Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Man, they've got my e-mail........didn't happen to say Pace or SA, did it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called and emailed Tiffany Sutton, the CSR that usually emails me with that stuff, to schedule my installation but I haven't heard back yet. I'll post as soon as I can get my hands on it. Should definitely have it in time to record the Panthers winning the Superbowl!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:53 PM

They did say it was a SA.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The guys in the other forum were saying SA8000 or something with a 200GB hard drive for 20 hours of HD recording.

I hope it's better than that SA box I used to have. The Pace box is much better.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

Man, I don't want to have to lose one of my pace boxes......
Old 01-14-2004, 03:45 PM

I'm going to help a friend try to get OTA DTV with his Hughes SAT-OTA receiver.
He lives in the Tobaccoville area. I checked Antenna Web and found that the only DTV signals in that area would be WXII - DT 12 and WUNL - DT 26. Does that sound right? He is hoping that we'll be able to pull in WFMY - DT 2 or WDBJ- DT 7 so that he'll have CBS coverage for the SUPER BOWL. Should we be able too?

We'll be using a large VHF-UHF outdoor antenna and rotor mounted on his chimney. I'll also have a pre-amp to try and help matters if needed.
Any help or recommendations are appreciated.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Originally posted by wiloliwad
He lives in the Tobaccoville area. I checked Antenna Web and found that the only DTV signals in that area would be WXII - DT 12 and WUNL - DT 26. Does that sound right? He is hoping that we'll be able to pull in WFMY - DT 2 or WDBJ- DT 7 so that he'll have CBS coverage for the SUPER BOWL. Should we be able too?

We'll be using a large VHF-UHF outdoor antenna and rotor mounted on his chimney. I'll also have a pre-amp to try and help matters if needed.

From Tobaccoville he should be able to get WFMY and WDBJ as well as WXLV and WUPN. Depending on how high he is up, he should be able to get WGHP, but it will not be as strong as the rest so it may take some fine tuning to see it.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Originally posted by wiloliwad

You should get just about all of them. I wouldn't trust Antennaweb anymore; they seriously screwed up their system and don't seem to be in the mood to fix it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 01-15-2004, 05:04 PM

All week I've had blocking on TWC. Most pronounced on the channels my kids watch (PBSkids, Toon Disney) but it also showed up to a lesser extent on DiscHD last night.

Anyone else seeing this? TWC said they weren't aware of any system issues.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
era

Activity in the 560's tonight. 561 is showing a hockey game. Other channels are listed, but "Not Authorized." I called the 886 number, and they said it was expected to be ready by now (the "pak") but a network issue is holding it up. Any day now...she said.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my SA8000 HD DVR from TWC tonight. You can read my thread over in the HD recorders forum. Bottom line, I liked the Pace box better, it was faster and I think that maybe the pq was better also, but I'm not sure.

If anyone else gets one, please look at your picture quality with a critical eye both before and after switching to the new box and let me know if you see any difference. I think I may be just over analyzing it and looking for flaws that were already there.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Oddity....Last night I'm flipping in between severe beatings to my Pack by one JJ Reddick, and flip past the 500's. There are INHD, INHD2, HDNT, and HDNM on the guide....so I call the number on the screen to subscribe, and the CSR knows nothing. So this afternoon after work I call, and get the old "it's being tested, we're not taking preorders". I go downstairs and fire up the pj and now they're all gone, except for INHD2, and it's not locked out. I watched a documentary on trains this afternoon.

Weird.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:38 PM

roland6465 - they turned on INHD2 last night to show the Hurricanes and as far as I can tell they just "forgot" to turn it off after the game. If you recall they had promised to show 10 Canes games on INHD2, but missed the first one (St Louis) when they shut down the two channels. After I (and I'm sure several others) called to complain, they said they'd try to get the rest of the games on.

P.S. Are you Roland on Statefans?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

They're all gone on mine now, missed it last night.

Are any of you guys getting the SA8000 DVR? I don't think the picture quality is as good as the Pace box. It looks like ED now instead of HD. Just not as sharp and detailed and the colors aren't as good.

