post #271 of 11242 Old 02-12-2003, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian
J.L., Thanks. And what's up with NBC? I was hoping to watch Frasier and Kingpin in HD last night, but Frasier didn't even try and Kingpin was in the window pane and didn't look HD either? Is it just our local not passing it yet? They run ads on WXII that they were the first in the Triad with HDTV.

They haven't been passing HD for the last few nights. I called over there Sunday night and was told NBC was having a problem, but other NBC affiliates were passing HD so either their master control wasn't switching it or they are having a HD net receiver problems and just left it on the SD receiver. Just a guess.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 11242 Old 02-13-2003, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WXII was indeed the first in the Triad with HDTV, but they sure don't seem to be the most reliable. It seems like they frequently fail to switch things over properly when network programming changes to HDTV.

But, they'll probably get it right next week. At least it seems like they're trying.

WXLV ABC 45, on the other hand, hasn't even acknowledged the very polite email I sent them a couple of weeks ago asking about HDTV transmission. So, I'm done with them. I'm now bound and determined to get my ABC programming in real HDTV from WSOC in Charlotte. This week, I raised my antenna as high as I can safely get it, and tried a different pre-amp. I now get ocassional glimpses of WSOC. But, the signal is not nearly reliable enough for casual viewing. Next, I'm going to try some new pre-amp/antenna combinations. I may even break down and try to cut my own antenna, tuned to their frequency, and fixed on their position.

If that doesn't work, I may just drive over to WXLV and throw rocks at their building. Hee-hee!

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Has anyone else been successful in reliably picking up WSOC in the Triad?

Only squares watch square TV.
post #273 of 11242 Old 02-24-2003, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

2 questions

First for Foxeng, sorry if you've been bugged about this before, but when you guys do your widescreen, I get a fluttering white border across the top of my screen and the picture doesn't come close to filling the screen. Any improvements coming? The jumping white line really makes watching the channel miserable.

Second, I'm trying to find a program schedule for the UNCHD demo channel. I saw a gorgeous piece on Greece and Italy and would love to know when some of this is coming on. I keep digging around on the UNC TV site, but I can't find it.

Thanks, Brent
post #274 of 11242 Old 02-24-2003, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, the Grammy's were great last night. 5.1 sounded very nice. A whole different experience.
post #275 of 11242 Old 02-24-2003, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
2 questions

First for Foxeng, sorry if you've been bugged about this before, but when you guys do your widescreen, I get a fluttering white border across the top of my screen and the picture doesn't come close to filling the screen. Any improvements coming? The jumping white line really makes watching the channel miserable.

This is the first I have heard of this and I have not seen it at the station OTA or at home on my 34XBR800 OTA (I do not have cable at home, I have DirecTV). The only time we run widescreen is for network, so it must be something FOX is sending since our top of picture doesn't really change. It could be a VITC (vertical interval time code) in the signal, but you would see that on other programming as well. HHHMM. I will check it out.

Are you on cable or receiving us OTA? I know TWC is decoding and re-encoding our signal for channel 510. We do not have a way to look at the cable here at the station (I keep asking for a decoder box and I haven't gotten one yet) and they may be doing something.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Quote:
Second, I'm trying to find a program schedule for the UNCHD demo channel. I saw a gorgeous piece on Greece and Italy and would love to know when some of this is coming on. I keep digging around on the UNC TV site, but I can't find it.

Thanks, Brent

I heard that they will not really start pushing the HD channel until they get all 11 transmitter sites up and Asheville is the last and is almost finished, so I would suspect that should be coming soon.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #276 of 11242 Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, the Grammy's were great last night. 5.1 sounded very nice. A whole different experience.

Yeah! I didn't really care about the show, but looked at it from the technical production standpoint. I have come to the conclusion that HD always looks good, but if the lighting is not right on a HD scene, it is like in a movie, the whole thing looks crappy. I don't know who was doing the production or lighting, but they had it down COLD! Gwen Stephanie looked great and Faith Hill looked stunning with the sweat rolling down her chest! I told my wife it was too bad that Faith forgot to wear a skirt with that top though! (My wife LOVES Faith Hill!)

post #277 of 11242 Old 02-24-2003, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm watching on TWC, so maybe that's where the artifact is coming in.
post #278 of 11242 Old 02-26-2003, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2 questions

OK, here is what I have been able to find out.

