3Likes

post #721 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by era
Have they fixed the picture quality problem with the Scientific Atlanta recorder box yet?

I received my SA 8000HD DVR box the day before the Super Bowl. Although I can't compare it with the pq with other boxes (I'm an HD newbie), the pq on the 8000HD is astounding. I can't imagine it getting any better. I've also time-shifted some HD content, and they look great also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, maybe they got it fixed. It's tough to know though if you didn't have any prior experience. What are you watching on? Did you get to see the Janet Jackson halftime incident in slow-mo HiDef replay with the DVR?
post #723 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jacksonian
Hmmm, maybe they got it fixed. It's tough to know though if you didn't have any prior experience. What are you watching on? Did you get to see the Janet Jackson halftime incident in slow-mo HiDef replay with the DVR?

I've got a new Sony 42" KF42WE610. I still have Janet (and the rest of the Super Bowl) on my hard drive in HD.

What was/is the specific problem with the SA box? I can look more closely for it tonight.
post #724 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, it's tough to explain. The picture on the SA box looked good, but it was more of 480p quality than 1080i quality. It looked about like the Fox Enhanced definition picture. I had the SA3100 and the PACE 550 before it and the picture was jaw dropping with things like Discovery HD theater. When I hooked up the SA8000, it just didn't have the clarity and detail of the other boxes. My wife even noticed it instantly, she said, "That's not HD."

I called TWC and had them take it back and bring me my PACE 550 box back out. You could instantly see the difference when it was back in. The contractor for TWC said he had installed several of them and then had to go back a couple of days later and take them out for the same reason. He and I thought it must be a software glitch either in the box or at the head end. I've heard that TWC hasn't rolled it out all over the state yet because of some of these bugs. It's possible that you got one with a new firmware or software version.

I just emailed my CSR at TWC. She doesn't know anything technical but said she'd pass my email on to the technical operations manager. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check the setup menu to find out exactly which firmware/software version I had before I sent it back.

Brent
post #725 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 07:30 AM

Do you know how to access the setup menu? If so, I can check my software and firmware versions tonight and report back. True 1080i HD stuff (i.e. the Super Bowl, Leno, NBA, Discovery HD) look absolutely amazing with my box and are head-and-shoulders better than Fox's 480p stuff like "24".
post #726 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I've asked one of the guys who has shown his on this forum. I'll see if I can get an answer today.

It sounds like yours is working correctly. If you can tell a big difference between Fox ED and the 1080i stuff, then that's correct. I couldn't tell much if any difference between the 1080i stuff and a DVD even.

Thanks so much for posting. I hope it was a simple software fix and I can get mine back! It's killing me that I didn't get the Extreme Martial Arts, Sting and Beyonce concerts recorded Sunday.
post #727 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

FTM,
Here's the instructions I got from another forum member. Please let me know what you find out.

Just press and hold the center "select" button on the unit itself until the message light start flashing; then release and press "Info" button. To navigate, use left and right buttons, "Exit" to exit.
post #728 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 11:04 AM

Here's the info I got from the service menu:

Flash: 1.82.4.0
Apps: SARA v. 1.82.4.0

BTW, it has a Maxtor 160 GB hard drive.
post #729 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help! Boy, I wish I'd written mine down. I'll ask the CSR to ask the technical guy if that's a new Flash or SARA version.
post #730 of 11416 Old 02-05-2004, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jacksonian
Thanks for the help! Boy, I wish I'd written mine down. I'll ask the CSR to ask the technical guy if that's a new Flash or SARA version.

There was another page in the setup menu that had what appeared to be dates for various software/firmware components. There were several of them, but unfortunately I did not have time to write them all down. If my memory is correct, all of the dates were in the Oct. through Dec. 2003 time-frame.
post #731 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 03:18 AM
era

Do you know how many hours of HD recording you can put on that Maxtor 160G hard drive? Also, are there any options for recording at less high-quality? In other words, if you record an ordinary standard-def show, what happens? Does it still use up the same bandwidth as HDTV, or does the unit sense the lower quality, and reduce the amount of space used on the hard drive?
post #732 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure it does about 19 hours of all HD, it does use less space for SD and you could record 100+ hours of SD I believe.
post #733 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Since we are talking about DVR's, I have heard that D* will be swapping out all its receivers with DVR/receiver combo's. D* has ordered 20 million DVR's (fact) and the basic DVR will be no charge and if you want extra features, there will be a small monthly charge. No word on when it will start but guess is late spring or early summer.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #734 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I love this competition. TWC is really fighting hard with D* for business. This is pushing things faster than they've ever moved with cable or satellite!
post #735 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by foxeng
Since we are talking about DVR's, I have heard that D* will be swapping out all its receivers with DVR/receiver combo's. D* has ordered 20 million DVR's (fact) and the basic DVR will be no charge and if you want extra features, there will be a small monthly charge. No word on when it will start but guess is late spring or early summer.

foxeng,
Are you saying that they will replace my new Sony HD 300 receiver with another unit? Mine is one of the first units delivered last fall and has OTA reception problems. Sony has scheduled to do a temporary swap within the next week to do a hardware/software upgrade. It will be an interesting development that just when the manufacturers get the technology right, D* does a mandatory change out of everything.

