Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 374 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11191 of 11419 Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

While you personally may not like the idea of a LPTV running infomercials, they do have a right to program what they want, as long as it doesn't go into areas the community doesn't deem moral.

I personally like the idea of more LPTVs and most major areas have them, expect this area. And that is mostly because we are sandwiched between Raleigh and Charlotte (who have quote a few) and they have the frequencies allocated at this time. Could we get another LPTV in the area? Absolutely. VHF high is pretty much open for at least one or maybe two, depending on antenna location. For UHF, maybe one or two, again depending on antenna location. The real issue is the size of the market, you need cable to reach enough of the homes to make it pay. That isn't happening here. Just ask WGSR who has been begging TWC for years to get on the whole market. I doubt that will ever happen now.
It seems WGSR should be allowed cable carriage, if they are a Greensboro market station. However, their signal cannot be received in Winston-Salem due to WJZY FOX-46 from Charlotte which is also RF47. So they must not be expected to reach the entire Greensboro market.
tylerSC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11192 of 11419 Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
difuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

It seems WGSR should be allowed cable carriage, if they are a Greensboro market station. However, their signal cannot be received in Winston-Salem due to WJZY FOX-46 from Charlotte which is also RF47. So they must not be expected to reach the entire Greensboro market.
Brighter minds than mine might find a way, but things do not seem really rosy for WGSR in the future. After any repack, it will be at the end of the line for consideration for a new channel. And any new channel with have some drawbacks, I'm sure.
difuse is offline  
post #11193 of 11419 Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

While you personally may not like the idea of a LPTV running infomercials, they do have a right to program what they want, as long as it doesn't go into areas the community doesn't deem moral.

I personally like the idea of more LPTVs and most major areas have them, expect this area. And that is mostly because we are sandwiched between Raleigh and Charlotte (who have quote a few) and they have the frequencies allocated at this time. Could we get another LPTV in the area? Absolutely. VHF high is pretty much open for at least one or maybe two, depending on antenna location. For UHF, maybe one or two, again depending on antenna location. The real issue is the size of the market, you need cable to reach enough of the homes to make it pay. That isn't happening here. Just ask WGSR who has been begging TWC for years to get on the whole market. I doubt that will ever happen now.
It seems WGSR should be allowed cable carriage, if they are a Greensboro market station. However, their signal cannot be received in Winston-Salem due to WJZY FOX-46 from Charlotte which is also RF47. So they must not be expected to reach the entire Greensboro market.

WGSR is a Reidsville station. They market themselves as a Reidsville environ station and that is one of the reasons TWC refuses to carry them beyond the Reidsville environs.

Remember LPTV doesn't play by the same rules full power stations do. LPTV is a secondary service. They have no interference protection like the full power stations. They are where they fit, RF speaking. And with a top power of 15kw digital, their coverage is limited to a region of a market. So they are not expected to cover a large market.

If a full power station wants to move in on top of them and it fits, the LPTV has no choice but to vacate the channel. And if there isn't another channel, too bad. There is no legal recourse. LPTVs also do not fall under the Must Carry Rules full power stations do. LPTV's literally are at the whim and behest of everyone else. They basically fill in the spaces full power stations can't and then hope they aren't involved in an adjacency issue with a full power station.

And that is basically it in a nutshell.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #11194 of 11419 Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Newbie
 
Old Disc Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post


WGSR is a Reidsville station. They market themselves as a Reidsville environ station and that is one of the reasons TWC refuses to carry them beyond the Reidsville environs.

Remember LPTV doesn't play by the same rules full power stations do. LPTV is a secondary service. They have no interference protection like the full power stations. They are where they fit, RF speaking. And with a top power of 15kw digital, their coverage is limited to a region of a market. So they are not expected to cover a large market.

If a full power station wants to move in on top of them and it fits, the LPTV has no choice but to vacate the channel. And if there isn't another channel, too bad. There is no legal recourse. LPTVs also do not fall under the Must Carry Rules full power stations do. LPTV's literally are at the whim and behest of everyone else. They basically fill in the spaces full power stations can't and then hope they aren't involved in an adjacency issue with a full power station.

