Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 313 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9361 of 11247 Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got an email from WXII and they were doing transmitter maintenance during this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 11247 Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiest View Post

Just got an email from WXII and they were doing transmitter maintenance during this time.

Seems like they could have picked a better time instead of right at the beginning of a major sports broadcast. If I was trying to watch Wimbledon coverage, I would have been quite aggravated. That's why I enjoy OTA antenna reception of more than one market, in my case Charlotte and GSP/Asheville.
post #9363 of 11247 Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 PM

More than one market is a nice feature of OTA.

Even though my outdoor 2-bay UHF antenna is mounted indoors, with an amp I can pick up a couple of Charlotte stations (transmitters 60 miles distant)

That's allowed me to get different FOX NFL games on the same Sunday and better weather forecasts for the further west mountain areas where I often travel.
post #9364 of 11247 Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
It seems to be no revelation that the signal from WGPX is very weak as it travels into Winston-Salem. In fact, I've never seen that station over the air, no matter which way my antenna is pointed. Their tower is 38 miles NE from my house.

I left work a little early today and decided to call WGPX. The individual that answered said there was no engineer on duty; and stated they only have one contract engineer who is in/out during regular business hours. This person who answered the phone did acknowledge that WGPX is aware that their signal does not reach a number of residents in Winston. However, he did not know when/if the station would upgrade the height of their tower. He also did not know when/if the station would build out it's permit from a 95 kw tower to a 1000 kw tower.

At any rate, he said it was important for WGPX to be aware of the number of viewers who are in the market--but cannot view WGPX over the air. He encouraged me to call their corporate office next week so that they can document these issues. He said the corporate number for WGPX is 1-888-467-2988.

I only share this story to inform others who may live in Winston and have a similar experience. Cost issues are always going to be a concern for any station. However, perhaps it may help motivate WGPX to take action in the future if they hear from more viewers.
post #9365 of 11247 Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM

Several months ago, I bought an AM21 off air tuner for my recently installed DirecTV setup. I was planning to upgrade from my inexpensive Radio Shack rabbit ears before I set it all up but there's a movie I want to record on THIS-TV next week, so I set it up tonight.

When it scanned for channels (based on my zip code?), I got the following: 8-1, 8-2, 20-1, 20-2, 20-3, 43-1, 43-2, 45-1, and 45-2. So no 12s, 26s or 48s.

My question: is this likely because of the search it did based on my zip code? (I didn't select a secondary market.) Or it it a function or what channels it was able to pick up when it scanned through the entire spectrum of what's available?

Whether it makes a difference or not, I split the signal from the antenna into my TV's tuner as well as the AM21. I checked the stations' viewability before setting up the AM21 and all of the ones it missed were visible via the TV's tuner.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
post #9366 of 11247 Old 07-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post

Several months ago, I bought an AM21 off air tuner for my recently installed DirecTV setup. I was planning to upgrade from my inexpensive Radio Shack rabbit ears before I set it all up but there's a movie I want to record on THIS-TV next week, so I set it up tonight.

When it scanned for channels (based on my zip code?), I got the following: 8-1, 8-2, 20-1, 20-2, 20-3, 43-1, 43-2, 45-1, and 45-2. So no 12s, 26s or 48s.

My question: is this likely because of the search it did based on my zip code? (I didn't select a secondary market.) Or it it a function or what channels it was able to pick up when it scanned through the entire spectrum of what's available?

Whether it makes a difference or not, I split the signal from the antenna into my TV's tuner as well as the AM21. I checked the stations' viewability before setting up the AM21 and all of the ones it missed were visible via the TV's tuner.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Just from poking around online, it looks like the AM21 does go by zip code and apparently doesn't even do a real channel scan at all. There's supposed to be a way to add a secondary market, but if all it's doing is loading preformatted data, they really shouldn't have missed random channels from a market.

