Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pam--Thanks! I guess we don't have many other fellow TWC'ers around these parts on the forum.

foxeng--Won't hold you to it, but that would be very sweet!

Now if TWC can just pick up Discovery like Raleigh and Charlotte, and then jump in with ESPNHD, I'd be all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did you say - Discovery and ESPN HD????

I'll email TWC today!

Pam
PS Faux finished the trim in the HT til 11:30 last night. Hopefully I'll hook the receiver up tonight.

Pam
post #363 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:17 PM

After getting my HDTV set on July 5th, I'm ready to make the plunge into getting an OTA antenna. I've currently got D*. I've seen comments about Channel Master having good gear, and someone posted a nice message about Bill Davis Antenna and how his handiwork made it through the ice storm.

So, I've got just a few questions: Anyone got a number for Bill Davis Antenna? And where can I purchase Channel Master equipment in Winston? Since some of the channels have towers to the north, and some to the south, is it necessary to have a rotor to swivel a CM 4228 in order to pick them all up? Or is a stationary 4228 with a pre-amp powerful enough?

I tried to read all 19 pages of this thread (!!!!) this afternoon, so I apologize if these questions have been answered, but I didn't think I saw them.
post #364 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:27 PM

That's good news about WXLV, foxeng. I hope the rumor turns out to be true. (However, I'm still mad at them, so I'll probably continue to watch WSOC out of Charlotte whenever I can. After my initial bragging about being able to receive WSOC, I've since ocasionally had trouble receiving their signal. But, when it comes in, it's sweet - complete with Dolby5.1!)

I notice WXLV's website now says, "Eventually we will also broadcast our signal in HDTV, which stands for High-definition Digital Television- a standard with even higher-quality imaging and sound, as well as a widescreen format"

Only squares watch square TV.
post #365 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Originally posted by ShackShock
So, I've got just a few questions: Anyone got a number for Bill Davis Antenna? And where can I purchase Channel Master equipment in Winston? Since some of the channels have towers to the north, and some to the south, is it necessary to have a rotor to swivel a CM 4228 in order to pick them all up? Or is a stationary 4228 with a pre-amp powerful enough?

I don't know about Bill Davis, but several people here at the station have used Roger Goodwin at Audio Video Installations-292-4231. I have personally never used him, but I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about him. I don't know of a place in Winston-Salem, but Dow Electronics in Greensboro handles CM, that is where I bought my 4228, and yes you will need a rotator for you 4228 since 12 and 26 are on Sauratown Mt and the rest are south of Greensboro between Level Cross and Randleman.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #366 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

My emails to WXLV have always gone unanswered. I posted the response I got from TWC Greensboro about the upcoming channels. I'm hoping that Raleigh and Charlotte being online with Discovery will bode well for us. Curiously, TWC seemed much more firm about the INDEMAND HD channels. But they'll have to get this DD 5.1 issue worked out before I pay for analog sound.

ShackShock, not to be an antenna-hater, but with TWC offering the locals, HBO, SHO, and soon hopefully Discovery, In-Demand, and maybe ESPN and giving you the HD box for free, why go with a big bulky antenna setup? Just curious. I'm not a cable lover, but they do seem to be offering one of the sweetest HD deals around when you consider what satellite customers are paying for equipment and programming packages.
post #367 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MrPhred
That's good news about WXLV, foxeng. I hope the rumor turns out to be true.

I can't divulge sources, but this one would know. It was not anyone connected with WXLV but if this source says so, I believe them.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #368 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

jacksonian,

i just emailed TWC about the 5.1 situation and about adding the DiscoveryHD and ESPN HD. I'll report back when I hear from them.

Pam

Pam
post #369 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacksonian
ShackShock, not to be an antenna-hater, but with TWC offering the locals, HBO, SHO, and soon hopefully Discovery, In-Demand, and maybe ESPN and giving you the HD box for free, why go with a big bulky antenna setup?

I haven't had cable in 5 years and I pay less for TV now than I did before and I get all the HD that D* is offering and the locals, plus the Charlotte DT's and the Raleigh DT's and the Roanoke, VA DT's. That is more than cable gives you. I don't mind an antenna on the roof. As a matter of fact I just ordered a high powered VHF only antenna to add to my 4228 for VHF DXing. I got hooked again after not having an OTA for 30 years. It is nice being able to see stations in other markets when the locals preempt or time shift.

