Buffalo, NY - HDTV - Page 244 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #7291 of 7360 Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure. I know that Byron Brown had met with Google representatives at one point. And I also know that the range, or planned range in Kansas City was pretty extensive, so I don't think it would have been limited to just Niagara County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7360 Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

But, weren't they looking out in Niagara Country, the town of Lockport??
Quote:
I'm not sure. I know that Byron Brown had met with Google representatives at one point. And I also know that the range, or planned range in Kansas City was pretty extensive, so I don't think it would have been limited to just Niagara County.

I think that you guys are mixing up a couple of things:

• Data Center & FTTP
  • Google & Yahoo

Yahoo Gets the OK For Buffalo Data Center Expansion

Dave Hancock
post #7293 of 7360 Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I knew something was out in Lockport. Lockport isn't Buffalo, it's not even the same county. Doesn't do "Buffalo" any good way out there. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #7294 of 7360 Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

I think that you guys are mixing up a couple of things:

• Data Center & FTTP
  • Google & Yahoo

Yahoo Gets the OK For Buffalo Data Center Expansion

I was talking about this:

http://buffalorising.com/2010/03/buffalo-wants-google-fiber/

When Google announced it wanted test markets back in 2010, Buffalo threw its name in the ring. Obviously, Google felt it was better served elsewhere. Not that I can blame them, for a myriad of reasons, but it sure would have been great.

Interestingly enough, if you go to their website, though, they don't seem to want to touch the entire Northeast with a 10 foot pole.
post #7295 of 7360 Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here are the current clear QAM changes from TW.
Quote:
On or about May 15, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”): YNN SD&HD, PEG, FLTV, Local Access, Government Access, Educational Access, Community Access, WSPX. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

On or about June 12, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”): HSN SD&HD, WBBZ SD&HD. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

On or about June 18, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”):YNN SD&HD, Local Access, FLTV. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

On or about June 19, 2014, Time Warner Cable will be making technical changes to our cable system that may disrupt your ability to view the following unencrypted (“in the clear”) channel on a digital television or other device that includes a QAM tuner (“a ClearQAM device”): YNN SD&HD, Local Access, FLTV, WNYO SD&HD, HSN SD&HD. If this occurs, you will need to go into the settings menu on your ClearQAM device and perform a new channel scan in order to resume viewing this channel. Customers using digital cable set-top boxes will not notice any change. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Also Showtime will have a free preview from June 27 - 29 & Fox Sports 2 will move to the Variety Pass on July 1st.
post #7296 of 7360 Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Better known as "Musical channels". What/who are WSPX, PEG & FLTV??

Why isn't this done all at once?? Moving the same service more than once to boot. rolleyes.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #7297 of 7360 Old 05-09-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WSPX is ION.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7298 of 7360 Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WSPX is ION.

- Trip

WSPX is ION is Syracuse so why are they telling us information about a station we don't get. ION here is WPXJ.
videobruce likes this.
post #7299 of 7360 Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Must be some of that long range reception. Here I thought we had another station call letter change. biggrin.gif

But what is PEG & FLTV?

post #7300 of 7360 Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
PEG = Public, Educational, Government aka public access TV
FLTV = Finger Lakes TV, a community access channel in the Finger Lakes region

It looks like the Regulatory notices from Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse/STNY are just copy/pastes of each other this month. It would make sense for WSPX to be listed on the Rochester notice since the Eastern portion of the TW Rochester service area receives locals from Syracuse as well as Roc.

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #7301 of 7360 Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM

Is anybody here seeing WNED do some weird things with its PSIP?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134626&page=69
post #7302 of 7360 Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It started yesterday morning.
Their ASI converter took a dump. Problem was resolved as of 1030am 5/16. Thanks to Joe Pulm and his people. smile.gif

Other than the additional virtual channel numbers, it caused one of my tuners to 'flash' the video on and off at various rates, causing the tuner to lockup.

post #7303 of 7360 Old 05-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I have a couple questions about antennas. First off I live in the Genessee and Union area. I own a ranch, single home, that I'm guessing is no more than 20 feet high. I recently cut the cord and only have Netflix and Hulu. Was at Walmart the other day and saw the Clearstream 2v antenna and was thinking about buying it. Was wondering if I mounted it on the roof high enough, will I be able to pull in the Canadian channels? I've been looking for an antenna for awhile now and don't like the channel master or winegards as they look to big. Was wondering if anyone from the Cheektovegas area has tried Clearstream or any other compact antenna that can reach Canada? Thanks for the replies!
post #7304 of 7360 Old 05-27-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked your handle, I'm surprised I never saw it used before.
I'm not of fan of those and many other antennas from that importer. I feel they are overpriced and aimed at a unsuspecting buyer that is attracted to them with their non-conventional design. They are selling glitz as far as I'm concerned.

