Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I'm just glad to see the Royals get some TV airtime. I'm not so fond of the Yankees, but there are a lot of New York transplants all up and down the east coast, so no TV network is going to turn its back on such a large audience.

Then why advertise it? The OTA, TWC, Directv, and Dish guides as well as all online guides I found show Red Sox @ Tigers showing on WGHP. Yet, last second - Yankees. There are many Red Sox fans in NC.

Maybe there was some law passed making today New York Day on network TV.

The Yankees were on FOX in prime time, and NBC had the Belmont Stakes followed by the NY Rangers playing in the Stanley Cup finals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11247 Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I'm just glad to see the Royals get some TV airtime. I'm not so fond of the Yankees, but there are a lot of New York transplants all up and down the east coast, so no TV network is going to turn its back on such a large audience.

Then why advertise it? The OTA, TWC, Directv, and Dish guides as well as all online guides I found show Red Sox @ Tigers showing on WGHP. Yet, last second - Yankees. There are many Red Sox fans in NC.

We are given a list of games we would "prefer" to air. It is ultimately up to FOX and MLB which game we air. We have no say in the final decision.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11223 of 11247 Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
was WGHP's o-t-a signal off or possibly on a lower power for a bit this afternoon? (saturday 6/14). of course antenna reception isn't perfect, but for a while i couldn't get ANY signal. a couple of hours later i tried again and it's as strong as ever now. i live in rural hall, attic mounted cm (original) 4221 with a booster amp and a rotor.
post #11224 of 11247 Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos1001 View Post
was WGHP's o-t-a signal off or possibly on a lower power for a bit this afternoon? (saturday 6/14). of course antenna reception isn't perfect, but for a while i couldn't get ANY signal. a couple of hours later i tried again and it's as strong as ever now. i live in rural hall, attic mounted cm (original) 4221 with a booster amp and a rotor.
From 11:10am to 3:20pm we were operating on our standby antenna as we were doing tower light maintenance on the lights at the antenna level.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11225 of 11247 Old 06-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
From 11:10am to 3:20pm we were operating on our standby antenna as we were doing tower light maintenance on the lights at the antenna level.
ahhh, makes sense. thanks foxeng!
post #11226 of 11247 Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WMYV to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

dtv_junkie87
post #11227 of 11247 Old 06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WGPX is gone OTA and from Directv. Anyone know what happened?
post #11228 of 11247 Old 06-24-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is still on my HR20.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

post #11229 of 11247 Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

"no need to call us" slide is on Ch 16 on my HR34 and there is no signal OTA. WGPX and WUNC are my strongest signals, usually nearly 100%.
post #11230 of 11247 Old 06-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use OTA and I lost ION network on Channel 16 as well.
post #11231 of 11247 Old 06-26-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

It's back now.
post #11232 of 11247 Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I see it is. Thanks.
post #11233 of 11247 Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

This needs to be resolved. It's simply unacceptable. I don't want to hear excuses about Fox sending what they want - someone somewhere needs to fix this. It happens FAR FAR FAR too often. It does happen with other Fox stations, but not nearly as much as WGHP. At least WRAZ is showing the advertised game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20140628_203629.jpeg (465.9 KB, 11 views)
post #11234 of 11247 Old 06-28-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Greensboro, NC - HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
This needs to be resolved. It's simply unacceptable. I don't want to hear excuses about Fox sending what they want - someone somewhere needs to fix this. It happens FAR FAR FAR too often. It does happen with other Fox stations, but not nearly as much as WGHP. At least WRAZ is showing the advertised game.
Ok, since you didn't understand me the last time you DEMANDED action, let me put this as bluntly as possible, WE CAN ONLY BROADCAST THE GAME FOX SENDS US BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL TO CHANGE WHAT THEY SEND US.

My suggestion to you would be to contact FOX and complain to them. We have told them what game we would like to have. Beyond that request, it is totally up to them and MLB.

Got it? Good.

Last edited by foxeng; 06-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.
post #11235 of 11247 Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, any baseball game is better than World Cup soccer. And it's nice to know that at least a little bit of MLB still exists on broadcast TV instead of on ESPN. TV broadcasts of MLB began 75 years ago in NYC, but every year more and more games move over to cable.