To each his own. YMMV.

(I know, I am a first class GEEK!)

post #370 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM

Welcome, ShackShock.

The number for Bill Davis Antenna is (336) 288-6585. Tell him "Fred the Hippie" sent you. He supplied me with the first set of Channel Master gear I purchased. I believe he gets his gear through Dow Electronics, a distributor in Greensboro, who, when I last checked, refused to sell Channel Master equipment to the public.

I found it impossible to find Channel Master equipment anywhere in the Triad, other than going through Davis. The last time I purchased Channel Master equipment (about a month ago), I did so over the Internet, from www.warrenelectronics.com. I was quite pleased with their prices and service. You might also check some of this forum's sponsers.

I'm afraid there's no way you can skip buying a rotor. I've found it's a necessity. I couldn't get by without a pre-amp, either.

I'm pleased with my set-up. It includes a Channel Master 4228 antenna (the highest gain, non-commercial, UHF antenna they make), a 7777 pre-amp (although a 7775 would work fine if you're not going to going to attempt to pull in any VHF stations), and a 9521A rotor.

Good luck. I hope you pull in a ton of stations!

post #371 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by foxeng

(I know, I am a first class GEEK!)

Aren't we all????

pam

Pam
post #372 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by PamW
jacksonian,

i just emailed TWC about the 5.1 situation and about adding the DiscoveryHD and ESPN HD. I'll report back when I hear from them.

Pam

I hope I am wrong, but I was talking to the TWC guys today and they didn't seem too sure when Discovery HD or ESPN HD would happen. I would take that as not in the near future, but with Raleigh and Charlotte having Discovery HD, it would seem logical that the Triad would have it too, but I do know each district is run differently than the other districts.

post #373 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 02:00 PM

One quick question about the rotor. With the 9521 rotor, it says you can program in each channel. So, does that mean if I need to move the rotor, I have to have line of sight with the 9521's remote in order to rotate it?

Also, I know there is no such thing as "standard" installation, but about how much does Bill Davis charge? I'm hoping to put the antenna on my firestack and then run it down into the basement where my TV is.
post #374 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 02:47 PM

ShackShock, there are three pieces to the 9521 - the rotator motor (which mounts outside on your mast), a controller (about the size of a pack of cigarettes, that goes inside your house), and an IR remote control (which you point at the controller). Since the remote control transmits commands to the controller using IR, it must be line-of-sight. My controller receives signals from the remote just fine from 40 feet away.

I can't recall exactly what Davis charged me. He gave me a package price - mast mounted on the chimney, antenna, pre-amp, rotor, mast, all wiring, labor - everything. I do recall that I thought his price was reasonable.

post #375 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

foxeng, thanks for the tips. The fact that we are here dictates that we are all geeks as Pam says. I would love to get WRAL in Raleigh too. I figured that would be the reason you had an antenna. I can't do one in my neighborhood, I'm the homeowner's association president and I'd have to make myself take it down.

Pam, thanks for sending the email. Maybe if we make some noise at least someone will know we want it. I think they'll catch on sooner or later. Maybe a Christmas present?
post #376 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

jacksonian,

My email got forwarded to the engineering and marketing groups of TWC. Hopefully I'll have an answer soon. Now I need to go work on my HT! (More pouncing of copper , then silver - faux finish - it ain't for the faint of heart!)

Pam

Pam
post #377 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacksonian
foxeng, thanks for the tips. The fact that we are here dictates that we are all geeks as Pam says. I would love to get WRAL in Raleigh too. I figured that would be the reason you had an antenna. I can't do one in my neighborhood, I'm the homeowner's association president and I'd have to make myself take it down.