FOX is sending data on video line 22. This is what is called first line of active video or where the pictue starts. This is the normal place that the Nielson data that is sent to the STB's Nielsen uses in homes for overnight ratings. In the analog world, this is not a problem since NTSC TV's have quite a bit of overscan. (rock your horizontal in the analog world and you will see it there too) In the DTV world, overscan is a nasty word. We are not seeing here at the station because of our OTA digital receiver is covering it up.

I have put in a call to TWC to their head end tech to ask if there is a way to have the cable STB cover it up on output to the monitor and not interfere with the data that might be sent to any Nielsen boxes that might be connected, since this market has these boxes.

As soon as I hear back, I will let you know, but that is what's happening. You may need to tighten up your top overscan to cover it up if they can't help in doing anything.

post #279 of 11242 Old 02-26-2003, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks foxeng, that's helpful. I'm not sure if I know how to play with the overscan on the projector, but I guess I could just zoom it or something. I'll play around with it.
post #280 of 11242 Old 02-28-2003, 08:47 AM

Hello, I'm a new Greensboro HDTV user, using TW Cable and a Pansonic ED Plasma. I had a chance to try it out breifly the other night before my power went out yesterday and I was somewhat dissapointed with the broadcasts, hence a couple questions. I was surprised that all the networks with the exeception of nbc were broadcasting in 4:3 ratio. Is this common, particular to TW Cable, is the same signal received over the air? Even more suprising was NBC, when I checked it they were showing west wing which appeared to be broadcast in 4:3 format but then within the 4:3 signal was letterboxed so that the actual picure had black all around and only filled about 1/2 the screen. Is this a setting I need to change or is that how it is broadcast. I also have HD HBO and showtime, which are great in widescreen but of the four channels two were showing 4:3 format movies. Finally, whats with the unc logo on the UNC HD, is it always there or do they only show it occasionally. My daughter will be attending UNC next year but I don't want their logo burned permanantly into my screen.

Great to see a group here from Greensboro. Thanks for any info you can help me out with.
post #281 of 11242 Old 02-28-2003, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

dtaylor,
I'm new on the HD scene also, but I've asked a few of these questions already so I'll see if I can help.

"I was surprised that all the networks with the exeception of nbc were broadcasting in 4:3 ratio."

It depends on which channels you were watching at which time. I assume you're looking at the digital channels 510, 520, 530, 540 for the networks. First, our local ABC station isn't broadcasting ANY HD yet. Second, FOX only does 480p widescreen occasionally, never any HD yet. Third, our NBC affiliate has been having problems lately and I haven't seen any HD on NBC yet, but I believe this is a temporary problem. You got the bars around all 4 sides of the WW because they broadcast it in widescreen on the regular analog feed, and that's what they were passing to you on the digital channel. That should be remedied soon, I hope. Last, CBS does most of their primetime lineup in HD, but not all, so it depends on what you were watching. You may want to check their programming schedule and see what's in HD.

"I also have HD HBO and showtime, which are great in widescreen but of the four channels two were showing 4:3 format movies."

Again, depends on what you were watching. I know HBO has on their website the programming list of what's actually in "True HDTV" as they call it. I think they also have some upconverted stuff. But you can be watching an HD movie, then it goes off and you get Bryant Gubel's sports show in 4:3.

"Finally, whats with the unc logo on the UNC HD, is it always there or do they only show it occasionally."

I do believe they show it all the time. If you'll read back a page or two in this thread you'll see some folks very upset about this. I find it annoying, but I'm using an LCD front projector, so it doesn't cause me any harm. I would encourage you to send an email to them at least asking them to rotate it's position for you guys with plasma and CRT RPTVs.
post #282 of 11242 Old 02-28-2003, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtaylor
Hello, I'm a new Greensboro HDTV user, using TW Cable and a Pansonic ED Plasma.

Welcome dtaylor!. I am the Transmitter Supervisor for FOX8 WGHP and I may be able to shed some light on your questions.

Quote:
I was surprised that all the networks with the exeception of nbc were broadcasting in 4:3 ratio. Is this common, particular to TW Cable, is the same signal received over the air?

Right now the only "non-analog" programming is either sports or Primetime. The rest of the time, all of the stations that transmit more than analog on their digital channel, use the side bars for 4:3: programming since it is directly converted from analog to digital for broadcast on the DT channel. WXLV-DT, WUPN-DT, WLXI-DT, and when they come on the air this month (March) WTWB-DT and WGPX-DT will/do upconvert their analog 24/7 and do not pass any HD or widescreen programming.