And that is basically it in a nutshell.

Hey FoxEng......

 

Have you ever heard the old saying that "Cracked nutshells yield delicious rewards."?

 

What  you say is true on all counts, but moving forward (which is the only way we keep living) not all of it will be absolute truth.

 

Our nice, friendly market, shoehorned in as we are between Raleigh, Charlotte and Roanoke, should serve to provide holes big enough to fit us into after the re-pack.  We have survived one round of TV channel band shrinkage, and I have no doubt we will do so again.

 

When this station went on the air in 1998, it could do so because Hickory's WHKY-TV was considered a Charlotte DMA station but from its tower location had no way to prevent a low-power on Channel 14 from locating to the north and west of the Greensboro DMA on that channel.

 

When WGPX was assigned that channel, thanks to the FCC's computer-driven process, we wound up for a short time on Channel 39 with a highly directional antenna to protect Wilmington's analog channel 39...longer in distance but more critical due to their tall tower and the flatness of the Coastal Plain.

 

Our digital displacement to Channel 47 was, once again, possible because Belmont's WJZY from the Charlotte DMA has no way to prevent a low-power on Channel 47 from being located north and west of the Greensboro DMA.

 

Doubly advantageous for us, there is a 47 on the other side, WRPX in Rocky Mount.  We fit in nicely between the two, and ceteris parabus, short of the re-pack could probably remain comfortably forever on 47.  But the re-pack is coming.

 

Our confidence is that no one is looking to build new TV antenna farms in any of the state's major markets, and because their positions relative to each other between markets has provided us good channel openings in the Greensboro DMA they will likely do so after the re-pack.

 

While 15KW is our current maximum ERP, such limits can (and will) be subject to change by the FCC, creating lots of interesting possibilities for the future.  Case-in-point is with the VHF high band, where the FCC recently doubled the maximum ERP of LPTVs and Translators on channels 7-13.  The changes will trend to power increases rather than power reductions from this point on.

 

As for "Must Carry" rules,  they DO apply to us, but it's a lot more complex.  We have been must-carry in Rockingham County since the FCC set up that rules system.  TWC carries us in Rockingham County and ONLY Rockingham County because of this.  Those same rules give us must-carry in Caswell County as well.  Caswell County has no cable system of its own, and is operated on a consolidated basis with Comcast's Virginia operations in Danville, Martinsville, AltaVista, Gretna, Pittsylvania County, Henry County and southern Campbell County of Virginia.  Therefore, our must-carry in Caswell gives us access to a huge area of Southside Virginia.  With Comcast buying TWC, the possibilities of consolidation of their Greensboro DMA holdings into their neighboring existing operations holds some VERY bright possibilities.

 

Keep in mind also, we are carried on AT&T U-Verse everywhere in the Triad except High Point and northwestern Rockingham County.  Since they're poised to gobble up DirecTV once again another possibility may be open for new avenues of signal carriage, plus internet, Roku and whatever the next big technology to get our station out there.

 

At WGSR, we're excited about where we're going, and what the future holds.

 

Later.......

Matt

Old Disc Jockey is offline  
post #11195 of 11419 Old 05-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does AT&T still carry WGSR "market wide" to U-Verse customers? I quoted it because many don't have access to it. Perhaps Directv will add WGSR with the AT&T purchase. Adding LP's isn't really satellite's thing, but WTNC-LP Durham (ch 26, Unimas) is on Directv, so stranger things have happened!

One would assume that the "G" in WGSR was to give the illusion that they're a Greensboro station, like WGPX. It's a shame that cable doesn't care about local TV much like they used to, especially for the LP's. The WGSR news has run Greensboro stories. I do watch the news on WGSR occasionally, it's kinda nice without the "coming up" "and next" hype and without stupid things like web videos.

