Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 193 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #5761 of 11368 Old 04-26-2008, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went to WalMart and purchased the Philips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna for my sons TV in his apartment. Tried it on my set with the issues of PBS channels 26. It worked like a charm just from being held indoors. Might get one for myself and combine with my other set up until I figure something else out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5762 of 11368 Old 05-04-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I know that E* was using Anik F3 at 118.8 for Charlotte and Raleigh HD LIL. Does anyone know for sure which bird/transponder the GSO/WS/HP HD-LIL are on via E*?

Thanks
post #5763 of 11368 Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

I know that E* was using Anik F3 at 118.8 for Charlotte and Raleigh HD LIL. Does anyone know for sure which bird/transponder the GSO/WS/HP HD-LIL are on via E*?

Thanks

A friend of mine at work just got it I believe she said it was at 61.5. They could not get a clear view of all so they put in a second dish.
post #5764 of 11368 Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Has anybody else seen a problem with WFMY HD on TWC tonight? NCIS doesn't appear to be in HD. There are black bars on the side in addition to vote totals, making the program take up maybe 1/4 of what its supposed to.
post #5765 of 11368 Old 05-07-2008, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I would suspect there is no problem, just they don't have all of the HD graphics equipment to do what needs to be done for elections so they have to go back to SD to show that information. Many stations have that same problem right now.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #5766 of 11368 Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

man, someone at American Idol sure screwed up the audio mix last night. Asleep at the mixining console. I mix live audio to tape for our broadcast on WLXI 61 and that mixer must have had cotten in the ears to not hear that the band was missing in the mix and there was no reverb on the vocals either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5767 of 11368 Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FCC Sets Wilmington, N.C., as Digital-Switch Test Market, Sources Say

By Michele Greppi and Ira Teinowitz

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is set to announce Thursday that it will run a test of the switch to digital broadcasting signals in Wilmington, N.C., the smallest TV market in the Tarheel state, sources said.

The congressionally mandated national switch to digital takes place Feb. 19. The FCC didn't return multiple calls seeking comment.

The test in North Carolina, Mr. Martin's home state, is likely to take place before the November sweeps ratings period. If things do not go smoothly during the trial run, it could affect stations’ revenues during one of the months used to set advertising rates for the next fiscal quarter.

The Wilmington market, served by affiliates of all the major networks, is the 135th largest measured by Nielsen Media Research, which says 179,760 of the 182,500 homes in the area have televisions.

WWAY-TV, owned by Morris Multimedia, is the ABC affiliate in the area. NBC-affiliated WECT-TV and Fox-affiliated WSFX-TV are owned by Raycom Media. WILM-TV is the CBS affiliate owned by Capitol Broadcasting Co. WMYW-LP is the MyNetworkTV affiliate, and The CW has a cable-only affiliate. The market gets its public broadcast signal from WUNJ-TV.

Local broadcasters did not return calls seeking comment.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps has been pushing for a test in a small market that met certain criteria, including that all broadcast stations’ digital signals already are on the air on the same channels where they will be found when the official digital switch takes place.

The idea is to learn, among other things, how many TV homes may be unprepared for the transition, which will require viewers to have digital sets, boxes that can convert digital broadcast signals to analog on older sets, or delivery of programs by cable or satellite services.

The sources who confirmed the announcement of the test weren't able to say when it may begin. However, the trial run will be preceded by a big education campaign by local stations about converter boxes and the availability of coupons worth $40 toward the purchase of the converters through local retailers.

Throughout the country, some 1 million coupons have been used as part of the National Telecommunications & Information Administration’s converter box coupon program, according to recent information.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/05/s...mington_nc.php

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #5768 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wilmington DTV Switch: Sept. 8, 2008
135th Largest DMA To Become First Transition Test Market

By Ted Hearn -- Multichannel News, 5/7/2008 7:09:00 PM
Washington—Wilmington, N.C., will become the first market to switch to all-digital broadcasting on Sept.8, 2008, Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo said Wednesday.

“We'll be the first in the country,” Saffo said, adding that he was “honored” to have his city take the lead.

The test is slated to begin Monday Sept. 8, a week after Labor Day.