I have another older Sony unit that has the RF remote feature and am currently looking on e-bay for a second unit with that feature. I would assume that they will change those units as well with units with that feature.

Are you aware of a public announcement of this development?

Jim
post #736 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Hewett
foxeng,
Are you saying that they will replace my new Sony HD 300 receiver with another unit? Mine is one of the first units delivered last fall and has OTA reception problems. Sony has scheduled to do a temporary swap within the next week to do a hardware/software upgrade. It will be an interesting development that just when the manufacturers get the technology right, D* does a mandatory change out of everything.

I have another older Sony unit that has the RF remote feature and am currently looking on e-bay for a second unit with that feature. I would assume that they will change those units as well with units with that feature.

Are you aware of a public announcement of this development?

Jim

The only public announcements have been that DirecTV will be doing what E* does and "sell" their own DirecTV brand receivers (translated, D* will private label from all the current vendors) and has ordered 20 million DVR's from NDS and TiVo. D* only has 12 million customers. You don't don't place a one time order almost double your subscriber base without plans to do a complete change out.

Now I am hearing rumblings and the following thread in the HD Programming section says basically what I am hearing. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

I am personally going to wait to see what the deal is (is it a straight swap out or will I have to pay some) before I buy anything else. My guess would be that the SD stuff will get swapped out for free and the HD will have to pay a little. OTA DTV tuner will be standard in all receivers would be another guess but definately in the HD boxes. I would also guess that this would start in the late spring or early summer (they have to build all these boxes first and that takes time) so it isn't so long to wait. But (in my opinion and not as an employee of News Corp) the ultimate goal of D* is to place a DVR in EVERY home to compete with cable VOD and (dare I even say it) do away with PPV as we know it?! (more bandwidth?! I can only hope that is true!)

Anyway, that is my guess/info/rumors.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #737 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have 5 receivers. 3 of them are various types of RCAs and 2 of them are the Samsung HD SIR-TS160s. Would they replace all 5 and would I get 2 HD DVRs? I understand you may not all of the answers but I don't want to give up my HD receivers for non HD receivers and if they are HD DVRs they better have the OTA tuner like you mentioned. I can get all of the local digital/HD channels at anywhere from 63% and up signal strength without moving the antenna at all. I don't want to lose the seamlessly ability I have to tune to these channels. They integrate nicely into the program guide and channel listings along with the D* channels.
post #738 of 11416 Old 02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by uncrules
I have 5 receivers. 3 of them are various types of RCAs and 2 of them are the Samsung HD SIR-TS160s. Would they replace all 5 and would I get 2 HD DVRs? I understand you may not all of the answers but I don't want to give up my HD receivers for non HD receivers and if they are HD DVRs they better have the OTA tuner like you mentioned. I can get all of the local digital/HD channels at anywhere from 63% and up signal strength without moving the antenna at all. I don't want to lose the seamlessly ability I have to tune to these channels. They integrate nicely into the program guide and channel listings along with the D* channels.

There has been nothing offically announced so I really don't have any info at all. All I know is what I have posted here. That is why I am not buying anything else until it comes out so I will know how to jump.

post #739 of 11416 Old 02-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
foxeng:

I finally watched a newscast the other night from your new set. The new plasmas & studio setup look great. Did you get new digital cameras, too? The picture looks real good blown up to about 85" in 4x3 on my 8700 from TWC #510. Definately the sharpest detail of any of the newscasts on the digital tier, but not as sharp as WFMY's live HD from CBS.

As eye-popping as CBS 1080i upconverted to 720p on my pj looks on my DIY screen right now, I am giddy to see straight 720p live HD football from you guys in the Fall in a dedicated room on a 106" Da-Lite!!!!
post #740 of 11416 Old 02-09-2004, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by roland6465
foxeng:

I finally watched a newscast the other night from your new set. The new plasmas & studio setup look great. Did you get new digital cameras, too? The picture looks real good blown up to about 85" in 4x3 on my 8700 from TWC #510. Definately the sharpest detail of any of the newscasts on the digital tier, but not as sharp as WFMY's live HD from CBS.

As eye-popping as CBS 1080i upconverted to 720p on my pj looks on my DIY screen right now, I am giddy to see straight 720p live HD football from you guys in the Fall in a dedicated room on a 106" Da-Lite!!!!