WLXI-DT stretches an obvious off the air rebroadcast of their channel 61 analog. (looks like a VCR plumbed into the DT transmitter) A lot of times you can see the analog signal fade in and out since their analog transmitter is at Kernersville and the DT is at Level Cross. They save money on an additional microwave link to the DT site since they are upconverting only anyway, and I guess they figure their viewers are not the types to have OTA digital receivers anyway if their DT is not on cable for distribution.

TWC is only offering WFMY-DT, WGHP-DT, WXII-DT, and WXLV-DT at this time. I have heard there is no immediate plans to add the other stations, but it is always up for revision.

WXII-DT and WFMY-DT pass through 1080i widescreen when it is available from their networks. The remainder of the time they upconvert their analog to their digital channel with the side bars. WXII-DT flips back and forth on having side bars and then other times stretching the analog signal to cover the full screen. WGHP-DT transmits 480p since that is all FOX makes available to us. But FOX has now started providing widescreen on just about 90% of all primetime programming except the animated programs and some of the sit-coms. The dramas and sports are all done in 16:9 widescreen including FOX News Sunday. The rest of the time we transmit the side bars with 4:3 programming. We too started out with the 4:3 stretch and later opted to not do that when people complained about how bad it looked on large screens. TWC just passes through what the stations transmit.

WGHP-DT, WXLV-DT, WUPN-DT and WLXI-DT are 24/7.

WFMY-DT is only on from 12:30p to 1:30p weekdays and 8p to 11:30p 7 days and when CBS provides additional HD programming.

WXII-DT is only on from 4p to 12:35a 7 days a week.

Quote:
Even more suprising was NBC, when I checked it they were showing west wing which appeared to be broadcast in 4:3 format but then within the 4:3 signal was letterboxed so that the actual picure had black all around and only filled about 1/2 the screen. Is this a setting I need to change or is that how it is broadcast.

West Wing is the only NBC program that is in widescreen and NOT in 1080i. I don't know why. I have seen others in other markets complain that it is shown in 4:3 letterbox and not in true 16:9. I believe it is sent from NBC that way, according to what I have heard, and this makes no sense. I did notice on this weeks WW that the feed was in widescreen with the peacock bug in the extreme lower right location (denoting widescreen) and the program was in 4:3 letterbox with side bars. Then the peacock bug shifted to the visual field of the 4:3 center cut (where it would be on an analog feed with the black bars remaining as before. This may confirm that NBC IS feeding it this way, but I have no independent confirmation.

Quote:
I also have HD HBO and showtime, which are great in widescreen but of the four channels two were showing 4:3 format movies. Finally, whats with the unc logo on the UNC HD, is it always there or do they only show it occasionally. My daughter will be attending UNC next year but I don't want their logo burned permanantly into my screen.

I do not have cable just DirecTV and there HBO-HD shows its movies in 16:9 and most of their non movie programming, sports shows, "G String Diva's," etc are 4:3 with side bars. Their "prime" series like Sopranos, and now "Six Feet Under" will be shown in 16:9 HD also. I do not have Showtime, so I can't comment.

The secondary UNC channels; PBS Kids, PBSYou, and CPB-Annenberg channel, keep bugs up all the time. Only the main channel that is upconverted from the analog feed has the rotating on and off screen bugs.

Quote:
Great to see a group here from Greensboro. Thanks for any info you can help me out with.

Also checkout www.triad-hdtv.org and www.nchdtv.com. I hope that helps.

post #283 of 11242 Old 03-01-2003, 10:55 AM

Jacksonian & Foxeng,

Thanks for your replies, looks like HD television is not quite ready for prime time yet. It's great being on the cutting edge of technology, kind of reminds me of windows 3.x.

If I ever get my power back I'll get a chance to check it out some more.

Thanks again.
post #284 of 11242 Old 03-02-2003, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dtaylor
Thanks for your replies, looks like HD television is not quite ready for prime time yet. It's great being on the cutting edge of technology, kind of reminds me of windows 3.x.

Well it isn't quite that bad. I CAN watch HD programming just about anytime I want on SOME channel. When color came along in the 60's around here (well the eastern part of the state where I grow up), there were many nights color programs were not available at all. I remember very well our first color TV. It was 1963 and the local TV store didn't have any color TV's in stock and my father went to the next town over and bought an RCA color console and had it delivered on a Tuesday and we had to wait until Sunday night for any color (none of the local stations did local news in color or any locally produced programs in color, and there were LOTS more locally produced programs than now) to watch "The Wonderful World of Disney" in color on NBC. We only had one station transmitting ANY color and it wasn't every night and it was network pass through only.

