post #7471 of 7500 Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to FoxChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsspredator View Post
I can't record FOX programs on WUTV because my DRV defaults to SAP 1 and WUTV moved their 5.1 audio to SAP 2.

I contacted them with no response. Does anyone here have a contact at WUTV?
Neither WUTV nor Fox Broadcasting moved the 5.1 anywhere, or changed a thing. It's always been on the same channels since 2005....But if you have anything at all on the front end of your TV, check your downmix if possible. I know you said you're watching OTA, but the equipment you're using suggests you are a satellite subscriber, because I watch OTA, with a roof antenna, and I don't have any issues at all, which is why this concerns me. I would like to try to help, but I need more to go on.

Another concern is, saying that you contacted us with no response. I respond to all viewers that call about everything a lot during the day, and return their calls if they leave a message and a phone number. I'm not as quick to check this AVS Forum site, but I am diligent at returning calls. But you have to, at least, meet me half way. If it's after hours, perhaps leaving a message with your phone number and your concern usually gets a response. It's usually better if you know with whom you need to speak if you call at all. Asking to speak to someone in engineering, during the day, is usually a good idea because we can answer questions like this. But saying "..no one responded to my call", doesn't necessarily mean you actually called this facility. It makes it sound like you're angry and wanting to point a finger at someone., when the problem could be right in front of you.
videobruce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7500 Old 02-27-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
He mentioned recoding on a Dish DVR.

Not quite. He said:
Recording OTA (RF 14) on a Bell 6141 (same
Then I have to assume this satellite companies receiver/DVR also has a OTA tuner?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #7473 of 7500 Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I recently checked WUTV'S OTA Signal at my aunt's house which is closer to buffalo than mines & the sound for all programming appeared to be normal. Looks like dsspredator's problem has to be his equipment because FoxChief said no changes have been made to there 5.1 audio.
post #7474 of 7500 Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Then I have to assume this satellite companies receiver/DVR also has a OTA tuner?
yes. Bell used Dish equipment but with their own software and model number. The guts are the same

So it almost sounds like its a setting in the receiver itself that needs to be changed. This sounds stupid but there is an option in the receiver that says "alternate audio" and gives other options. Maybe the poster needs to mess with that setting
post #7475 of 7500 Old 03-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't really expect to get an answer to this question, but since it is obivious that WUTV and WNYO's staff appear to check the forum, I will ask. Has anyone heard if WNYO will build out on its construction permit and install a new antenna? I know the permit runs out on March 20th and I doubt the weather would permit them to install a new antenna, but you never know.
post #7476 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why is there a need for a "new antenna"??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #7477 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
The current antenna is directional and WNYO holds a construction permit for one that isn't.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7478 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 AM

I can't recieve WNYO with the current directional antenna, but I would be able to get WNYO with the new antenna. So the reason for the question.
post #7479 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenl View Post
I can't recieve WNYO with the current directional antenna, but I would be able to get WNYO with the new antenna. So the reason for the question.
I have no idea where you guys are getting your information from, but you may want to consider another source. WNYO has a directional antenna BTW

Last edited by FoxChief; 03-03-2015 at 04:03 PM.
post #7480 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Warrenl;
Where are you located?

Trip in VA;
What made you think they were directional??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WNYO 49 coverage.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	581553  

Last edited by videobruce; 03-03-2015 at 02:24 PM.
post #7481 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
videobruce, WNYO is currently directional per their FCC records. They hold a permit to go omni that expires on March 20.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7482 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxChief View Post
I have no idea where you guys are getting your information from, but you may want to consider another source. WNYO has a directional antenna BTW
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. From your reply I can tell that WNYO has no plans on changing their antenna this March. It was only a question based on this application in the FCC.
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=67784
here is the one of the web sites I ues to follow broadcasters
http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=1323942
my apologies if my post gave the impression that WNYO was planning to build on the permit, I was just asking if there was any plans to build on CP? And I got the answer. Thank you.

Last edited by Warrenl; 03-03-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: misspelled Words
post #7483 of 7500 Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Warrenl;
Where are you located?:
I live in the Wellsville area.
post #7484 of 7500 Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I know you said you're watching OTA, but the equipment you're using suggests you are a satellite subscriber, because I watch OTA, with a roof antenna, and I don't have any issues at all, which is why this concerns me. I would like to try to help, but I need more to go on.