The Federal Communications Commission is planning to announce Wednesday afternoon that Wilmington will be selected as the TV transition test market, an FCC official said.

By law, all full-power TV stations need to terminate analog service on Feb. 17, 2009. FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has been coming under pressure to find a test market to determine the level of preparation in a typical market prior to the national switch over.

FCC Democrat Michael Copps has been nagging Martin for months to find a test market.

"This is very good news for the DTV transition. Real-world experience is an extremely important step—although only one of many—that will help minimize consumer disruption next February. Broadway shows open on the road to work out the kinks before opening night. The DTV transition deserves no less," Copps said in a statement Wednesday night.

Saffo said he is optimistic that his city will be ready to conduct a smooth transition soon after Labor Day.

“The FCC has assured me that they are going to come down here and do everything in their power ...to make this as smooth as possible,” Saffo said. “We look at the FCC as being a partner in this.”

According to Nielsen Media Research, Wilmington is the 135th largest TV market out of 210.

Saffo said he was well-aware that the eyes of the nation would be following DTV developments in his coastal city.

“It's a huge opportunity for Wilmington to pave the way for the rest of country,” Saffo said. “I am looking forward to working with [the FCC] and honored to be the first community in the country to do it.”

Nielsen has cable and satellite TV providers serving 92.6% of Wilmington area households, leaving just 7.4% relying exclusively on free TV. Nationally, the broadcast-only audience ranges from 11% to 19% of households, depending on source of the data.

According to the Center for Public Integrity's media ownership database, the Wilmington market has 10 licensed TV stations.

The city of Wilmington, situated close to the Atlantic shoreline, has a population of 91,137, according to U.S. Census Bureau data for 2003.

Analog TV sets that rely exclusively on free over the air broadcasting will cease to function unless they are adapted to display digital signals.

The federal government plans to spend up to $1.5 billion to subsidize consumer acquisition of digital-to-analog converter boxes. The program allows each household to receive two $40 coupons to defray converter box costs. On Tuesday, the U.S. Commerce Department announced that 1 million coupons had been used since people began applying on Jan. 1.

Saffo said that ensuring broadcast-only viewers were not left behind was essential.

“Obviously we have some concerns,” Saffo said. “Our concern is at those folks who do not have a converter box are going to be given those converter boxes ...”

In theory, cable and satellite TV homes won't be affected by the transition unless they have analog TV sets not connected to one of the pay TV services.

post #5769 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It looks like DirecTV will start to take the digital signals of the local stations and downconvert them for SD starting in June in preparation for the transition. This means they will stop receiving the analog signals and use the digital signals in place of the analog signals for SD LIL. No change is expected for the HD LIL signals. According to DirecTV sources, the HD LCP (local collection point) is at WFMY.

post #5770 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

It looks like DirecTV will start to take the digital signals of the local stations and downconvert them for SD starting in June in preparation for the transition. This means they will stop receiving the analog signals and use the digital signals in place of the analog signals for SD LIL. No change is expected for the HD LIL signals. According to DirecTV sources, the HD LCP (local collection point) is at WFMY.

Just to clarify, they will be taking the same digital signal as HD LiL and using that for SD LiL? Any word on what they will do with the 16x9 content? Will they letter box it or crop?
post #5771 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregchak View Post

Just to clarify, they will be taking the same digital signal as HD LiL and using that for SD LiL? Any word on what they will do with the 16x9 content? Will they letter box it or crop?

I can envision some interesting issues.. A pillar-boxed,stretched, letter-boxed and cropped version anyone? And when a storm alert, or breaking news comes through and the image is compressed to a corner, ouch...

The issues are identical to those who connect one of the new $40. ATSC tuner/converter boxes to their SDTV, except DirectTV will decide if they should zoom or not. (no way to please everybody)

Joe L.
post #5772 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, the same signal that you see in HD will be downconverted to SD. The AR will be station determined.

post #5773 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FCC Confirms Wilmington as Digital Test Market
By Ira Teinowitz and Julieanne Smolinski

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin has formally selected Wilmington, N.C., as the test market for the digital transition.

“It will help us spot issues that we need to address throughout the country,” Mr. Martin told a Washington news conference today, surrounded by the mayor of Wilmington and local broadcasters.