Have you read http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html? That is the federal ruling overriding HOA to allow OTA and dishs, as long as you follow the rules outlined in this. You may have an "out!"

post #378 of 11277 Old 07-15-2003, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, that would look real bad. I think I'll stick with TWC until they screw up. That's good info, though. I don't think my wife would go for it either Hell, I had to make sure not a single speaker, component, or wire was visible for my theater. I'm lucky I get the big screen!
post #379 of 11277 Old 07-17-2003, 08:13 AM

I've made a call to Bill Davis antenna on Tuesday, but haven't heard back. I'm going to try again tomorrow during normal business hours (left a message the other night), but in the meantime, does anyone else have a good experience with a company that they'd like to share? Likewise, anyone have info on a bad antenna installer that I maybe should stay away from?

I've also got to call my homeowners' association and see how big of a pain they're going to be. I put up my dish without asking, and no one said anything. I've armed myself with the FCC regs that someone posted on here (thanks!), but don't know how anal retentive this crew will be, since I've only lived here for about 10 months.
post #380 of 11277 Old 07-17-2003, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I've made a call to Bill Davis antenna on Tuesday, but haven't heard back. I'm going to try again tomorrow during normal business hours (left a message the other night), but in the meantime, does anyone else have a good experience with a company that they'd like to share? Likewise, anyone have info on a bad antenna installer that I maybe should stay away from?

Several people here at the station have used Roger Goodwin at Audio Video Installations-292-4231. I have personally never used him, but I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about him.

Quote:
I've also got to call my homeowners' association and see how big of a pain they're going to be. I put up my dish without asking, and no one said anything. I've armed myself with the FCC regs that someone posted on here (thanks!), but don't know how anal retentive this crew will be, since I've only lived here for about 10 months.

Just remember, you have Federal law on your side so what ever the HOA says, as long as you stick to the rules as outlined in the OTARD, the HOA has no case and if they go after you, you will have legal recourse, something I am sure the HOA lawyers will want to avoid, particularly if you are in the right.

post #381 of 11277 Old 07-17-2003, 01:27 PM

Flash the FCC regs and a little self-deprecating charm, and they roll over. The architectural chair of the homeowners' board said it wouldn't be a problem. So, now it's just a matter of time. May have to call this other guy, as Bill Davis hasn't called me back yet.

Anyone have any other installation recommendations or stories that you'd like to share?

Time to start searching for some Channel Master stuff. Anyone have experience with their reception in the Peacehaven and 421 area of Winston?
post #382 of 11277 Old 07-17-2003, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Flash the FCC regs and a little self-deprecating charm, and they roll over. The architectural chair of the homeowners' board said it wouldn't be a problem. So, now it's just a matter of time.

When the Feds are on your side, it is hard to argue. I bet the HOA has seen the OTARD before, but they would rather NOT advertise it or EVREYONE would have one!

Quote:
Anyone have experience with their reception in the Peacehaven and 421 area of Winston?

With an outside antenna you should get all the locals, as well as Charlotte and Roanoke.

post #383 of 11277 Old 07-18-2003, 01:00 PM

I got calls back from Roger Goodwin this morning, as well as Bill Davis. Looks like Mr. Goodwin will get the business b/c Bill Davis doesn't want to drive "way out" to Winston. Said something about HD antennas being finicky and that he sometimes has to make several trips back out to adjust them. Wait a minute, doesn't he get paid to come back out and make adjustments? So, he's basically turning down work? I hope he's busy with enough work in G'boro.

Also, spoke to my salesman at Now Audio Video, where Roger Goodwin worked before going solo. Says he does real good work and is a good guy. That makes me feel a lot better, especially since no one on here seems to have had previous experience with him.

Now, it's time to start looking to actually buy the equipment, as it sounds like Dow Electronics has everything on back order. Warren Electronics on the Internet seems to have the best prices. Anyone have any experience ordering from them?
post #384 of 11277 Old 07-18-2003, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
...can anyone check to see if WGPX-DT 14-1 or 16-1 is on the air? I've got a stabilized carrier offset (around 2.5 KHz) on 14 and that's all it can be. They'd most likely be on the air from 12:30p-12:30a or something similar, if WPXR-DT is any indication.

Thanks!

- Trip
In Charlotte Co., VA

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #385 of 11277 Old 07-19-2003, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip in VA
...can anyone check to see if WGPX-DT 14-1 or 16-1 is on the air? I've got a stabilized carrier offset (around 2.5 KHz) on 14 and that's all it can be. They'd most likely be on the air from 12:30p-12:30a or something similar, if WPXR-DT is any indication.