I am watching OTA using a Bell 6141 with an OTA tuner (same as Dish 211k) and recording using the DVR. I have been using this STB for 7 years and I have recorded WUTV without any problems until a 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' episode 2 weeks ago. The DV audio was recorded and I can't change it to 5.1. I can't change the SAP for OTA broadcasts only for SAT broadcasts. So during FOX Net broadcasts I hear the DV audio or the 2.0 audio without DV.

Also, on a 8 year old Panasonic plasma the DV is now playing on SAP 1 and 5.1 on SAP 2. All other TVs the 5.1 is on SAP 1 (LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Sharp).

I consider my 'technically savvy' and can usually solve most problems on my own but this audio issue is very disconcerting.
post #7485 of 7500 Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, on a 8 year old Panasonic plasma the DV is now playing on SAP 1 and 5.1 on SAP 2. All other TVs the 5.1 is on SAP 1 (LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Sharp).
This makes me believe the problem is your equipment, not the signal because if your other tv's can get 5.1 audio from wutv on sap 1 then there's nothing wrong with the signal. The problem is definitely being caused by your equipment.
George Molnar likes this.
post #7486 of 7500 Old 03-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Location: Toronto, ON, CAN (7 million that don't count in Buffalo, NY DMA)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Neither WUTV nor Fox Broadcasting moved the 5.1 anywhere, or changed a thing. It's always been on the same channels since 2005....But if you have anything at all on the front end of your TV, check your downmix if possible. I know you said you're watching OTA, but the equipment you're using suggests you are a satellite subscriber, because I watch OTA, with a roof antenna, and I don't have any issues at all, which is why this concerns me. I would like to try to help, but I need more to go on.

Another concern is, saying that you contacted us with no response. I respond to all viewers that call about everything a lot during the day, and return their calls if they leave a message and a phone number. I'm not as quick to check this AVS Forum site, but I am diligent at returning calls. But you have to, at least, meet me half way. If it's after hours, perhaps leaving a message with your phone number and your concern usually gets a response. It's usually better if you know with whom you need to speak if you call at all. Asking to speak to someone in engineering, during the day, is usually a good idea because we can answer questions like this. But saying "..no one responded to my call", doesn't necessarily mean you actually called this facility. It makes it sound like you're angry and wanting to point a finger at someone., when the problem could be right in front of you.
I am getting the Descriptive Video on the primary audio on my TiVo (used for OTA) at least for a couple of shows. The last 2 episodes of Gotham for sure. Never had this issue prior to the past couple of weeks. I haven't been able to check what is happening on my other ATSC tuners at the same time but I will the next time I experience it.. Fortunately for me the secondary audio is recorded by my TiVo so there's an easy workaround.
post #7487 of 7500 Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gran chico View Post
I am getting the Descriptive Video on the primary audio on my TiVo (used for OTA) at least for a couple of shows. The last 2 episodes of Gotham for sure. Never had this issue prior to the past couple of weeks.

Thank you, now at least I know I am not alone.

El gran chico you are Canadian, do you or do you know someone that knows how to switch the audio on a BELL box (for OTA not SAT)?
post #7488 of 7500 Old 03-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Now there's 2 people getting DV as the primary audio I wonder why most ota users are getting 5.1 from wutv while 2 people in canada receiving the same signal are getting DV as there primary audio? Any ideas FoxChief?

Dsspredator i was browsing bell's support site & found an article that talks about changing the dolby digital settings? Since that controls 5.1 & DV you should check it out & see if something in there is causing your issue.
http://support.bell.ca/TV/Receivers/...sound_settings
post #7489 of 7500 Old 03-07-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
Dsspredator i was browsing bell's support site & found an article that talks about changing the dolby digital settings? Since that controls 5.1 & DV you should check it out & see if something in there is causing your issue.

Thank you!

But that only controls the Bell SAT audio, not OTA.
post #7490 of 7500 Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe you should contact bell & see if they can help in any way.

I know this won't help you but the other day i was watching wutv hd on my den tv which doesn't have a cable box so i checked the audio setting & it said it was receiving ONLY Stereo sound for local & fox programming. I can't check this setting on my cable box because the only audio setting it has is English or Spanish sound. I think TW may have removed the 5.1 audio on there end before sending it to my tv's.
post #7491 of 7500 Old 03-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you, now at least I know I am not alone.

El gran chico you are Canadian, do you or do you know someone that knows how to switch the audio on a BELL box (for OTA not SAT)?
Sorry, no.

