is this problem with my TV or is it because of FIOS? I do not want to call either company and say its Samsung or Verizon. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
post #7272 of 7359 Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My initial suspicion is the TV (being a DLP it is fairly old). Any other TVs in the house on FiOS?

Dave Hancock
post #7273 of 7359 Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I agree with davehancock because it sounds like the problem is your tv's qam tuner NOT your tv service. When i still used clear qam i had a station from rochester that did the same thing until i did a channel scan. Once with nothing connected to the tv & a second time with the cable connected directly to the tv. That fixed it for me. The next time channel 2 disappears see if another tv with a clear qam tuner is doing the same thing. That's the only way to find out what's causing your problem without calling samsung or verizon.
post #7274 of 7359 Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
post #7275 of 7359 Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Hello neighbors.

The time to cut the cord has come. Looks like I am going to go with Windows Media Center. I just need help with the "right" OTA outdoor antenna. I have been w/ DirecTV for 16 years so all I really care about is Buffalo locals (I dont care about Toronto, although it would be a "nice to have"). I am in the Clarence area and plan on mounting this antenna on the same mast as the DirecTV dish (currently ~ 15' off the ground (can be moved higher if absolutely necessary). Thought local knowledge can provide the best solution here!

Thank you.

post #7276 of 7359 Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 AM

Liked: 15
have you looked at your TVfool report? https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
post #7277 of 7359 Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

denversun;
You would be foolish not to go for Canadian stations, especially being out in Clarence. It should be a slam dunk unless you are in some dead spot. wink.gif

post #7278 of 7359 Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody who looks at TW's Programming Notices Online may notice you can no longer get to them by clicking on "Regulatory" on the bottom of TW's web site but i found them on help.twcable.com. Below is a direct link to view them online.

http://help.twcable.com/twc_programming_notices.html
post #7279 of 7359 Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Liked: 14
Has anyone noticed WBXZ is up on RF17 with 6 sub-channels. They appear to be only testing for now, only the 56.1 has any programming. New channels always welcome.
post #7280 of 7359 Old 04-18-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is it anything like this;

Looks as they are running a contest with WPXJ to see how many sub channels they can cram in 6 MHz. IOW's how bad can we make these look and still have viewers? mad.gif

post #7281 of 7359 Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Since they won't be airing anything in HD that leaves them with more available bandwidth for sub-channels whereas WPXJ has their main channel in HD. The more the merrier. It's a family owned LP station. I hope they succeed.
unclehonkey likes this.
post #7282 of 7359 Old 04-18-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

But, even the SD material looks terrible. I can clearly (no pun intended) see the additional compression (soft image) and artifacts.
I assume you have no issue receiving it?

post #7283 of 7359 Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 AM

The programming on now is temporary according to their Facebook page, but if you watch the commercials the PQ is way better, it's just the source material their using that's lousy. The signal at my location has been consistent since they went on the air, at 1-3 bars, haven't lost it yet at 77 miles out. Their pattern has null to the West so I guess more signal goes East, North and South. That other religious station broadcasting from the same location with "No Signal" for months is not reliable for me at all, but who cares.
post #7284 of 7359 Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Makes one wonder: how low is "low power" really?
post #7285 of 7359 Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Last Night i heard Channel 4 news at 10 which is on CW23 was talking about something tv related but i missed it because of a brief cable outage. Does anybody on here know what they were talking about because the only thing close that i can find on their site is a netflix rate increase of $2 more a month.
post #7286 of 7359 Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post

Last Night i heard Channel 4 news at 10 which is on CW23 was talking about something tv related but i missed it because of a brief cable outage. Does anybody on here know what they were talking about because the only thing close that i can find on their site is a netflix rate increase of $2 more a month.
Could that be the Supreme Court hearing about AEREO TV? http://news.msn.com/us/us-justices-show-little-support-for-aereo-tv-in-copyright-fight?ocid=ansnews11
post #7287 of 7359 Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What a bunch of wining from a huge corporation that makes hundreds of millions. maybe we should take up a collection? tongue.gif

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?avis=BN&date=20140421&category=BUSINESS&lopenr=140429782&Ref=AR&profile=1005&template=printart

(In case that doesn't work:)
Quote:
The Buffalo News.com
Business
Verizon still can’t justify expanding its FiOS service

Fiber-optic cable installation is costly

BY: David Robinson
Published: April 21, 2014, 07:21 PM

Updated: April 21, 2014, 07:21 PM
Four years after Verizon Communications decided to stop expanding its FiOS TV service to new markets, the telecommunications company still isn’t showing any interest in expanding its fiber-optic footprint into new communities, including Buffalo.

“Really, nothing’s changed,” said John Bonomo, a Verizon spokesman, Monday.

The reason is simple: Installing the fiber-optic cables that the FiOS service requires and hooking them up to the homes of potential customers is expensive, and it takes a long time for the company to recover that investment through the monthly payments it receives from its FiOS customers.