The announcement confirms TVWeek’s report that Mr. Martin would select his home state for the dry run of the congressionally mandated switch.

Nielsen ranks the Wilmington market as the 135th largest of major-network affiliates. Beginning at noon on Sept. 8, WWAY-TV (ABC), WSFX-TV (Fox), WECT-TV (NBC), WILM-LP (CBS), and W51CW (Trinity Broadcasting) will broadcast only digital signals to their viewers in the five North Carolina counties that make up the market.

Wilmington PBS station WUNJ-TV will continue to broadcast in both analog and digital until the national transition, set for Feb. 17. The station is part of UNC-TV, the state’s public TV network; it said today that it was concerned that turning off its analog signal in the midst of hurricane season might deprive viewers of needed emergency information.

Mr. Martin said today that the FCC would have full-time staff in Wilmington through the transition to speak and attend events ranging from the riverfront festival to the blueberry festival. He said the agency would prepare public service announcements, outdoor billboards and posters promoting the transition.

Wilmington was chosen for the test run because all of its commercial stations have completed construction of their DTV channels and are operating at full post-transition power.

Jonathan Collegio, the National Association of Broadcasters' VP of the digital television transition, said in a statement: “The FCC-initiated experiment in Wilmington can shed light on a number of issues surrounding the national DTV transition in February 2009. The results must be objectively reviewed to determine how or whether the findings can be applied nationwide. NAB will be fully supportive of our local television broadcasters in this effort."

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps, who had been to England to watch its switchover, had pushed for a test before the national switch. Today he praised both the FCC and local broadcasters for voluntarily agreeing to it.

“It’s not risk-free. It’s not problem-free,” he said.

While Mr. Martin suggested Wilmington’s switch would offer valuable information, Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein said he was concerned that Wilmington would be more a showplace than a real test. The kind of effort the agency is putting into making sure Wilmington goes right is unlikely to be there when the rest of the country switches.

“The question is whether it is a real test or a staged dress rehearsal,” said Mr. Adelstein.

Broadcasters said they expected some disruption in advertising and viewership during the switch, but that it would have occurred anyway in February.

“Whether we do the transition in September or we do it in February, we are going to have some disruption to work through,” said Jim Goodmon, president-CEO of Capitol Broadcasting, which owns WILM-LP.

“If you don’t know the transition is coming in Wilmington, you won’t be breathing. But I don’t know how we are not going to have a disruption. We are going to have a disruption. We are going to make it as small as we can.”

Paul McTear, president-CEO of Raycom Media, which owns WECT-TV, said the high level of cable and satellite households in the market—93%—together with the number that already have requested discount coupons for converter boxes, meant few households would lose TV service. He predicted the biggest problem would be with second sets.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2008/05/f...ton_as_dig.php

post #5774 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

foxeng,

Would seem the next many months will be exciting and stressful for you and your colleagues.

I find the 93% cable+sat penetration for the Wilmington market interesting. Is the # similar in our market?

I wonder what's the average # of analog sets deployed in households that rely on OTA exclusively.

Lately, I've been asking friends and colleagues about their understanding of what is going to happen next February.I would guess based on my too small, non scientific sample That 30% really understand, another 30% have a vague idea and the other 40% are clueless.

This country is going to see how much spent on political ads between now and November? And the FCC has an educational budget of what?

I mean this is TV we're talkin about

Joe
post #5775 of 11368 Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

foxeng,

Would seem the next many months will be exciting and stressful for you and your colleagues.

The Wilmington issue doesn't effect us here; but it could have. Here are the variables that got Wilmington the nod. Chairman Martin is from Charlotte, he wanted a market in his home state. All of the digitals for Wilmington are on the air, at full power from their final locations. No other NC market meets the second criteria. Had we not been moving back to 8 post transition, this market would have been prime. since everyone else is where they are going to be.

Quote:

I find the 93% cable+sat penetration for the Wilmington market interesting. Is the # similar in our market?

We are at 85% and that is the national average. Locally, TWC has 50% by themselves. Sat combined has 15% and the rest are small cablecos.

Quote:

I wonder what's the average # of analog sets deployed in households that rely on OTA exclusively.