Where exactly is the DMA line up there? Fox 8 weather, for example, highlights the counties around Martinsville and Danville as if they were in-market, but they're not on other stations or the DMA list. The Roanoke/Lynchburg stations also claim those counties. Does Van have friends there or is it some other reason? I looked on the Directv website, and those areas get WGHP, in HD, in addition to Fox 21/27 in HD. Yet Orange County, NC is not highlighted on the weather map, when cable and satellite both carry WGHP there (although not in HD.) How does cable chose the carriage lines for LP's, like how do they chose to only show in X county, even though X Y and Z counties get it OTA. What's the cable coverage like in Virginia, with WMDV? Does any cable company carry both WGSR and WMDV?

That was a lot of questions. But these things interest me!
ejb1980 is offline  
post #11196 of 11419 Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Where exactly is the DMA line up there? Fox 8 weather, for example, highlights the counties around Martinsville and Danville as if they were in-market, but they're not on other stations or the DMA list.

We base our weather forecasting on the DMA and historic viewing patterns. While Martinsville is a part of the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point DMA, Danville is not, but historically, Martinsville has never been interested in the NC stations (they prefer the VA stations) while Danville historically has been viewers of the NC stations. I am not sure why it isn't the other way around, but it isn't. In the late 80's or early 90's, I forget which, the Roanoke stations successfully lobbied to have Danville included in their DMA and the Greensboro DMA stations, because of significant viewed status in the Danville area were retained by cable.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #11197 of 11419 Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Newbie
 
Old Disc Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
ejb1980 asks:
 
 Where exactly is the DMA line up there? Fox 8 weather, for example, highlights the counties around Martinsville and Danville as if they were in-market, but they're not on other stations or the DMA list. The Roanoke/Lynchburg stations also claim those counties. Does Van have friends there or is it some other reason? I looked on the Directv website, and those areas get WGHP, in HD, in addition to Fox 21/27 in HD. Yet Orange County, NC is not highlighted on the weather map, when cable and satellite both carry WGHP there (although not in HD.) How does cable chose the carriage lines for LP's, like how do they chose to only show in X county, even though X Y and Z counties get it OTA. What's the cable coverage like in Virginia, with WMDV? Does any cable company carry both WGSR and WMDV?

Where to start......

 

The Greensboro DMA includes Rockingham, Caswell, Stokes, Alamance and Guilford counties in NC, plus Henry and Patrick counties and their associated independent cities in VA.  The Greensboro DMA does NOT include Pittsylvania or Halifax counties, or their associated independent cities of Danville, Halifax or South Boston in Virginia.  Until the early 90's, viewership areas were based on an Arbitron approximation called ADI or "Area of Dominant Influence" and was a fairly informal way of being able to select a spot on the map and have some idea of what television stations were watched by people who lived there.  Under that arrangement, any given place could be in two or more different ADI's, depending on how close other large cities with television stations were to that given place.

 

Enter the FCC's decision to allow two (or rarely more) TV stations in a given area to have common ownership.  A way had to be found to say that a station in a given city either could or could not be owned by the same company, and the multiple ADI overlaps made such decisions complicated.  The Nielsen company had a scheme for doing this, called the DMA or "Dominant Market Area".  Its rules clearly stated that a given place had to be in ONE DMA, ANOTHER DMA or in NO DMA, but not in multiple DMAs.  This led to something of a scramble among TV stations to claim border areas and whatever "no-man's land" that they could reasonably say was more significantly viewed by their stations than by those of the adjacent markets.  Danville/Pittsylvania County in VA was just such a place.

 

In fact, there was an interesting TV station that was started about that time which illustrated the changes that going from TSA to DMA had on what we see today.  A full-power UHF station was started on Channel 24 in Danville VA with the callsign WDRG (for Danville, Roanoke, Greensboro) and became the affiliate of record for the WB in the Greensboro market because it was in the Greensboro ADI at the time.  It set up its transmitter across the state line in Pelham NC to get it closer to Greensboro to cover the market better.  Technically, it was in the Roanoke ADI too, but the WB considered Roanoke to be a cable-only market served by the WB-100 system.  