It was a few years until we got color every night and a few more until color was 99% of the schedule. Remember, color started in 1954 and it was the early eighty's before the NBC peacock stopped announcing programs in color and became just a corp symbol. The reason being all the shows had been shot in black and white and since most syndicated shows started life on the major networks, it takes a few years to get those shows into syndication, hence the prime time only for HD (and color in those days).

I know of NO first run syndication (shows like Baywatch or VIP, some show that never ran on network but was made for syndication only) that is distributed in HD right now. I am sure now they are being shot in HD, but not distributed. That will come in a couple of years.

Take WGHP for an example. We went on the air in 1963 as a back and white station and around 1967 added color to the transmitter to pass what ABC network color programming their was, but it was the early 70's I hear before we got the first studio color cameras. Since NBC developed color, the NBC stations went color MUCH earlier than the CBS or ABC stations. Those networks hated to compete against NBC and then pay RCA (who owned NBC at the time) on the equipment purchases. It was the late sixties that others got into the color equipment game, such as Norelco and CBS and ABC bought mostly non RCA equipment. A lot of the non NBC stations followed suit as well.

I too wish there were more HD distribution, but I plunked down my money knowing what I know (and MY network doesn't EVEN pass HD, just 480p 16:9!) and I am trying to enjoy what i can because I remember the "color revolution" and this is moving MUCH faster than that, and people WANTED color then and most people don't even know now there is a "digital revolution" underway. My wife and I was in Red Amber Brewery last night eating supper and I over heard a party at another table talking about HD. One couple had a HD and the other didn't know anything about it and one was trying to educate the other. Most of the info was correct, but some wasn't, but I thought, well maybe it is starting to catch on if you can now start to hear about it in public.

All in all, digital is ahead of the color revolution, but it all takes time and I think we are doing well. Just hang in there. There is more HD programming every day. It only gets better from here!

post #285 of 11242 Old 03-03-2003, 09:13 PM

Hello,

I am a complete novice, and I am babysitting my brother's Sony 36" widescreen while he attempts a thru-hike of the AT beginning next week. I have a bow-tie antenna (I think), and so far we have been able to get WFMY and ABC-45 (which from reading I now know is not broadcasting in HD-and my brother had me excited about seeing the Oscars!).

My brother suggested I read this site and see if anyone could help me in getting WXII and whatever PBS station I can (4 or 26?). You guys have mentioned that WXII has been having troubles, so perhaps they were just not broadcasting tonight, but if they were, could someone suggest what we could do to receive the signal? Also would it be possible to pick up anything out of Raleigh or Charlotte? (I am in Northern Guilford County off 150 East). We know that we can get at least Roanoke's CBS affiliate also.

Sorry for my ingorance, but everyone has to begin somewhere!
Thanks!
post #286 of 11242 Old 03-04-2003, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by frenchmoon
Hello,

I am a complete novice, and I am babysitting my brother's Sony 36" widescreen while he attempts a thru-hike of the AT beginning next week. I have a bow-tie antenna (I think), and so far we have been able to get WFMY and ABC-45 (which from reading I now know is not broadcasting in HD-and my brother had me excited about seeing the Oscars!).

My brother suggested I read this site and see if anyone could help me in getting WXII and whatever PBS station I can (4 or 26?). You guys have mentioned that WXII has been having troubles, so perhaps they were just not broadcasting tonight, but if they were, could someone suggest what we could do to receive the signal? Also would it be possible to pick up anything out of Raleigh or Charlotte? (I am in Northern Guilford County off 150 East). We know that we can get at least Roanoke's CBS affiliate also.

Sorry for my ingorance, but everyone has to begin somewhere!
Thanks!

An indoor Bow Tie will not get you much from up there. All the stations towers are south of Greensboro along 220 except WXII-DT and WUNL-DT which are on Sauratown Mt. WXII-DT is channel 31 and WUNL-DT is channel 32. Charlotte and Raleigh are out with a indoor Bow Tie. Just too far for and indoor antenna. I did see HD on WXII-DT Sunday night so they seem to be running again. WFMY-DT is channel 51 and is only on the air from 8pm to 11:35pm nightly.

Depending on where in the peaks and valleys of 150, you may get some of the locals better than others with the Bow Tie.

Wish I had better news, but if your brother had cable, sat or an outdoor antenna, DT life would be MUCH better! (Hey as a thank you, get him one of those and use it for yourself while he is gone!)

post #287 of 11242 Old 03-04-2003, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All in all, digital is ahead of the color revolution, but it all takes time and I think we are doing well. Just hang in there. There is more HD programming every day. It only gets better from here!