No one really knows. That is the huge unknown here.

Quote:

Lately, I've been asking friends and colleagues about their understanding of what is going to happen next February.I would guess based on my too small, non scientific sample That 30% really understand, another 30% have a vague idea and the other 40% are clueless.

This country is going to see how much spent on political ads between now and November? And the FCC has an educational budget of what?

I mean this is TV we're talkin about

Joe

Well because it IS TV, it isn't as important as the political process.

post #5776 of 11368 Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P1400108

Greensboro-Winston-Salem, NC
SD
496-F Gallimore Dairy Road
Greensboro, NC 27409

HD
1615 Phillips Ave
Greensboro, NC 27405

1615 Phillips Avenue is clearly WFMY.
Shockingly, 496-F Gallimore Dairy Road is Time Warner.
post #5777 of 11368 Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Shockingly, 496-F Gallimore Dairy Road is Time Warner.

Different division. You get your cable service from Time-Warner Cable. The LCP for D* and E* SD is a division of Time-Warner Telecom. It is like FOX News and FOX Television Stations are two different divisions that do different things.

post #5778 of 11368 Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody heard if the local CBS, NBC and Fox will re-air the shows that weren't shown because of the storm coverage. I'm not knocking them for doing it because the storm coverage was more important but there are some shows from last night that I'd like to see. I know I can go to NBC.com to get the full episode of The Office but I'd rather see it in HD on my big TV. ER isn't even offered on NBC.com. CBS.com has CSI I believe but I will probably download it from Xbox Live so I can see it in HD on my big TV.

At least I was able to watch Lost last night.
post #5779 of 11368 Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncrules View Post

Has anybody heard if the local CBS, NBC and Fox will re-air the shows that weren't shown because of the storm coverage. I'm not knocking them for doing it because the storm coverage was more important but there are some shows from last night that I'd like to see. I know I can go to NBC.com to get the full episode of The Office but I'd rather see it in HD on my big TV. ER isn't even offered on NBC.com. CBS.com has CSI I believe but I will probably download it from Xbox Live so I can see it in HD on my big TV.

At least I was able to watch Lost last night.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...TAFF/662796847
post #5780 of 11368 Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Excellent!!! Thanks a lot!!
post #5781 of 11368 Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncrules View Post

Excellent!!! Thanks a lot!!

I will bet you they aren't in HD - I can say with 100% confidence that Survivor and Oprah will not be in HD either
post #5782 of 11368 Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will bet you they aren't in HD - I can say with 100% confidence that Survivor and Oprah will not be in HD either

Well, since Oprah won't be offering her show in HD until Sept. 8th and Survivor won't be in HD on CBS until this Fall, I guess you'd be 100% correct.

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #5783 of 11368 Old 05-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Neither ER or The Office were in HD, but it is better than nothing.
post #5784 of 11368 Old 05-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Hi all,

Totally new person here, with what I'm sure will be some dumb questions - so please forgive me in advance. We're in day 3 of our new HD set (a Philips) and I have zero complaints with the tv, and I've been blown away by the HD things we've been able to see (it's all new to us). My question, though: we subscribe to TWC basic service and unfortunately cannot (financially) upgrade to digital cable. TWC said they would not montly fee me the HD box without upgrading to digital, but right now we're picking up the HD networks on the higher (ex., 94.95) channels. Those are hit and miss, though. For example, sometimes WFMY comes in, and sometimes it doesn't. I tried an external HD (inside) antenna, and it was actually worse (fewer) channels. I did notice today that the longer the set is on, WFMY and FOX come in stronger. ABC and NBC have always come in - is this a normal thing? If you have the TWC HD box are the major networks "always" in signal? Thanks for any advice! PS - We live in NW G'boro...
post #5785 of 11368 Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 PM

i can't speak on the twc quesiton but i would try to tweak ur antennae or get it outside or as high as possible inside. i get 17 channels (all free) and i'm in Adams Farm. is ur antennae powered? if it's not a powered one would probably help. when i 1st installed mine i only got a few channels but with the adjustments i'm where i'm at now. mine is mounted in my attic 3 stories up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black vw View Post