 

About this same time, Pappas acquired WEJC, Channel 20 in Lexington NC, and wanted the WB but could not get it because of WDRG.  I believe that this situation may have been part of the reason that Danville/Pittsylvania County was moved to the Roanoke DMA, making WDRG a Roanoke Market station and causing it to lose its affiliation with the WB.  WEFC got the WB for the Greensboro market, changed callsign to WBFX (then WTWB and now WCWG).  WDRG changed their callsign to WDRL (for Danville, Roanoke, Lynchburg), got affiliation for the Roanoke market with UPN and moved their transmitter to Smith Mountain Lake in northern Pittsylvania county to be closer to Roanoke and Lynchburg, the chief cities of that market.  Now that station is know as WTLU and is owned by Liberty University carrying religious content.

 

Next question is about cable coverage.....as I've said before, that is complicated and based to a large extent on how an individual cable company chooses to arrange their distribution system.  Most cable companies started out as CATV, or "Community Antenna Television" and were built by local or regional businesses to serve a specific local area.  In Rockingham County there were three separate services in the 60's and the 70's, serving Reidsville, Eden and Madison/Mayodan with clear signals of both the Greensboro and the Roanoke TV stations and a smattering of channels like TBS, CBN, PTL and MTV and pay services HBO and Showtime.  In the mid 80's, the FCC instituted must-carry rules for cable systems and first authorized Low Power (LPTV) broadcasting.  Those two actions are what put LPTV station W14AU on the screens of cable subscribers in Rockingham County.

 

The little CATV services were bought out by bigger money, first by Summit Cable Services and later by TWC, and between those two were consolidated into a county-wide service served by a consolidated head-end in Wentworth.  TWC has maintained the head-end in Wentworth (not consolidating it with their major control point on Spring Garden Road in Greensboro) for two reasons:  1)  Franchise agreement with Rockingham county for a community channel for Rockingham Community College, and 2) Must-carry distribution of our signal to Rockingham County subscribers.  The franchise agreement with Rockingham county ends soon, thanks to legislation converting that franchise from local control to state control.  TWC already has moved off-air reception for re-transmission of WGSR to their Spring Garden facility, eliminating the last necessity for having a head-end in Rockingham County.  With the purchase of TWC by Comcast, further consolidation of Rockingham County's cable service with that of the rest of the Greensboro metro is likely to occur, along the lines of what Comcast does in Virginia.

 

When Comcast bought out the bankrupt Adelphia system in southside VA, it immediately began consolidating head-ends and eliminating facilities that it no longer needed.  When it consolidated those services in Henry and Pittsylvania Counties in VA with their agreement to be the cable provider for Caswell County in NC, WGSR became available area-wide on the Virginia side of the line.  Further, our company asked for (and received) carriage in neighboring Halifax County and its independent cities.

 

Within a few months of our going on the air with WMDV in Danville, creditors forced WDRL, the other station in that city, into receivership.  The receiver immediately took the station dark, leaving a void in the cable systems of southside VA.  We offered Comcast and Chatmoss Cable (the other cable company in Henry and Pittsylvania counties) the opportunity to carry WMDV on their systems in the same areas they carry WGSR.  They took the offer, and because we offer our Martinsville Cable 18 as one of the digital subchannels of WGSR, Comcast in Danville and Chatmoss now carry all three of our signals.  Virginia has been VERY GOOD to Star News Corporation.

 

That is probably more information than you wanted to know.....but you asked.  On to the future!

 

Later. . . .

Matt (The Old Disc Jockey)

Old Disc Jockey is offline  
post #11198 of 11419 Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
difuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Disc Jockey View Post

Where to start......