No, it is the same cameras, but the lighting is COMPLETELY different (we purchased a whole new lighting package and fixtures) and that forces the cameras to be set up differently (they are digital though so that helps in the quality). Since our production switcher is a 480i SDI digital, we route the "raw" SDI video and audio straight to the DT transmitter during the news for the best quality so that is why during squeezebacks, you do not see the squeezeback on the DT side during the newscasts. You are seeing the set as we see it in the studio on the DT side. Plus, since you have a native 720p projector, you are looking at our upconverted 480i SDI digital signal natively since I recently switched the encoder to 720p in anticipation of HD this fall. When you are watching our newscast, you are looking at digital all the way through. No analog on the DT side. WFMY's newscasts are just analog upconverted and that is why ours looks so much sharper even though it is only 480i digital upconverted. I do think the set was designed for 16:9, but our 1996 cameras can't be retrofitted to 16:9 because they stopped making the retrofit kit 3 years ago when they came out with a new model that was switchable 4:3 and 16:9.

Glad you like the look of the new set. We are pretty excited about it too. It allows us to do things we couldn't do before with the other set. The same people who designed the sets for Good Day Live and FOX Sports designed and built this one, DBI Designs. You can go to their website and see the different sets they have built and you can see the different elements of ours scattered throughout. It was kinda weird to see it in real life because last August they showed the staff computer drawn pictures of it, and I will be damned it the real thing looks EXACTLY like those computer drawn pictures right down to the feathering of the paint on the monitor wall in the Weather Center! BDI has several workshops around the country that actually builds the sets and one of those workshops is in Winston-Salem! Now those guys are good!

The set has 3 HD monitors (and 25 other monitors that vary in size from 13 to 20 in SD monitors), two 65 in Mits RP's in the Weather Center and "franchise area" or the area that has the ticker above the monitor and the plasma behind the main desk is a Sony 42 in plasma. If you look behind the main desk, behind the frosted glass behind the male anchor, the old 110 in video wall is there now showing a loop of scenes around the Triad. The 50 in monitor that had been in the old Sports Center is behind the female anchor behind the other frosted glass. The old 50 in monitor that was in what we internally called "McDesk" or the second desk that was used for interviews is behind what we internally call the "Soft Set" or the riser that has the 4 plush chairs in front of the glass book shelves. The old Weather Center monitor is a spare for the other 50 in monitors since those are all SD and are 1995 models.

post #741 of 11416 Old 02-09-2004, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by roland6465

Roland,
I'm watching with a Panasonic AE500 1280x720 pj on a 106" Da-Lite HCCV screen. I'd love to see your BenQ sometime. I'd gladly pay admission. I've been considering upgrading to something like the BenQ for better shadow detail and blacks.
post #742 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Sure, but it's going to be toward the end of summer before the room is finished. But we'll work something out then.
post #743 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Oooh, the 8710 might be out by then, right? Or rumors of new 1920x1080 LCD's starting. Aahh, upgraditits.
post #744 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

There is NO WAY the 8710 is in my future. I'll have to be "stuck" with the 8700 for quite a while. Darn.
post #745 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 03:45 PM

Based on what I've read in this thread and another thread dealing specifically with the new SA8000HD, I understand that TWC-Greensboro has not yet activated the DVI port on the box. Assuming that TWC does in fact activate the DVI output (or "beams" any other software updates to the boxes), how are we end users notified? Does TWC use the message indicator light on the box to alert users of software changes? TIA.
post #746 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
era

I got the HDTV "pak" from TWC. Somebody warned about sparse programming -- lots of repetition. Yes, true. I'm hoping they can add more variety and more channels soon. Otherwise, I'm considering "va-va" VOOM!

But some of the shows are gorgeous, it's true (Wilde Blue Yonder, her hair turned quite gold with grief, and Copper Canyon, for example).

Also, have they fixed the problems with the HDTV DVR yet for us TWC HDTV customers? I'd like to get one when they work right...

Thanks.
post #747 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 06:15 PM

Are they still only charging $5 a month for the DVR?
post #748 of 11416 Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

fairtomiddlin,
They don't tell you. I just found out from another user that the DVI on the Pace box has been active for months. I hadn't tried it because the told me it wasn't active.

era,
I'm enjoying the Dog Show, Hot Lines, Charlie's Angels, all kinds of stuff on the HD Pak. It's not great, but it's cheap. And I hear that the Voom programming is extremely lame. I'm still emailing on the SA8000 problems, will post as soon as I hear.

akdude,
Yep.
post #749 of 11416 Old 02-11-2004, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by era
I got the HDTV "pak" from TWC. Somebody warned about sparse programming -- lots of repetition. Yes, true. I'm hoping they can add more variety and more channels soon. Otherwise, I'm considering "va-va" VOOM!

Other than the in house movie channels, VOOM has the same HD channels (well actually less at this point.) so for $800 to get in to VOOM, you really aren't getting amything more than you have now.

post #750 of 11416 Old 02-11-2004, 09:58 AM

I've got the HD Pack too. Hey TWC, go ahead and "finish negotiations" and add ESPNHD to that thing! That would make the money worth it (even with the limited programming).

It's almost enough to drive me to satellite, I tell ya!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page