To answer your question, yes for the most part with some possible exceptions. CFTO being the only VHF station in this market will be a problem using a UHF antenna. You can buy a VHF high band/UHF combo, but it is larger and is more expensive.
CHCH out of Hamilton will probably be unreceivable due to the unnecessary duplication of that station in the southern tier on Grand island using the same channel (thanks Industry Canada). mad.gif

High is your friend, so is location. It's crap shoot exactly what you will receive and what you won't. Figure on a rotor.

post #7305 of 7360 Old 05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with videobruce an outdoors antenna will be your best option because like he already said the higher the antenna the better your reception. To help you find out what type of antenna you should use go to tv fool & type in your address to see a map of available channels & what type of antenna can get them. Here's a link for you. http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
post #7306 of 7360 Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

CBLT, CICA & CIII will be the easiest, CFTO, CITY & CFMT the hardest. CHCH as I stated, might as well forget it, at least where you are (unless you are extremely lucky).

I wouldn't give a whole lot of weight to those guesses from TVFool. wink.gif

post #7307 of 7360 Old 05-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Thanks for replies. I have been researching for months and know the channel master and winegard are the top antennas. Was trying to get a new idea on the newer antennas to come out like the Clearstream, Mohu Sky, etc. to get something that works and doesn't look like an eyesore lol. As you can tell I'm new to this cord cutting, was just tired of paying $200 a month for satellite/cable and we mostly end up watching things on Netflix and Hulu. I hear what your saying Videobruce about the glitz antennas and was surprised to find on eBay that sellers are trying to sell antennas that reach 200 miles when every other antenna are usually around the same 50 mile distance. But I'm also disappointed that antenna technology hasn't advanced to where it can be something small and can reach up to 200 or so miles. My search shall continue ...
post #7308 of 7360 Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's no different than audio speakers. A small driver will not have the bass a large driver will. There are ways of 'tricking' one to make small speakers sound good, but it's just tricks.
Same goes for antennas. RF hasn't really changed. And ignore those mileage claims, all they are, are just claims. Marketing.
Cheektovegas likes this.

post #7309 of 7360 Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
But I'm also disappointed that antenna technology hasn't advanced to where it can be something small and can reach up to 200 or so miles.

This is not an antenna issue. The signal simply dies out and fades into the background noise due to a combination of the earth's curvature and normal signal decay (signal weakens inversely with the square of the distance) long before then. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_path_loss for some explanation.

If you want an antenna that can receive signals from extraordinary distances, get a satellite dish.
post #7310 of 7360 Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can have signal fade there too. wink.gif

post #7311 of 7360 Old 05-30-2014, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure can, but usually for different reasons than for terrestrial broadcasts.

I was pointing out the illogical nature of his wish.
post #7312 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Nothing illogical. It's called technological advancement. Are you not for better antennas in the future? Or are you still using a home phone with dial-up for internet?
post #7313 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Are you not for better antennas in the future?
Some things can't change. RF is one of them. You can't re-invent the wheel, it will always be round. wink.gif

post #7314 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovegas View Post

Nothing illogical. It's called technological advancement. Are you not for better antennas in the future? Or are you still using a home phone with dial-up for internet?
People are always coming up with worthless schemes for everything. Antennas too. The new schemes usually include a amplifier and are physically smaller. BUT, they are not any better at pulling in distant stations. As Bruce indicates, you are largely subject to the laws of physics.
videobruce likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #7315 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Classic cases, audio speakers and naming LCD TV's "LED" to 'con' the American public into thinking it's completely different than a LCD TV. rolleyes.gif

There is a sucker born every minute.

post #7316 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since it is glaringly obvious that you don't know how RF propagates, it's called wishful thinking.
post #7317 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

There have been tremendous technological advancements in broadcasting. Digital broadcasting permits high definition signals. That's a big advancement. And several "channels" can now be multiplexed on a single 6-MHz RF channel. For many people, indoor antennas are now a far more viable option than they ever were in the days of analog broadcasting. (Yes, the "cliff effect" does cause trouble for some people, but some people are actually able to now receive a stable signal that was not possible via analog broadcasting.)

Distance isn't everything. And most people live within fifty miles of stations for PBS and the four main commercial broadcast networks, so there are not many people who would even want to receive an OTA signal from 200 miles away.

post #7318 of 7360 Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

Distance isn't everything. And most people live within fifty miles of stations for PBS and the four main commercial broadcast networks, so there are not many people who would even want to receive an OTA signal from 200 miles away.
The case here in Buffalo is that there are Canadian stations within reach for many and these are not carried on cable here. So there is a strong desire to receive those stations the only way that they can - OTA.
videobruce likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #7319 of 7360 Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

90% of WNYorkers have no idea what is available from Canada, all they know of is CFTO carrying duplicate US series broadcasts and Hockey on CBLT. rolleyes.gif

post #7320 of 7360 Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

90% of WNYorkers have no idea what is available from Canada, all they know of is CFTO carrying duplicate US series broadcasts and Hockey on CBLT. rolleyes.gif

Soon to be Hockey on CBLT and CITY biggrin.gif
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page