Later. . . .
Matt (The Old Disc Jockey)

Matt, I hope things work out well for WGSR. I do wonder how the station can integrate into Guilford County. News and, local talk more or less drive the station. If WGSR shows a CCTV recording of a robbery in Greensboro, it may not be grandma calling telling the station to stop showing her grandson on TV; it might be a visit from somebody. What I mean, is, news coverage of Greensboro might not be done the way it is done for smaller communities, without some problems. Crime videos and perp pictures might not work out so well in Guilford county. If the station changes much it could risk losing its traditional viewers. Personally, I'd like to see that sort of news, but, I can see real drawbacks. I'm not being negative about any of this, I just can't quite catch how it might be done. I hope it can.
difuse is offline  
post #11199 of 11419 Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

We base our weather forecasting on the DMA and historic viewing patterns. While Martinsville is a part of the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point DMA, Danville is not, but historically, Martinsville has never been interested in the NC stations (they prefer the VA stations) while Danville historically has been viewers of the NC stations. I am not sure why it isn't the other way around, but it isn't. In the late 80's or early 90's, I forget which, the Roanoke stations successfully lobbied to have Danville included in their DMA and the Greensboro DMA stations, because of significant viewed status in the Danville area were retained by cable.

According to the FCC, only Patrick County VA is part of the Greensboro DMA. Martinsville is not. Yet WGHP cares about them (and Danville) and they get you in HD. Also WFMY and WXII. Meanwhile, at my work in Carrboro, WGHP is only SD on cable and satellite and ignored, even on the weather maps. People do watch WGHP in Orange County, probably more than Martinsville, and more probably would if it was HD. It just doesn't make sense. Chatham County, NC, is another mess. Greensboro channels highlight it when it's technically Raleigh DMA.

As for station preference, you're right. I am sure that most of the time, they prefer VA. However, I bet they are interested in you during football season, additional games are great. I don't get Fox 21/27, but I do get WDBJ and if I didn't have Sunday Ticket, the Ravens games would be appreciated. There are occasionally times when WFMY, WRAL, and WDBJ show different games, which is fun. I prefer as many affiliates as possible, especially CBS ABC and FOX for sports. If there is a ticker on Fox 50, flip over to Fox 8. WRAL is the only station I watch regularly that doesn't use DMA-highlighted weather maps all the time, although they will outline Mecklenburg County while the rest of VA doesn't get county lines. DMA weather maps are the single most annoying thing to me (and others) on local TV. I bet if you polled viewers who care, you'd get rid of them tomorrow. Highlighting even just the SV out of market counties would be the easiest way to show those viewers "hey, we see you, we care!" without costing money. I know - there is no money in out of market viewers, and are not needed. Unless said viewer lives in VA.

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Greensboro-High_Point-Winston_Salem_NC.pdf

And Matt, that wasn't too much for me. I love that stuff. Since the ice storm, your signal has been hard to get for me. I am blaming it re-positioned trees.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #11200 of 11419 Old 05-25-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I don't know why some of these cable and satellite systems carry out of market channels in SD. There should be no technical reason to send out an inferior picture. Official DMA or not. As I understand it, they go to the trouble to downgrade the picture anyway, as most stations now only send out an HD signal to the cable/sat providers. I believe some of the Charlotte channels are carried in Lexington and Thomasville in Davidson County. But yet I understand they may still be in SD. And the Charlotte channels are also in SD in Gaffney, SC, whereas the GSP channels are HD. Seems aggravating and unnecessary, but you can get the HD versions of course with your own antenna.
tylerSC is offline  
post #11201 of 11419 Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Newbie
 
Old Disc Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is just a guess.....it may have to do with the FCC's mandate with digital TV that:

 

1)  If the cable company is capable of delivering HDTV signals to customers, and...

2)  The broadcast station is able to deliver an HDTV signal to the cable system's head-end, and...

3)  The station is located within the DMA, then...

 

The cable company is required to deliver that station's signal in HD to their customers.  We had to make that argument to TWC that this ruling included LPTV stations, before we got WGSR on their system in HD...and they HAD the equipment there to do it from the first day we went HD.

 

I am aware that, for the current way the cable company is configured, adding an HDTV signal requires additional bandwith because they have to be backward-redundant with all of the TV sets that have not been replaced since new analog receivers were discontinued...they literally have to have a separate signal on the system for both analog and digital receivers.  Bandwidth is precious to cable companies, so they are going to do everything possible to minimize that bandwidth usage while meeting the letter of the law and FCC regulations.