Thanks!

- Trip
In Charlotte Co., VA

Last time I heard, it was going to be a while before they came on. (no money) They have an extension pending at the FCC till Dec 31 of this year. Their current one expires next month if I remember correctly. I'll check to see if there is s signal on there tonight when I go into work and look at a spectrum analyzer.

There is an LPTV (WXIV) on 14 within 5 miles of WGPX's tower that is on the air (that will be off when they do come on) and that might be the signal you are seeing and the center carrier of that would about 2.5 Mhz above the channel edge.

post #386 of 11277 Old 07-19-2003, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
Last time I heard, it was going to be a while before they came on. (no money) They have an extension pending at the FCC till Dec 31 of this year. Their current one expires next month if I remember correctly. I'll check to see if there is s signal on there tonight when I go into work and look at a spectrum analyzer.

There is an LPTV (WXIV) on 14 within 5 miles of WGPX's tower that is on the air (that will be off when they do come on) and that might be the signal you are seeing and the center carrier of that would about 2.5 Mhz above the channel edge.

If it was them, the carrier would be at 158.75 or 160 KHz, not 2.5. I got that carrier again this morning, but when I turned the antenna toward Greensboro, I LOST the carrier. Hmm... (WLFB-DT?)

On another note, is there anyone else who still has problems with WUPN-DT? I've only gotten 3 Greensboro channels before--WFMY had about a 20 (SNR), WXII about a 17, and I've had up to a 19 on WUPN, but it won't give any multicast options--it acts like there's nothing there at all, and when I called I was told it wasn't at their end, but they'd check on it. It STILL didn't work when I got it this morning!

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #387 of 11277 Old 07-19-2003, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip in VA
On another note, is there anyone else who still has problems with WUPN-DT? I've only gotten 3 Greensboro channels before--WFMY had about a 20 (SNR), WXII about a 17, and I've had up to a 19 on WUPN, but it won't give any multicast options--it acts like there's nothing there at all, and when I called I was told it wasn't at their end, but they'd check on it. It STILL didn't work when I got it this morning!

WUPN-DT has two streams up all the time, one is a 480i and one is a 1080i stream. Only the 480i stream which is listed as 48-1 on receivers but is really the second stream, has any programming on it. The HD stream has either color bars that are generated inside the encoder or nothing. The PSIP data on the HD stream is not complete and therefore doesn't display a picture correctly.

All Triad stations operate below their maximum power levels except WUNL-DT and WUPN-DT. WUNL-DT is operating at around 500,000 and WUPN-DT is at around 700,000. WFMY-DT, WXII-DT and WXLV-DT operate at half power at around 500,000 each and the remaining stations operate at flea power in the 4 to 9 kilowatt range. WUPN-DT, WXLV-DT and WUNL-DT operate with a directional pattern and the flea power stations all have directional patterns no matter what their full power patterns are and WGPX has asked for lower power with a directional pattern.

WXII-DT and WUNL-DT operate from north of Winston-Salem on Sauratown Mt while all the other stations operate from 3 different towers clustered within 5 miles of each other just off US 220 north between Level Cross and Randleman between Greensboro and Asheboro.

post #388 of 11277 Old 07-19-2003, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Trip in VA,

WGPX-DT IS NOT on the air. I am looking at the channel with a spectrum analyzer and all I am seeing is WXIV-LP's analog signature. It is now 8:22pm which is prime time when all DT's that are on are required to be on and all the DT's in this market are on except WGPX-DT.

Don't know who or what you are seeing, but it ain't from here.

post #389 of 11277 Old 07-25-2003, 06:26 AM

Any word on our local ABC affiliate (channel 45, whatever its letters are), moving to HD. I thought they already were, but guess not.
post #390 of 11277 Old 07-25-2003, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This is for Jacksonian and any other TWC folks out there-

I did hook up the receiver yesterday and found HBO HD in 5.1 surround. No other stations in 5.1. Got the sound calibrated - nice!!

I still haven't heard from TWC on the other issues as far as HD stations being added - i.e., Discovery HD or ESPN HD.

I'll ask again in a few weeks.

Pam

Pam
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page