However, I'm getting all of this second-or-thirdhand, so I might be missing something obvious. My only experience with DirecTV was selling them at (ugh) Radio Shack 10 years ago.
post #9367 of 11247 Old 07-03-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Getting a bunch of NC and some SC stations this morning in Virginia Beach...
I was getting 71 streams, the most ever, but due to the fact that almost all stations are now digital and multicasting one or two additional streams...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #9368 of 11247 Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
That looks familiar!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #9369 of 11247 Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

That looks familiar!

Figured you'd appreciate that...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #9370 of 11247 Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

Figured you'd appreciate that...

I like to see screen caps of TV DX! I will take it.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #9371 of 11247 Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I like to see screen caps of TV DX! I will take it.

Well, I don't have a screen shot. However, my TV's have picked up about 15 extra stations tonight. The farthest away is WLOS Asheville. This tower is over 144 miles (as the crow flies) from my house.

There is some strange weather causing this tonight. I know this sort of thing happens more in coastal areas like Norfolk and eastern NC. However, I didn't expect it here

PS the funniest thing is that my reception was below average (before the thunderstorms started at around 530pm to 6pm).
post #9372 of 11247 Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

Well, I don't have a screen shot. However, my TV's have picked up about 15 extra stations tonight. The farthest away is WLOS Asheville. This tower is over 144 miles (as the crow flies) from my house.

There is some strange weather causing this tonight. I know this sort of thing happens more in coastal areas like Norfolk and eastern NC. However, I didn't expect it here

PS the funniest thing is that my reception was below average (before the thunderstorms started at around 530pm to 6pm).

Same thing here in Ft Mill. Most of the Triad stations are in very strong. Caught the news on WGHP at 10:30.
post #9373 of 11247 Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Over the last few days The Netherlands has had a major TV and FM broadcast outage covering 80% of the country. It all started late last week when a tower came down after a fire broke out in the transmission lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nEY...layer_embedded Then over the weekend another tower caught fire in the transmission line, but that tower did not collapse. Here is a Dutch TV report on it. You may not understand the language, but the pictures tell a very good story by themselves. http://www.rtvdrenthe.nl/

post #9374 of 11247 Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Over the last few days The Netherlands has had a major TV and FM broadcast outage covering 80% of the country. It all started late last week when a tower came down after a fire broke out in the transmission lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nEY...layer_embedded Then over the weekend another tower caught fire in the transmission line, but that tower did not collapse. Here is a Dutch TV report on it. You may not understand the language, but the pictures tell a very good story by themselves. http://www.rtvdrenthe.nl/

It's pretty scary stuff, especially in today's world. I feel for them. Let's just hope they've got a government that is a litttle more efficient (versus our own) at working this out.
post #9375 of 11247 Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

It's pretty scary stuff, especially in today's world. I feel for them. Let's just hope they've got a government that is a litttle more efficient (versus our own) at working this out.

Broadcasting there is government run and with a small country, you don't need many transmitters. Knock two out and you have lost a lot of coverage. Like many countries, they have co-located all the FM's and TV's on the same tower, hence the size of the tower and you have one go down and you loose everything. Latest I heard was they have had to move most of the FM news services to AM. They have brought up a couple of "backup FM sites" for specific services, but the coverage areas are very limited at best. This will be a major outage for a while there. It may take up to a year or longer to restore all services to pre-disaster status.

post #9376 of 11247 Old 07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Broadcasting there is government run and with a small country, you don't need many transmitters. Knock two out and you have lost a lot of coverage. Like many countries, they have co-located all the FM's and TV's on the same tower, hence the size of the tower and you have one go down and you loose everything. Latest I heard was they have had to move most of the FM news services to AM. They have brought up a couple of "backup FM sites" for specific services, but the coverage areas are very limited at best. This will be a major outage for a while there. It may take up to a year or longer to restore all services to pre-disaster status.