 

Since the regulations leave open the factor that they do not HAVE to carry the non-DMA stations in HD, it appears that they may be just supplying the SD signal in such cases to save bandwidth.  That situation should change when TWC finally gets everyone on a digital box and they take down all of the analog signals.

 

Later.....

Matt

Old Disc Jockey is offline  
post #11202 of 11419 Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
eacalhoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 5 mi SW of Morganton, NC
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Back to the DMA boundary discussion...

I have heard/thought that residential retail shopping destinations play a role in which DMA a county lands. For example, I live in Morganton, NC in Burke County - Burke is in the Charlotte DMA. When traveling out of county to shop, many residents travel Hickory in Catawba County, which is also in the Charlotte DMA. If it was determined that more Burke County residents traveled to Asheville (Buncombe County, which is the Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg DMA) versus Hickory, could Burke's DMA swing to Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg? Also, I am fairly certain that Pocahontas County WV (Marlinton, WV) is in the Roanoke-Lynchburg DMA. But, they have also been in the Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill DMA and and it seems (I think) this has had a history of going back and forth between the two DMAs. If so, how does/has this happened?

It would seem simpler for Cable and DBS to abide by the same local carriage rules. And personally - like countless DBS subscribers - I would like to have the option of Significantly Viewed and for folks like my in-laws in Clay County (NC) an actual change to their DMA - or at least a choice. They are in the same situation as other DBS customers across the country who would like to see local news from their home state, but because of the wonderful NAB/FCC they must view Atlanta locals.

Eric

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
eacalhoun is offline  
post #11203 of 11419 Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Is Clay County, NC closer to Atlanta than Asheville? Looks like it would be part of Asheville-GSP market, but I am not that familiar. Looks like they would art least carry WLOS for NC mountain news. On the other hand, there are viewers in northeastern Georgia who would prefer to view Atlanta channels, but the cable carries Greenville-Spartanburg and Asheville.
tylerSC is offline  
post #11204 of 11419 Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Member
 
blackcap93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, NC
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Clay County is part of the Atlanta DMA, Cherokee County is part of the Chattanooga DMA; otherwise, western NC is part of the GSPA area.
blackcap93 is offline  
post #11205 of 11419 Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I see more ads for the Tanger Outlets on the Raleigh channels, even though the Tanger Outlets are technically in the Greensboro DMA. The outlet center is literally on the line and closer to Durham than any city in the Greensboro DMA. That is how I feel about most of my local channels. I have never been to Winston Salem or High Point, let alone anything west of there, other than passing through once or twice. I live in one DMA but spend a good chunk of my time in the neighboring one so the traffic and much of the news means nothing to me. The same can be said of Wilson County and Fayetteville, too, of course.When the stupid DMA-weather maps raise up and cover up what's right next to it, that is worthless to those of us on the edge. OTA, it's a mix. The clearest ABC and only NBC I get OTA are not local to me, somehow - that will never make sense. Alamance county has nothing to do with Wilkes County yet they are local. Orange County is right down the road and it;s a distant, foreign lane. We need a Greensboro - Durham - Chapel Hill news station! (I know that won't work financially...)

Radio is becoming the same way. G105 is basically crystal clear here, the HD is pretty constant too. B93.9 is far clearer than 104.1. Yet we are never mentioned. 105.7 is a staticy mess - and once you get east of the Haw River, there's another station cutting into it - and yet I have heard them shot out Burlington.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #11206 of 11419 Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
G105 has a strong signal. Unless they have changed it. It used to be received all the way to Rowan County. But sometimes they change these radio signal patterns to reach specific areas. For example, 107.9 the Link used to have a strong, omnidirectional signal from the same tall Dallas tower as WBTV. It would reach clearly into Greenville-Spartanburg and Asheville. But about 8 years ago they changed to a more directional antenna, which has a null to the west. The stronger signal now seems to be aimed directly down the Hwy. 74 corridor east of Charlotte. Supposedly because of the DMA counties. But I still get it clearly in the house, including the HD Radio signal. But reception is now spotty in the car past Spartanburg. Wish they would remove the null because I like listening to Bob and Sheri in the car in the mornings.
tylerSC is offline  
post #11207 of 11419 Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

