Buffalo, NY - HDTV - Page 255 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #7621 of 7623 Old 05-15-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
I decided to delve into it a bit. If I put WNYB on channel 9, it causes 3% interference to WHAM and 13% interference to CKVR in Canada. If I put it on channel 10, it causes 3% interference to WHEC and 30% interference to CFPL in Canada. Suffice it to say, neither is acceptable.

WBNF-CD is a Class A station, which until the Incentive Auction, was treated just like an LPTV by Canada and thus was not protected from full-power stations like CHCH. (Even though it would be protected from US full-power stations.) It receives 16% interference from CHCH.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7622 of 7623 Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Other than the current sole 'local' and CFTO out of Toronto, Erie PA, Kitchener and especially Olean are out also. The two county's north of here, Kitchener would be receivable and the southtowns along the lake, Erie PA may be possible.
Actually WVTT Olean, is on tower north of Machias and just south of Springville. In theory they should put great signal into Buffalo, they don't, but that is not because of their location, or assign power level. Not sure of WVTT strategy, they would be a perfect station to use for experimenting with the new 3.0 broadcast standard in the Buffalo area. Currently they are broadcasting This TV on an analog translator Ch. 20 in Olean and putting a solid analog OTA signal in Olean.

Last edited by Warrenl; 05-16-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #7623 of 7623 Old Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 254
WBBZ/ ME-TV audio

I have noticed in the past 3 or so weeks WBBZ's audio has gotten terrible. Somewhere along the food chain the level has been cranked up to a point a limiter is clipping with the low level material at the same level as the peaks. To put it plainly film noise, clicks, pops are as almost as loud as gun shots. Very noticeable on series like Perry Mason where what should close to be inaudible hiss and background noise is at the level of the vocals. This also includes Hogans Heroes. S's are Z's in the vocals.

If you listen close you can hear the background level recover after loud passages. I contact the station engineer and got the typical response that I'm the only one that has complained. I was going to common on their typical viewers technical level, but didn't.

I viewed the same material in another room analog int. amp vs a higher end A/V receiver and get the same results as the engineer tried to blame settings here. No other station or material is this happening and it never did 3 weeks ago. Anyome else notice this of can confirm they do or do not? It's really obvious here, I have to drop my receiver volume 8-10db to compensate the the compression level increase.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception