post #11281 of 11296 Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by amos1001 View Post
On WXII's 12-2 station, "Me-TV" Saturday night at 11, Get Smart goes off, and a promo comes on...

"Thank you North Carolina for making us America's number one all classic tv network. MeTV, WXH-TV 12 Plus."

Missed it by THAT MUCH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11282 of 11296 Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by amos1001 View Post
Here's something you guys will get a laugh out of.

Obviously nobody listened to this before it aired.

On WXII's 12-2 station, "Me-TV" Saturday night at 11, Get Smart goes off, and a promo comes on...

"Thank you North Carolina for making us America's number one all classic tv network. MeTV, WXH-TV 12 Plus."

Yes, he actually said W X H - TV. Was his script handwritten on a bar napkin? How poorly was the writing for II to look like H.

Yes, we all make mistakes. But wow.
Its still WXH-TV this morning.... but I'm sure the next time a real person gets near a mic up there, it will change.
post #11283 of 11296 Old 08-24-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
It irritates me that WXII 12-2's logo bug reads METV Greensboro. WXII's COL is obviously Winston-Salem.
This is the Greensboro market. That is where it comes from. People outside of the area only see the first city name in the market and use that. They don't drill down any further than that. It was the same way when FOX owned us. They called us their "Greensboro station." Last owners did the same and current owners continue the trend. As far as the outside world goes, all stations are in Greensboro, no matter what their COL is. Unfortunately, that won't be changing.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #11284 of 11296 Old 08-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
This is the Greensboro market. That is where it comes from. People outside of the area only see the first city name in the market and use that. They don't drill down any further than that. It was the same way when FOX owned us. They called us their "Greensboro station." Last owners did the same and current owners continue the trend. As far as the outside world goes, all stations are in Greensboro, no matter what their COL is. Unfortunately, that won't be changing.

Because of the RDU airport, some people have taken to speaking of "Raleigh-Durham", which is quite annoying because Raleigh and Durham are quite different. WTVD definitely pays more attention to Durham than WRAL does.

How did Fayetteville get tossed into the same DMA as Raleigh?
And why is WNCN's city of license Goldsboro instead of Raleigh?
post #11285 of 11296 Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Because of the RDU airport, some people have taken to speaking of "Raleigh-Durham", which is quite annoying because Raleigh and Durham are quite different. WTVD definitely pays more attention to Durham than WRAL does.

My parents swear they are the same city. For fun, I remind them that the airport is actually in Morrisville. WTVD Durham should have their news studios in Durham. With their studios in downtown Raleigh, it's hard to get the more Durham feel, but I guess they do mention Durham than WRAL. Interesting observation about Fayetteville. Fayetteville is no further from Raleigh than Burlington is - but we won't go down that road again.

I have noticed that all of the Directv feeds of the locals say "Greensboro" in the station info, even on WGPX, WCWG, WXII, WGHP. The AM21 feeds get more of them correct but some are still off (WGPX). WSET says Roanoke, not Lynchburg. etc etc. I have seen DMAs up north (Boston MA, Portland, ME, and Burlington VT with some cities correctly ID'ed and not others. I guess it's okay to say "Greensboro" but, to me at least, to call WXII-2 Greensboro is a glaring slap in the face that MeTV is far from local. Fox 50's MeTV just reads "50-2" for the local bug.
post #11286 of 11296 Old 08-24-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Not sure which came first, Nielsen moved them after the stations asked, or it is because of the govermnet putting them there for economic reasons and Nielsen followed suit.

Quote:

It is a move in. The Table of Assignments originally allocated it to Goldsboro. In the late 80's, the way the rules were written, as long as you could keep a city grade signal over COL, you could move the station anywhere you wanted. Since Goldsboro is not that far from Raleigh and is in the Raleigh market, and Raleigh having the money Goldsboro didn't, they moved it I was working for the company that built it originally when it was built in 1990. The original studio was in Clayton off of Bus US 70. The building is now a daycare center. When NBC bought the station, they moved the studios to Raleigh and changed network affiliation.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.

Last edited by foxeng; 08-24-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Tapatalk sucks.
post #11287 of 11296 Old 08-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
. I guess it's okay to say "Greensboro" but, to me at least, to call WXII-2 Greensboro is a glaring slap in the face that MeTV is far from local. Fox 50's MeTV just reads "50-2" for the local bug.
Do you expect every subchannel to have a local feel or to have locally produced programming? Remember that Me-TV is simply a network. It's the affiliates that are local. If the main channel has locally produced programming, it might be fine for a subchannel to just carry the network programming from the "diginet".