I don't pretend to know anything about the logistics of working out such a disaster. However, with so many other countries in close proximity to the Netherlands, it makes you wonder if they could borrow/share one of the major towers in a neighboring country on a temporary/emergency basis.

Perhaps, as a last resort, some of the Dutch would have access to watch the government run stations in the UK (Britain). Afterall, it seems most of the Dutch are bilingual and speak perfect English as a second language. Then again, this idea seems a little out there.....
post #9377 of 11247 Old 07-17-2011, 05:11 PM

Sounds like it's time for some serious MW DX.
post #9378 of 11247 Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

It all started late last week when a tower came down after a fire broke out in the transmission lines.

What causes a fire to start in the transmission lines? I'm guessing it would somehow relate to poor maintenance?
post #9379 of 11247 Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcementpond View Post

What causes a fire to start in the transmission lines? I'm guessing it would somehow relate to poor maintenance?

Maybe the line was overloaded? Looks suspicious to me.
post #9380 of 11247 Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcementpond View Post

The usual suspect is no pressure in the line, water gets in and the line starts to arc and the copper literally catches fire and starts to melt. If the RF isn't removed it continues to arc to ground until something gives.

There was a station in the northern plains states turned there new DTV transmitter on and there was a problem with the antenna. It started to arc, the transmitter didn't turn off and there was a nice fire on top of the tower! It is on YouTube somewhere.

post #9381 of 11247 Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For those watching TV8.2 with closed captioning, there was a network receiver software update performed today that is supposed to fix the garbling of closed captioning. So far it seems to be working.

There are some shows that do not have closed captioning on them at all so you will not see any on those shows.

post #9382 of 11247 Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Foxeng,

Are stations running two streams of CC? Sometimes the digital CC doesn't work on my TV, so I try the analog and it does work, and vice versa.
post #9383 of 11247 Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Foxeng,

Are stations running two streams of CC? Sometimes the digital CC doesn't work on my TV, so I try the analog and it does work, and vice versa.

Stations are required to transmit both 608 (the SD standard) and 708 (the HD standard) no matter what the resolution is.

post #9384 of 11247 Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WCWG-4 now has programming. Currently (12:01 am Wed) it's the WTQR Country videos show. The guide says "No title" and is blank so I don't know what other riveting programming will air on 20-4, or if it's an affiliate of something.
post #9385 of 11247 Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

The guide says "No title" and is blank so I don't know what other riveting programming will air on 20-4, or if it's an affiliate of something.

It is affiliated with the "We Need Money Network."

post #9386 of 11247 Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
WTQR can't possibly be giving them much of that these days.
post #9387 of 11247 Old 07-20-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My guess is they need money, like everyone else. Not having a major network, nor news to bring in the dollars, they need as many revenue generators as possible. No, I don't think WTQR has bought all the time. Having no info other than what I have seen here, WTQR is probably one of many until they decided to put a full time network of some kind on it. Again, that is just a guess. I have ZERO knowledge of what is going on over there.

post #9388 of 11247 Old 07-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
104.1 WTGR has been mentioning an "all new WTQR" soon with those weird "housecleaning" blurbs... I do hope this is NOT it.
post #9389 of 11247 Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:

My guess is they need money, like everyone else. Not having a major network, nor news to bring in the dollars, they need as many revenue generators as possible. No, I don't think WTQR has bought all the time. Having no info other than what I have seen here, WTQR is probably one of many until they decided to put a full time network of some kind on it. Again, that is just a guess. I have ZERO knowledge of what is going on over there.

Well, at this point (thanks TitanTV) the 20.4 lineup looks like four (non-consecutive) hours of Big Time Country and twenty hours of infomercials, and then they do three hours of E/I programming on Saturday morning. If that's what it takes to keep the rest of the station chugging along, best of luck to them.
post #9390 of 11247 Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AntennaTV has released its fall schedule and they will be adding NewsRadio to the lineup!

Here is a PDF of the fall schedule: http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-07/63494465.pdf

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page