For example, 107.9 the Link used to have a strong, omnidirectional signal from the same tall Dallas tower as WBTV. It would reach clearly into Greenville-Spartanburg and Asheville. But about 8 years ago they changed to a more directional antenna, which has a null to the west. The stronger signal now seems to be aimed directly down the Hwy. 74 corridor east of Charlotte. Supposedly because of the DMA counties. But I still get it clearly in the house, including the HD Radio signal. But reception is now spotty in the car past Spartanburg. Wish they would remove the null because I like listening to Bob and Sheri in the car in the mornings.

What are you talking about? WLNK replaced their omni antenna on WBTV's tower in 2005 after it was damaged... with another omni antenna at the exact same height on the same tower.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #11208 of 11419 Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

What are you talking about? WLNK replaced their omni antenna on WBTV's tower in 2005 after it was damaged... with another omni antenna at the exact same height on the same tower.

- Trip
Yes it was 2005 when they replaced the old antenna for WLNK. They used to have a very strong omnidirectional signal, with clear reception in Greenville-Spartanburg. But they now have a null to the west, and I called the station to confirm it. They said they wanted a stronger signal to the east of Charlotte, because that is more of their official DMA and the big population growth was Union County, NC. So basically the signal is somehow aimed east of Charlotte down the Hwy. 74 corridor. I get a much stronger and clear signal from 95.1 and 96.1 which also originate from the Dallas towers. I hope 107.9 would eventually reconsider and remove the null from their antenna. Their signal to the west is far inferior to their old antenna.
tylerSC is offline  
post #11209 of 11419 Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

G105 has a strong signal. Unless they have changed it. It used to be received all the way to Rowan County. But sometimes they change these radio signal patterns to reach specific areas. For example, 107.9 the Link used to have a strong, omnidirectional signal from the same tall Dallas tower as WBTV. It would reach clearly into Greenville-Spartanburg and Asheville. But about 8 years ago they changed to a more directional antenna, which has a null to the west. The stronger signal now seems to be aimed directly down the Hwy. 74 corridor east of Charlotte. Supposedly because of the DMA counties. But I still get it clearly in the house, including the HD Radio signal. But reception is now spotty in the car past Spartanburg. Wish they would remove the null because I like listening to Bob and Sheri in the car in the mornings.

Yeah, the HD on G105 will last until the eastern part of Greensboro, but it is not constant west of Alamance County. Their playlist is impressive for a iHR Top 40 station. Their HD2 is essentially 106.5 The End (called 95X) and is relayed on 95.3 in Clayton/Raleigh. The little translator has decent power, the power given, I assume, as a result of the massive coverage of G105. I cant get 95.3 in the car here, due to WPCM 95.1 bleeding over and it being quite a ways away, but I do get it weakly with my TV antenna. 95.3 isn't really an option in the car until the 85/40 split/merge in Orange County. They are also basically the same as the new 105.7, except no Woody and Wilcox and they sometimes have actual local DJs. The music played is usually identical. There is a surplus of top 40 here and no clear rock/alternative choices. The whole 105.7/100.3 switch made zero sense. They changed The Buzz to be like 106.5 The End. Then move the signal so half of it overlaps. Then, take the top 40 from 105.7 and put it on 100.3 so they overlap with G105. The "Old" Buzz is still around, on 100.3-2. Other rock choices are 96.1 and 96.3, but neither are clear. Classic Rock on 92.3 could be clear, if 92.3 WXLK from Roanoke would let it alone. The HD of Roanoke often displays on Rock 92 and will overpower it for 2 or 3 seconds at a time.

I know radio talk is generally frowned upon in the TV forums, so I apologize if anyone is irritated.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #11210 of 11419 Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why is there a green bar on the bottom of WGHP during some syndicated shows? It is there on the OTA and D* HD feed of WGHP. I notice it during Seinfeld at night, but it's there many other time, too. It is similar to the black bar that used to be on top of WXLV, except it's on the bottom . And bright green. Seinfeld on WLFL does not have this bar.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #11211 of 11419 Old 06-01-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Why is there a green bar on the bottom of WGHP during some syndicated shows? It is there on the OTA and D* HD feed of WGHP. I notice it during Seinfeld at night, but it's there many other time, too. It is similar to the black bar that used to be on top of WXLV, except it's on the bottom . And bright green. Seinfeld on WLFL does not have this bar.