Hi all,

Totally new person here, with what I'm sure will be some dumb questions - so please forgive me in advance. We're in day 3 of our new HD set (a Philips) and I have zero complaints with the tv, and I've been blown away by the HD things we've been able to see (it's all new to us). My question, though: we subscribe to TWC basic service and unfortunately cannot (financially) upgrade to digital cable. TWC said they would not montly fee me the HD box without upgrading to digital, but right now we're picking up the HD networks on the higher (ex., 94.95) channels. Those are hit and miss, though. For example, sometimes WFMY comes in, and sometimes it doesn't. I tried an external HD (inside) antenna, and it was actually worse (fewer) channels. I did notice today that the longer the set is on, WFMY and FOX come in stronger. ABC and NBC have always come in - is this a normal thing? If you have the TWC HD box are the major networks "always" in signal? Thanks for any advice! PS - We live in NW G'boro...

post #5786 of 11368 Old 05-11-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you TV has a QAM tuner in it, just connect the cable to the RF jack and do a channel scan. You should be able to pick up WFMY, WGHP, WXII, WXLV and WUNL in digital without a cable box. The channel numbers will be in the 113-116 range, not the more familar 510, 520, 530, 540, etc.

post #5787 of 11368 Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 AM

Thanks, everyone. foxeng, our TV does have a QAM tuner it in, and right now, that's how I've got it hooked up. WFMY and WGHP are almost too strong (or something) - it pixelates and the sound breaks down. WXII, WXLV and WUNL are crystal clear and great. Any ideas on WFMY and WGHP? Is that a gain issue? Since the other channel are coming in so well, would we be best to stay with TWC or go the antenna route?
post #5788 of 11368 Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, everyone. foxeng, our TV does have a QAM tuner it in, and right now, that's how I've got it hooked up. WFMY and WGHP are almost too strong (or something) - it pixelates and the sound breaks down. WXII, WXLV and WUNL are crystal clear and great. Any ideas on WFMY and WGHP? Is that a gain issue? Since the other channel are coming in so well, would we be best to stay with TWC or go the antenna route?

It sounds like a lack of signal. TWC can't charge you beyond what you are paying now even if you have your TV directly connected to the cable. You need to call them and have them run a signal check on your cable IN THE HOUSE. DO NOT LET THEM get away with a pole signal strength check. It may be prefectly fine on the pole, but if there is a issue in the house, they will never know it from the pole. Also, if you have any splitters that you put in on the cable lines, take them off first to see if that improves the signals. If so, it is your splitters. If it is their splitters, then it is their problem and they have to fix it.

ONE OTHER THING FOR EVERYONE

If you do put splitters in line, be sure they go to at least 800 MHz and NOT 550 MHz. All of the digital signals on TWC are above 600 MHz and if your splitter doesn't go to at least 800 MHz you will have a pretty drastic drop in signal level on the digital channels (cable channels 90 and up). We had to change out some splitters and amps at work when we put in our Samsung STB to receive our digital signal in Master Control via TWC because they stopped at 550 MHz. With a spectrum analyser you can really see the digital channel drop off with a 550 MHz splitter/amps.

post #5789 of 11368 Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I have a similar problem, with a Westinghouse tv. The digital channels for WFMY and WGHP, plus WFMY's news/weather channel, and UNC-NC and UNC-ED all are on channel 78 (78.1, 78.2, etc) on my tv, and occasionally all of them will show signal problems at the same time. When this happens, I can sometimes get it to clear up by tuning to a different HD channel (UNC-HD, or WXII), and then back. I called TWC and got absolutely no help from the person I spoke with. First, she obviously wasn't a tech because she didn't know it was possible to receive any digital channels if you aren't paying for the digital serevice. Second, her attitude was that if I wasn't paying for digital, then they didn't have to provide me with any technical assistance for a problem with a digital channel.
post #5790 of 11368 Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:

ONE OTHER THING FOR EVERYONE

If you do put splitters in line, be sure they go to at least 800 MHz and NOT 550 MHz.

If the splitter caused a problem, would it show up across the entire digital spectrum? In my case, it's only those stations that are on channel 78 (at least, that's the channel number on my Westinghouse tv) that are affected. The others are fine.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page