I do wish the baseball players would learn how to wear their socks correctly, though, instead of having the pant legs go all the way down to the tops of their shoes.

Last edited by veedon; 06-28-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #11236 of 11247 Old 06-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, since you didn't understand me the last time you DEMANDED action, let me put this as bluntly as possible, WE CAN ONLY BROADCAST THE GAME FOX SENDS US BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL TO CHANGE WHAT THEY SEND US.

My suggestion to you would be to contact FOX and complain to them. We have told them what game we would like to have. Beyond that request, it is totally up to them and MLB.

Got it? Good.
They say to contact the local affiliate. I emailed them before I posted here, maybe I'll hear back, maybe I won't. They have said previously that the local affiliates chose and they give them what they ask for. They gave NFL games as an example, but said that the MLB is similar. I tried to find the email, but it's been a while and I can't find it.

I get the same run around when I inquire as to why I can't watch "local" games on my phone with the Sunday Ticket package. They say that the local affiliates are responsible for providing an online stream of the games that are on Sunday Ticket. WFMY said that streaming is available with Directv's Sunday Ticket option. I got nothing from WGHP, WRAL/WRAZ. Not helpful.

Got the game? Yes. Thanks to not Fox 8.
post #11237 of 11247 Old 06-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

I can certainly understand why FOX wants to reserve the right to make changes to its regional slate of Saturday baseball games on fairly short notice.

When the tentative slate was announced in February, the Braves-Phillies game was not even on the schedule for June 28. An April 15 game between the two teams was postponed, and I think that is what caused today's day-night doubleheader to be scheduled.

The Braves are currently tied with the Washington Nationals for first place in the NL East. That may have influenced the decision to bump Red Sox - Yankees and go with Phillies-Braves instead.

Here in Raleigh, there is less interest in the Braves than in Greensboro, and there are more transplants from the northeast, so maybe that's why FOX chose to give WRAZ the Yankees game.

The FOX contract is big money. The affiliates may have some input, but the final say has to belong to the network.

Everybody's a critic. Some people ask why the whole state of Missouri did not get to see the Cardinals game. But some people in western Missouri might be Royals fans, and since the Royals were not on the slate, they would prefer to see an AL game rather than the Cardinals-Dodgers matchup.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...-broadcast-map
post #11238 of 11247 Old 06-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I can certainly understand why FOX wants to reserve the right to make changes to its regional slate of Saturday baseball games on fairly short notice.

When the tentative slate was announced in February, the Braves-Phillies game was not even on the schedule for June 28. An April 15 game between the two teams was postponed, and I think that is what caused today's day-night doubleheader to be scheduled.

The Braves are currently tied with the Washington Nationals for first place in the NL East. That may have influenced the decision to bump Red Sox - Yankees and go with Phillies-Braves instead.

Here in Raleigh, there is less interest in the Braves than in Greensboro, and there are more transplants from the northeast, so maybe that's why FOX chose to give WRAZ the Yankees game.

The FOX contract is big money. The affiliates may have some input, but the final say has to belong to the network.

Everybody's a critic. Some people ask why the whole state of Missouri did not get to see the Cardinals game. But some people in western Missouri might be Royals fans, and since the Royals were not on the slate, they would prefer to see an AL game rather than the Cardinals-Dodgers matchup.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...-broadcast-map
It doesn't bother me that WGHP showed the "wrong" game - in the long run it benefited me because I got both games. Technically, WGHP SHOULD have shown the Braves game since Greensboro is in the Braves local area and the Braves are not. It must be horrible to like MLB and live in Raleigh with TWC - no local teams! MASN isn't carried so you can't watch the Nats and O's and the Braves and Reds territories each seem to stop at the DMA line, from what I have been able to figure out.

It bothers me that WGHP continually does this and everyone blames someone else. Someone somewhere can fix this and clearly people would rather play the blame game than do something about it. WGHP should just put "MLB Baseball" in the guide because whatever they're doing now isn't working.

At least we don't live in Columbia, SC. Using the logic of NL East standing, WRAZ probably SHOULD have shown the Cubs - Nats game since the Nats are a "local" team. Luckily, no one cares about them.