That's exactly right. I waited until TWC started showing the locals to get on board, that was my threshold. But things are really picking up speed this year. I think '03 will really be the big transition year where people start to find out about HD. ESPN should play a big part in that awareness since men are usually the technology buyers as well as the sports watchers. I watched them plugging the Grammys on ESPN, making some connection between jocks and rock stars because the parent company owns CBS. So I'm sure they will do a lot to promote HD this year.

My wife said last night, "once you go HD, you can't go back." And she was talking about the difference between HD and the upconverted (and pretty good looking) stuff, not the difference between SD and HD. After just 2 weeks with HD, she'll accept nothing less than 1080i. I'm hoping most people will feel the same way and that the competition will really push networks (like FOX ) to get their act together. Right now I'll watch shows I've never even heard about on HD stations rather than watch SD versions of shows I like.
post #288 of 11242 Old 03-04-2003, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Right now I'll watch shows I've never even heard about on HD stations rather than watch SD versions of shows I like.

That's pretty much the way I see it, too. Thank goodness for CBS!

Pam

Pam
post #289 of 11242 Old 03-04-2003, 09:01 AM

During last Thursday's ice storm, one of the first things to go in my neighborhood was TWC. My neighbor, a true CSI junkie, was in a panic. I told him, "Relax. We don't need no stinkin' cable. I've got over-the-air HDTV! Come on over to my house tonight. You've never seen CSI until you've seen it in HDTV! It'll blow your socks off! "

I should have never bragged like that. Mother Nature punished me.

My antenna was no match for the 70-year-old oak that crashed down on my house:

Thanks to the quality work of Bill Davis Antenna Service, my mast mount remained securely attached to my house. Good work Bill!:

But, my Channel Master rotor is a goner. The mounting flange broke:

My poor Channel Master 4228. I really liked than antenna. May it rest in peace (or, in pieces):

On the bright side, with that tree out of the way, my reception may improve. I can now use a much taller mast.

And, I won't need to buy fire wood for years to come. Heh.

post #290 of 11242 Old 03-04-2003, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

My sincerest condolences on the loss of your antenna.
post #291 of 11242 Old 03-04-2003, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MrPhred
On the bright side, with that tree out of the way, my reception may improve. I can now use a much taller mast.

And, I won't need to buy fire wood for years to come. Heh.

There's nothing like turning lemons into lemonade, is there?

Pam

Pam
post #292 of 11242 Old 03-05-2003, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right now I'll watch shows I've never even heard about on HD stations rather than watch SD versions of shows I like.

I am still a content person, but if I have a choice of a really BAD SD show and a HD show I would normally not be interested in, I will watch the HD show. But if the only way I can get a fix of a certain show I like is SD only, I will watch it over a HD show that is of little interest to me.

post #293 of 11242 Old 03-05-2003, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My poor Channel Master 4228. I really liked than antenna. May it rest in peace (or, in pieces)

It didn't look that bad in the picture. It could use some rebending, but if you act real sweat to it, I bet it will receive again!

The little $19.95 RS UHF only antenna I put up at the transmitter to pick up other DT's is toast though and it had NOTHING to do with falling trees!

I have been working at WGHP for 11 years and in radio for 12 years before that, so I have seen damage ice storms will do around towers. I have never seen anything like this.

We took about 3/4 of an inch on the tower (which isn't unusual) but when it melts and falls, the wind is usually blowing and it disperses it over a large area and you get minor damage at best. Well this storm, the winds were calm and EVERYTHING came STRAIGHT DOWN. It all fell in a 75 foot radius of the tower. Within this zone is the back third of the transmitter building. We use a system of wood pallets placed on top of a flat wooden roof that absorbs the impact and they work pretty good. In the 11 years I have been working at the transmitter, we have never had roof damage due to an ice storm, until now.

About 70% of all the pallets in this area are now kindling wood at best and will have to be replaced. And over the back wall I noticed a bad leak in the roof. (luckily the affected area is over the back carport) The front of the building sustain the usual couple of busted boards on a few pallets that get repaired every year. The ground around the tower in this "hit zone" looks like someone took a garden tiller and hit and missed the ground. I guess the best way to describe them as mega sized golf divots a couple of inches deep and 6 to 12 inches wide. The whole area is littered with them. The impacts were so intense it threw mud on the building! I will need to pressure wash the entire building now!