I think I might ask them for the Pace box back.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:11 AM

Not getting the SA DVR. Too many negatives with the SA box I had before that I'm not willing to give up my Pace box for the SA DVR.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Wolfgate...Yep, that's me. Going to the game tonight?

jacksonian.... I'm not getting the SA box. I have 2 PACE boxes and they are bettereven than the Mits 4000 I used to use w/ DirecTV.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:49 AM

roland6465 - yes, I'll be there. Don't miss very many.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Crap, you guys are killing me. I was so naive. I had no clue that the SA box would be a step backward in pq and features! I'm calling them up ASAP and asking for my Pace box back. I guess I'll just wait for a stand alone HD Tivo.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Fun game last night, Gate

FWIW, I've still got INHD2 @ 561.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

If you have anyone at WFMY's #, pleas see if they can flip the HD switch! I can't get anyone at either listed numbeer!

Hope there's a 2:55 timer on that mug!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by roland6465
If you have anyone at WFMY's #, pleas see if they can flip the HD switch! I can't get anyone at either listed numbeer!

CBS pregame is in SD, not HD, unlike FOX that does their pregame in ED.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by roland6465

In the future, the number I call is 379-WFMY and when the voice starts to read down the numbers enter 0 for the Newsroom and tell them and they will tell master control and switch it.

I am glad FOX does 100% simulcast so we never flip a switch, when we hit network for the analog, the DTV switches the digital network directly to the DTV transmitter every time.

Well, just have to wait 4 hours now for the opening act to finish to watch the big show at 6:45!

Old 01-18-2004, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We have gotten a couple of calls that some people are not getting center channel. I have it here at home with my system in both DD2.0 or DD5.1.

Is anyone here having problems?

Old 01-18-2004, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Charlie,

Don't know about OTA, but I've got the center channel just fine here via TWC.

Joe L.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just heard that the TOC in LA is getting complaints and they think it is a mono mix issue at the game. They are working on it.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm so disappointed with the SA8000 box from TWC and not being able to get ABC HD because of our local Sinclair, I'm thinking hard about doing some OTA.

foxeng or others, I don't want to put anything on the roof, but I have a 3rd story attic (very big) that is directly over my theater with easy access to my gear. Do you have any suggestions for an antenna/amplifier setup?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jacksonian
foxeng or others, I don't want to put anything on the roof, but I have a 3rd story attic (very big) that is directly over my theater with easy access to my gear. Do you have any suggestions for an antenna/amplifier setup?

If you have the room, put up a CM 4228 and a CM 7779 pre-amp. Use good coax (RG-6) and put it on a rotor. You will loose about half signal strength because it is indoors. If you you put it outside, it will much better.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out right now.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:28 PM
era

I'm not sure if I understand the complaints about the SA boxes. I've got two of them for HDTV and one HDTV pace box. Comparing these three TV's results in no particular winner. I've had them for many months and I can see differences--but those differences are a result of the various levels of quality of the source material (movies differ from grainy to extra sharp, some "HD" channels are not really that HD, while others are crisp). Looking at the same source on Pace versus SA has never revealed any difference to me. I'm sure there are arcane tech distinctions, but I would assume that digital HD output had the same number of bytes, and the same specs, regardless of the "box" that puts it out. Only the source could vary--which it quite obviously does. But maybe I'm freaking out or something.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

era,
I had the same thoughts going into this as you, that it's HD, it should be the same. I know the source material can vary a lot. But I used the recorder to record some Insectia from Discovery HD and The Tonight Show, which I thought generally had the sharpest HD pictures. My wife said that it just didn't look HD, that it looked like Fox ED pq.

I keep going back and trying to adjust the output settings, just knowing that I'm going to find something that I've missed, but nothing seems to make a difference. I know OTA should be better than cable anyway, but one of the guys that just got the SA8000 box said the difference between OTA and his SA box was 50% in pq.

I'm having them bring my Pace box back next Saturday. I'm going to see if the tech can stick around long enough to do an A/B test to see if there really is a difference or not. Maybe I'll turn out to be an idiot, a picture quality hypochondriac.