I went back and looked at Seinfeld on the OTA logger which doesn't have any overscan and I did not see any green bar at the bottom. My guess would have been something in the transcoding from the server to the playback system. Seinfeld is not fed linearly to us. It is sent to a server at the station where we then ftp the file to the automation system where it is transcoded for playback linearly. But I am not seeing any transcoding artifacts off air. I will look at it again when I go in tomorrow and look at the actual file and see what it looks like.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is online now  
post #11212 of 11419 Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I went back and looked at Seinfeld on the OTA logger which doesn't have any overscan and I did not see any green bar at the bottom. My guess would have been something in the transcoding from the server to the playback system. Seinfeld is not fed linearly to us. It is sent to a server at the station where we then ftp the file to the automation system where it is transcoded for playback linearly. But I am not seeing any transcoding artifacts off air. I will look at it again when I go in tomorrow and look at the actual file and see what it looks like.

This is what it looks like. It was not there during 30 Rock. Not a huge deal, but still annoying, especially once the eye catches it.


ejb1980 is offline  
post #11213 of 11419 Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Newbie
 
GVR_Old_Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Free to someone:

I have a new-in-the-box Radio Shack branded VHF / FM antenna I'd like to give to someone. The box doesn't have a model or part number on it but it was marketed as their top of the line long distance VHF and FM antenna. I'm guessing the length of the beam is about 120". My plan was to use it to receive long distance FM radio stations but I never got around to installing it.

I live near the Town of Midway in northern Davidson County. Because of the length you will most likely need a SUV, station wagon or pickup. I don't think it will easily fit in a car.

If interested, you can contact me by email at fogle622@(NO_SPAM)yahoo.com by taking out the spam reference.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

Jim
GVR_Old_Tech is offline  
post #11214 of 11419 Old 06-06-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 4,287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Probably made by Antennacraft. Sounds good for VHF TV or FM radio where strong reception is needed.
tylerSC is offline  
post #11215 of 11419 Old 06-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 12,840
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Posts moved into nearest regional thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is online now  
post #11216 of 11419 Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
If I wasn't so far, I'd love to have it. frown.gif

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #11217 of 11419 Old 06-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
jamawass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Channel 218 is not listed on my Windows media center pc guide or zap2it but I can tune it on my cable box. How do I rectify this? I've rebooted my tuner adapter and pc several times to no avail.
jamawass is offline  
post #11218 of 11419 Old 06-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
All week long, there have been promotions for Red Sox @ Tigers on WGHP. This is simply unacceptable. Ignoring the fact that the Orioles game is available and they are a local team according to MLB and we can watch all of their MASN games, why promote Red Sox and show Yankees? Beyond disappointed in Fox 8.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #11219 of 11419 Old 06-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
veedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

All week long, there have been promotions for Red Sox @ Tigers on WGHP. This is simply unacceptable. Ignoring the fact that the Orioles game is available and they are a local team according to MLB and we can watch all of their MASN games, why promote Red Sox and show Yankees? Beyond disappointed in Fox 8.

 

I'm just glad to see the Royals get some TV airtime. I'm not so fond of the Yankees, but there are a lot of New York transplants all up and down the east coast, so no TV network is going to turn its back on such a large audience.

veedon is offline  
post #11220 of 11419 Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I'm just glad to see the Royals get some TV airtime. I'm not so fond of the Yankees, but there are a lot of New York transplants all up and down the east coast, so no TV network is going to turn its back on such a large audience.

Then why advertise it? The OTA, TWC, Directv, and Dish guides as well as all online guides I found show Red Sox @ Tigers showing on WGHP. Yet, last second - Yankees. There are many Red Sox fans in NC.
ejb1980 is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off