The company also is facing a strong headwind from the expanding trend among consumers for cord-cutting – doing without traditional landline or cable television service, or both. Many younger consumers, especially those younger than age 30, have never had wired phone or TV service, a group that Verizon executives call “never cords.”

And the company also faces competition for FiOS customers from other cable providers, such as Time Warner Cable in the Buffalo Niagara region.

Four years ago, about the time it was deciding to put the brakes on its FiOS expansion, Verizon served nearly 60 percent of the households in its service territory. Now, it’s less than 40 percent, according to Michael Hodel, a Morningstar Inc. analyst.

Put it all together, and analysts said the high cost of expansion – Verizon has spent more than $23 billion to build out its FiOS network – makes it hard to justify spending billions more to push into even more communities beyond the 183 municipalities the company now serves in New York, including 10 in the Buffalo Niagara region. In New York, Verizon said it costs about $750 per house to bring FiOS service to a neighborhood, plus an additional $600 to run the fiber into the home of a consumer who wants to purchase FiOS service.

“Losing customers will make it difficult for Verizon to earn a solid return on FiOS network spending or justify network upgrade spending beyond where FiOS already exists,” Hodel said.

“Cable companies and wireless substitution continue to steal residential customers in large numbers, despite Verizon’s network-upgrade efforts,” Hodel said in a note to investors. “The firm will likely need to win customers back to generate a decent return on its investment in FiOS.”

Verizon executives have reached the same conclusion, focusing their attention instead on finding ways to attract more customers to its FiOS service from among the 18.5 million homes that now have access to its upgraded network. About 15 million of those homes have access for Verizon’s FiOS TV service.

“At this point I think we are happy with what we have,” said Fran Shammo, Verizon’s chief financial officer, during an investment conference last month. “I’m not going to build beyond the (footprint) that we have today.”

In the Buffalo Niagara region, Bonomo said, Verizon is focusing on building out its fiber-based network within the local communities that already have FiOS service, where a total of about 176,000 households have access to the company’s services. “We’re right smack in the middle of that process,” he said.

That’s the backdrop as Assemblyman Sean Ryan, D-Buffalo, and State Sen. Timothy Kennedy, D-Buffalo, hold a community meeting to discuss bringing Verizon FiOS television and Internet service to Buffalo and other local communities at 6:30 tonight in the West Side Community Center, 161 Vermont St.

The legislators argue that residents in Buffalo and other communities without FiOS should have access to the same services as residents of Hamburg and other parts of the Buffalo Niagara region.

In Buffalo, only consumers in small parts of South Buffalo and North Buffalo have access to FiOS, while it is readily available to consumers in West Seneca and Tonawanda, Kenmore, Orchard Park, Lackawanna, along with parts of Amherst and other communities.

“I know a lot of communities have FiOS envy,” Bonomo said. But Verizon still isn’t planning to expand its FiOS footprint, he said.

Instead, Verizon’s focus is on winning more business from within those 18.5 million households nationwide that already have access to the company’s FiOS service, either by persuading existing customers to sign up for a wider range of services or by getting other consumers to switch to Verizon from other providers.

“We have to generate more cash within the wireline business. And then once we do that, when I feel that FiOS has finally returned its cost of capital, then we can look at expansion,” Shammo said.

So far, those efforts have been showing some signs of success. Verizon ended last year with 6.1 million customers for its FiOS Internet service, up almost 12 percent from the year before, and 5.3 million TV subscribers, up 11 percent from the end of 2012.

And the company is continuing to work toward building out its FiOS network within the communities that already have that service. Fewer than 1 million subscribers from within Verizon’s FiOS footprint across the country still were served by old-fashioned copper telephone wires at the end of last year. The company switched 330,000 customers within that FiOS footprint from copper to fiber-optic connections, and Verizon executives have said they expect to convert a similar number this year.

“That helps the cost structure of the wireline business,” Shammo said.

With a growing core of consumers opting to go without pay TV or landline phone service, a growing focus among companies from Verizon to Time Warner Cable and Comcast is on providing broadband services to households, since consumers without those services often rely on the Internet for access to television programming, movies and phone services.

Comcast, for instance, has about 21.7 million broadband subscribers, a figure that would be augmented by 11 million Time Warner broadband customers if their $45 billion merger goes through. That would dwarf Verizon’s 6.1 million broadband subscribers.

“I think you are going to continue to see broadband grow faster than TV,” Shammo said.

email: drobinson@buffnews.com
David Robinson

post #7288 of 7359 Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This is from two years ago;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/the-great-verizon-fios-ripoff_b_1529287.html?view=print&comm_ref=false

post #7289 of 7359 Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Granted, there are probably 90+ other cities saying this about themselves, but it's a shame that Buffalo couldn't convince Google to come here as a test market for their Fiber product.
post #7290 of 7359 Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But, weren't they looking out in Niagara Country, the town of Lockport??

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page