I will try and get some pictures this week and post them before they start to wear away. I suspect we will not have grass in that area for a year or more.

At home I am more fortunate. I only lost my 15 year old metal storage building that was rusting away when a tree limb hit it. Life goes on!

post #294 of 11242 Old 03-05-2003, 06:22 AM

I originally thought I'd be able to fix my 4228. But, upon closer inspection, I discovered about half of the insulator blocks that hold the bowties are broken, and one of the bowtie elements snapped. I'll just hand it to the insurance adjuster (if he ever shows up) and tell him to fix it

I'd love to see some photos of the ice damage from your tower, foxeng. I'd be scared to get anywhere close to that thing after an ice storm. I heard one of the guys from WFMY lost his windshield to tower ice.

post #295 of 11242 Old 03-05-2003, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'd love to see some photos of the ice damage from your tower, foxeng. I'd be scared to get anywhere close to that thing after an ice storm. I heard one of the guys from WFMY lost his windshield to tower ice.

There are two rules in broadcasting for transmitter people:

Rule One, WATCH WHERE YOU PUT YOUR FINGERS IN TRANSMITTERS
Rule Two, IF ICE IS FALLING OFF THE TOWER, STAY AWAY!

post #296 of 11242 Old 03-08-2003, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well we have had a whole NEW transmitter installed for WGHP-DT. Well really it is the same transmitter with all new guts put in it. We have spent the last week or so having the transmitter manufacture in checking out a lot of little goofy things that I have been noticing on our DT transmitter. After two visits by the factory rep, he decided the needed to replace ALL the RF power modules! SO HE DID! That improved performance quite a bit. Last night I was checking things out at home and I was getting a MUCH higher signal than I have. I usually run a 35 and I was getting a 54 last night. I don't know if it had anything to do with the weather or not, but I will keep an eye on it. Those with OTA receivers, if you would keep an eye out, I would appreciate it. Those on the fringe may see an improvement, as well.

Secondly, The months of March and October bring what is called sun outages. Simply, it is when the sun moves directly behind a satellite and the solar noise is so intense, the satellite signal is overridden. This effects every satellite, but different times due to the location in the sky and the receiver on the ground. It usually runs about 10 days and the signal slowly gets worse for about 15 minutes over this 10 day period and at the height, it gets so bad you lose the signal completely for a couple of minutes. If you watch the cable or sat channels during the day, you may have seen this and wondered what was going on.

For FOX this is usually not a problem since the weekend is the only time it affects them and all the networks transmit their signals on two different satellites all the time anyway and they provide the affiliates with two receivers so when the signal goes bad on one, you switch to the other for the duration of the outage and then switch back before the second one goes out. With DTV, only one receiver is provided at this time and when sun outage happens this Sunday during the race, we will have to switch to the analog feed for the duration of the outage.

So those of you watching the race on WGHP-DT will see it start in widescreen then around 1:30 it will go to 4:3 and then when the next local break occurs, it will go back to widescreen. (or so we have planned it! )

Just thought I would let you know so you don't think we screwed up!

post #297 of 11242 Old 03-25-2003, 09:09 AM

hi FoxEng,

quick question, I notice end of last week, the HD on Fox was convert back to 4:3 when I watch a show Friday night. Last night I check, it has gray bars on the left and right hand side now. Is the gray bars going to stay? I am on TWC here.

Talos
post #298 of 11242 Old 03-25-2003, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by talosman2
hi FoxEng,

quick question, I notice end of last week, the HD on Fox was convert back to 4:3 when I watch a show Friday night. Last night I check, it has gray bars on the left and right hand side now. Is the gray bars going to stay? I am on TWC here.

Talos

Since we mostly send 4:3 material, it was decided to try and help those with burn in problems with something besides your basic black so we (me) put up the gray bars. Network will send black bars when they send 4:3 and there is nothing we can do about that. Of course when network sends 16:9, there will be NO bars of any color!

If the gray doesn't suit you, I can change it to any color you want. Anyone for a hot pink?

post #299 of 11242 Old 03-26-2003, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm.....pink....

Nope - I don't think so - boring gray is quite alright by me!

Pam

Pam
post #300 of 11242 Old 03-30-2003, 05:00 PM

gray is fine with me, just didn't know why sometimes it is black and sometimes it is gray. So black can burn screens? BTW, the week before, the shows are in 4:3 only for some reasons. I am glad the widescreen shows are back this past Friday night. I really like that show "John Doe". Sad Farscape is gone thou... for my Friday night lineup.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page