WRAZ's 50.2 only carries local programming when it airs a Durham Bulls minor league baseball game and when it airs the 10 p.m. newscast that is produced by WRAL.

I think a lot of viewers would object if the Me-TV feed were pre-empted for local programming too often. In the Philadelphia market, there is a Delaware station KJWP whose primary affiliation is Me-TV. The station carries some local public affairs programming, but viewers complain about the Me-TV programming being preempted.
post #11288 of 11296 Old 08-25-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Missed it by THAT MUCH.
Sorry about that, Chief!
post #11289 of 11296 Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Do you expect every subchannel to have a local feel or to have locally produced programming? Remember that Me-TV is simply a network. It's the affiliates that are local. If the main channel has locally produced programming, it might be fine for a subchannel to just carry the network programming from the "diginet".

WRAZ's 50.2 only carries local programming when it airs a Durham Bulls minor league baseball game and when it airs the 10 p.m. newscast that is produced by WRAL.

I think a lot of viewers would object if the Me-TV feed were pre-empted for local programming too often. In the Philadelphia market, there is a Delaware station KJWP whose primary affiliation is Me-TV. The station carries some local public affairs programming, but viewers complain about the Me-TV programming being preempted.
I am not talking about pre-emptions. I am talking about the little bug in the corner.
post #11290 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys!

First post here on the AVS forums! I've gotten some good info just from this thread so far, so I want to send out kudos to you all for participating in this thread! I do have several questions that I hope you can answer - in layman's terms if possible. Bare with me as I'm trying to be brief yet thorough.

OK, first off, I live in Oak Ridge, NC, just off route 68. Our house is the last house in our neighborhood, and it is surround by trees except for the front side. However, it's not thick woods, I think there could be a line of sight to the sky, but the trees are very tall.

I'm wanting to cut the cord, and go strictly OTA. I'm hoping it will be possible to pick up Roanoke, VA stations. The reason is that I'm a huge Redskins fan (don't laugh) and I would like to catch the games shown on VA Fox stations that are not shown in the Triad. Other than that, I simply just want to make sure I pick up all of the major broadcast stations: CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS, and I think my wife likes to watch the CW (is it still called CW Network?)

So, here's what I'm thinking I need, and correct me if I'm wrong. A directional UHF/VHF antenna that is rated up to 100 miles, a pre-amp to help reel in those Roanoke channels, and a rotor system? As far as mounting the antenna, I guess I have two options? Mount it to the roof or get one of those telescoping masts that I can crank into the air and mount it in the backyard? Am I right in assuming that is what a telescoping mast does? I just don't know how high I would need to go in terms of mounting the antenna, but I'd want to go high enough to make this project worth the work. Lastly, I'd definitely like to have this thing grounded. I just don't know how to do that, OR how I would do that correctly. I just know that I don't want my new TV burnt to a crisp!

Anyways, I'd need help getting all this set up - especially if it has to be mounted to the roof. My wife has forbid me to climb up on the roof, lol! Is there anybody in the area who installs this stuff professionally? I'd purchase all the equipment if they can install for me. Thanks in advance for your help! I'm excited about cutting the cord! With a little one on the way, I'm just trying to do what I can to cut some major costs.
post #11291 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome gman40.

From Oak Ridge, as long as you don't live in a hole, OTA is very doable with antenna on the roof. All the local stations operate on UHF now, even though they still identify with the old analog channel numbers. The only 2 stations close by that is still on VHF is the PBS station out of Roanoke on channel 3. It is basically unwatchable since VHF channels 2-6 are susceptible to man made noise like bad spark plug wiring, vacuum cleaners, hand tools, etc and the ABC station on channel 13.

A UHF antenna similar to a bow tie type with modest amplification on a roof works quite well in the area for all the stations except PBS in Roanoke.

You will need to point almost due south to pick up the following stations:

WFMY 2 (channel 51)
WGHP 8 (channel 35)
WCWG 20 (channel 19)
WLXI 43 (channel 43)
WXLV 45 (channel 29)
WMYV 48 (channel 33)

Northeast of Greensboro
WGPX 16 (channel 14)

North of Winston-Salem on Sauratown Mt (almost due west from Oak Ridge)
WXII 12 (channel 31)
WUNL 26 (channel 32)

As far as the Roanoke stations go you should be able to get
WDBJ 7 CBS (channel 18)
WSLS 10 NBC (channel 30)
WSET 13 ABC (channel 13)
WFXR 21 FOX (channel 27)

Being north of Greensboro helps your reception of the Roanoke stations.