Just checking The Simpsons at 7pm Sunday. On my Sony Bravia - normal audio is on Primary, descriptive is on secondary. On my TiVo Premiere, it's reversed!
post #7492 of 7500 Old 03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just checking The Simpsons at 7pm Sunday. On my Sony Bravia - normal audio is on Primary, descriptive is on secondary. On my TiVo Premiere, it's reversed!
If your Sony TV gets 5.1 on primary but your tivo is getting 5.1 on secondary the problem can't be wutv's ota signal because if it was the signal the problem would be happening on everybody's tv's. I think your tivo & dsspredator's bell receiver may have downloaded a firmware update & it's causing the 5.1 audio on wutv to move to secondary audio.
post #7493 of 7500 Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNASCAR24 View Post
If your Sony TV gets 5.1 on primary but your tivo is getting 5.1 on secondary the problem can't be wutv's ota signal because if it was the signal the problem would be happening on everybody's tv's. I think your tivo & dsspredator's bell receiver may have downloaded a firmware update & it's causing the 5.1 audio on wutv to move to secondary audio.
I was thinking the same thing, although when I went to the TV in the den (a Toshiba), it had descriptive on its main audio channel. It has a TiVo Roamio and it has descriptive on the secondary audio channel.

So with my 4 devices, 2 have descriptive on secondary (Sony TV, Tivo Roamio) and 2 have it on primary (Toshiba TV, TiVo Premiere).

If I get some time, I'll run the WUTV OTA signal through TSReader and see if anything stands out. It must be something subtle if some devices are ok with and some not. I've seen similar things happen with other stations with other issues (there were many like this around the time of the digital conversion). (aside, I know some of those cheap CECB have some firmware issues handling valid ATSC tables)

What's really odd to me is I've had the Toshiba TV and TiVo Premiere for nearly 5 years each and never experienced this until a couple of weeks ago. There's been no firmware update for the Toshiba TV I can assure since it predates internet connected TVs
post #7494 of 7500 Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Try running TSReader when you know the descriptive audio is on the primary channel because if anything's going to stand out it will probably be at that time.
post #7495 of 7500 Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
If I get some time, I'll run the WUTV OTA signal through TSReader and see if anything stands out. It must be something subtle if some devices are ok with and some not.

That would be much appreciated.

And then we can talk to WUTV and hopefully fix this.
post #7496 of 7500 Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wonder why most ota users are getting 5.1 from wutv while 2 people in canada receiving the same signal are getting DV as there primary audio?
Quirk between the station and the viewers equipment? Works with 90-95%+ of others equipment, but some 'weird' reason there is a problem here.
Some audio setting needs to be changed somewhere with the receiving equipment?

post #7497 of 7500 Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 AM

I'm going to chime in so you all know this is being taken seriously. Because we really appreciate the feedback. But I was thinking maybe there is something we haven't thought of. Maybe there are a few (or perhaps just one) model of receiver(s) mux'ing the audio for some reason. Fox runs 5.1 on the first 6 channels of audio (as to be expected), but descriptive audio is on channel 7. Maybe there is a firmware glitch in receivers out there that is "hunting" for another channel if the 5.1 disappears for any reason. As a result, it's seeing the descriptive channel as an active audio channel and moving it to the primary downmix in the absence of anything else. It's a long shot, but this may be the problem you're having, given the few amount of viewers affected. I will try an experiment for the next few nights that should not affect anyone who is not having a problem now to see if it fixes your problem. Rescan your receiver if you can (just in case) and let me know if you still have the problem or if anything changes. I am using TSReader and a Trivini Streamscope to monitor OTA. So I won't know anything unless you tell me because I cannot replicate the problem over the air. As always, I really appreciate this.
videobruce likes this.

Last edited by FoxChief; 03-10-2015 at 11:51 AM.
post #7498 of 7500 Old 03-10-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Rescan your receiver if you can (just in case) and let me know if you still have the problem or if anything changes.

I will rescan my TV and receiver at 8 tonight and see what happens.

Thank you!
post #7499 of 7500 Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate this.

And I do too.

You fixed my problem.

5.1 audio is back on the Panasonic plasma and Bell 6141 DVR.
Panasonic TV indicates English Audio 1 (5.1) and Spanish Audio 2 (2.0).

Thank you so much!
FoxChief likes this.
post #7500 of 7500 Unread Today, 09:07 AM

All looks good for me too, FoxChief. Your efforts are very much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page