Last edited by ejb1980; 06-29-2014 at 06:51 AM.
post #11239 of 11247 Old 06-29-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I understand your frustration about sports coverage, but it does sound like WGHP has no choice in the matter, and must air what FOX sends to them. So not really their fault. I don't know if WHNS and WJZY show the same games or have different options. But WBTV and WSPA often air different NFL games during football season, so it can be nice at times to have a choice.
post #11240 of 11247 Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In trying to get to the bottom on what the true story is on the MLB game situation, it is starting to look like TWC's EPG provider is having some issue since we have confirmed that the games listed in their EPG was not what was on our OTA EPG, which comes from Tribune Media. We have a call into TWC now to find out what the deal is. When we find out, I will let you know. We have just started to scratch the surface.

post #11241 of 11247 Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Directv, Dish, and others get their info from Tribune, too. All providers I saw listed the Red Sox/Yankees game in the guide on WGHP. Disclaimer: I can't confirm U-Verse or Comcast. All online sites I saw also showed the Red Sox/Yankees game. I forgot to check the "Real" ota signal, only what the AM21 listings said, but that doesn't count since it's from Directv.

GetTV is now on WMYV 48-2. Directv users, I got 48-2 to appear in my guide, but it's completely off (showing KTBN 48-2 instead of WMYV 48-2). Can anyone else see accurate information for 48-2 so I can determine if it's worth resetting the stupid thing?

A while ago, I forced KTBN into my AM21 so that 40-3 and 40-4 would appear on my guide, although with incorrect guide data. KTBN is the TBN affiliate for Los Angeles. KTBN and WMYV share RF33, so I suspect that is the reason I am seeing it incorrectly.

Last edited by ejb1980; 07-01-2014 at 09:28 AM.
post #11242 of 11247 Old 07-01-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I think all of the Sinclair stations have now picked up the getTV. As it has now appeared on WMYA 40.2 in the GSP/Asheville market. Which is good as I seldom see WAXN 64.2 from Charlotte. So I am now pleased to be getting a good selection of movie channels, as well as MeTV on WSPA 7.2. I now also get Movies! network on WJZY 46.2, and ThisTV on 4.2 and 55.2. But I am now mssing Antenna TV, but I hope some other station will pick it up.
post #11243 of 11247 Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Last year we noted the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination. By many, that was the zenith of network news in terms of public service, given the means available to provide that service.
There was a long term effect on TV news, local stations included; it marked the first significant use of network news by WGHP, for example.
Within the last few days, there has been another anniversary. This one marks the silliest antics of network TV news,ever, to this point.
Early that morning I heard that John Kennedy jr 's aircraft had gone missing. At that point, I knew he was gone, and, few details would be made public for quite some time..
I rarely turned on a TV at work, but that morning I did, for the purpose of watch a live event, which I wished to see. What I got was four fawning females gushing over 3 or 4 photos of John-John Kennedy. The same 3 or 4, over and over as he had not been a big newsmaker.
That went on, and on, and on. They had nothing to say, as there was nothing to say. I turned the set back on every hour or so, and found the same nothing.
Ok...............for 35 years, I had only been barely aware that JFK,jr existed. For days I asked around as to why his plane disappearance and probable demise rated wall to wall network news coverage.
I never got an answer.
I don't think I will now.
If one were to look at the reasons for the demise of broadcast network news, one would need to look in a lot of places. But, 15 years ago, all went silly, and, maybe never stopped.
There's more. I wanted to know what happened with John-John that morning. By the time there was information, network news had moved on. I never did find out much from them..
post #11244 of 11247 Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
I never got an answer.
I don't think I will now.
Here is your answer. The aviators call it "Get home-itis." Flying when you really shouldn't just because you have to be somewhere. Just because you have a tricked out plane doesn't mean you can actually fly it in tricked out conditions. He wasn't as good a pilot as he thought he was. He didn't have enough time as PIC to do what he was trying to do. That kind of news for someone who is very famous is not widely reported.

First rule of General Aviation, never fly to a destination you can't drive back from if conditions are beyond what you or your aircraft can handle if you need to be on a tight schedule. Get Home-itis is very common. Almost as common as running out of fuel. It happens more than you think. And it shouldn't.