I live in north Greensboro off Battleground Ave and except for WSET 13 and the PBS channel 3, I get the main Roanoke stations along with all the local stations with an antenna and rotor on my single story roof.

Hope that is helpful.

post #11292 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Welcome gman40.

From Oak Ridge, as long as you don't live in a hole, OTA is very doable with antenna on the roof. All the local stations operate on UHF now, even though they still identify with the old analog channel numbers. The only 2 stations close by that is still on VHF is the PBS station out of Roanoke on channel 3. It is basically unwatchable since VHF channels 2-6 are susceptible to man made noise like bad spark plug wiring, vacuum cleaners, hand tools, etc and the ABC station on channel 13.

A UHF antenna similar to a bow tie type with modest amplification on a roof works quite well in the area for all the stations except PBS in Roanoke.

You will need to point almost due south to pick up the following stations:

WFMY 2 (channel 51)
WGHP 8 (channel 35)
WCWG 20 (channel 19)
WLXI 43 (channel 43)
WXLV 45 (channel 29)
WMYV 48 (channel 33)

Northeast of Greensboro
WGPX 16 (channel 14)

North of Winston-Salem on Sauratown Mt (almost due west from Oak Ridge)
WXII 12 (channel 31)
WUNL 26 (channel 32)

As far as the Roanoke stations go you should be able to get
WDBJ 7 CBS (channel 18)
WSLS 10 NBC (channel 30)
WSET 13 ABC (channel 13)
WFXR 21 FOX (channel 27)

Being north of Greensboro helps your reception of the Roanoke stations.

I live in north Greensboro off Battleground Ave and except for WSET 13 and the PBS channel 3, I get the main Roanoke stations along with all the local stations with an antenna and rotor on my single story roof.

Hope that is helpful.
Ah yes!!! Thank you so, very much Foxeng! I think I'm going to be OK where I live. I don't live in a hole, but I do have some tall trees surrounding the house, mainly on the backside. However, I'm thinking where I would have to turn the antenna to pick up Roanoke would be away from the trees anyway, so I should be OK with that. I've been able to pick up quite a few local channels on a broken old pair of rabbit ears, so I'm confident that I shouldn't have any problems with a roof top antenna.
So do you just have yours mounted on a 5 foot mast? How do you ground your antenna?
post #11293 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Hey guys!

First post here on the AVS forums! I've gotten some good info just from this thread so far, so I want to send out kudos to you all for participating in this thread! I do have several questions that I hope you can answer - in layman's terms if possible. Bare with me as I'm trying to be brief yet thorough.

OK, first off, I live in Oak Ridge, NC, just off route 68. Our house is the last house in our neighborhood, and it is surround by trees except for the front side. However, it's not thick woods, I think there could be a line of sight to the sky, but the trees are very tall.

I'm wanting to cut the cord, and go strictly OTA. .
Do you have the option of a deck or porch for mounting the antenna? No ladders, and a height advantage over the ground.
post #11294 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
Do you have the option of a deck or porch for mounting the antenna? No ladders, and a height advantage over the ground.
Hi Difuse! I do have a back deck. The back side of the house is surrounded by a wooded area though. Would you think I should consider mounting the antenna on a telescoping mast?
post #11295 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Hi Difuse! I do have a back deck. The back side of the house is surrounded by a wooded area though. Would you think I should consider mounting the antenna on a telescoping mast?
That would depend om what you can do. I'm using a double length mast with a 4 bay bowtie on the top, mounted on a deck. I can take it down and put it back up without any help, but, I can understand that some might not find that practical. I have no experience with telescopic masts. If the trees are an issue, they will be an issue no matter where the antenna is mounted.

Last edited by difuse; Yesterday at 01:53 PM.
post #11296 of 11296 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
That would depend om what you can do. I'm using a double length mast with a 4 bay bowtie on the top, mounted on a deck. I can take it down and put it back up without any help, but, I can understand that some might not find that practical. I have no experience with telescopic masts. If the trees are an issue, they will be an issue no matter where the antenna is mounted.
I little more. I have trees on 2 sides, north and east. I'm receiving the Triad stations through the trees, and, through the screen reflector, as the antenna is usually pointed toward Charlotte. I guess I'm doing alright with the set-up. Any refraction caused by the tress is probably being partially compensated for by having 4 elements stacked, giving a greater chance of catching the signal.
Don't jump in to anything, keep posting concerns, The more responses you get the better.
I have a few more thoughts I will post in a day or two..
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page