Last edited by foxeng; 07-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #11245 of 11247 Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Here is your answer. The aviators call it "Get home-itis." Flying when you really shouldn't just because you have to be somewhere. Just because you have a tricked out plane doesn't mean you can actually fly it in tricked out conditions. He wasn't as good a pilot as he thought he was. He didn't have enough time as PIC to do what he was trying to do. That kind of news for someone who is very famous is not widely reported.

First rule of General Aviation, never fly to a destination you can't drive back from if conditions are beyond what you or your aircraft can handle if you need to be on a tight schedule. Get Home-itis is very common. Almost as common as running out of fuel. It happens more than you think. And it shouldn't.
Thank you. I believe that falls in with the official investigations, and, is no doubt be as good as we may have for several decades.
But
My actual concern was why there were fawning females on the screen that Saturday moening, rather than the (British) Open Championship.
If I was not clear, I understood what had happened early that morning, and that little detail would be forthcoming.for some time. What bothered me was the wall to wall coverage of an event the news people had no information on. Hundreds of TV stations were revenue starved, not to mention the networks, and, for no reason I could then, or now, determine. The big deal was not that I saw no golf that morning, but why. I did not. After all day coverage of about 6 good sentences of information, the networks were back to more or less normal at primetime and afterwards. So, any real story there became no big deal..
post #11246 of 11247 Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
What bothered me was the wall to wall coverage of an event the news people had no information on. Hundreds of TV stations were revenue starved, not to mention the networks, and, for no reason I could then, or now, determine. The big deal was not that I saw no golf that morning, but why. I did not. After all day coverage of about 6 good sentences of information, the networks were back to more or less normal at primetime and afterwards. So, any real story there became no big deal..
It was the death of a famous person who also had the last name of Kennedy and who was the son of an assassinated president. This is nothing new.

The Kennedy assassination (considered the first major news event of the TV era) itself ran for 3 days wall to wall with no information other than hearsay, and rumors and the assassination of the accused killer himself and the funeral. 9/11 ran 7 days wall to wall with nothing to show but pictures of the pile and replays of the planes flying into the buildings and the collapse of the buildings.

The public expects the news media to be there, whether there is anything or not and to stay with it until the public grows tired and moves on to the next thing. Newspapers did it with extra editions before TV and radio. So if you are to be believed in quite times of news, you have to be all out during times of mayhem and uncertainty. It is what we do. It is how the business works and has for over 175 years.

post #11247 of 11247 Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM

Quote:
It was the death of a famous person who also had the last name of Kennedy and who was the son of an assassinated president. This is nothing new.

The Kennedy assassination (considered the first major news event of the TV era) itself ran for 3 days wall to wall with no information other than hearsay, and rumors and the assassination of the accused killer himself and the funeral. 9/11 ran 7 days wall to wall with nothing to show but pictures of the pile and replays of the planes flying into the buildings and the collapse of the buildings.

The public expects the news media to be there, whether there is anything or not and to stay with it until the public grows tired and moves on to the next thing. Newspapers did it with extra editions before TV and radio. So if you are to be believed in quite times of news, you have to be all out during times of mayhem and uncertainty. It is what we do. It is how the business works and has for over 175 years.
Print journalism has been ongoing in what is the US for at least 3 centuries. North Carolina would not enter unto Union without an assurance of freedom of the press.
I witnessed 3 days of coverage of a sudden change in the Chief Executive in 1963, Prior to that, coverage of the early space program, presidential press conferences, political conventions.......
coverage of the failed attempt on Ron Reagan was full of information , some good., some questionable, bit it was a serious event. So, also 911, which played out in a lot more places than NYC.
My point was that network news was silly in attempting to equate the events leading to the demise of JFK,jr in the same way. He was only famous for being famous, or, rather, his name being famous.
If that is what it is, let it continue. Local news outlets would not be so silly. WGHP certainly would not. It could not afford to be seen as silly in that way. Freedom of the press means that those in the press who wish silliness can be silly, and those who see them as as silly can ignore them
They are being ignored by millions.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page